Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? (53292 Views)

HELP! Is There Any University That Offers Aeronautical Engineering In Nigeria? / First Name And Surname,whats The Difference? / Name Or Surname,which comes first??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by fako1(m): 12:59pm On Jul 04, 2015
I grew up with the mentality that the usual order of names is "First name Middle name Last name". The understanding then was that the First name is usually the surname, the middle is usually one's personal name which known to people and also on the birth certificate while the last name is the "other" name one bear. The order later changed to "last, first middle" with the
last and first names separated by a comma, and items are alphabetized by the last name.

Fast forward to present days! Lately, Most official forms i come across are with the order of "First name Last name".

Few weeks back, i went to a company i formally worked with (4years back) as an I.T student at ikeja, Lagos. i had an appointment with my former boss. On entering the reception room, met "sister" yemi the company secretary on her desk and exchanged pleasantries. I told her my reasons for the visit and she gave me visitor's note to fill. She wanted to put me through for some people's ignorance leads to mistake. She said "Please, your first name first and your last name follows". I then wrote down my surname as the first name and my personal name as the last name. With a smile on her face; she said "Take note from now, Gbenga is your name, it should be your first name and your surname is your last name". Wasnt even ready for that argument coz na make my former boss reason me well dey my mind. Got home later to start pondering and wondering over the "name" issue.

Infact! I had to go google but information there states different countries with their style.
In some Western countries, the surname or family name ("last name"wink is placed after the personal or given name ("first name"wink.

My people! Abeg which one Nigeria adopt? First name as surname or Last name as surname
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 04, 2015
First name is Surname.... Last name is your own name
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by Shortyy(f): 1:02pm On Jul 04, 2015
your surname is the first, then others follow. but in US, Your name before surname.
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by steppin: 1:04pm On Jul 04, 2015
fako1:
I grew up with the mentality that the usual order of names is "First name Middle name Last name". The understanding then was that the First name is usually the surname, the middle is usually one's personal name which known to people and also on the birth certificate while the last name is the "other" name one bear. The order later changed to "last, first middle" with the
last and first names separated by a comma, and items are alphabetized by the last name.

Fast forward to present days! Lately, Most official forms i come across are with the order of "First name Last name".

Few weeks back, i went to a company i formally worked with (4years back) as an I.T student at ikeja, Lagos. i had an appointment with my former boss. On entering the reception room, met "sister" yemi the company secretary on her desk and exchanged pleasantries. I told her my reasons for the visit and she gave me visitor's note to fill. She wanted to put me through for some people's ignorance leads to mistake. She said "Please, your first name first and your last name follows". I then wrote down my surname as the first name and my personal name as the last name. With a smile on her face; she said "Take note from now, Gbenga is your name, it should be your first name and your surname is your last name". Wasnt even ready for that argument coz na make my former boss reason me well dey my mind. Got home later to start pondering and wondering over the "name" issue.

Infact! I had to go google but information there states different countries with their style.
In some Western countries, the surname or family name ("last name"wink is placed after the personal or given name ("first name"wink.

My people! Abeg which one Nigeria adopt? First name as surname or Last name as surname
Surname first, followed by first name and then middle name.
It's like that in most forms by banks, companies etc.
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by fako1(m): 1:07pm On Jul 04, 2015
steppin:

Surname first, followed by first name and then middle name.
It's like that in most forms by banks, companies etc.

Have you not come across forms that indicates just "first name last name". Infact some job interviews i have come across comes in that name order. Based on research, the secretary was right abt your last name being the surname bt most countries dont adopt diz style.

1 Like

Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by VickJames(m): 2:13pm On Jul 04, 2015
Correction sir,
Most applications in Nigeria
Your first name is your personal name while your last name is your surname.

8 Likes

Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by fleps(m): 4:59pm On Feb 17, 2016
Your first name is your personal name while your Last Name is your Surname. When you're filling forms or on your CV and your surname comes first, it must be separated by a comma.
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by Bayonle10: 9:32pm On May 21, 2016
Bhb
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by lexxyrule(m): 6:38am On Sep 28, 2016
US format, last name is your surname
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by shams040(m): 7:09am On Sep 28, 2016
So for Nigeria a we saying d first name is d surname or d last name
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by ibietela2(m): 8:09am On Jan 03, 2017
lexxyrule:
US format, last name is your surname

UK format nko
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by Chimarto: 8:42am On Jan 03, 2017
For me is Surname, First Name and Middle Name to avoid confusion. I don't buy into First name and Last Name style.
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by jetabs: 9:58am On Jan 03, 2017
HELP....wat if one of one's certificates have a middle name, first name, surname format while others have first name, middle name and surname format...can it raise arguments?
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by CaptEColeJnr: 2:28pm On Jan 03, 2017
ibietela2:

UK format nko
Don't mind dem... in the entire western world.. it's First name (Personal name) then Last name (Surname)...

the idea of Surname first is an Eastern culture.. like in China, Korea etc
for example... Kim Jong-Un
Kim is the surname
Jong-Un is the first name.

in western world..
Barack Obama
Barack is the first name
Obama is the surname

Since Nigeria was colonized by the British.. we simply follow their policy.

C'est compri?

4 Likes

Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by ibietela2(m): 3:57pm On Jan 03, 2017
CaptEColeJnr:
Don't mind dem... in the entire western world.. it's First name (Personal name) then Last name (Surname)...

the idea of Surname first is an Eastern culture.. like in China, Korea etc
for example... Kim Jong-Un
Kim is the surname
Jong-Un is the first name.

in western world..
Barack Obama
Barack is the first name
Obama is the surname

Since Nigeria was colonized by the British.. we simply follow their policy.

C'est compri?

So which is the UK policy?

First Name (my birth name) Middle name {my father's name) Surname (my grandfather's name)?

Which comes first when using all three?
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by lexxyrule(m): 5:16am On Jan 06, 2017
ibietela2:

UK format nko

Not sure
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by ibietela2(m): 10:48pm On Feb 14, 2017
lexxyrule:

Not sure

Ok
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by topstar80(m): 1:50am On Feb 15, 2017
Your surname is your last name!

1 Like

Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by piamily(f): 7:17pm On Jun 18, 2018
Shortyy:
your surname is the first, then others follow. but in US, Your name before surname.
nothing like in usa and in Naija..english na anglish..so if the usa says its ur name..then it is..
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by pawpzman: 11:14am On Jul 12, 2018
piamily:

nothing like in usa and in Naija..english na anglish..so if the usa says its ur name..then it is..

I have two o level sittings.
My surname is "Paul" my first name is "Peter" no middle name.
But in my O level results of different sittings :
2008 result bears "Paul Peter" and
2009 result from same school bears "Peter Paul" and subsequently any other of my certificates obtained bears "Paul Peter"
Is this going to be a form of problem to me in future? If yes how do I go about it?

N/B, like I said earlier my ND, HND, Nysc certificates bears PAUL PETER only my 2009 o level result bears "Peter Paul" and that has not been a problem to me during academic screening and all.

I'm only asking to know if it might be a problem in the case of employment.

Also while filing a CV which of the O levels should I fill since I have two sittings, is it the later(2009) or the former (2008)? The later(2009) is the best but had English D7 but made Credit in the former (2008) result.
Help a brother... Please it's urgent
Re: HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? by charlesedu777: 4:20am On Sep 17, 2022
First name surname

(1) (Reply)

5 Secondary School Students Promise Not To Get Pregnant Till They Graduate. PICS / Students Of Abdu Gusau Polytechnic Fight Over "Insult On Prophet Muhammad" / Headmistress Of Success, Warri Schoolgirl Confirms Payment Of Her School Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.