Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,543 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam - Foreign Affairs (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam (68198 Views)

Meet America's New First Lady / Obama Nominates America's First Muslim Federal Judge / Meet America's New Missile Defense (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by sulky1: 10:23pm On Jul 02, 2015
God 4give him and his members
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by tajudeent: 10:26pm On Jul 02, 2015
From Islamic teaching, It is a bad thing to think of one's good deed. Talking about the good deeds destroys the derivable benefits.
So, what happens in the case of bad deed? Hell awaits those that do evil except they repent before death overtake them.
May Allah forgive our sins and save us from hell fire, Amin
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Fourwinds: 10:30pm On Jul 02, 2015
IyaIode:
fake imam, born Catholic
open ur eyes and read well. He was born a Baptist
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by zudozz: 10:32pm On Jul 02, 2015
women shld tie them n rape them. A taste of d punany ll convince them n bring them back 2 their senses.
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Folksyharry(m): 10:42pm On Jul 02, 2015
chineloSA:
When are you lot gonna stop this gay/lesbian debate.

Abeg,let them be. If you disagree with them ignore them. God doesn't have a deputy. So you are not his deputy.

But I fear for his life eeehn. He will soon be a target for some Wahabbi, Sunni no Shia extremist fools. undecided undecided

morality is really going south in the US. they may kill him but I think killing him will give the campaign more ammunition
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 02, 2015
I have asked you to go in peace yet...you still won't let me be. tsdarkside= transexual dark side? Am I right?
Just finished looking at your history on Nairaland and all I can see is nothing surprising...it's already a part of you. Presently,

Am perusing Thelma's Blog via njays24 profile...having seen her pics and read the profile of the blog owner....Am not also surprised at all. Am just concerned about the blog readers....cos if any one has different opinion to that of the blogger, then its going to be cursing all the way.

All I can say is:
Age does not confirm maturity.
Education does not confirm literacy.(Functional, Cultural, Moral Illiteracy)
Shame Really.
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Deltagiant: 10:57pm On Jul 02, 2015
Jattuboy:
U Know wat? foolishness has has incited a lot of clueless/durllard nd sence-low people to say things relating to places they have never and may never be able to go to.

The Saudi "Royal" family was not born out of spirituality. It is a political creation of the British. There was nothing like "saudi" appended to the name of the country until the British dusted one unknown man called Saud and made him king. He immediately became a maximum ruler and renamed the country after his name.

This development had nothing to do with the Islamic shrines in the country. So the Saud family are like other opportunistic leaders in the Arabia, islam notwithstanding. Thus the gay life of their princes shouldn't come to you as a surprise. Even as your narrow world view won't allow you see beyond your stu.pidity. Read below:

THE KINGDOM IN THE CLOSET
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1321860/Gay-Saudi-prince-pictured-happily-manservant-beat-death.html
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/05/the-kingdom-in-the-closet/305774/

1 Like

Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Humblebloke(m): 11:05pm On Jul 02, 2015
The Devil's own country at it againundecided
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jul 02, 2015
Why can't people accept constructive criticism, respect others opinions even if it differs from theirs. Why can't people be tolerant to one another...to pass a point across without being abusive. Is it a Nigerian trait or a Nairaland trait? or Does it have any correlation with upbringing, educational level or Is it as a result of frustration or economic status? Or probably it's multi-factorial.

1 Like

Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jul 02, 2015
grin grin grin I hope Islamists would not bomb him...
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by LordElNou: 11:43pm On Jul 02, 2015
philGeo:
Too bad for religious leader, but may be their religion permit it, but as Christian my Bible is totally against it.

The Quran also condemns it. The people of Lot, including his wife were punished
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by zaksrocafella(m): 11:57pm On Jul 02, 2015
philGeo:
Too bad for religious leader, but may be their religion permit it, but as Christian my Bible is totally against it.
if there is any religion that condemn homosexual is islam. Is written boldly in our Qur'an.
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by zaksrocafella(m): 12:06am On Jul 03, 2015
Any bastard can call himself an imam just to spoil the name. But the qualities of an imam is obvious. You can't disobey Allah without any regret and call yourself an imam. Imam everywhere teaches people the word of God not doing the opposite. He already know where he's going...
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by BlueMagic2(m): 1:25am On Jul 03, 2015
Wait till ISIS gets you. You piece of sht
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Abdullnimo(m): 1:39am On Jul 03, 2015
[quote author=richidinho post=35406796]WASHINGTON – He’s been condemned by other Muslim leaders, and some local imams have even refused to greet him. But Imam Daayiee Abdullah – believed to be the only openly gay imam in the Americas – is proud of his story.

He was born and raised in Detroit, where his parents were Southern Baptists. At age 15, he came out to them. At 33, while studying in China, Abdullah converted to Islam, and went on to study the religion in Egypt, Jordan and Syria. But as a gay man in America, he saw that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Muslims had unmet spiritual needs and he became an imam to provide community support.

“Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention. And because of the necessity in our community, that's why I came into this particular role,” he told America Tonight about his journey.

His first act as an imam? Performing funeral rites for a gay Muslim who died of AIDS.

“They had contacted a number of imams, and no one would go and provide him his janazah services,” he said, referring to the Muslim body cleaning ritual. That pained him.

“I believe every person, no matter if I disagree with you or not, you have the right as a Muslim to have the proper spiritual [rites] and rituals provided for you. And whoever judges you, that will be Allah's decision, not me.”

It’s one of the mantras he lives by in his work, even as others condemn him.

“The beautiful thing about God is that when you change your attitude, and say, 'God, I need some help,' and mean it sincerely, God is always there for you,” Abdullah told congregants one night during a regular sermon, known as a khutbah, at the Light of Reform Mosque in Washington, D.C.

He serves as the imam and educational director of the mosque, which he helped form more than two years ago to be a safe space for values and practices that other mosques may eschew.

During his service, women and men kneel side-by-side and women are allowed to lead prayers – actions that have sparked controversy even among American Muslims.

"We do not limit people by their gender or their sexual orientation, or their particular aspect of being Muslim or non-Muslim,” he told America Tonight. “They're there to worship."

Imam Daayiee provides other services that are unique for an imam of a Muslim community, like marrying same-sex couples. So far in his 13 years as imam, he has performed more than 50 weddings.

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/america-tonight-blog/2013/12/20/meet-america-s-firstopenlygayimam.html

cc:lalasticlala ishilove
[/ angry bitches! This shit is fake, in islam women dont pray in congregation together with men. Plus the tahyah sitting is not correct sad wur ]
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by iliasaa(m): 4:58am On Jul 03, 2015
LeOstrich:
The Muslim world is riddled with fagg0ts.

Madrasses world-wide and the equivalent Almajiri schools that dot northern Nigeria are dens of homosexuals.

This Iman is just shoving the hypocrisy down the muslim world.
Compare the number of gay imams and gay bishops. So the mathematics. Which religion is more hypocritical?
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by nwaezeubom: 5:02am On Jul 03, 2015
Freemanan:
SHALL WE CONTINUE TO LIVE IN SIN THAT GRACE MAY ABOUND?

GOD FORBID lipsrsealed

yes
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by younglas: 5:04am On Jul 03, 2015
philGeo:
na for your religion wey may be them permit am not in Islam idiot
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Kazzman(m): 5:54am On Jul 03, 2015
richidinho:
WASHINGTON – He’s been condemned by other Muslim leaders, and some local imams have even refused to greet him. But Imam Daayiee Abdullah – believed to be the only openly gay imam in the Americas – is proud of his story.

He was born and raised in Detroit, where his parents were Southern Baptists. At age 15, he came out to them. At 33, while studying in China, Abdullah converted to Islam, and went on to study the religion in Egypt, Jordan and Syria. But as a gay man in America, he saw that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Muslims had unmet spiritual needs and he became an imam to provide community support.

“Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention. And because of the necessity in our community, that's why I came into this particular role,” he told America Tonight about his journey.

His first act as an imam? Performing funeral rites for a gay Muslim who died of AIDS.

“They had contacted a number of imams, and no one would go and provide him his janazah services,” he said, referring to the Muslim body cleaning ritual. That pained him.

“I believe every person, no matter if I disagree with you or not, you have the right as a Muslim to have the proper spiritual [rites] and rituals provided for you. And whoever judges you, that will be Allah's decision, not me.”

It’s one of the mantras he lives by in his work, even as others condemn him.

“The beautiful thing about God is that when you change your attitude, and say, 'God, I need some help,' and mean it sincerely, God is always there for you,” Abdullah told congregants one night during a regular sermon, known as a khutbah, at the Light of Reform Mosque in Washington, D.C.

He serves as the imam and educational director of the mosque, which he helped form more than two years ago to be a safe space for values and practices that other mosques may eschew.

During his service, women and men kneel side-by-side and women are allowed to lead prayers – actions that have sparked controversy even among American Muslims.

"We do not limit people by their gender or their sexual orientation, or their particular aspect of being Muslim or non-Muslim,” he told America Tonight. “They're there to worship."

Imam Daayiee provides other services that are unique for an imam of a Muslim community, like marrying same-sex couples. So far in his 13 years as imam, he has performed more than 50 weddings.

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/america-tonight-blog/2013/12/20/meet-america-s-firstopenlygayimam.html

cc:lalasticlala ishilove
This is a sign of end time...
May God have mercy
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Davivah: 6:06am On Jul 03, 2015
IzonOwei:
My question is:: must they still be pastors or imams after openly acknowledging they are gay....what sort of annoying thing is this... angry

To tell you they are truly agents of Satan. In his own case, He does not understand an atom abt what Islam preaches. If you Attest & bear witness to oneness of God, you should ready to follow His commandments too, NO DEDUCTION & NO ADDITION
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Davivah: 6:16am On Jul 03, 2015
chineloSA:

Wait and see the attacks that you may get for being blunt about Saudi princes and Arabs grin grin
I still wonder why majority of Muslim community think that if something is done by a Saudi then it's Islamic or acceptable. Why does it seem like Saudi's are held in high regard within the religion. Yes they are probably self appointed custodians of the Mosque or holy land but not of the religion.

The interesting part is that Muslims are the first people to protect anything Arab or Saudi, when ever you state pure facts about them.
No wonder they look down on any Muslim who is not practicing Wahabbi Islam. The are given the crown of being closer to God by their fellow Muslims.

You have no knowledge about what You guys just said. Trust Me

1 Like

Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Davivah: 6:22am On Jul 03, 2015
jcross19:
if the man is prophet, pastor,evangelist,or apostle what you be seeing on nairaland is allamudulahi or thank allah am muslim or allahu akbr but now the story is other way round and they tend to deny their imam.

Y wont they deny it ? ways and manners to practise the religion have already been stated in Qur'an and Hadith. Any addition or Substraction shall be rejected. Homosexuality isnt part of the religion, Even Allah forbids A man entering his wife from the rectum,ewwwwwwwww(filthy)
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 03, 2015
The shock value here only exists due to public shunning, and lack of exposure. Guaranteed gays span across all ethic groups/nationalities/religions, etc. Chances are very fair that the ever-devout brother to your left is gayer than the glittery pair of white pantyhose he's been sporting under his khamis all week unbeknownst to you.

2 Likes

Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by surveyllance93: 7:10am On Jul 03, 2015
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by MDMA: 7:18am On Jul 03, 2015
elohorayodele:

Do you have AIDS already!

You see why you should have been straight? Instead you gave you anus out to be destroyed

You are a waste of cranial space. Get the _fuck outta my sight.
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by pring: 7:33am On Jul 03, 2015
Wht else do I say?

Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 03, 2015
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Nobody: 7:42am On Jul 03, 2015
He was born and brought up in Detroit! Onna sure say nah truely Imam e be? Cos for all I know, nothing good comes out from the West.
Meanwhile, wey e pixx?stop deceiving the religious pupulacce to make gays sound like they are normal.
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 03, 2015
FannySwindler:
I have asked you to go in peace yet...you still won't let me be. tsdarkside= transexual dark side? Am I right?
Just finished looking at your history on Nairaland and all I can see is nothing surprising...it's already a part of you. Presently,

Am perusing Thelma's Blog via njays24 profile...having seen her pics and read the profile of the blog owner....Am not also surprised at all. Am just concerned about the blog readers....cos if any one has different opinion to that of the blogger, then its going to be cursing all the way.

All I can say is:
Age does not confirm maturity.
Education does not confirm literacy.(Functional, Cultural, Moral Illiteracy)
Shame Really.

I can see that ur jobless going through my profile,believe whatever is in the profile at your peril. You think I'd stupidly put anything serious about me or what I do on a forum like nairaland that is filled with teenagers with 99 percent of irresponsible comments and behaviour? I am not that stupid. As a person from a security background,my real I cannot be that stupid. If you want us to sort this out face to face,person to person'then let me know;I'm ready.
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by jerryjere(m): 8:20am On Jul 03, 2015
IyaIode:
fake imam, born Catholic
but you know that Muslims still go to him why complain.
Re: Picture:meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam by Troycrown(m): 8:24am On Jul 03, 2015
What the Bleep!!!! Even Satan wasn't Gay, He choosed to approach Naked EVE intead of Naked Adam. I Cry 4 you. #SayNoToGay

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

US Fighter Jet Comes Close To Iranian Plane, Passengers Injured / Stampede At Qassem Soleimani's Burial Kills 40 People, Injures 213 Persons / Ugandan Minister, Charles Okello Engola Killed By His Bodyguard Over Non-Payment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.