Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,515 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? (34778 Views)

Is Marriage Really The Answer? / Early marriage advantages {for Women And Men} Must Read / What Can I Do To Let My Wife Wake Up Early? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by perfectmind(m): 2:35pm On Jul 04, 2015
coogar:

what if i stay there?
would it not be logical for me to be fearful about marriage especially when i tend to lose almost half of my assets should divorce ensue?

this is the UK divorce stats, by the way..... grin
it's 42%. cheesy

Early is better but being mature is best.Most men at 40 yrs is still aboy.it is not about age but mind and cash
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by Monikween(f): 2:43pm On Jul 04, 2015
Joromi1:

Is it my fault? They say if u love someone u should tell her na.
you've told me I've heard u...
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 2:52pm On Jul 04, 2015
[quote author=manie post=35477116]

The earlier you see yourself as the MD/CEO of Me Myself and I incorporated the better. In the past, people expect manna from heaven but now we need to make our own manna. There is a saying that heaven helps those who help themselves, I think you really need to renew your mind it will do you and your children a whole lot of good. Live and plan your life and that of your children as if no government existed.

The purpose of our education is to equip one with the skills, tools and attitudes to be a productive member of the society.It is lazy minds that will complain about the quality of the education received in Nigeria. The internet has made the world a global village all you need to improve mind is just a click. We have people who graduated from Nigerian Universities who are making the nation proud in the post-graduate studies in foreign universities, while some are only complaining about the quality of our education.

The percentage of educated Nigerians may be low, but those of us who are privileged to received University education should see it as a call to create opportunities and possibilities rather than waiting to be partakers of the dreams of other people. My brother as a man thinketh so so he is and will be. You need to change your mindset and values. Where you will be in 10 years will be determined by the type of friends you move with and the type of books you read. Hi[url][/url]
Most Nigerian graduates may have the skills and tools, but what is lacking is the attitude. I will advise you to read a book attitude is everything by Keith Harrel.

When 20% of Nigerians are creative, we shall see the impact on the life of the remaining difficult [quote]

sure thats rightly said. In addition, your kind of ideas is the reason why we say, "on your own". On your own can't build a nation. This was the belief of our ancestors when they believed in subsistence farming which could not stand civilization and and development. That is the same mindset educated ppl implore even our leaders. That mindset does not promote unity in the country. It is the reason why our leaders try to enrich themselves while in power, cos they believe in equipping their own selves and their families against the future.
I am not in any way advising anyone to lay lazy n dilly dally his life away, but as in a way to create a bright future for the country the govt must be involved at the lead.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 2:58pm On Jul 04, 2015
[quote author=jascon1 post=35477707][/quote]

On our own by 20% of the productive and crative population will definitely have a positive multiplier effect on the nation.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 3:47pm On Jul 04, 2015
manie:

On our own by 20% of the productive and crative population will definitely have a positive multiplier effect on the nation.
for sure! But, so far so good why hasn't it reflected on the nation yet?
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 3:51pm On Jul 04, 2015
jascon1:
for sure! But, so far so good why hasn't it reflected on the nation yet?

Because 20% of the population that is about 30 million Nigerians are not creative. 30 million creative Nigerians should be able to create additional 60 million jobs.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by Joromi1: 4:15pm On Jul 04, 2015
Finestibogirl:
. Pls der how do a create a thread on Naiaraland? Thanks.
Click on any thread u like, depending on what topic u want to create. For instance, before I did this I clicked on 'Family' and found 'create a topic at the top of the section menus
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by uzolexis(f): 4:28pm On Jul 04, 2015
coogar:

what if i stay there?
would it not be logical for me to be fearful about marriage especially when i tend to lose almost half of my assets should divorce ensue?

it's 42%. cheesy

Very SCARY shocked shocked shocked cry cry cry
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 4:55pm On Jul 04, 2015
manie:

Because 20% of the population that is about 30 million Nigerians are not creative. 30 million creative Nigerians should be able to create additional 60 million jobs.
I'm just beginning to realize that u are a magician. I'll be on the other side of 2020 waiting for the additional 60m jobs. Even Obama couldn't do it
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by TheFLIRT(m): 5:12pm On Jul 04, 2015
Akinsnaira:

Mind you, Nigeria might not have as high divorce rate as USA, this is largely due to societal pressure, as women are forced to confine themselves to patriarchal name of their husband.

But the consequence is greater, it has one of the highest (if not the highest) rate of marital infidelity in the world.

Most married couples in Nigeria, order than going on divorce, resort to extra-marital practices just to stay married. When they are no longer getting the fun they crave in their marriage.
I can agree with u to some extent on this. Yes, Nigerians frown at marriage failures a lot. A divorced lady would no doubt be badmouthed by busybodies. This is even the more reason why women are forced to remain loyal to their husbands, as they won't like to be a topic for gossips. An average Nigerian married woman has an iota of dignity and shame in her, and she'd like to do everything humanly possible to keep a good name.
Secondly, the bearing of husband's patriarchal name is almost global, even in the US. For example, their First Lady was formally Michelle Robinson but now she has Obama added to her name
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 5:26pm On Jul 04, 2015
jascon1:
I'm just beginning to realize that u are a magician. I'll be on the other side of 2020 waiting for the additional 60m jobs. Even Obama couldn't do it

It depends on your imagination and horizon, when I was a salary earner I have businesses that employed 4 people. 30 million creative and productive minds with can do mindset in Nigeria can decide to create 2 jobs each. In case you do not know micro, small and medium businesses are the solution to the current rate of unemployment in Nigeria.

I worked all my life in small businesses, but I give God the glory for my modest achievements. As earlier said I graduated with 3rd class from UNILAG in 1997, but now I am a proud owner of 2 houses in Lagos, while the 3rd on is 80% completed, I am also making plans and investments that should give my sons a good head-start. .
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 5:51pm On Jul 04, 2015
manie:

It depends on your imagination and horizon, when I was a salary earner I have businesses that employed 4 people. 30 million creative and productive minds with can do mindset in Nigeria can decide to create 2 jobs each. In case you do not know micro, small and medium businesses are the solution to the current rate of unemployment in Nigeria.

I worked all my life in small businesses, but I give God the glory for my modest achievements. As earlier said I graduated with 3rd class from UNILAG in 1997, but now I am a proud owner of 2 houses in Lagos, while the 3rd on is 80% completed, I am also making plans and investments that should give my sons a good head-start. .
i do not discredit yoyr point of view, but I c where u r coming from. Undoubtedly, you are from one of the few privileged low middle-class. I am as privileged as u, but the average Nigerian man isn't. And those are who I represent more. The comparison is way too vast. I wish ur ideas could thrive in Nigeria, but sad I'd rather be honest with u, it can't work in Naija. If u like hold workshops, trainings n seminars all over the country, still we need govt interference. A vivid example is INNOSON motors. Dangote is successful today cos of govt policies. We can only try, but the bottomline is govt.

1 Like

Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 6:01pm On Jul 04, 2015
jascon1:
i do not discredit yoyr point of view, but I c where u r coming from. Undoubtedly, you are from one of the few privileged low middle-class. I am as privileged as u, but the average Nigerian man isn't. And those are who I represent more. The comparison is way too vast. I wish ur ideas could thrive in Nigeria, but sad I'd rather be honest with u, it can't work in Naija. If u like hold workshops, trainings n seminars all over the country, still we need govt interference. A vivid example is INNOSON motors. Dangote is successful today cos of govt policies. We can only try, but the bottomline is govt.

Am i really privileged, graduating with a poor grade and did not get a good job. I knew no one was going to employ me, so I started investing in the stock-market and real-estate about 20 years ago and thank God for the foresight. If I got married immediately after graduation without consolidating on my foundation ie investments I will not be where I am today.
Life can be funny, my tenant at Ajah was my senior in the university who can be said to have a good job because he works with one of the Multi National Companies

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by Joromi1: 6:18pm On Jul 04, 2015
manie:

Am i really privileged, graduating with a poor grade and did not get a good job. I knew no one was going to employ me, so I started investing in the stock-market and real-estate about 20 years ago and thank God for the foresight. If I got married immediately after graduation without consolidating on my foundation ie investments I will not be where I am today.
Life can be funny, my tenant at Ajah was my senior in the university who can be said to have a good job because he works with one of the Multi National Companies
Good foresight, sir! We shouldn't bring kids into the world to suffer just because we want things done fast
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by Finestibogirl: 7:31pm On Jul 04, 2015
Joromi1:

Click on any thread u like, depending on what topic u want to create. For instance, before I did this I clicked on 'Family' and found 'create a topic at the top of the section menus
. Awww! Xo hapi, jus saw it nw. Fanks in a million kk.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by Finestibogirl: 7:38pm On Jul 04, 2015
ireneidiva:

That's what broke guys say.
. Its a lie, he's ryt !
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by Joromi1: 8:15pm On Jul 04, 2015
Finestibogirl:
. Awww! Xo hapi, jus saw it nw. Fanks in a million kk.
Ur welcome
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by Ewuro4: 9:18pm On Jul 04, 2015
TV01:

Holá J, we dey 0, thanks for asking. Just hayfever dey worry us one kind, but it's easing somewhat. How far with the loved ones?

To start, I said all things being equal. So assuming there are no questions of readiness or maturity - which are not necessarily age-dependent anyway.

1. It gives you more leeway in terms of when you start a family - older couples are under more pressure to have children soon. Giving you less time to simply enjoy each other without parenting cares.

2. It actually gives you more scope in the actual size of your family. The younger you marry, the more you are able to have - if you so desire. One of my cousins has six - only because he married at 24 to someone a bit younger. It's unlikely if you marry later.

3. If also forestalls/reduces the risk of fertility issues, and gives more time to deal with them if they do arise.

4. A big one for me is it matures men quick-time. Makes them more focused and responsible - studies show that married men tend to earn more. A marriage dividend so to speak.

5. More energy and time with and for your kids. Before and after they are grown. Which gives you your time together back when you are still a relatively young couple.

6. More likely to have the generation before you around to help, support and advise - and for longer.

I do see some potential benefits in marrying older, but in sum, I don't see them outweighing the advantages of doing it younger.

1. Probably more settled and possibly wealthier
2. Possibly more appreciative and ready to devote time to family and embrace "family man" things

What are your thoughts?

TV

Aww same here , the allergy is going round the globe now , was telling my collegues how dusty my home country is yet we don't have sick kids like we do here.may God help our little ones esp.

Thanks for the reply, your points are clearly aligned with OP's reasons (early Birthing & women Fertility clock) which are though reasonable but not compulsory because everything is now achieveable with convenience & cash in hand. It all boils down to individual preference. My neighbour (east Indian) married in her
early twenties after college and started her Nursing Practice but surprisingly they mutually chose not to expand their family till date. They both seem very happy.

Honestly, I'll pick your last two points over the first 6 100times grin Raising family and struggling to make ends meet is no child's play especially when you have specific taste of lifestyle.

Have a great weekend . It's a beautiful warm & breezy day here.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 7:40am On Jul 05, 2015
TV01:

Holá J, we dey 0, thanks for asking. Just hayfever dey worry us one kind, but it's easing somewhat. How far with the loved ones?

To start, I said all things being equal. So assuming there are no questions of readiness or maturity - which are not necessarily age-dependent anyway.

1. It gives you more leeway in terms of when you start a family - older couples are under more pressure to have children soon. Giving you less time to simply enjoy each other without parenting cares.

2. It actually gives you more scope in the actual size of your family. The younger you marry, the more you are able to have - if you so desire. One of my cousins has six - only because he married at 24 to someone a bit younger. It's unlikely if you marry later.

3. If also forestalls/reduces the risk of fertility issues, and gives more time to deal with them if they do arise.

4. A big one for me is it matures men quick-time. Makes them more focused and responsible - studies show that married men tend to earn more. A marriage dividend so to speak.

5. More energy and time with and for your kids. Before and after they are grown. Which gives you your time together back when you are still a relatively young couple.

6. More likely to have the generation before you around to help, support and advise - and for longer.

I do see some potential benefits in marrying older, but in sum, I don't see them outweighing the advantages of doing it younger.

1. Probably more settled and possibly wealthier
2. Possibly more appreciative and ready to devote time to family and embrace "family man" things

What are your thoughts?

TV

Unfortunately all things are not equal for most people in Nigeria and there is a lot of uncertainty. I have seen unemployed guys getting married at the age of 26 in Lagos, this is a guy living in a room in the family house. He believed getting married will open doors of blessings to him, the marriage did not last 3 years before the young lady moved out.

I don't support the idea of getting married immediately after getting a job, one needs to save and invest some of his earnings in income generating assets and then getting married after working for about 2 years or more. This will cushion the effect of any eventuality or uncertainty.

A cousin of mine got married almost immediately after getting a job with the defunct Oceanic bank in 2007, he was barely employed for less than 18 months before losing his job in 2008. The guy went home with nothing because he had car loan debt to pay his employer and his wife was also jobless. He traveled to South Africa for greener pasture in 2009, living the wife and daughter in Nigeria for the past 6 years. The wife and daughter visited me 2 weeks ago for assistance,
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 7:43am On Jul 05, 2015
Ewuro4:

Aww same here , the allergy is going round the globe now , was telling my collegues how dusty my home country is yet we don't have sick kids like we do here.may God help our little ones esp.

Thanks for the reply, your points are clearly aligned with OP's reasons (early Birthing & women Fertility clock) which are though reasonable but not compulsory because everything is now achieveable with convenience & cash in hand. It all boils down to individual preference. My neighbour (east Indian) married in her
early twenties after college and started her Nursing Practice but surprisingly they mutually chose not to expand their family till date. They both seem very happy.

Honestly, I'll pick your last two points over the first 6 100times grin Raising family and struggling to make ends meet is no child's play especially when you have specific taste of lifestyle.

Have a great weekend . It's a beautiful warm & breezy day here.

Same here.

1 Like

Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by adconline(m): 10:40am On Jul 05, 2015
jascon1:
listen to yourself. What is Ur point based on? Poverty or marriage? These r two different things. Blame the govt for poverty not the individual. We don't have to suffer all the time for the sins of the govt. God himself said marry n multiply, what r u holding on for? At 25 isn't a man supposed to have his BSc and a job? At 25 are most men not living away from family? At 25 most men have lived with or dated many women.
Even the law states 18 or 21 if am not mistaken. There's nothing holding a. Man from marriage at 25. By our school system at 17 latest one side have his SSCE and by 22 latest a degree and 24 latest his masters. PHD? which isn't damn on job market demand. travel and see bro. Your mates are all married and done raising kids. Our parents say marry early, I still support that. Is silly a man in his 60ies raising kids in sec school. That's why most men reduce their ages to stay in active service when they sud be seeking retirement. I've seen many ppl who waited till their late 40ies to settle down still heading for divorce. No marriage is safe from breakup if u like wait a hundred years
#LETTHEYOUNGMARRY
Stupidity of Naija youth on full HD?? So we should blame govt that are your passing on poverty to your kids?? " To be born poor is destiny, but passing it on to your kids is pure wickedness and selfishness"
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 2:08pm On Jul 05, 2015
adconline:

Stupidity of Naija youth on full HD?? So we should blame govt that are your passing on poverty to your kids?? " To be born poor is destiny, but passing it on to your kids is pure wickedness and selfishness"
we have seen that you have made it, but pls don't judge anyone for his choice to be married. Rich or poor, God watches us all. The main thing is to serve God n not to amass material wealth for yourself. The Bible said, "marry n multiply", and there's no where in the Bible where it says " amass wealth ". We all come empty to go empty. Bill Gates father never had wealth, but his son made it. Gathering wealth for ur kids does not ensure their lives. All is vanity. Marriage never impedes education nor does it stop u from achieving your dreams. To Many ppl marriage brought the good luck. I am saying, as wise as u are, I still refuse to be like you. Let me make my own mistakes.
@Youths. marry and build a life with your family.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by MindMatics(m): 3:38pm On Jul 05, 2015
coogar:

what if i stay there?

it's 42%. cheesy
.......... Pls feed us with naija statistics or ani African country stat..... We so differ boss... Thanks

1 Like

Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 6:47pm On Jul 05, 2015
jascon1:
we have seen that you have made it, but pls don't judge anyone for his choice to be married. Rich or poor, God watches us all. The main thing is to serve God n not to amass material wealth for yourself. The Bible said, "marry n multiply", and there's no where in the Bible where it says " amass wealth ". We all come empty to go empty. Bill Gates father never had wealth, but his son made it. Gathering wealth for ur kids does not ensure their lives. All is vanity. Marriage never impedes education nor does it stop u from achieving your dreams. To Many ppl marriage brought the good luck. I am saying, as wise as u are, I still refuse to be like you. Let me make my own mistakes.

His parents were not poor, they belonged to upper middle class in American, which is the top 5 percentile of the American family by net-worth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Gates,_Sr.

Bill Gates father was equally a philanthropist. The maternal grandfather of Bill Gate was also the President of a Bank

Gates was born in Seattle, Washington in an upper middle class family. He is the son of William H. Gates, Sr. [b] and Mary Maxwell Gates. Gates' ancestral origin includes English, German, and Scots-Irish.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 6:53pm On Jul 05, 2015
jascon1:

Gathering wealth or poverty for our kids does not ensure their lives,but equipping them with the right attitudes on how to make, manage and multiply money.

The problem is not with the inheritance left for our children, but giving them the right values and mindset about money. Don't forget that the bible says a good man lives an inheritance for his children.

When your child has the right values about life and money, the inheritance left for him or her will give him a good head start.

1 Like

Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 7:04pm On Jul 05, 2015
jascon1:

There is no way you can amass wealth for yourself alone, you amass wealth and make money by solving problems at a profit. Do you know the number of workers employed by Dangote, they are over 40,000. Do you know the number of indirect jobs created by Dangote's businesses? They are in hundreds of thousands. Do you know the number of small shareholders in Dangote's businesses? They are over 100,000. Do you know the billions of Naira paid by Dangote's workers as taxes to government coffer?
The guy has succeeded in creating opportunities and possibilities and you think he is making money all alone.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by adconline(m): 7:07pm On Jul 05, 2015
jascon1:
Ignorance and stupidity talking .. U need to enlighten yourself a lot!! If u were born in face me and face you, it's your priority to raise your family in one bed apartment.. It's not ur kids' responsibility to help you raise them since they didn't make any contribution when u were making them( -ie having s3x)
BTW, Bill Gates' father is a multi-millionaire and philanthropist! His law firm is the 8th largest in the USA and 11th largest in the world. Please educate urself more!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%26L_Gates
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 7:17pm On Jul 05, 2015
manie:

There is no way you can amass wealth for yourself alone, you amass wealth and make money by solving problems at a profit. Do you know the number of workers employed by Dangote, they are over 40,000. Do you know the number of indirect jobs created by Dangote's businesses? The are in hundreds of thousands. Do you know the number of small shareholders in Dangote's businesses? They are over 100,000. Do you know the billions of Naira paid by Dangote's workers as taxes to government coffer?
The guy has succeeded in creating opportunities and possibilities and you think he is making money all alone.

Some of these workers, contractors and suppliers are millionaire via the dream and acumen of Dangote.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by adconline(m): 3:02am On Jul 06, 2015
TheFLIRT:

Must u get old before u make it? Smh
No need to get old! From face-me and face-u to one or two-bed apartment is not bad??
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 7:58am On Jul 06, 2015
adconline:

Ignorance and stupidity talking .. U need to enlighten yourself a lot!! If u were born in face me and face you, it's your priority to raise your family in one bed apartment.. It's not ur kids' responsibility to help you raise them since they didn't make any contribution when u were making them( -ie having s3x)
BTW, Bill Gates' father is a multi-millionaire and philanthropist! His law firm is the 8th largest in the USA and 11th largest in the world. Please educate urself more!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%26L_Gates

hello Mr. Educator! Google never offers anyone a certificate of education. Brings us back again to another debatable topic, are the upper middle-class ppl really described as wealthy? Don't think u r too educated Mr. Educator. Your brain is full of Google and not substantial knowledge of profound fact. I said and will say it again, Mr Williams Gates sr. never left WEALTH for Bill Gates, but he (Bill) made wealth. Go back to google and do your research and date it back to Bill's history.
Having a degree doesn't make u a champ, defending it does.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 8:01am On Jul 06, 2015
manie:

There is no way you can amass wealth for yourself alone, you amass wealth and make money by solving problems at a profit. Do you know the number of workers employed by Dangote, they are over 40,000. Do you know the number of indirect jobs created by Dangote's businesses? They are in hundreds of thousands. Do you know the number of small shareholders in Dangote's businesses? They are over 100,000. Do you know the billions of Naira paid by Dangote's workers as taxes to government coffer?
bro, if u ask me il say ur comment is lovely, but u missed the right person to quote. Your quote is way away from mine and I encourage your courage in all
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 8:08am On Jul 06, 2015
manie:

Gathering wealth or poverty for our kids does not ensure their lives,but equipping them with the right attitudes on how to make, manage and multiply money.

The problem is not with the inheritance left for our children, but giving them the right values and mindset about money. Don't forget that the bible says a good man lives an inheritance for his children.

When your child has the right values about life and money, the inheritance left for him or her will give him a good head start.

in total support I corroborate your quote. But a slight thing u failed to notice is the difference between wealth and inheritance. I totally agree on leaving behind inheritance for kids, but let's no die to make it all. Life is no competition. Make what u can and enjoy life. I would want someone to define statistically how much a man must make in naira before he can marry. Bro, some ppl get married to become rich while some get even poorer after marriage. Life is a trance. Nothing is ever sure, not even wealth. If money doesn't come to u, then marriage is never made for the rich or old alone. The law states 18 or 21 am not too sure about Nigeria's constitution

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

She Went Back To Her Abusive Husband / My Father Is A Very Lazy Person / Help Me Make A Decision On What Mattress To Buy (vitafoam Or Mouka)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.