Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres (2334 Views)

Lady Teaches Ladies How To Change Car Tyres Better Than Men. / 5 Ways Your Car Tyres Will Help You Save On Petrol During This Recession. / Facts About Car Tyres You Must Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by scentmarlc(m): 5:36am On Jul 04, 2015

Goodmorning Nairalanders.

I have some important info i wana bring to your notice about car tyres. Its quite important because our safety depends on it.

Ever wonder what the numerous codes written on tyres mean? This codes helps buy the right tyre. Also it can save your lives. Yes! Save your life, literally. Now this what i mean, those codes contains information about type of vehicle to be used with it, Car tyre expiration date, size of rim, load and speed ratings.
Using a wrong tyre can cause fatal accident.

Now these codes
can save your life.

Tires will have something similar like this printed on its sides. For
example P205/60R16 90H.
Now lets examine each letter and its meaning.

P mean its used be used with Passenger vehicle, T on the other
hand means Truck vehicles.
This followed by a three digit number
215 in these case means the width of the tyre. 215 mm
millimetres.

Then the two digit number which stands for the Aspect Ratio. It
is the ratio of the height of the tire’s cross-section to its width.
The number 60 means the height is equal to 60% of the width of
the tire.

Next is the R which stands for Radial. This means the layers run
radially across the tire.

The next two digit number stand for the Wheel diameter. It is
the size of the wheel(rim) to be used with it.

Next two digits is the load index. Load Index shows the
maximum load that the tire can support when inflated properly.
You can also find the maximum load on the tire sidewall in both
LBS pounds and KG kilograms.

Finally the last letter is the Speed Rating, Which is the maximum
speed the tyre can run. this letter s a code. In this case H stands
for 210KMPH
Other speed rating codes and their meaning
M = 130 kmph
N =140 kmph = Spare Tires
P = 150 kmph
Q = 160 kmph = Winter Tires
R = 170 kmph = Truck Tires
S = 180 kmph = Cars and Minivans
T = 190 kmph = Cars and Minivans
U = 200 kmph = Sport Performance Cars
V = 240 kmph = High Performance Cars
W = 270 kmph = Ultra High-Performance Cars
Y = 300 kmph = Ultra High-Performance Cars

Once again this information can save your l ife, always buy the
right tyre.
1 2

Source: www.wheelsng.com/2015/06/car-tyre-codes-what-does-it-mean/2/

Cc: lalasticala

4 Likes

Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 04, 2015
FTC
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by scentmarlc(m): 3:04pm On Jul 04, 2015
U wan bench madam introvert abii gringrin
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by scentmarlc(m): 3:41pm On Jul 04, 2015
All set, oya abeg oga lalasticala help us zoom am to FP. Thank you sir cheesy
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by aryzgreat: 5:22pm On Jul 04, 2015
What about expiry date? How do u know
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by PehaKaso: 5:42pm On Jul 04, 2015
Timely..........
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by geemeshin(m): 6:07pm On Jul 04, 2015
Useful Info, thanks!
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by ademoladeji(m): 6:24pm On Jul 04, 2015
Lalasticlala won't take it to FP coz it's not politics...

Scentmarlc, thanks for the info...

Buh then, what about the expiring date?
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by YoungHustler: 6:59pm On Jul 04, 2015
Thanks for these life saving information
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by scentmarlc(m): 7:57pm On Jul 04, 2015
ademoladeji:
Lalasticlala won't take it to FP coz it's not politics...

Scentmarlc, thanks for the info...

Buh then, what about the expiring date?

Hehehhhe gringrin

My oga no too bad like dat nah....
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by scentmarlc(m): 7:58pm On Jul 04, 2015
YoungHustler:
Thanks for these life saving information

Bless you sir.....
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by scentmarlc(m): 7:59pm On Jul 04, 2015
geemeshin:
Useful Info, thanks!

Baba wa gbayii.
Uwc bozz

1 Like

Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by DICKtator: 8:02pm On Jul 04, 2015
grin grin grin grin
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by ITbomb(m): 8:04pm On Jul 04, 2015
All those booking space on the other thread, see una life?

On topic, I don't see this clearly on tires and it is not applicable for those of us that uses the one inch tubeless
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by Osama10(m): 8:08pm On Jul 04, 2015
cool
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jul 04, 2015
my.notjustok.com/track/22684/
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by bastien: 8:09pm On Jul 04, 2015
Following cheesy
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by aryzgreat: 8:14pm On Jul 04, 2015
Traffic redirected to here
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by geemeshin(m): 8:15pm On Jul 04, 2015
scentmarlc:

Baba wa gbayii.

Uwc bozz

Thanks; I didn't get the meaning of the vernacular part though
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by oliidell(m): 8:16pm On Jul 04, 2015
scentmarlc:

Wat of the expiry date and the right pressure?
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by eluquenson(m): 8:16pm On Jul 04, 2015
Thank you @Op
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by Jeromejnr(m): 8:18pm On Jul 04, 2015
Speed rating code for my tyre is U wink
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by AKMoney1(m): 8:21pm On Jul 04, 2015
Educative, I wish all drivers know all these especially those that ply long distances. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by kenedy175(m): 8:25pm On Jul 04, 2015
all those buying second hand tires should be careful too. nice one OP
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by AKMoney1(m): 8:25pm On Jul 04, 2015
tunnamania11:
FTC

Is that a football club? undecided
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by papaejima1: 8:27pm On Jul 04, 2015
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by Champele(m): 8:28pm On Jul 04, 2015
Thanks @op for this info.I already saved this page on phone incase i need to buy tire tomorrow.How do one know the expiring date?.
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by omisakint: 8:29pm On Jul 04, 2015
Thanks.. My car on the way... More hard work
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by professore(m): 8:29pm On Jul 04, 2015
This is informative

1 Like

Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by ijustdey: 8:51pm On Jul 04, 2015
very informative
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by cleric(m): 8:51pm On Jul 04, 2015
cheesy
Re: Important Info To Know About Your Car Tyres by AreaFada2: 8:52pm On Jul 04, 2015
Cool info

(1) (2) (Reply)

When Your Battery Fuse Is Blown: Symptoms And Fixes / Help me, my corolla is disturbing me. / Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.