Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. - Education (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. (45384 Views)

The 6 Youngest PhD Holders In Nigeria (Photos) / List Of The 5 Youngest PhD Holders In Nigeria / HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by damilareoye: 5:49pm On Jul 05, 2015
Imokay:

What is all these talk about one qualification being better than the other? It seems the purpose of having universities separate from polytechnics is lost on most Nigerians. That is why you will find many Nigerians expect that a Mechanical Engineering professor should be uncoupling a car engine, then what is the role of auto-technicians and artisans?

All these hues and cries is because we have lost focus as a people and all we are after is the bottom line salary not joint effort, and relative contribution.

Until everyone start playing his proper role we are going nowhere as a nation. As far as we keep putting HND holder (technologist) to handle B.sc holder(engineer-after 4 years of practice) job, we will get our usual mediocre results.
Some organisation are even proud to recruit Bsc holders for jobs meant for OND or WASC holders, or even the idiotic and degrading graduate driver's scheme.
You nailed it bro.
The bottom line is, we should stop beefing and degrading each other . Lets work together
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by erico2k2(m): 5:52pm On Jul 05, 2015
saxywale:

For that position, the wage is £33k to 38k. Wages are incredibly low in the UK despite the high cost of living. That £33,000 is around the average starting salary for an entry level technologist to 2years experience (polytechnic graduate) in western Canada. An Engineering manager would be looking at a minimum of £65,000 in this part of the world.

In Canada, which is part of the west too, it depends on the level of job. They are very much concerned about your qualifications. How would a company successfully bid for engineering contracts if level of education is not important Our clients check for so many interesting stuffs right from the education of drafters/engineers/pm's to our safety records/number of work related accidents from previous years e.t.c before awarding a contract.

I work in a company that designs and builds refineries, drilling rigs, well pads, pressure vessels e.t.c all over the
world and It's a regulatory requirement in Canada, US and Australia that Engineers(with a minimum of bachelors degree) manage projects of such magnitude.

We have lots of technologists (poly graduates). For every engineer recruited, like 5 polytech graduates would also be employed. Polytechnic grad jobs are usually limited to designs, drafting, welding inspections, supervising technicians, ndt e.t.c. These fields equally pay very good money too as they get lots of overtime and living out allowances for those in the field.

please give me a link to reflect that salary. I'm waiting cos from my observations the minimum wage in the UK is higher than that of even the USA.Im waiting for a job vacancy to reflect that pay so I change my assumptions
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by omokab: 5:54pm On Jul 05, 2015
tonytony208:

i intentionally wrote cant that way. It is only an eediotic deadhead like you that will make a big deal of that.
just the way a public fool like you was accusing somebody on social media that he does know how to write a good english because he was expressing himself.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by zeusdgrt(m): 5:58pm On Jul 05, 2015
tonytony208:

you cant even construct simple and correct sentence. Shame on you! It is not "had to noticed", it should be "HARD to NOTICE". At least, your eediotic self has learnt something today
guy ur verbal diarrhoea infected mouth is the reason for your poverty stricken life ,keep showing us that your are a destined fool on point!
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by saintbukie: 6:00pm On Jul 05, 2015
Militants started their grievances like this and nobody cared until it boomeranged. So also Boko haram started the same way and Govt. failed to curb it but they are now Cancerworms to the entire nation.
Are we going to continue on the bad legacy laid by our Leaders on Bsc. and HND discrimination. Why are we so myopic in our thinking as Youths of this great Nation. It is only here in Nigeria that this discrimination is well pronounced.
My message to the University graduates who see themselves as being superior over HND is: I hope you've all prepared for a showdown that may be more brutal and bloody than militants revolution or that of Boko haram insurgency. We've all heard and seen inter-ethnic, inter-tribal, inter-religious crises,etc. May be it is high time we watched inter- qualification(Bsc - HND) saga. And I bet you it will be a longlasting one. Watch out!!!
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by efkayreality(m): 6:06pm On Jul 05, 2015
teawhy2788:
Hummm! What a public opinion! I'm proud to be a poly grad. Anyway,It's nationally believed and research has shown that practically,poly students are far better than uni students.I believe that d so-called discrimination will end soon bcs nothing is special in uni wia they do little or no practical aspect

True talk. I am a poly graduate of engineering, and am proud to tell you some of my uni friends come to me for assistance "base on appointment" back then in school days.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 05, 2015
erico2k2:

please give me a link to reflect that salary. I'm waiting cos from my observations the minimum wage in the UK is higher than that of even the USA.Im waiting for a job vacancy to reflect that pay so I change my assumptions
I don't live in the US. I live in Canada. Will post job vacancies in about an hour. driving to a barbeque in the park now.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by erico2k2(m): 6:21pm On Jul 05, 2015
saxywale:

I don't live in the US. I live in Canada. Will post job vacancies in about an hour. driving to a barbeque in the park now.
I know you live in Canada. What I meant by that phrase was if the minimum wage of the US is less than the UK the the one of Canada is worse as wages in the USA are meant to be better than them ones in Canada.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by ollyruffy: 6:24pm On Jul 05, 2015
This country will continue to be backward. Reading comments here is evident enough. The country where they place certificates more than individual capabilities.

HND and Bsc are equal in Nigeria. In fact Nigerian HND graduates in engineering are better than BEng graduates. What is the essence of a certificate in electrical engineering and you cannot wire up an ordinary wheatstone bridge circuit?
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Janyves(m): 6:40pm On Jul 05, 2015
.... Until the peeps who started this discrimination review it for the greater good of Nigeria, there will always be hatred amongst us. Cus the whites who initiated it have sinced upgraded theirs...... And the naija engineering industry ain't gonna get any beta until there is harmony between all cadres.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 05, 2015
erico2k2:

That's a five year engineering manager position in the water industry. oil and gas pays more.

Also attached is a civil technologists. one of the lowest paying technologist field in Canada.

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by BluePulse: 6:54pm On Jul 05, 2015
Spybradd:

big fooo,keep on deceiving urself and everybody...
U have this n that n u are on here waking up 5am just to catch da free danfo to attend Apm apapa terminus job interview n the next thing,u are in da board! Real zoogerian!
grin grin

Animal on d run... How ur animal parents 2day?
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by BluePulse: 6:59pm On Jul 05, 2015
Spybradd:

big fooo,keep on deceiving urself and everybody...
U have this n that n u are on here waking up 5am just to catch da free danfo to attend Apm apapa terminus job interview n the next thing,u are in da board! Real zoogerian!
grin grin

Animal on d run... How ur animal parents 2day?
But I at least expect that ur maturity of 40years plus will make u respect dis thread and make inspiring contributions. Not the shit u fill urself with on every thread. Let ur life reflect something good 4 once. Make an honest opinion on the issue discussed here.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Smithkline555: 7:02pm On Jul 05, 2015
ollyruffy:
This country will continue to be backward. Reading comments here is evident enough. The country where they place certificates more than individual capabilities.

HND and Bsc are equal in Nigeria. In fact Nigerian HND graduates in engineering are better than BEng graduates. What is the essence of a certificate in electrical engineering and you cannot wire up an ordinary wheatstone bridge circuit?
You ve refused to learn... That is not the job of a Bsc holder but that of a technologist! Stop been ignorant. Bsc is not equal to HND.

1 Like

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by erico2k2(m): 7:05pm On Jul 05, 2015
saxywale:

That's a five year engineering manager position in the water industry. oil and gas pays more.

Also attached is a civil technologists. one of the lowest paying technologist field in Canada.
guy that's not a fair comparison to what I posted.whaat I posted is the next post above a supervisor or a team leader.You posted a job to do with Engineering manager who Controls international biz n that.just to go back to basics.lers start from the lowest of lowest.a brick layer in the UK earns £1000 a week nowadays.lets check with that equivalent
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by successsurvivor(m): 7:06pm On Jul 05, 2015
You guys should please close this forum. The person that opened this thread is either daft or high on some kind of substandard weed. Who or what gave you the guts to compare a degree holder to a mere HND (equivalent to a secondary school certificate) certificate.

I acquired my degree from the University of Nigeria Nsukka, and my masters degree from the University of Greenwich London in International Human Resources Management. Am aware of the intense competition in the favour market, that is why I had to upgrade to a masters degree.

Please HND cry babies, go and upgrade your educational status, and stop constituting a nuisance in our degree based educational Institutions. The day UNN Scraped their diploma programs, was the day cult activities virtually became non existence in UNN. Go and upgrade, I sat for jamb, and spent five years in school, go buy yours. Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 05, 2015
erico2k2:

guy that's not a fair comparison to what I posted.whaat I posted is the next post above a supervisor or a team leader.You posted a job to do with Engineering manager who Controls international biz n that.just to go back to basics.lers start from the lowest of lowest.a brick layer in the UK earns £1000 a week nowadays.lets check with that equivalent
post a link where a bricklayer earns 1000 pounds a week. Thank God I schooled in the UK too.
In the link below..the position advertised has less responsibility than the one you posted. Yet the pay between 120-140k

http://ca.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=3082c991fe971ec0&q=Project+Manager&l=Alberta&tk=19pfqgsmpb9htfnm
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Bluffly: 8:18pm On Jul 05, 2015
Jakara:

Learn to read well before contributing. Which constitution stated that they should be discriminated in Labour Market more expecially in a place where people bear live arms. I pray that you or your family becomes a direct victim or fall casualty to this unconstitutional and irrelevant discrimination.
Say Amen to my prayers above if you are still sure that B.Sc is constitutionally above HND.
Its a shame that we have such situation at hand. From time immemorial HND as never been equal to B.Sc. The gesture of equality started when they both serve, HND holders forgetting that NYSC is not an academic conversion course, but a mandatory patriotic exercise to be gainfully employed into publice service or hit the ground as technicians(hnd) or as the cases may be for B.Sc.
The only thing I oppose is the total number of years spent. My submission is that OND should 12 months plus 6 months Industrial training plus 18 months for HND making 36 months while B.Sc spends 48 months. Then an HND holder could do 12 months or 18 months as the case may be in Business, Engineering or Sciences.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Tobilexy: 8:46pm On Jul 05, 2015
Jakara:
Federal Government should please end this certificate discrimination between HND & B.Sc. holders in Federal Ministry of Interior (Prisons, Immigration, Civil Defence) and others in order to increase their productivity. My brother the curriculum is different,moreover how many professors teach in poly few or no professors at all

This discrimination is irrelevant, dangerious, unethical and unconstitutional.

There is a looming bloody clash between these two cadres at fields of operation due to live arms/ammunition they bear and that is why every well meaning Nigerian should help towards scrapping out this because you/ your family will become victim directly/indirectly & never ask God why because you caused it by not publishing or broadcasting this message.

Few of the discriminations witnessed in Min. of Interior are;
? HND (Inspectorate Cadre), while B.Sc. (Superintendent Cadre).
? Entry Level for HND is G/L 7, while a fellow Graduate with B.Sc. is G/L 8.
? HND G/L 7 earns (#70,000 pm), while B.Sc. G/L 8 earns (#120,000 pm).
? Terminal Point for HND is G/L 13, while B.Sc. is to the highest G/L.
? HND/ inspectorate cadre ranks are confusing, while superintendent
ranks are normal ranks/recognized ranks in military/paramilitary
agencies.
? B.Sc Holder hardly pay complement to his superior officer with HND certificate.
? HND graduates are denied one Grade Level during rank conversation.
? Above all, HND holder in this Ministry of Interior are regarded and treated as artisans with WASC or Trade Test qualifications.

It is shameful that staff of Ministry of Interior and others as affected no longer concentrate on their duties or bring ideas that could help the job, rather they focuse on getting more certificates by hook or by crook in order to be converted to superintendent cadre.

It is obvious that other well recognised security agencies like; Nigeria Military, DSS, Nigerian Police, etc do not discriminate
in ranking between HND & B.Sc. Holders.

Federal Government should merge Ministry of Interior with Police to stop this nonsense if they persists in this evil act called discrimination.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by mbahra: 9:25pm On Jul 05, 2015
Haba, graduates of the federal Republic of Nigeria, it's of no essence to argue unnecessarily over glaring facts. Bsc/HND ooo, they all have designed responsibilities and trained aspects. Take for instance, in engineering, a trained engineer(Bsc/B. Eng) is equipped with the knowledge of design and representation of artful thoughts while a trained technologist (HND) is equipped with an organized knowledge for practical purposes, development and implementation.

In essence, they are team mates and depends on each other to excel. But, some MDAs and private sectors in our country make mistakes in discriminating the roles and Cadre. By standard and practice no discrimination should exist as opportunity should exist for all to rise.

Similar Example, you go to hospitals today, the first superior person that comes into your mind is the medical doctor. You never thought of the pharmacist, lab technologists etc whom the medical doctor can't work without. They work in team with spelt responsibilities.

HND/Bsc dichotomy should be removed for a better productivity. Just Making a common sense.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by creepsyme(f): 9:25pm On Jul 05, 2015
frank043:

You stylishly avoided answering the question... Hmmmm. Diaris god oooo.
sincerely I had to remove my pic cos it was getting too much attention. jokes apart am cute believe it or not.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Justbright(m): 10:42pm On Jul 05, 2015
saintbukie:
Militants started their grievances like this and nobody cared until it boomeranged. So also Boko haram started the same way and Govt. failed to curb it but they are now Cancerworms to the entire nation.
Are we going to continue on the bad legacy laid by our Leaders on Bsc. and HND discrimination. Why are we so myopic in our thinking as Youths of this great Nation. It is only here in Nigeria that this discrimination is well pronounced.
My message to the University graduates who see themselves as being superior over HND is: I hope you've all prepared for a showdown that may be more brutal and bloody than militants revolution or that of Boko haram insurgency. We've all heard and seen inter-ethnic, inter-tribal, inter-religious crises,etc. May be it is high time we watched inter- qualification(Bsc - HND) saga. And I bet you it will be a longlasting one. Watch out!!!

Be objective un ue analysis....d fundamental ussues like entry requirment,quality of facilitaors etc
Techincal education is sine qua non to national development but a situation where polytechnic now offers marketing,economics andpublic admin us a detour from d ourpose of tecnical education....
Poly students have undue advantage over Bsc holder in d area of dual certificates....a student may have a poor result in ND due to some preventable reasons and come back to make a distinction in hnd bt dats not possible in uni cos onece u take a bad footings in ur first two years u as as gud as ending badly.......
My point is.dat all d fubdamental issues needs to be iron out den both geafuate can compete favourly for the betterment of nigeria
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by tonytony208(m): 11:28pm On Jul 05, 2015
zeusdgrt:
guy ur verbal diarrhoea infected mouth is the reason for your poverty stricken life ,keep showing us that your are a destined fool on point!

your dad is a destined fool and he has passed that foolishness to you. Poverty will afflict your family till your dad, mom and siblings start wearing rag on the street.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by tonytony208(m): 11:33pm On Jul 05, 2015
omokab:
just the way a public fool like you was accusing somebody on social media that he does know how to write a good english because he was expressing himself.

only a deadhead and irredeemable slowpoke like you wont be able to differentiate between a typo and a grammatical blunder. And always keep in mind that your dad is a public foool.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by frank043(m): 11:35pm On Jul 05, 2015
creepsyme:
sincerely I had to remove my pic cos it was getting too much attention. jokes apart am cute believe it or not.

Of course I believe you...seriously,you don't have to swear before I believe you. You mind I see your CUTE face? grin
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by aleem50(m): 11:36pm On Jul 05, 2015
tonytony208:

what i wrote is the correct thing. Go back to JSS 1 Brighter grammar and learn how to construct question sentences.

And to educate you, it is not "thought"; rather, it is "taught".
you got me there...lol ,I made a mistake and I have admitted that but you ain't ready to accept ur own mistake cos how can you say which school did you graduate from is the correct instead of which school did you graduated from, I will be glad if you can explain why it is so, we keep learning everyday.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by tonytony208(m): 11:41pm On Jul 05, 2015
habayommy:

i am a bastard. My mum was gangrapped and that led to my pregnancy. The curse of my forbidden birth is following me about and it will follow me forever. I am hopeless and i will never make headway in life. Bitterness will take permanent residence in my family. Pain and agony will be my lot for the rest of this year amen

two can play. Bring it on, dumbass!
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by tonytony208(m): 12:03am On Jul 06, 2015
aleem50:
you got me there...lol ,I made a mistake and I have admitted that but you ain't ready to accept ur own mistake cos how can you say which school did you graduate from is the correct instead of which school did you graduated from, I will be glad if you can explain why it is so, we keep learning everyday.

apologies for pointing out your mistake.

Now, compare these two questions:

which school did you attend?

and

which school did you attended?

You will agree that the second statement sounds very absurd.

Now, let's compare these two statements:

which church did you go today?

And

which church did you went today?

It is clear the second one sounds absurd.

You may also want to compare:

How did you do it?

And

How did you did it?

Of course, the second one is not corect.

According to the rules, verbs in question statements MUST be in present tense.

That is what makes

"which school did you ATTEND?" correct; instead of "which school did you ATTENDED?"
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by erico2k2(m): 12:08am On Jul 06, 2015
saxywale:

post a link where a bricklayer earns 1000 pounds a week. Thank God I schooled in the UK too.
In the link below..the position advertised has less responsibility than the one you posted. Yet the pay between 120-140k

http://ca.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=3082c991fe971ec0&q=Project+Manager&l=Alberta&tk=19pfqgsmpb9htfnm
Ah you think Im joking when I said they earn up to £1000 a week
see this link
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/dec/09/bricklayers-shortage-skilled-workers-uk-construction
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by aleem50(m): 12:11am On Jul 06, 2015
tonytony208:

apologies for pointing out your mistake.

Now, compare these two questions:

which school did you attend?

and

which school did you attended?

You will agree that the second statement sounds very absurd.

Now, let's compare these two statements:

which church did you go today?

And

which church did you went today?

It is clear the second one sounds absurd.

You may also want to compare:

How did you do it?

And

How did you did it?

Of course, the second one is not corect.

According to the rules, verbs in question statements MUST be in present tense.

That is what makes

"which school did you ATTEND?" correct; instead of "which school did you ATTENDED?"
"According to the rules, verbs in question statements
MUST be in present tense".What's the name of the rule and where did you get your own rule. So you telling me that for instance have you go there is correct instead of have you gone there?
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by zeusdgrt(m): 1:14am On Jul 06, 2015
tonytony208:

your dad is a destined fool and he has passed that foolishness to you. Poverty will afflict your family till your dad, mom and siblings start wearing rag on the street.
If your dad listened to myadvice that night to get a good condom before sleeping with your mum he wouldn't have given birth to a goat like you,to worsen issues he had to put marijuana leaf around his d**k and consult a witchdoctor before he could get his manhood up.So am not surprised about your brainless head due to the circumstances of your birth.Agbaya!go look bush Monkey

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Chioma Opara; Made 9A's In WAEC, 345 In JAMB, Wins $340,000 Scholarships / Student Holding Python In University Of Maiduguri For Her CA Test / Lasu Post Utme 2011/2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.