Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,990 members, 7,799,403 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:31 PM

Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before (8172 Views)

The Uselessness Of African Voodoo - Ayodele / Money Orisha ~ Money Charm ~ Money Spells / Must Read: Olodumare (GOD) In Yoruba Ifa And Orisha Is Monotheistic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by Mbeki: 5:15pm On Jul 04, 2015
Photographer James C. Lewis went out on a creative limb to re-imagine ancient African Yoruba dieties- the Orisha, using striking models, expert photography, and inventive photo editing techniques. While the true essence of the Orisha is likely poorly understood by most people in the modern world in comparison to their ancient and rich roots in African culture, Lewis creates a stunning visual world that is sure to spark the imagination.

As a culture we are quite use to the artistic treatment of religious, spiritual, and mythical entities from Greek ancestral lore, various world religions, and other cultural heroes, yet rarely is the fascinating world of the Orisha the topic of discussion. These images are gorgeous, shocking, and of course an artists interpretation, but hopefully they get your wheels turning in regards to the power, complexity, and richness of Yoruba spiritual symbology and life:

http://www.ewao.com/a/1-photographer-creates-stunning-images-of-african-orisha-deities-youve-never-heard-of-before

Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jul 04, 2015
grin

1 Like

Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by Demmzy15(m): 5:19pm On Jul 04, 2015
grin
Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by Rilwayne001: 5:37pm On Jul 04, 2015
Point of correction - Yemoja a.k.a mamiwater a.k.a mermaid a.k.a mother of all fishes, is half fish half woman unlike the pics the OP used in designating her above. .

1 Like

Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by johnydon22(m): 5:46pm On Jul 04, 2015
Rilwayne001:
Point of correction - Yemoja a.k.a mamiwater a.k.a mermaid a.k.a mother of all fishes, is half fish half woman unlike the pics the OP used in designating her above. .
Why not lift her dress to check if she has fish tails below undecided

Op continue .... make i grab chair
Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by Rilwayne001: 5:51pm On Jul 04, 2015
johnydon22:
Why not lift her dress to check if she has fish tails below undecided Op continue .... make i grab chair
Lol. Of course I would, if I had the chance.

1 Like

Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by johnydon22(m): 5:53pm On Jul 04, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Lol. Of course I would, if I had the chance.
You never talk wetin you go wan find there grin

1 Like

Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by Rilwayne001: 6:06pm On Jul 04, 2015
johnydon22:
You never talk wetin you go wan find there grin[/b]

Of course the fish scales of the lower part of her body...nothing else. I know you having that dirty mind grin grin grin LWKM

1 Like

Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by johnydon22(m): 6:07pm On Jul 04, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Of course the fish scales of the lower part of her body...nothing else. I know you having that dirty mind grin grin grin LWKM
Onye oshi, you wan look under a woman skirt na fish tail you say you deh find there.... Chai cheesy

1 Like

Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by Rilwayne001: 6:09pm On Jul 04, 2015
johnydon22:

Onye oshi, you wan look under a woman skirt na fish tail you say you deh find there.... Chai cheesy

grin grin
Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by Mbeki: 6:19pm On Jul 15, 2015
More picss

Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by Mbeki: 6:19pm On Jul 15, 2015

Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by Mbeki: 6:20pm On Jul 15, 2015
stunning

1 Like

Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by Mbeki: 6:21pm On Jul 15, 2015
others

Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by Mbeki: 10:21am On Jul 18, 2015
and the list goes on and on!
Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by Nobody: 9:23am On Aug 09, 2015
Love. Love. Love.
The photos are beautiful. kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by Lanceslot(m): 10:28am On Aug 09, 2015
Beautiful.

1 Like

Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by aenero(m): 11:17am On Aug 09, 2015
Irrespective of how this silly christians and muslims try to paint my African heritage and value Black... I still love it,God bless Nigeria and God bless Africa... We will get there

1 Like

Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by MorningSTARR: 12:07pm On Aug 09, 2015
Wow!!! So beautiful, African mythology is as rich as any other ancient myths. Egypt, Persia, Greece, Asia etc still appreciate their ancient landmarks, they say our own is fetish but they uphold their own. This is a job well done. The characters, the effects, the photography is a work of art, so aesthetic. I love this
Re: Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before by judeodion(m): 9:43pm On Aug 09, 2015
These are models na. Their gods dey package die. Even they need physician. LOL. Are these the uncommon gods or these are just their children? I need clarification. Please tell me... Can you worship any of these boys or girls?

(1) (Reply)

Why Jesus Christ Actually Came To The Earth / Rccg And Mfm: What Are Their Beliefs / Dresscode? / The Atheist's Dilemma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.