Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,207 members, 7,780,370 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:11 PM

Saudi Prince To Donate $32bn. To Charity - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Saudi Prince To Donate $32bn. To Charity (502 Views)

Saudi Prince Kisses Trump's Ass On Twitter After Calling Trump A Disgrace / Saudi Prince Executed For Murdering A Compatriot (BBC NEWS) / Trump Blasts Saudi Prince. Calls Him Small Boy Spending Daddy’s Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Saudi Prince To Donate $32bn. To Charity by fairheven: 11:32am On Jul 02, 2015
Saudi Arabian billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has said he will donate his $32bn (£20bn; €29bn) personal fortune to charity.
The 60-year-old nephew of King Salman is one of the world's richest people.
He said he had been inspired by the Gates Foundation, set up by Bill and Melinda Gates in 1997.
The money would be used to "foster cultural understanding", "empower women", and "provide vital disaster relief", among other things, he said.
Mr Gates praised the decision, calling it an "inspiration to all of us working in philanthropy around the world".

Prince Alwaleed is at number 34 on the Forbes list of the world's richest people.
The money will go to the prince's charitable organisation, Alwaleed Philanthropies, to which he has already donated $3.5bn.
The prince, who does not hold an official government position, is chairman of investment firm Kingdom Holding Company.

Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Al Saud
Self-proclaimed "Warren Buffett of Arabia" was born in 1955. He is the nephew of King Salman
Studied at Menlo College and Syracuse University in the US
Founder of Kingdom Holding Company, a Riyadh-based publicly traded conglomerate
First contract was to advise a Korean company building an officers' club at a Riyadh military academy. Later chose to invest the profits in local real estate
Invested $590m in struggling Citibank (now Citigroup) in 1991; stake is now worth billions
Has stakes in Disney, 21st Century Fox, News Corp, Apple, GM, Twitter, and a string of hotel chains and luxury hotels, including New York's Plaza Hotel and the George V in Paris
Considered Westernized and progressive on most issues. Champions women's rights - most of his staff are women
Owns a 371-room, 42,700 sq m (460,000 sq ft) palace in Riyadh, a Boeing 747-400 and an A380, and an 85m super yacht
Established Alwaleed Bin Talal Foundations across world to offer valuable humanitarian, educational and social assistance

The company owns stakes in hotels The Four Seasons, Fairmont and Raffles, as well as News Corp, Citigroup, Twitter and Apple.
The prince will be donating his personal wealth. "This is very much separate from my ownership in Kingdom Holding," he said at the announcement.
"Philanthropy is a personal responsibility, which I embarked upon more than three decades ago and is an intrinsic part of my Islamic faith," he added in a statement.
He said he hoped the gift would "help build bridges to foster cultural understanding, develop communities, empower women, enable youth, provide vital disaster relief and create a more tolerant and accepting world".
Prince Alwaleed's announcement comes during the holy month of Ramadan, when Muslims are encouraged to give charity and help the needy.
He said the donation would take place over several years and would be overseen by a board of trustees, which he will head.
I beg my name is "charity" but my friends call me Charly
BBC

(1) (Reply)

Saudi Women Candidates Begin First Election Campaign / America's Voting Machines Are F**ked / Video: Obama In His Own Words: I Am A Muslim, I Believe In The Holy Qur’an

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.