Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,439 members, 7,808,572 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:35 PM

You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time (3005 Views)

What Are The Weirdest Things You've Seen Your Kids Do? / He Is Been Accused Wrongly For Stealing / My Wife Accuses Me Wrongly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Phonetikkks: 1:20pm On Jul 03, 2015
Hello Family, I guess you having a good day and hope this finds you well. Below are correct pronunciations (queens pronunciations) of common names you bear, or give your kids. Many pronounce their own names wrongly and may not know this:

Mabel -------- may bull (not "may bell" )
Mary -------- merry (not "may ree" )
Josephine -------- joze fin (not "jo seh fin" )
Micheal -------- mai cole (not "mai kell" )
Nicholas -------- nicklas (not "knee ko las" )
Marvelous -------- marv lous (not "ma veh lous" )
Jonathan -------- jaw na than (not "joe na tan)
Reginald -------- reh gee nold (not "ray gee nad" )

Joel -------- jole (not "jo el" )
Joseph -------- joe zev (not "joe sef" )
Joan -------- jone (not "joe ann" )
Yvonne -------- e von (not "vo nnè" )
Vaughan -------- vorn (not "vo gan" )
Sarah -------- seh rah (not "say rah" )
Jessica -------- jeh sica (not ''jay sica'' )
Rebecca -------- reh beh ka (not "ray bay ca" )
Daniel -------- da newl (not "dan yell" )
Joshua -------- jaw shwa (not "joe shwa" )

Glory -------- glaw ree (not "glow ree" )
Kingsley -------- kings lee (not "kin slee" )
Babara -------- babra (not "ba barà" )
Deborah -------- Debra (not "deh bora " ) wink
Marie -------- more reè (not "ma ree" )
Donald -------- dor nawld (not "do naad" )
Elizabeth -------- eli za beth or eliz beth (both correct)

PS: If you trip to Native countries (English countries) and pronounce these names otherwise, they would find it difficult comprehending who or what you mean. Someone may even call your name just behind you, and you wouldn't recognise it's your name they called.

Feel free to add yours.

3 Likes

Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by eme1n(m): 1:29pm On Jul 03, 2015
Warri pronunciations..
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by tpiander: 1:32pm On Jul 03, 2015
Nobody pronounces vaughan as vogan.

1 Like

Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by vanhelsing2099(m): 1:38pm On Jul 03, 2015
Okay
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Phonetikkks: 1:47pm On Jul 03, 2015
tpiander:
Nobody pronounces vaughan as vogan.

Lol, I've heard all kinds of pronunciations of that name, you go fear.
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by activelyA(f): 4:20pm On Jul 03, 2015
Very guilty of Deborah lipsrsealed
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Xplicit1(f): 4:45pm On Jul 03, 2015
This is helpful. Thanks op.
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by 5minsmadness: 4:52pm On Jul 03, 2015
Cool thread smiley

1 Like

Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by crackhaus: 5:03pm On Jul 03, 2015
Interesting... cool

However, I think Nigeria should have it's own dictionary with our own method of pronunciation... I mean, what gives 'The Queen' the right to decide how I pronounce my words gringringrin

5 Likes

Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Haywhymido(m): 5:55pm On Jul 03, 2015
embarassed cry how do I pronounce jonathan. In honour of d immediate past president of d federal republic
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Mariecakes(f): 6:58pm On Jul 03, 2015
Merry Cakes cool nice

2 Likes

Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by pretydiva(f): 7:46pm On Jul 03, 2015
Nice 1 op. Na 2 begin phonetic b dis oo..hehehe..mk I run go meet my pako friends begin nack d English 4 deir ear grin

1 Like

Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by eleojo23: 7:47pm On Jul 03, 2015
But some people will no longer recognize their names if we begin to pronounce them like this.
They are already used to the Nigerian version. cheesy
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Phonetikkks: 8:22pm On Jul 03, 2015
crackhaus:
Interesting... cool

However, I think Nigeria should have it's own dictionary with our own method of pronunciation... I mean, what gives 'The Queen' the right to decide how I pronounce my words gringringrin

Lol, well they are borrowed names in the first place, you can't decide your own pronunciations for foreign names, just as the Queen can't teach us how to pronounce "Maduekwe".

Play by their rules lol
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Phonetikkks: 8:26pm On Jul 03, 2015
Haywhymido:
embarassed cry how do I pronounce jonathan. In honour of d immediate past president of d federal republic

Lol okay.

Say after me "jaw na than"
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Phonetikkks: 10:23pm On Jul 03, 2015
pretydiva:
Nice 1 op. Na 2 begin phonetic b dis oo..hehehe..mk I run go meet my pako friends begin nack d English 4 deir ear grin

Lol spread the good news...
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Phonetikkks: 5:55pm On Jul 10, 2015
eleojo23:
But some people will no longer recognize their names if we begin to pronounce them like this.
They are already used to the Nigerian version. cheesy

Abi lol...but it will help you when you journey overseas.
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Phonetikkks: 7:16pm On Jul 10, 2015
Xplicit1:
This is helpful. Thanks op.

You welcome.
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Evina(f): 7:35pm On Jul 10, 2015
Phonetikkks:

You welcome.

Yet every time I pronounce my name (Glaw ria) I get, "what? Laura?" angry
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
I find this quite captivating cool

1 Like

Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Phonetikkks: 10:14pm On Jul 10, 2015
Evina:

Yet every time I pronounce my name (Glaw ria) I get, "what? Laura?" angry

They say that out of ignorance. Many Nigerians don't actually pronounce properly.
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by UnknownT: 12:07am On Jul 11, 2015
I can't find my name
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Phonetikkks: 12:12am On Jul 11, 2015
UnknownT:
I can't find my name

Cause it's unknown lol
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by EyeKandy(f): 3:36am On Jul 11, 2015
Funny thread.

You didn't add Pamela, Leonard and Hillary. Pronouncing these names wrongly drives me crazy.
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by cococandy(f): 4:27am On Jul 11, 2015
It's funny.
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by armyofone(m): 6:58am On Jul 11, 2015
Greg Re not green go Re

Wanna not Ju ah nah
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Godspearl(f): 11:53am On Jul 11, 2015
Thanks op .
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jul 11, 2015
Joan.. joe ann grin grin

Interesting
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 11, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Joan.. joe ann grin grin

Interesting

MarvellousGod - Mavvvv ell ussss Gad grin
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Godskidmidas(m): 12:55pm On Jul 11, 2015
EyeKandy:
Funny thread.

You didn't add Pamela, Leonard and Hillary. Pronouncing these names wrongly drives me crazy.
How're those names pronounced?
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Godskidmidas(m): 1:01pm On Jul 11, 2015
Mary Michael Sarah Rebecca Daniel Jonathan. Those names are Hebrew names not English names. They've been even before the advent of English. So no English man should tell me how to pronounce a name that he doesn't know the origin of.
As he take hungry me na hin I go pronounce am

Hope say I never misyan sha
Re: You've Been Pronouncing Your Name WRONGLY The Whole Time by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 11, 2015
Scrypt:

MarvellousGod - Mavvvv ell ussss Gad grin
lol cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Will You Do If Your Daughter Brings This Guy Home? / Help Am In A Dilemma Now. / What Level Of Education You Would Love Your Husband To Have?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.