Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

I Say, Scrap The Ministers! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Say, Scrap The Ministers! (1695 Views)

Phone Numbers Of All The Ministers In Nigeria. / Revealed! Portfolios For The Ministers / The Ministers Nigeria Needs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 02, 2015
Who else has noticed that since the absence of Ministers in the different ministeries, things seem to be orderly managed.

The ministry of power is working better now. Nigerians now enjoy lesser power outages despite the fact that nothing much has being added to the national Grid.

The education ministry is working. No strikes or talk of it.

almost all the ministry seem to be adequately managed now with better outputs.

The best people to manage the ministries are the permanent secretaries. The have being in those ministeries for a very long time. the know the ins on out of it. The know the problems of the ministeries and How best to address them

Ministers most times are just politicians. The corruption in the systems are brought by them. They play politics with key ministerial functions and budget.

I propose that the perm sec be given more power to formulate policies. Each perm sec reports directly to the National Economic group or the president himself.

Ministers are very dispensable and are the bane of corruption in the system. If we must have them, then their numbers should be reduced.

6 Likes

Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by palserltd: 10:45am On Jul 02, 2015
hmmm...there is a sense in all these though but you cannot overrule the place of minister in any government. We are watching.

Please see my diary here https://www.nairaland.com/2421344/diary-nairalanders-works-display-photos
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Emenahagos02(m): 10:46am On Jul 02, 2015
Make I come
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Nobody: 10:47am On Jul 02, 2015
wise words op....
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 02, 2015
all what barcanista spewed is not very correct.
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by socialmediaman: 11:01am On Jul 02, 2015
OP ministers are needed constitually, the question is whether they should be headed by technocrats rather than core politicians.

My opinion is, ministerss should Be technocrats who are members of the national economic council, selected from successful multinationals, representing different ministries. Their jobs should be purely policy formulation based.

The minister should not be involved with ministry specific duties like recruitments, contract approvals etc. perm secs should be more focused with the internal workings of the ministry. The ministers are the ones who travel to supervise projects and make reports and recommendations to the presidency.

Perm secs should be more powerful than the ministers within the ministry itself, but the minister should be like the government eye when it comes to watching over things happening in the ministry and calling for the presidency's attention whenever necessary

That's the way it's supposed to be ideally.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by bobbiekrantz: 11:08am On Jul 02, 2015
I hate Excuses!!

if this dunce of a President can manage the whole ministries without a hitch.... then So be it!!!

We want him to start work!!
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 02, 2015
socialmediaman:
Typing
replying....
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Nobody: 11:12am On Jul 02, 2015
bobbiekrantz:
I hate Excuses!!

if this dunce of a President can manage the whole ministries without a hitch.... then So be it!!!

We want him to start work!!

He's already working man. you want him to start a reality show before you know that he is working? If you know buhari, he is not a show man. Take boko haram for instance, with the kind of strategy and diplomatic maneuvers that he is using, boko haram would be nipped in the bud once and for all. He's the kind of guy that calculates thoroughly before acting.
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by tamarabu(m): 11:15am On Jul 02, 2015
I see.......I will tell pple about ur opinion.
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by tamarabu(m): 11:17am On Jul 02, 2015
I see.......I will tell pple about ur view point
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Nobody: 11:40am On Jul 02, 2015
tamarabu:
I see.......I will tell pple about ur view point

Thanks Bro.
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Abagworo(m): 11:58am On Jul 02, 2015
shachris:
Who else has noticed that since the absence of Ministers in the different ministeries, things seem to be orderly managed.

The ministry of power is working better now. Nigerians now enjoy lesser power outages despite the fact that nothing much has being added to the national Grid.

The best people to manage the ministries are the permanent secretaries. The have being in those ministeries for a very long time. the know the ins on out of it. The know the problems of the ministeries and How best to address them

Ministers most times are just politicians. The corruption in the systems are brought by them. They play politics with key ministerial functions and budget.

I propose that the perm sec be given more power to formulate policies. Each perm sec reports directly to the National Economic group or the president himself.

Ministers are very dispensable and are the bane of corruption in the system. If we must have them, then their numbers should be reduced.

I agree with you. The truth is that most of these appointments are "thank you" gifts to party members and affiliates. The issue here is finding other ways to appease some of these faithfuls. Most State Givernments refuse to hold LGA elections so that they can use Caretaker to compensate their boys. They change them every 6 months so that it will spread more. All these are the causea of persistent corruption in our system.
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by omenka(m): 12:02pm On Jul 02, 2015
socialmediaman:
OP ministers are needed constitually, the question is whether they should be headed by technocrats rather than core politicians.

My opinion is, ministerss should Be technocrats who are members of the national economic council, selected from successful multinationals, representing different ministries. Their jobs should be purely policy formulation based.

The minister should not be involved with ministry specific duties like recruitments, contract approvals etc. perm secs should be more focused with the internal workings of the ministry. The ministers are the ones who travel to supervise projects and make reports and recommendations to the presidency.

Perm secs should be more powerful than the ministers within the ministry itself, but the minister should be like the government eye when it comes to watching over things happening in the ministry and calling for the presidency's attention whenever necessary

Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jul 02, 2015
socialmediaman:

no. matter How good the technocrat is, he can never know the problems of the ministry better than the son of the soil. Of course the government can always engage these technocrats for advice and recommendations If and when the need arises. Why keep them and pay them billions just So that they can supervise projects and cut tapes?

Perm secs are government workers as well. So they are the eye of the government alright.
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 02, 2015
shachris:

Ministers are like MCs in a party. They do not contribute anything to the organization and running of the ceremony. They just come to talk, eat and collect money. If the party does not have an MC, it will still go on very well

2 Likes

Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by socialmediaman: 12:28pm On Jul 02, 2015
shachris:

no. matter How good the technocrat is, he can never know the problems of the ministry better than the son of the soil. Of course the government can always engage these technocrats for advice and recommendations If and when the need arises. Why keep them and pay them billions just So that they can supervise projects and cut tapes?

Perm secs are government workers as well. So they are the eye of the government alright.

Not exactly, call them special advisers on ministry affairs if you want, call them ministry policy developers if you want, someone has to do that job. Perm secs should not have business traveling abroad visiting other governments and negotiating partnerships and learning new technologies in place in other countries while the ministry suffers, these ministers are needed and they should be in the offices day to day and meeting with the presidency bi weekly or monthly as the case may be, analyzing progress reports etc for each ministry. Their major business with the perm secs should be briefing each other with progress reports of the ministry and policy directives from the ministry.

Constitutionally, they are needed, that's what the constitution wants and Buhari will not even waste precious time trying to fight that, on a more realistic note.

The major problems that previous governments derailed the objective of these constitutional requirements and that makes ministers directly powerfully in the day to day affairs of the ministries.

All the minister should do is get paid to formulate policies, coordinate with other ministries to ensure policies are not made in isolation with other ministries, observe and be watchful to ensure these policies are being followed in the ministry or make otherwise recommendations to the presidency.

If for instance something goes wrong, you know who to hold, whether it's the perm sec or minister, whether it's a policy problem or implementation problem
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by socialmediaman: 12:41pm On Jul 02, 2015
ilovelikes:

Ministers are like MCs in a party. They do not contribute anything to the organization and running of the ceremony. They just come to talk, eat and collect money. If the party does not have an MC, it will still go on very well

Not necessarily. Ministers are like those who make decisions regarding an event like a wedding. For example, you and your family members. You people have selected a suitable date for both family members, you have made a budget and contributed towards the event, then you guys hire an event coordinator! In this case, the event coordinator is the ministry. The event coordinator takes into consideration your budget and tells you what it can offer, if it's not okay, you go back to the drawing board and raise extra money. They hire the MC suitable for the occasion because they know who is on ground better than you, they organize the food, drinks etc and in the end, you have a successful wedding.
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jul 02, 2015
socialmediaman:

Not necessarily. Ministers are like those who make decisions regarding an event like a wedding. For example, you and your family members. You people have selected a suitable date for both family members, you have made a budget and contributed towards the event, then you guys hire an event coordinator! In this case, the event coordinator is the ministry. The event coordinator takes into consideration your budget and tells you what it can offer, if it's not okay, you go back to the drawing board and raise extra money. They hire the MC suitable for the occasion because they know who is on ground better than you, they organize the food, drinks etc and in the end, you have a successful wedding.

What is this one saying?

Click like if u think this dude is off point

2 Likes

Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 02, 2015
socialmediaman:

Why hire an event manager when your sister manages an event company?
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Volksfuhrer(m): 1:29pm On Jul 02, 2015
shachris:

Brilliant. Whoever you are, I congratulate you. You've just hit the nail on the head!

Nobody does it better like a permanent secretary, who has seen many ministers come and go. And even if there must be ministers, they need to cut these guys down to size! In fact every minister should have a permanent secretary as chief adviser.

1 Like

Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jul 02, 2015
socialmediaman:

Not exactly, call them special advisers on ministry affairs if you want, call them ministry policy developers if you want, someone has to do that job. Perm secs should not have business traveling abroad visiting other governments and negotiating partnerships and learning new technologies in place in other countries while the ministry suffers, these ministers are needed and they should be in the offices day to day and meeting with the presidency bi weekly or monthly as the case may be, analyzing progress reports etc for each ministry. Their major business with the perm secs should be briefing each other with progress reports of the ministry and policy directives from the ministry.

Constitutionally, they are needed, that's what the constitution wants and Buhari will not even waste precious time trying to fight that, on a more realistic note.

The major problems that previous governments derailed the objective of these constitutional requirements and that makes ministers directly powerfully in the day to day affairs of the ministries.

All the minister should do is get paid to formulate policies, coordinate with other ministries to ensure policies are not made in isolation with other ministries, observe and be watchful to ensure these policies are being followed in the ministry or make otherwise recommendations to the presidency.

If for instance something goes wrong, you know who to hold, whether it's the perm sec or minister, whether it's a policy problem or implementation problem

Those advisory roles can always be outsourced. There are lots of technocrats in NIGERIA and outside NIGERIA that are willing to wok with the government for free, as long as it is towards moving Nigeria forward. There are technocrats in the national assembly that formulate policies as well for the ministries.

And who says the president can not appoint the perm sec or deputize someone from the ministry to attend those seminars abroad?

Let's face the fact, these men waste billions without doing anything. All the nepotism in the ministries is brought about by the ministers. we need to scrap them.

1 Like

Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by UnknownT: 1:42pm On Jul 02, 2015
All these just to justify the inability to appoint ministers. These Permanent Secretaries sef, do you know that some of them are transferred to ministries they "know nothing" about? A perm second that started as a civil servant under ministry of transport may get to become perm second in the ministry of education.
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Volksfuhrer(m): 1:52pm On Jul 02, 2015
UnknownT:
All these just to justify the inability to appoint ministers. These Permanent Secretaries sef, do you know that some of them are transferred to ministries they "know nothing" about? A perm second that started as a civil servant under ministry of transport may get to become perm second in the ministry of education.

And yet a permanent secretary still gets to his new posting and thrives. Why? Because he is familiar with the system.

Anything else? Or perhaps I didn't get your point?

2 Likes

Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by UnknownT: 1:58pm On Jul 02, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

And yet a permanent secretary still gets to his new posting and thrives. Why? Because he is familiar with the system.

Anything else? Or perhaps I didn't get your point?
So Ministers don't thrive when they are appointed? What of Government Parastatals that are not under the perm secs?
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Volksfuhrer(m): 2:25pm On Jul 02, 2015
UnknownT:
So Ministers don't thrive when they are appointed? What of Government Parastatals that are not under the perm secs?

Your non sequitur got me bewildered.

I believed I responded to your jibes at permanent secretaries "knowing nothing" about new ministry postings.

Your fencing thrust wasn't about ministers, was it?
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 02, 2015
shachris:

So u meant The power minister refused to generate power

GEJ gave us light, No one can take it away from him.

1 Like

Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 02, 2015
chuna1985:

So u meant The power minister refused to generate power

GEJ gave us light, No one can take it away from him.

you mean the 40mins a day light? Our problem in the power sector is more of administrative than infrastructural. Many dirty dealing in that sector bro.
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jul 02, 2015
shachris:

you mean the 40mins a day light? Our problem in the power sector is more of administrative than infrastructural. Many dirty dealing in that sector bro.

u mean dirty dealing like
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by Dlionsheart: 4:25pm On Jul 02, 2015
socialmediaman:

I agree with you to some extend, but i think this thread and your position are a product of our present predicament as a nation. In my opinion, the method of recruitment into the service of our nation either as a minister or in other capacity determine the gains and successes. A minister appointed on the platform of a party will have a divided loyalty. His/her loyalty belongs to a godfather, party, president and lastly to the nation. and all these different levels of loyalty must have their individual interest. In the foregoing, the interest of the populace is the least to attend to by the minister, etc. this is so because he who pay the pipers dictates the tune.

On the other hand, if the perm sec are empowered, their are tendency that they may abuse the power thereby making corruption inevitable in the system.

Its my suggestion that states should elect ministers that will serve in the federal level. A periodic assessment of the minister's performance and a process of recalling such minister for non performance should also be put in place.
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by socialmediaman: 4:36pm On Jul 02, 2015
Dlionsheart:
Its my suggestion that states should elect ministers that will serve in the federal level. A periodic assessment of the minister's performance and a process of recalling such minister for non performance should also be put in place.

Election of ministers is out of the question. Ministers must be loyal to the president, if they fail, he will be blamed so there's no question as to how he should appoint his ministers. If he decides to let godfathers select for him, that's his business, all Nigeriand want is delivery. GEJ decided to let governors select for him, did the ministers or their godfathers get blamed when they failed? All the blame goes to president so let him do his job, he needs all his constitutional rights and freedom that will Help him succeed. Election of ministers is completely out of place, based on what? They're there to help him do the job he was elected for, why should they be elected when they're working for him to achieve his objectives?
Re: I Say, Scrap The Ministers! by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 4:41pm On Jul 02, 2015
If Buhari appoint ministers,you guys would praise him,he has refused to apoint them,you guys are saying its d best,asslickers

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What Happened To Chibike Amechi-pix / Shun Violence, No Politician Is Worth Your Blood – 2face Tells Kogi Youths / Imagine If These Things Happened Under GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.