Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,952 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed (2897 Views)

Xenophobia: Zambian Radio Station Stops Playing South African Music / ISIS Supreme Leader's Wife, Son Captured And Detained In Lebanon / Accountability: Jesse Jackson Jr And Wife Jailed For Campaign Fund Theft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by blacksta(m): 10:49am On Mar 04, 2009
The wife of Zambia's former President Frederick Chiluba has been jailed for three-and-a-half years.

Regina Chiluba was found guilty of receiving stolen state funds to buy three houses and a commercial property while her husband was in office.

She married Mr Chiluba after he stood down in 2001, having served two terms.

The BBC's Musonda Chibamba in Lusaka says Mr Chiluba, who is also on trial for corruption, shook his head as the magistrate read out his verdict.

Our correspondent says Mrs Chiluba - usually a glamorous dresser - was wearing a simple traditional "Chitenge" outfit in court in the capital, Lusaka.

She continuously mopped her face with a handkerchief during the two-hour judgement.

Every available seat in the court was taken up and many more people stood at the back of the room while others blocked the door, our reporter says.

A shocked silence filled the court when the conviction was read out.

"These were serious allegations and were casually explained by the accused, and I now convict you accordingly and sentence you to three-and-half years simple imprisonment," AFP news agency quotes Magistrate Charles Kafunda as saying.

Some relatives began to silently weep and had to be helped out; others began to sing Christian songs, our correspondent says.

Soon after judgement was passed, a court clerk took Mrs Chiluba's fingerprints while the former president joined her in the dock.

She was then led to a waiting car and driven to the Lusaka Central Prison to begin her sentence.

The court ordered that all the properties in question be forfeited to the state.

Her lawyer has indicated that he will appeal against the sentence in Lusaka's High Court.

Mrs Chiluba was also convicted of receiving a television set that the prosecution proved belonged to the state and for failing to explain how she came to have nearly $100,000 in her personal bank account.

Her husband, whose immunity from prosecution was lifted in 2003, denies stealing millions of dollars of state funds.

Levy Mwanawasa, who launched a high-profile campaign after succeeding Mr Chiluba in 2001, died last year.

President Rupiah Banda has promised to follow in the footsteps of his predecessor.
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by Kobojunkie: 10:54am On Mar 04, 2009
Unbelievable! There is hope yet for Africa. I would have loved for her to serve longer considering the husband escape. I hope she be made an example for others in her country thinking of the same or already involved. Yes, she was not the main but she was an associate and should be equally dealt with. This is really good news.
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by blacksta(m): 10:57am On Mar 04, 2009
The husband is also on trial.
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by Kobojunkie: 11:08am On Mar 04, 2009
He is dead. I would that the court does not stop at just a jail term. Hope they make sure to take back all the property purchased with bribe money and the lot.
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by Nobody: 11:54am On Mar 04, 2009
when will this happen to our nigerian fcking politicians?
i cant wait 4 these rogues to b burried in jail grin
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by desgiezd(m): 11:55am On Mar 04, 2009
@ Topic

Dem no dey fear?
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by ud4u: 11:58am On Mar 04, 2009
Nigeria suppose to learn from this.
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by Phemzy(m): 12:25pm On Mar 04, 2009
ud4u:

Nigeria suppose to learn from this.

Yeah Nigeria will learn from this but with political misunderstanding which may arise from change in power.
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by Nobody: 3:01pm On Mar 04, 2009
@Poster

Let's try to choose words correctly.

It CAN happen in Nigeria only that it MAY not
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by Nobody: 3:33pm On Mar 04, 2009
****Good News**** keep em' coming
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by PurestBoy(m): 8:50pm On Mar 04, 2009
In Nigeria here, for where
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by mustafar1: 8:54pm On Mar 04, 2009
Kobojunkie:

He is dead. I would that the court does not stop at just a jail term. Hope they make sure to take back all the property purchased with bribe money and the lot.

what if she used the money to buy buses and develop her area. and equip her school that would educate the children of citizens? ala Governor i used my bribe money to develop my state and thus a bribe is not a bribe/crime if its used as such. grin grin

i know im looking for trouble but
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by jamace(m): 9:31am On Mar 05, 2009
ZAMBIA SHALL BE FREE in deed!
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by Kobojunkie: 3:37pm On Mar 05, 2009
must_a_far:

what if she used the money to buy buses and develop her area. and equip her school that would educate the children of citizens? ala Governor i used my bribe money to develop my state and thus a bribe is not a bribe/crime if its used as such. grin grin

i know im looking for trouble but

You mean like Hitler did with German money? Or like Osama bin Laden and Hamas does?? Or like Mugabe does with those who kiss his a**?? Oh boy!! i live in a black and white world ooo, crime is crime!!!
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by webprince(m): 4:45pm On Mar 05, 2009
4 9ja ke! this can never happen in Nigeria of 2day!
I PRAY NIGERIAN LEADERS LEARN FROM THIS AND EMULATE THIS GOOD LEADERSHIP
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by bayoola(m): 4:55pm On Mar 05, 2009
I don't believe this at the first instance not until I logged on to one zambian site to have the full gist but am rest assured that she's not going to serve the full jail term,Are we not in africa?Lets wait and see.[/color][color=#006600][/color][color=#770077][color=#000099][/color] smiley
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by fesse(f): 4:57pm On Mar 05, 2009
He is dead.
Lie! The man is living full time. I read the complete story this morning in leadership and Daily trust newspaper. They said the woman is a heavy dresser. She lavishes money on clothing and acquring illegal properties.

I PRAY NIGERIAN LEADERS LEARN FROM THIS AND EMULATE THIS GOOD LEADERSHIP
For where? When EFCC is the most corrupt agency Nigeria, tell me how it will fight corruption. It is only God that will deliver Nigeria from corruption if not, the word "CORRUPTION" has come to stay.
When Ibori's was caught in crime and money laundering related matters, what did the EFCC do to her nothing. EFCC officials are bribed by the leaders. How can the anti-corruption bodies react when such people are caught for corruption.
A good one for Zambia. More Kudos to them.
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by Nobody: 4:58pm On Mar 05, 2009
Please the frontpage modified caption of this thread is misleading. It's ex-first lady, not the current first lady. The implication/lesson of jailing a current first lady is far beyond that of ex-first lady.
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by Youngj1(m): 5:15pm On Mar 05, 2009
9ja wakeup.
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by otokx(m): 5:28pm On Mar 05, 2009
don't be too sure
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by MrCrackles(m): 7:35pm On Mar 05, 2009
Too lenient but all the same it will serve as a deterrent to others!

Naija should take a cue and learn one or two lessons from other African countries!
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by desthan(m): 9:50am On Mar 06, 2009
MrCrackles:

Too lenient but all the same it will serve as a deterrent to others!

Naija should take a cue and learn one or two lessons from other African countries!

9ja to learn? Who will be the Teacher and Who will be the Student? Who be the Thief and who be the Catcher? Maybe in another life but certainly not now.
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by Hadone(m): 10:06am On Mar 06, 2009
Aunty Turai Taka note!!!!!!!!!![color=#550000][/color]
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by favcom(m): 10:17am On Mar 06, 2009
I concur: This kind of thing can never happen in Nigeria
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by chuxy12(m): 11:07am On Mar 06, 2009
it is a heart warming news. it shows that the plague of corruption that has tied us down cannot be spread to other african countries.
i wonder the kind of greed virus that has infected us nigerians. this virus strain has no match or cure . day by day is on the increase. check out some amazing statistics:

1. senate members spends N300,000 for lunch allowance per day
2. lower house buys bullet proof cars fro members
3. one senator roughly has about 10 aids to himself
4. police equipment fund running into billions is gradually becoming history
5. the power probe report in which a lot of money was spent is yet to be made public
6. N500m found in the account of one of the NERC member nigeria energy reg committee
7. a country where the thieving politician have the best and eloquent lawyers with dead conscience
WHAT A COUNTRY!
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by Nobody: 12:57pm On Mar 06, 2009
Nigerians are always afraid.Even the armed robbers are afraid and that is why they don't go and hit at those who stole our money.Judges are afraid/bribed or both most times and brave some times.Giant of Africa, go back to the classroom!
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by JAZES(m): 2:16pm On Mar 06, 2009
I dont see how this will ever happen in nija, GIANT OF AFRICA IS TIME TO WAKE UP.
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by ilaugh1: 6:46pm On Mar 06, 2009
You are right, it cant happen in Nigeria because no Nigerian woman has the liver to steal as much as she did, they leave such things to their husband, it is only in less developed countries you can see such.
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by JJYOU: 6:52pm On Mar 06, 2009
i_laugh:

You are right, it cant happen in Nigeria because no Nigerian woman has the liver to steal as much as she did, they leave such things to their husband, it is only in less developed countries you can see such.
not true. most are active and willing participants. i wish this was true though.
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by MP007(m): 10:26pm On Mar 06, 2009
zambian first lady or former first lady?
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by spoilt(f): 1:38am On Mar 07, 2009
She only had $100, 000 in her account and they are shouting? grin grin grin
Re: This Can Never Happen In Nigeria - Zambian Ex-leader's Wife Jailed by Theblessed(f): 2:17pm On Mar 07, 2009
Yes, it can happen in Nigeria if the Head of State is truely God fearing and bold enough to take the Bull by the horn - to show these shameless rogues who are ruining our blessed country where they belong - in the pits.

To be able to do this, he has to work with people shares his dreams.  People hungry enough in  restoring back Nigerians' honour and pride.  He has to set out the structures to deal with those who will attempt to deviate from the rules because there are many of them waiting in the wings for an opportunity to strike.  Therefore, humiliate and sack them publicly (just like this Zambian ex-leader's wife) including those unscrupulous lawyers eager to defend them at trials.  Introduce laws that places life ban on them/their relatives from taking public posts.  Nigeria need drastic measures to restore public faith in all aspects of government.  Also, Nigerian internal security is rubbish and should be seriously looked at in order to achieve some kind of confidence in our country.  It's not only those with inflence that need security in Nigeria, every Nigerian is entitled to that right, and to feel well secured in their own country.  It saddens me that living and working abroad, most Nigerian can boast of being more secured in a foreign land than in their own blessed country.  Shame, shame and shame on you all so called leaders of Nigeria.    There are lots of intimidation/bullying among Nigerians - political assasinations, armed robbery etc.  Nigeria has enough police and the military to protect its citizens yet, they are suffering, why  The thought of going to bed and waking up with different gangs of merciless armed robbers (who feel you own them something) on your door at night is frightening and no body cares.   We have enough laws in place but no one bothers to effectively enforce the laws because, these serious crimes are not directly perpetrated on those with power and influence in Nigeria because, they cocooned themselves with security henchmen as a result, who cares about the suffering of poor Nigerians.  To them I say wait, you can run but you can't hide - your day shall come just like those before you and just like this Zambians Mrs ex-leader's wife.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lost In Transit: Dubai-based Nigerian Family Disappears On Way To Asaba / Why Is New Book About Transgenders Named After Michelle Obama? / [videos] Trump Builds Fence Around White House Following Protests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.