Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? (4159 Views)

Is Ondo State Still Producing Oil? / Rivers State No Longer Part Of Nigeria – Wike / Bayelsa Is A One Man State,no Way For PDP In 2016 – Bayelsa Elders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by 2n2k(m): 11:25am On Jul 03, 2015
Cross River state along with 8 other states of NDDC are generally regarded as oil producing states. I have noticed of late that it was getting zero allocation from 13% derivation fund for oil producing states. While I am aware that it lost some oil blocs to Akwa Ibom because of Bakassi, did it lose all?

The Revenue Allocation for May 2015 shared in June 2015 as published by the federal Ministry of Finance shows the sharing of 13% derivation (excluding normal statutory allocation) as follows

Akwa Ibom N8,212,005,455
Delta. N7,942,766,986
Balyesa. N5,168,085,390
Rivers. N4,997,560,645
Ondo. N1,150,641,330
Edo. N1,005,066,984
Abia. N343,246,495
Imo. N252,080,971

Cross Rivers and other non-oil producing states got zero share.

Another interesting fact is that, since the sharing reflect the contribution of each state to the oil revenue, it means Ondo state - the only oil producing state in the South West at N1.1billion produced/contributed almost double the total of all South East oil producing states which total N597million. This fact does not do well to the bragging rights of some SE people.
Re: Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by tmv10(m): 11:25am On Jul 03, 2015
Re: Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by eyenibibio(m): 11:33am On Jul 03, 2015
Cross River ceased producing oil since 2008 or there about when oil blocs were given over to Akwaibom state in a land mark court case.
Re: Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by 2n2k(m): 11:36am On Jul 03, 2015
eyenibibio:
Cross River ceased producing oil since 2008 or there about when oil blocs were given over to Akwaibom state in a land mark court case.

All the oil blocs in the state? shocked
Re: Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:51am On Jul 03, 2015
It lost most, if not all, of its oil wells to Akwa Ibom State in a Supreme Court judgement. How I wish ex-Governor Liyel Imoke had listened to advice not to go to court but to settle it out of court, the state wouldn't have lost that much.
Re: Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by eyenibibio(m): 11:55am On Jul 03, 2015
2n2k:

All

Cc: lalasticlala
Re: Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by eyenibibio(m): 12:01pm On Jul 03, 2015
2n2k:

According to your records, if nothing is been allocated to CR, it glaringly means there are not producing.
Re: Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by seunmsg(m): 12:08pm On Jul 03, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
It lost most, if not all, of its oil wells to Akwa Ibom State in a Supreme Court judgement. How I wish ex-Governor Liyel Imoke had listened to advice not to go to court but to settle it out of court, the state wouldn't have lost that much.

OBJ negotiated a political settlement in 2005 after Bakassi was ceded to Cameroon but Akwa Ibom under Akpabio refused to honour the agreement. Instead, he offered a N250million monthly dash to cross river as the political solution. No state government can accept such a beggarly arrangement so, Imoke rightly opted for a judicial settlement once and for all.
Re: Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by fratermathy(m): 6:12pm On Oct 10, 2015
Wonderful! I never knew Cross River State has been deprived of these benefits because of its non-oil producing status. In any case, its economy is still thriving well from tourism and agriculture. If not that former Governor Liyel Imoke didn't lavish and siphoned funds meant for development, Calabar would have transcended Nigeria and become a West African Tourist Hub. I hope Prof. Ayade learns from this and try to measure up. Even the Uyo-Itu-Odukpani-Calabar road, which is the only major road linking Cross Rivers State to the South-South and South-East, has been abandoned and it is in a state of neglect and turmoil! Uyo has already surpassed Calabar in terms of infrastructure, security, beauty, electricity and even education!!! Uyo which was only once a common local government area and a glorified village with little or no significance. Now Uyo is an overarching city, a preferable destination, a gradually growing tourist center and it surpasses most cities in the whole South and East such as Owerri, Enugu, Asaba, Warri, Port-Harcourt, Benin-City, Sapele, Ughelli, etc in all these. The only major problem with Uyo now is economic opportunities which are lacking and in this place, Port-Harcourt takes the lead. Even Calabar falls behind Uyo now in economic opportunities. Standard of life in Uyo is cheaper than all these aforementioned cities. Little wonder this city is known as that of uncommon transformation.
Without singing of Uyo's glory too much, I wish that Calabar reclaims its position as a strategic tourist hub and center of beauty in Nigeria which it is gradually losing to Uyo. I hope Prof. Ben Ayade takes a cue from Sen. Akpabio and use Cross Rivers human, tourist and agricultural resources to revamp the city and place befitting structures such as world class hospitals, schools, stadia, hotels, zoological/botanical gardens, museums, etc. These will go a long way in proving to the world that Oil is not necessary for effective development.

CC:
Lalasticlala
Ishilove
Farano
Seun
Oam4J
Re: Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by Obiagu1(m): 6:24pm On Oct 10, 2015
2n2k:

Another interesting fact is that, since the sharing reflect the contribution of each state to the oil revenue, it means Ondo state - the only oil producing state in the South West at N1.1billion produced/contributed almost double the total of all South East oil producing states which total N597million. This fact does not do well to the bragging rights of some SE people.

SE is not the same as Igboland
Re: Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by fratermathy(m): 6:45pm On Oct 10, 2015
Obiagu1:

SE is not the same as Igboland

When you wanted to post a comment, what were those words you saw in bold letters? Or you want Lalasticlala to read it out for you?

South Eastern Nigerian is wholly owned and inhabited by the Igbo speaking people of Nigeria without any exemption. Akwa Ibom and Cross Rivers have been zoned to the South South. Rivers State is in the South South too. Your statement is therefore naive. I do not stand to be corrected because I know I'm right.
Re: Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by Vicotex(m): 7:04pm On Oct 10, 2015
fratermathy:

When you wanted to post a comment, what were those words you saw in bold letters? Or you want Lalasticlala to read it out for you?

South Eastern Nigerian is wholly owned and inhabited by the Igbo speaking people of Nigeria without any exemption. Akwa Ibom and Cross Rivers have been zoned to the South South. Rivers State is in the South South too. Your statement is therefore naive. I do not stand to be corrected because I know I'm right.
my niqqa SE is not equal to Igboland.
Btw did i read where someone said something bout' Uyo being ahead of every city in S/SE?
Re: Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by fratermathy(m): 7:08pm On Oct 10, 2015
Vicotex:
my niqqa SE is not equal to Igboland.
Btw did i read where someone said something bout' Uyo being ahead of every city in S/SE?

Read it again. After digesting it properly then comment.
Re: Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by Vicotex(m): 7:10pm On Oct 10, 2015
fratermathy:

Read it again. After digesting it properly then comment.
i've done that already and all i have to say is that the guy isn't telling himself the truth
Re: Is Cross River State No Longer Producing Oil? by fratermathy(m): 7:16pm On Oct 10, 2015
Vicotex:
i've done that already and all i have to say is that the guy isn't telling himself the truth

It's alright. As long as your comment is not being clouded by "ethnic sentiments"! Im not from Akwa-Ibom nor do I have any ties there but I'm quite sure the city of Uyo is far more beautiful, neater and serene than my native city of Warri and its surrounding cities of Asaba, Sapele, Agbor and Ughelli. However, as pointed out earlier, Uyo is not so economically viable. If your argument against such statement is on this ground then we are on the same page. However, if your counter-argument is on its beauty, serenity, neatness, tourist attraction and aesthetics then you have to prove otherwise.

(1) (Reply)

Tough Time Looms As Nigeria Loses Biggest Oil Customer / Latest Results From Bayelsa Supplementary Election / Exposed!!! Why Wike Attacked Oyigbo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.