Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,917 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time (32625 Views)

10 Players Of Nigeria Origin You Never Know; Number 3&5 Will Shock You / Top 20 Richest Football Players Of 2015 / Super Eagles Rated The 12th Best Team In Africa By FIFA Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by arsetalks(m): 2:53pm On Jul 04, 2015
arabaribiti:
I would prefer you revome mikel and put finidi george he also achieve more like keshi and kanu we all know what he did in ajax and fernebache and I will prefer a goal keeper on that list thanks
What about with Betis and Real Mallorca?

I hate it when kids analysis football. The OP just annoyed me. What the f*ck Mikel did? He achieved as much as Hleb achieved at Barca. Bench warming and collecting medals.
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by emperorchedda(m): 2:54pm On Jul 04, 2015
Tolexander:

Kanu Nwakwo;

1 World Junior championship, Japan 1993
1 Olympic Gold medalist, Atlanta 1996 (C)
1 African nations cup silver medalist
1 UEFA Champions league with Ajax F.C
1 UEFA cup with Internationale Milan
3 English FA cups with Arsenal and Portsmouth
3 Eredivisie title with Ajax fc Holand
1 UEFA Super Cup with Ajax
1 Intercontinental cup with Ajax
2 Premiership title with Arsenal
1 FA Community Shield with Arsenal
2 African Footballer of the year
2 BBC African Footballer of the year.
1 Nigeria Premier League with Nwanyawu Nationale.

Who is now the boss?

Chelsea
Premier League (2): 2009–10, 2014–15

FA Cup (4): 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2011–12

League Cup (2): 2006–07, 2014-15

FA Community Shield (1): 2009

UEFA Champions League (1): 2011–12

UEFA Europa League (1): 2012–13

Nigeria
Africa Cup of Nations (1): 2013

U-20 World Cup Silver football 2005

African Young Player of the Year: 2005, 2006

Chelsea Young Player of the Year: 2007, 2008
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by arsetalks(m): 2:54pm On Jul 04, 2015
RonJeremy:
Mikel Obi.... Deliberate provocation by the writer of the article. Mikel is not even in the Nigerian top 900 footballers of all time.
Tell am.
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by dharmieee(m): 2:54pm On Jul 04, 2015
Where is Muda lawal,Segun odegbami, Uche okexhuwu

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by Franchise21(m): 2:58pm On Jul 04, 2015
kenex4ever:
so because chicharito does not start for man U. or Madrid then he is not good?
Or because higuain could not start for Madrid he is not good?
If na so y Moses when una say him better pass mikel no fit make ordinary chelsea bench?
There r many great players dat came to chelsea but could not make it eg ballack, chevchenkho, deco, caudrado (don't mind my spellings) etc, but mikel has been there and has played under each of those managers albeit mostly as substitute.
Bro, all M trying to outlay to u z dat Mikel z just being over-rated. After 9 yrs in d Chelsea team, he can't hold down a starting spot
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by arsetalks(m): 2:58pm On Jul 04, 2015
dayojags10:
Mikel came through during under 20 World Cup, not under 17. Mikel don old that time ooh
Na mate, he played under 17 as well. They all graduated to under 20. Our bad coaches killed the bulk of those players. He was part of the 2003 set. I think they lost in the group stage through the tossing of coin. Can't remember correctly.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by Franchise21(m): 3:00pm On Jul 04, 2015
stan241:
That's what these guys that support Mikel don't seem to understand, Mikel to me is way overrated that is even if he is rated, Essien, Matic, Ramires, have all at one point or another benched him and under different managers too, if its champions league heck even Malouda has won it before, and as per the Nations cup shey Ahmed Musa and Ideye sef don win am
U seem to grab my point. After 9yrs in Chelsea, he failed to grab a starting spot. N someone z here placing him in most top 5 Nigeria's great. SMH
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by arsetalks(m): 3:01pm On Jul 04, 2015
ikemencheta:
Mikel should be there and will always be there. The most decorated Nigerian player. Has won 2 premier leagues, 4 FA cups, 2 league cups, 1 community shiled, 1 champions league, 1 europa league, 1 nations cup,

Individual honours
U-20 world cup silver football 2005
African young player of the yr, 2005,2006
Chelsea young player of the yr: 2007,2008
By being on the bench or actually playing? How do you explain Finidi not being on the list? Champions league winner, UEFA cup winner, 10 top best player in the world in 1997 or there about.

You lot started watching football when Abramovich bought Chelsea I suppose. Even Chelsea fans who have been watching football for long won't put Mikel in top 30.
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by arsetalks(m): 3:07pm On Jul 04, 2015
fF01:
dis OP sef. Be like en take GEGEMU b4 posting dis sh!t. Mikel Obi wey me i know na under-20 en play 4 2005 o! I no knw weda na tell dem tell u d story wey u go put u-17. Den Rashedi yekini na 37 goals en score 4 nigeria o! Dnt mislead pipu hia biko.
Mikel play 2003 just after Opabunmi and co set. He Ogbuke, Van whatever the keeper, I think their coach was Keshi or Abdulahi Tanko ( is that is name? He had tribal marks ).

The list I rubbish though
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by kenir(m): 3:14pm On Jul 04, 2015
and Mikel made the list grin the OP la fanet de chelsea grin
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by arsetalks(m): 3:18pm On Jul 04, 2015
kenex4ever:
enyeama can never b ahead of mikel for anything.
B4 enyeama can make d list then any of these would have made it: d bull, amuneke, sunday Olise, finidi George, tijani b, t balogun, siasia, peter ruffai, etc.
Why mikel stands out is because he is d most decorated of all. Dat should mean something to u. Enyeama is good but cannot make Chelsea team at any time. On a very good day, if mikel is 100% fit like dat u20 final and ucl semi final against fcb, he makes d likes of messi motionless
How many years did Mikel play regularly for Chelsea? Be honest with yourself? In the about 7 years in Chelsea, he played regular in his second and third season only. Did he play ever since?

Compared to Finidi, one of the 10 best players in 1997 or 96, champions league winner with Ajax, won the league with them many times, played in champions league final losing 1-0 before then winning it? And won UEFA cup, had double digits in 5 seasons for Betis, was hero worshipped by Mallorca.

I am as good as Mikel just that I have an idiiot for an agent.
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by arsetalks(m): 3:22pm On Jul 04, 2015
emperorchedda:
Dumbo

Mikel has an African Cup of Nations, Kanu doesn't.

That's where Mikel has the edge over Kanu
Kanu has 5th best in the world, second best under 17, Olympic gold, 2 Africa best player award. Can Mikel bet that?
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by arsetalks(m): 3:24pm On Jul 04, 2015
stan241:
Roger Milla, Benny Mccarthy
Beni kini? I will even choose Radebe ahead of him if I must choose a South African. No Yeboah on the list? Bullpoo.

No Titi Camera? No Ibrahim Bakayoko?
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by willyo(m): 3:32pm On Jul 04, 2015
Mikel should had been second after Nwankwo Kanu. Buh I don't see reasons why Okocha made that list. He's the flop of all times.
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by arsetalks(m): 3:32pm On Jul 04, 2015
stan241:
Was tempted to put in Steven Appiah, Andre Arendse of south Africa, patrick Mboma, Samuel Eto, Mustapha Hadji, Hossom Hassan of Egypt, Peter Rufai, Didier Drogba, El Hadj Diouf, Seydou Keita, Freddie Kanoute, Toure Brothers, Geremi Njitap.....
What exactly did Hadji do? Score bicycle kick against Norway at the world cup in 98? What else?

Steven Appiah? What did he achieve? I willl pick Edward Ansah with him if I must pick a Ghanian that is just above Appiah. No Yeboah and Appiah made the list? Tell a Leeds United fan that. I will even pick Mohammed Gago ahead of Appiah.

I am an Arsenal fan and I won't put kolo Toure in my list. Didn't Mbomba play with Finidi at Mallorca? Finidi took the sunshine.
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by arsetalks(m): 3:39pm On Jul 04, 2015
Icon4s:

He is AFCON Winner,AYC winner, WYC silver medalist, 2nd best player @ WYC jst behind Messi, UEFA Champions League, Europa League, English FA Cup, English Premiership, Carling/CapitalOne Cup, Community Shield, also featured in 2014 FIFA WC.
compared to Kanu? Africa Player of the year 96 and 99, 5th best player in the world 96, Olympic gold, 3 bronzen afcon medals and one silver, UEFA champions league, 2 EPL titles, 2 FA cup titles, second UEFA champions league, UEFA cup winner, first ever golden scorer, FIFA best living 100 footballers, first player to score hattrick against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, ask Mikel to beat that.

There was football before 2005 mate.
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by arsetalks(m): 3:46pm On Jul 04, 2015
emperorchedda:
I see some people now compare U17 medal with the number football competition in Africa, I laugh.

Regardless of this, a player as decorated as John Obi Mikel is qualified to be in the top 5 greatest of any country, if not for anything for his individual accolades
I see how you ignore the fact that Kanu was once 5th best in the world. Mikel never ever made the nominee ( a list of (30). You ridicule Kanu's Olympic gold as well?
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by arsetalks(m): 3:49pm On Jul 04, 2015
Sagamite:

Nigerians and their stewpid ratings.

What metrics did this author use to come up with this junk?

People just pull opinions from their arsse and then say "Top", "Best", "Most" etc without explaining or it being obvious what their methodology was.

What the fck did Kanu do at National team or club level to be the most rated?

Nonsense!
So you criticised Kanu's inclusion and ignore that of Mikel? And what f*ck the Kanu did at national team level?

Won African best for Nigeria, killed Brazil for Nigeria, was second highest goal scorer behind Oruma at Japan 1993, first ever golden goal? Helped Nigeria to 3 bronze medals and 1 silver at Afcon. Not enough?

What did Mikel do? Shall we do it?
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by arsetalks(m): 3:56pm On Jul 04, 2015
Okeikpu:
which goals e dey bang Yekini is just an opportunist.... Yekini dat doesn't know wht's offside. Most of the goals he scored ws by mistake.....
This is what tribalism has eaten you up like cancer. Seek help before too late.
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by emperorchedda(m): 4:03pm On Jul 04, 2015
stan241:
Was tempted to put in Steven Appiah, Andre Arendse of south Africa, patrick Mboma, Samuel Eto, Mustapha Hadji, Hossom Hassan of Egypt, Peter Rufai, Didier Drogba, El Hadj Diouf, Seydou Keita, Freddie Kanoute, Toure Brothers, Geremi Njitap.....
you forgot George Weah and Yeboah
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by Alexander001(m): 4:08pm On Jul 04, 2015
majamajic:
The list is ok cool

for mikel it was 2005 under 20 not under 17, messi was the tournament's best player, mikel was second, taye taiwo third.
bros, na under 17
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by stan241(m): 4:09pm On Jul 04, 2015
arsetalks:
What exactly did Hadji do? Score bicycle kick against Norway at the world cup in 98? What else?

Steven Appiah? What did he achieve? I willl pick Edward Ansah with him if I must pick a Ghanian that is just above Appiah. No Yeboah and Appiah made the list? Tell a Leeds United fan that. I will even pick Mohammed Gago ahead of Appiah.

I am an Arsenal fan and I won't put kolo Toure in my list. Didn't Mbomba play with Finidi at Mallorca? Finidi took the sunshine.
Easy dude, just naming some famous/talented African players from the African continent not necessarily those who "achieved" something......and also a gooner but have to admit Kolo in his prime for us especially in the invisibles season was an absolute rock alongside Sol Campbell
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by OpraMenu(m): 4:11pm On Jul 04, 2015
Obviously OP started watching football from 1994.
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by stan241(m): 4:12pm On Jul 04, 2015
Franchise21:
U seem to grab my point. After 9yrs in Chelsea, he failed to grab a starting spot. N someone z here placing him in most top 5 Nigeria's great. SMH
@op must have started watching football after that under 20 championship
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by histemple: 4:12pm On Jul 04, 2015
I just lack words to describe the OP for this list especially Mikel's inclusion. I am beginning to think it was a calculated provocation.
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by Sagamite(m): 4:12pm On Jul 04, 2015
arsetalks:
So you criticised Kanu's inclusion and ignore that of Mikel? And what f*ck the Kanu did at national team level?

Won African best for Nigeria, killed Brazil for Nigeria, was second highest goal scorer behind Oruma at Japan 1993, first ever golden goal? Helped Nigeria to 3 bronze medals and 1 silver at Afcon. Not enough?

What did Mikel do? Shall we do it?

What nonsense!

I already said the whole list is rubbish, I just used Kanu to exemplify it.

So why are you moronically asking me to defend Mikel?

Secondly how are the moronic "Won African best for Nigeria, killed Brazil for Nigeria, was second highest goal scorer behind Oruma at Japan 1993, first ever golden goal" relevant to him being the best?

Another of the moronic "pick from your arsse" selective methodology I was alluding to?

Let me join you in such moronicity:

Ifeanyi Udeze is Nigeria's best ever fullback because he reached the ANC final for Nigeria twice, he passed the ball to Okocha 49 times, he played in 3 different countries and he played in the inaugural UEFA-CAF Meridian Cup.

Can you see how "fine" the Nigerian ratings style is now?

Ediot is telling me someone is the greatest because he scored the first ever golden goal.

Nigerian are so reetarded it is shocking.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by stan241(m): 4:13pm On Jul 04, 2015
emperorchedda:
you forgot George Weah and Yeboah
Oh yea sorry jare, them too plenty to remember at once
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by Sagamite(m): 4:15pm On Jul 04, 2015
Okeikpu:
which goals e dey bang Yekini is just an opportunist.... Yekini dat doesn't know wht's offside. Most of the goals he scored ws by mistake.....

What moronic stupidity.

Yekini was an opportunist?

Did you even ever watch him play?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by majamajic(m): 4:16pm On Jul 04, 2015
Alexander001:
bros, na under 17

nigeria did not attend 2005 under 17 world cup, Africa was represented by Gambia, cotedvire and ghana.
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by Tolexander: 4:21pm On Jul 04, 2015
emperorchedda:

Chelsea
Premier League (2): 2009–10, 2014–15

FA Cup (4): 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2011–12

League Cup (2): 2006–07, 2014-15

FA Community Shield (1): 2009

UEFA Champions League (1): 2011–12

UEFA Europa League (1): 2012–13

Nigeria
Africa Cup of Nations (1): 2013

U-20 World Cup Silver football 2005

African Young Player of the Year: 2005, 2006

Chelsea Young Player of the Year: 2007, 2008
who is the boss?
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by Okeikpu(m): 4:31pm On Jul 04, 2015
Sagamite:

What moronic stupidity.

Yekini was an opportunist?

Did you even ever watch him play?
Too bad u don't know me...... Never mind anyway undecided why d insult?
Re: Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 04, 2015
Mikel??

Do you live in Akwa Ibom State? Do you relish the desire to own your own business with little start up capital and promising returns in investment? Do you hope to look into the mirror each morning and know you are talking to the boss? Are you enterprising?/Would you love to be? Do you have an aptitude for thinking out of the box? Then call or add me up on whatsapp 08085188110. You will be glad you did

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Otedola Presents $50,000 Cheque To Christian Chukwu, Former Super Eagles Coach / Lebron James' Son, Bronny Suffered A Cardiac Arrest During A Basketball Workout / Osimhen & 4 Other Nigerians That Have Won The African Player Of The Year Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.