Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,163 members, 7,780,147 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:12 AM

My Baking Hobby.. :D - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / My Baking Hobby.. :D (24533 Views)

When She Says Cooking Is Her Hobby / Baking With Local Oven / Photo: Wow! This Is An Amazing Exhibition Of Creativity In Baking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by nifdem: 4:39pm On Dec 08, 2015
Pls it's moist and fluffy recipe for sponge cake that I want ma. Thanks
mooretes:
@MrsOJ
Here is a link to one of my favourite cakes, though I just confess I don't like chocolate cake, however this recipe is really lovely and the cake very moist. Instead of expresso coffee just use normal coffee.

http://addapinch.com/cooking/the-best-chocolate-cake-recipe-ever/

She has several other recipes but I haven't tried them yet.
I have added a screenshot of the recipe.

Also,where it says a cup of boiling water, please make sure it is a cup of boiling water.

You can make the cake using just a bowl and a laddle instead of a mixer because I have always used a bowl without any problem.

Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), cocoa powder and coffee

In another bowl, mix your vanilla, eggs, milk and vegetable oil.

Ps: Ive read somewhere that if using powdered milk, mix 2 tablespoon of milk with a cup of water (I haven't tried this, but I do have another information on how to use powdered milk, only, I'd have to search for it).

Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well, at this stage the mix will be somewhat hard in consistency, add your boiling water and mix, this will make your mixture thin, don't worry, nothing is wrong with your mix.

Bake using an 8 inch or 9 inch pan, btw 50-60mins, oven temperature 140-160.
I hardly use 180, if you want a moist cake, bake on low heat for a little longer.

Ps: Turn oven to 140 before you start mixing.
If using two pans like the woman suggested, then baking time would be about 30-45mins

Nifdem, urs will come in grams, just wanted to drop something in the meantime
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 8:28pm On Dec 08, 2015
Hi nifdem, here is a link to a sponge cake recipe, its in grams and hopefully this will turn out nice.

I haven't tried it out yet but if you let me, I can make it tonight and give you a review tomorrow.

http://red-brolly.com/2014/07/how-to-make-a-perfect-sponge/

Please I'm just a regular person so no to 'ma' if you don't mind.

Thanks
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by nifdem: 9:33pm On Dec 08, 2015
I appreciate ur effort..thanks so much
mooretes:
Hi nifdem, here is a link to a sponge cake recipe, its in grams and hopefully this will turn out nice.

I haven't tried it out yet but if you let me, I can make it tonight and give you a review tomorrow.

http://red-brolly.com/2014/07/how-to-make-a-perfect-sponge/

Please I'm just a regular person so no to 'ma' if you don't mind.

Thanks
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 10:08pm On Dec 08, 2015
No worries babes
Just a quick one, with a fluffy/soft sponge cake the main work is in beating the eggs.

For me, my main sponge recipe and what I always keep in mind is: Equal weight measurement of butter, sugar, eggs and flour.

I tend to use self raising flour as opposed to plain flour because you end up adding baking powder to your plain flour mix.

Self raising flour can be made using
1 cup/110g or 150g plain flour (the gram measurement depends on what you use in calculating)
2 teaspoon of baking powder

Add both ingredients together and sift so as to incorporate.

Or
1cup plain flour
1 and a Half teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix well and sift

Both recipes make a cup of self raising flour.

The main recipe I tend to use if I want to make a quick cake is
175g flour, sugar, butter and 3 eggs (if you want you can weigh you eggs, it should fall to about 175g depending on the size). 1-2 tablespoon of milk.
Mix as per normal, bake in 140-160 degrees for 35-50mins if batter was poured in just a pan.

Fir the previous recipe, I am just trying it out and my 3 eggs weighed 171g. This is fine as long as it is not well under or over.

I also tried the Kenwood strawberry and cream sponge cake,
http://www.kenwoodworld.com/uk/cooking-with-kenwood/recipes/kitchen-machines-recipes/cakes-pastries-and-biscuits/strawberries-and-cream-sponge#

The recipe was quite good, only you need to mix your sugar and egg until pale, like you are making meringue.

Cakes almost done will post a photo soon

Btw:
A chocolate cake is a variation of a sponge cake, only that recipes are tweaked to fit their deacription.

I believe most times when we say sponge in Nigeria, we tend to imply victoria sponge.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 10:18pm On Dec 08, 2015
Here is the finished cake. Hope yours turns out well.

V a good evening

1 Like

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Nobody: 7:24am On Dec 09, 2015
@mooretes you are a darling, i decided to try the chocolate cake today. Will post a pic. Pls keep sharing them recipes, if u also have low calorie and healthy ones, pls share.
Thanks a bunch

Modified: its not bad but don't really like it, prefer normal cake that is soft n moist.

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 11:52am On Dec 09, 2015
@mrsOJ, no worries. Will post some healthy ones here too.

Would like yo see a photo when you are done.

Quick review of the vanilla/victoria cake I made yesterday
The cake was really soft last night after coming out of the oven
Leaving it to the elements (its winter so quite cold) it turned out a little bit dried out.

So how do we prevent this?

I have read to keep your cake moist,
As soon as its out of the pan, place a slice bread on top, by the morning your bread becomes hard and your cake stays moist
I haven't tried this method

However, to keep my cake moist for longer, I tend to wrap it up in greaseproof or baking paper as soon as its out of the pan and I freeze straight away.

All my cakes have stayed fresh and moist.

Also for the sponge cake, depending on the recipe, you can add about 4 tablespoons or 1/4 cup or 60ml to 1cup/250ml of milk.

Hope it helps
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 09, 2015
mooretes:
@mrsOJ, no worries. Will post some healthy ones here too.

Would like yo see a photo when you are done.

Quick review of the vanilla/victoria cake I made yesterday
The cake was really soft last night after coming out of the oven
Leaving it to the elements (its winter so quite cold) it turned out a little bit dried out.

So how do we prevent this?

I have read to keep your cake moist,
As soon as its out of the pan, place a slice bread on top, by the morning your bread becomes hard and your cake stays moist
I haven't tried this method

However, to keep my cake moist for longer, I tend to wrap it up in greaseproof or baking paper as soon as its out of the pan and I freeze straight away.

All my cakes have stayed fresh and moist.

Also for the sponge cake, depending on the recipe, you can add about 4 tablespoons or 1/4 cup or 60ml to 1cup/250ml of milk.

Hope it helps

Don't know how to measure in grams plus my scale is not accurate that's why i prefer cup measurements. For the chocolate cake love the coffee taste in it.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 12:29pm On Dec 09, 2015
That's fine. Cake is a science and if the measurements are inaccurate you run the risk of turning it into something else.

I take it you've finished the cake, can we see the photo then please?

Thanks
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 09, 2015
mooretes:
That's fine. Cake is a science and if the measurements are inaccurate you run the risk of turning it into something else.

I take it you've finished the cake, can we see the photo then please?

Thanks

Sorry forgot to snap remembered after dividing the cake, here's my share.

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 2:11pm On Dec 09, 2015
Awww, the cake looks exactly how it should. What did people say?

Thanks for sharing.

Ive had mine for over a week now and it still looks good. I'm not a big chocolate cake fan so don't eat it at all. But tbh its fantastic and not sweet at all, like you say, you can taste the coffee.

If you like buttercream, you can try her recipe too

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Nobody: 2:36pm On Dec 09, 2015
Kids loved it plus a friend, she was so happy.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 4:23pm On Dec 09, 2015
@nifdem,
If I was to choose btw the Kenwood recipe and the one I tried yday, I will pick the Kenwood as the cake turned out really great even after day two.

http://www.kenwoodworld.com/uk/cooking-with-kenwood/recipes/kitchen-machines-recipes/cakes-pastries-and-biscuits/strawberries-and-cream-sponge#

Just follow the instruction.

Let us know how it turns out
Thanks in advance
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by nifdem: 4:51pm On Dec 09, 2015
Thanks so much...this Kenwood method is a bit different compare to the creaming of sugar and butter method dt am used to.
mooretes:
@nifdem,
If I was to choose btw the Kenwood recipe and the one I tried yday, I will pick the Kenwood as the cake turned out really great even after day two.

Just follow the instruction.

Let us know how it turns out
Thanks in advance
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 6:35pm On Dec 09, 2015
@mrsoj, glad they liked it.
@nifdem, please remember there is no butter in this recipe, instead of the normal paddle attachment of your mixer, you will need go use the balloon whisk.

If you don't have a mixer, it will take a long time but you will need to use ab egg beater or whisk and cream until it looks pale/white, I'm unsure how long this will take in terms of timing. I hope all turns out well for you.

MrsOJ will send you a peach and Greek yoghurt cake recipe, it is quite healthy, however doesn't keep long. We tend eat it with homemade peach frozen yoghurt.

1 Like

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 6:38pm On Dec 09, 2015
@nifdem, forgive me, there is butter only not as much as what most recipes call for and the butter is added (softened) after you have creamed the sugar and eggs

Sorry for the mix up, the recipe does call for 75g of butter

1 Like

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by chigal4real: 10:51pm On Dec 09, 2015
hello all, I love this forum, pls I need help, I am a new baker, I HV been baking for two months now but I noticed that this dry season the snacks get dried in space of 2hrs, pls what am I doing wrong or what do I need to do to make it right. pls help
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by chigal4real: 10:55pm On Dec 09, 2015
also when I bake cake, the sides comes out dried, pls what do I do
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 1:03pm On Dec 10, 2015
Hi chigal4real,
I'm unsure how to respond to your question as I do not live in Nigeria. However, to keep your cake fresh, I would probably wrap it up as soon as its cool to touch. Also you can add glycerine to your cake mix to keep it from drying out.

From memory I think it is a teaspoon of glycerine, please do not quote me but I will check and get back to you on it.

Cheers
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by chigal4real: 9:04pm On Dec 10, 2015
Thanks
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 1:32pm On Feb 01, 2016
Happy new year all and happy new month too. Finally got round to posting the recipe for the healthy cake option I talked about.
So here we go

Peaches and Blueberry greek yoghurt cake (http://juliasalbum.com)

1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
2 peaches, sliced into wedges
6 oz blueberries
1 teaspoon granulated sugar

Preheat oven 180
mix all dry ingredients together and sift.
In a separate bowl, mix butter, sugar, and add two eggs, for roughly 3 minutes, then add the greek yoghurt.
Mix for about 1 minute then add the flour mixture. Mix on low speed and transfer into cake pan.
Top with the peaches (in a fan fashion) and blueberries. Sprinkle with the teaspoon of sugar and bake for about 1 hour or until toothpick comes clean.

Hope it turns out well for you as it did for me.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 12:59pm On Mar 11, 2016
Hello guys! It's been a while I posted here. Been really occupied with school work and clinical but that hasn't stopped me from doing what I love most..... BAKING!!! :-D Got some new designs.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 1:19pm On Mar 11, 2016
Made this for a lecturer's 3-year old. She wanted my 'trademark' basket design. Practice makes perfect. smiley

1 Like

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 1:22pm On Mar 11, 2016
This one was made for someone's convocation. I don't know the person... a friend's friend.

1 Like

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 1:33pm On Mar 11, 2016
This cake was impromptu. A colleague needed it urgently for her mum's birthday and I had no choice but to help her out. I started decorating around 4am, the morning she was to collect it and at daybreak I realized the covering was too thin. I had to come up with something to cover up the flaw... then I remembered a youtube video on making fondant pleats I watched and this was what I came up with.

3 Likes

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 1:35pm On Mar 11, 2016
I made this these two beautiful babies this morning and the comments I've been getting are 'head swelling'. smiley

1 Like

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 1:43pm On Mar 11, 2016
That's all for now. I'll keep y'all posted. smiley Thank you.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Emerald65(f): 8:16pm On Mar 11, 2016
Am really impressed with ur cakes n u have gingered me to learn how to icing my cakes. Gud work babe

1 Like

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by FunadoysKitchen(f): 1:58pm On Mar 12, 2016
I love your work.
Its coolcool cool

1 Like

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 4:32pm On Mar 12, 2016
Emerald65:
Am really impressed with ur cakes n u have gingered me to learn how to icing my cakes. Gud work babe
Thank you. smiley
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 4:33pm On Mar 12, 2016
FunadoysKitchen:
I love your work. Its coolcool cool
Thank you. smiley
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by katori: 9:36pm On Mar 12, 2016
You are the magician! I only just want to taste your cakes, they seems to be very delicious!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shop Sells Human bosom Milk Ice-cream / Recipes You Can Prepare For Christmas / Question Of The Day: Is Sugarcane A Fruit Or Vegetable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.