Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,216 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. (2970 Views)

Exposing Hardmirror. A Tale Of Two Mirrors / Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath / Anita Oyakhilome Opens Up After Divorce Tale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by plaetton: 4:27pm On Jul 05, 2015
All over Europe, USA, Canada, Australia , and the rest of the civilized world, old churches are closing , being sold, demolished and being converted to others uses at an alarming rate.
And the funny thing is that no one is complaining.

http://www.businessinsider.com/churches-in-england-are-being-converted-to-bars-photos-2014-3

" At one church, the only thing being worshipped is beer -- at another, gleaming cars are on sale. Increasingly, it seems, a different kind of conversion is taking place at Britain's churches.

Thanks to a steady decline in religion and the high costs of maintaining these historic buildings, a rising number of churches are being given new lives that may have horrified their founders.

Behind the imposing red-brick facade of one Presbyterian church in north London's upmarket Muswell Hill district, throbbing pop music and barrels of Guinness are the first clues that there's a new congregation.

The soaring Gothic arches remain but instead of an altar there's a huge bar, while tables, stools and slot-machines stand in place of the pews. Built in 1902, the church's beautiful exterior remains unchanged. Inside, it's an Irish pub.

"If it was a church, there would be only two or three people here -- but on Fridays and Saturdays, it's packed," said John Earl, a construction worker, as he nursed a pint.

"It is weird," he admitted. "I feel I kind of have to respect it. I don't mind being drunk here, but I don't want people carving the pillars."

At another table, 33-year-old Yamini pronounced the pub "beautiful".

"It has a different look from the other pubs," she said as she sipped red wine with a friend. "And it's being used instead of being abandoned."

Religious worship has been declining in Britain for years, and church authorities are increasingly forced to rethink the management of their huge -- and very expensive -- estates.

Policy varies between denominations. The dominant Church of England has strict rules on conversions meaning a building can only be sold if a committee approves its future use, after a lengthy process.

"Churches can't be used for sex shops, gambling premises and things like that," explained Jeremy Tipping, manager of the Church of England's Closed Churches Team.

But a wide range of other church occupants have been given the nod -- a climbing centre in the city of Manchester; a circus school in Bristol, where trapezes hang from the rafters; a supermarket, a library, a Sikh temple.

"A church always looks like a church, no matter what it's used for," Tipping told AFP.

"When it has a tower and a spire and arched windows, the association will always be with the Church of England -- so they are very, very sensitive that any future use must be one which is appropriate."

Bar at O'Neills pub, pictured in a former Presbyterian church in Muswell Hill, north London, on January 16, 2014

Irreligious conversions?
But tough regulations have not stopped conversions from throwing up a few embarrassments for the Church of England.

A display of "erotic" art at one church-turned-gallery prompted an outcry amongst some parishioners, Tipping recalled.

Nor is the Catholic Church immune to such predicaments -- its rules are less strict, leaving decisions about conversions up to local dioceses rather than a national committee.

In the northwestern city of Liverpool, St Peter's Church now houses a restaurant which hosts evenings celebrating that festival of all things ungodly, Halloween.

"It's deeply inappropriate and offensive for lots of Catholics," said Sophie Andreae, a committee vice-chairwoman at the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales.

The Church of England knocked down nearly 500 churches between 1969 and 2011, while more than 1,000 were de-consecrated and sold or rented out -- bringing in a much-needed £47 million.

The most common fate of ex-churches is to be transformed into homes -- sometimes luxury ones, such as the ultra-modern seven-bedroom London house, complete with swimming pool, which went on the market for £50 million last year.

Rachel Chudley, a 28-year-old interior designer, bought a flat in an east London church four years ago. It's far more modest than the £50 million mansion, but lacks none of the charm, with stone faces carved into the frames of her spectacular arched windows.

"We're right up at the top of the church, at the steeple," she said as she took AFP on a guided tour. "My family has joked and said, 'Rachel is closer to heaven now!'"

Chudley, an agnostic, admitted that she sometimes wonders if it's disrespectful to live in a church.

"Sometimes I feel a bit bad because I think, 'Oh God, am I being sacrilegious?" she laughed.

But she admits she has taken "some liberties" with the place. A sculpture of a pierced penis sits in pride of place in her living room.
Copyright (2014) AFP. All rights reserved.

" Empty and decaying churches have long been a problem for the Church of England. Between 2001 and 2011 the proportion of people in England and Wales describing themselves as Christian fell from 72% to 59%, with an especially steep decline outside London. At St Germans, the average Sunday congregation hovers between 12 and 20 people. Since 1980 the Church of England has closed 1,074 churches, 7% of the current total. Most have been converted into flats, particularly in London and other big cities. Some have become carpet warehouses, restaurants or rehearsal venues. One was converted into a circus school, another into part of a library for an Oxford college." -The Economist

1 Like

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by HungerBAD: 4:28pm On Jul 05, 2015
It is true that the White people brought Christianity to Africa, but i think it is high time they come back to Africa, to learn the tricks of how a Church should succeed.

They should specifically come to Nigeria.

They should go learn from Tunde Bakare, who even if all his predictions keep going South, his church keeps getting bigger. They should also, learn from Pastor Christopher Oyakhilome of Christ Embassy, even if he says Masturbation is the coolest thing since Kuli-Kuli was invented, and his wife left him due to his multiple affairs with women,including one with Roli(Bode George's wife) the NDLEA Director, his Church is still getting bigger everyday.

Fear will not let me mention Adeboye and Oyedepo here, as their followers will E-INJURE me here, but the bottom line is that, you guys should come to Nigeria and learn how to run a successful church and none of your doors will ever be closed again.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by plaetton: 4:33pm On Jul 05, 2015

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:40pm On Jul 05, 2015
A big mis interpretation on plaetton 's side . cool . I quickly understood the post but you are giving the whole thing a different meaning - your intentions are clear smiley wink

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by plaetton: 4:46pm On Jul 05, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:
A big mis interpretation on plaetton 's side . cool . I quickly understood the post but you are giving the whole thing a different meaning - your intentions are clear smiley wink

And the correct meaning of church closings are ... ?

Kindly Point them out , or , Just shut up and let me finish presenting my case.

1 Like

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by plaetton: 4:47pm On Jul 05, 2015
HungerBAD:
It is true that the White people brought Christianity to Africa, but i think it is high time they come back to Africa, to learn the tricks of how a Church should succeed.

They should specifically come to Nigeria.

They should go learn from Tunde Bakare, who even if all his predictions keep going South, his church keeps getting bigger. They should also, learn from Pastor Christopher Oyakhilome of Christ Embassy, even if he says Masturbation is the coolest thing since Kuli-Kuli was invented, and his wife left him due to his multiple affairs with women,including one with Roli(Bode George's wife) the NDLEA Director, his Church is still getting bigger everyday.

Fear will not let me mention Adeboye and Oyedepo here, as their followers will E-INJURE me here, but the bottom line is that, you guys should come to Nigeria and learn how to run a successful church and none of your doors will ever be closed again.
Lol.
You spoke my mind in advance. I will get to that.

2 Likes

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:56pm On Jul 05, 2015
plaetton:

And the correct meaning of church closings are ... ?

Kindly Point them out , or , Just shut up and let me finish presenting my case.

over 80 fellowship centers DELSU were reduced to 4 ...

Anyone can read meaning to that

1 Like

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by plaetton: 5:07pm On Jul 05, 2015
As we can all witness, in the civilized world, the very people that sold Christianity to Africa no longer see any use for it. As a social engineering program, Christianity has run it's full course, and there is little utility left in it for the people of Europe, unless and if necessary, to keep puppeteering the primitive animist peoples of Africa.

All over Europe and America, churches are being converted and reused for factories, warehouses, libraries, research centres, community centres, pubs, museums, and even houses and condominiums. It has become a sort of recycling program where a redundant asset is reused for productive purposes for the overall benefit of the society.

Now, other hand , across the oceans and deserts to subsahara Africa, the opposite trend seems to be the norm.
It is like two alternate worlds co-existing at the same time.

In Nigerian, for example, Africa's most populous and most influential nation, factories and warehouses, libraries, hotels, homes, etc, once the industrial and economic backbones of this poor nation, have long been , and are still daily being converted and remodelled to churches and places of worship.
In Nigeria, churches have nearly taken up all the industrial spaces and warehouses in urban centres.
A businessman, a job creator, looking for a factory or warehouse in the city of Lagos will always be humiliated by church organisations who will outbid him by far in any real estate transaction.

What accounts for this gross and obvious dichotomy between the worlds ?

I mean, what have Africans found in churches that the Europeans seem to have missed or are missing ?

What secret divine knowledge or wisdom or riches did we inherit that the avante guarde Europeans are hopelessly oblivious to ?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by plaetton: 5:11pm On Jul 05, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

over 80 fellowship centers DELSU were reduced to 4 ...

Anyone can read meaning to that

LOL.

Half-thinker.

What is DELSU ?

Is DELSU not a University ?

Should you not be ashamed to even say that DELSU had 80 fellowships in the first place ?

Doesn't The irony of 80 fellowships in a University campus dovetail with the points I am trying to make here ?

4 Likes

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:30pm On Jul 05, 2015
plaetton:

LOL.

Half-thinker.

What is DELSU ?

Is DELSU not a University ?

Should you not be ashamed to even say that DELSU had 80 fellowships in the first place ?

Doesn't The irony of 80 fellowships in a University campus dovetail with the points I am trying to make here ?

Lolzz
exactly the expected response

But either way it doesn't change this :

1 Timothy 4:1

New International Version (NIV)

4 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.

Matthew 24:10-13

10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other,

11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people.

12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold

13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

2 Peter 3:4

4 They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.”

And plaetton feels that because the white man is doing it , why shouldn't we lipsrsealed undecided ... plaetton clearly feels inferior

... but fails to understand that they've grown and developed with Religion all this while

Mr. P, Religion is not the black man's problem but greed and selfishness of his leaders(bad leadership) is his problem

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by plaetton: 6:20pm On Jul 05, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Lolzz
exactly the expected response

But either way it doesn't change this :

1 Timothy 4:1

Matthew 24:10-13

2 Peter 3:4

And plaetton feels that because the white man is doing it , why shouldn't we lipsrsealed undecided ... plaetton clearly feels inferior

... but fails to understand that they've grown and developed with Religion all this while

Mr. P, Religion is not the black man's problem but greed and selfishness of his leaders(bad leadership) is his problem

My simple question is what do we see in churches today that your so called white man is not seeing?

Are we simply going in opposite directions in TIME?
And why.
Task your little brain, and try explaining the reasons.

1 Like

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:27pm On Jul 05, 2015
plaetton:

My simple question is what do we see in churches today that your so called white man is not seeing?

And why.

R1.Another one ... smh

Also explain why UAE , Russia and Italy haven't done same

And you brought up the white man not me

"Task your little brain, and try explaining the reasons. "

R2.plus it also confirmed the above passages . I gave you the answers before you asked me smiley

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 05, 2015
I notice Plaetton cannot answer questions on DNA and how it jives with the second law of thermodynamics... so he gravitates to what he knows best... mockery

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by plaetton: 7:16pm On Jul 05, 2015
davidylan:
I notice Plaetton cannot answer questions on DNA and how it jives with the second law of thermodynamics... so he gravitates to what he knows best... mockery

Davidylan, You make me feel ashamed sometimes.

And if by chance, I say that I know or cannot explain,.. That proves exactly what?
That you are the phd microbiologist, and I am not?
Is that really your only trump card?
The same researcher who is researching "who designed, rather than what processes?

Well, Btw, have you been able to figure out the" who designed "?
Could it be the toothfairy?
Could it be a rogue Spaghetti MeatBall from a nether universe?
Or,
An Uncaused Cause oxymoron from the nether regions of your limbic system?

We are waiting to read your revolutionary findings.

And davidylan, can You pls volunteer to answer why churches are closing in the developed world, and mushrooming in Nigeria at the same.
It is a real phenomenom that requires seriously discussion and answers.

8 Likes

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jul 05, 2015
plaetton:

And davidylan, can You pls volunteer to answer why churches are closing in the developed world, and mushrooming in Nigeria at the same.
It is a real phenomenom that requires seriously discussion and answers.

I'm not sure how this is a topic that requires serious discussion. I'm at a loss as to why it's even a topic. I'm sure you're just as worried about why ifa shrines do not exist in Sweden? That is the discussion I want to have... It requires serious discussion too.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by lepasharon(f): 10:18pm On Jul 05, 2015
Lool Americans are still very much religious oo
Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:33pm On Jul 05, 2015
davidylan:

I'm not sure how this is a topic that requires serious discussion. I'm at a loss as to why it's even a topic. I'm sure you're just as worried about why ifa shrines do not exist in Sweden? That is the discussion I want to have... It requires serious discussion too.

hahaha class ...

mr.p clearly shows he is inferior to the white man .
Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:46pm On Jul 05, 2015
plaetton:
As we can all witness, in the civilized world, the very people that sold Christianity to Africa no longer see any use for it. As a social engineering program, Christianity has run it's full course, and there is little utility left in it for the people of Europe, unless and if necessary, to keep puppeteering the primitive animist peoples of Africa.

All over Europe and America, churches are being converted and reused for factories, warehouses, libraries, research centres, community centres, pubs, museums, and even houses and condominiums. It has become a sort of recycling program where a redundant asset is reused for productive purposes for the overall benefit of the society.

Now, other hand , across the oceans and deserts to subsahara Africa, the opposite trend seems to be the norm.
It is like two alternate worlds co-existing at the same time.

In Nigerian, for example, Africa's most populous and most influential nation, factories and warehouses, libraries, hotels, homes, etc, once the industrial and economic backbones of this poor nation, have long been , and are still daily being converted and remodelled to churches and places of worship.
In Nigeria, churches have nearly taken up all the industrial spaces and warehouses in urban centres.
A businessman, a job creator, looking for a factory or warehouse in the city of Lagos will always be humiliated by church organisations who will outbid him by far in any real estate transaction.

What accounts for this gross and obvious dichotomy between the worlds ?

I mean, what have Africans found in churches that the Europeans seem to have missed or are missing ?

What secret divine knowledge or wisdom or riches did we inherit that the avante guarde Europeans are hopelessly oblivious to ?

^^^

Mr. P should stick to criticism please , I cannot deal with this abeg . Nigeria has a land area of close to 1 million km^sq and less than 0.02% of that being used for religious purposes is what is bothering plaetton .. lmao
Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by plaetton: 10:49pm On Jul 05, 2015
lepasharon:
Lool Americans are still very much religious oo
Yes. Certain regions of the US, notably the Southern parts. But it still remains the merchantilistic christianity that thrives there.
Statistically, religion is on a steady decline in the USA.
Church closings, demolitions and conversions are common throughout the USA.
Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by hahn(m): 10:56pm On Jul 05, 2015
Let me try. Some of the reasons why we seem to observe this sad phenomenom are:

1) Lack of quality health care: When a Nigerian falls sick or is involved in an accident, really what he needs is a "miracle" because we lack the necessary and up to date facilities to perform successful healing procedures

2) Lack of electricity: due to lack of electricity which makes it difficult to successfully plan your day you have to resort to praying for a miracle to be able to perform simple tasks such as ironing your clothes for a job interview or even drink cold water

3) Lack of quality education: Most Nigerians are victims of a very deplorable educational system. Waec students of 2015 will still answer 1980 questions and study from 1980 textbooks. Imagine people who believe that bathing in salt water can cure ebola. Their minds are unable to process new ideas or detect that they are being brainwashed

4) Religion promotes hypocricy: A christian, for instance, can go to the club, take drugs, sleep with different women, lie, cheat, show envy, burn up "suspects" without a fair trial and will still boldy go to church on Sunday and ask for forgiveness and then believe they are qualified for "heaven". That's hypocricy

5) Lack of proper security: Since one can't dial 911 and expect the police at your doorstep within 5mins ready to "protect" you the only option is to expect help from above

If an average Nigerian can come home to a house with electricity, have access to quality health care, quality healthcare and is guaranteed a stable economy to run his business quality judiaciary system, proper crime solving and security procedures he wouldn't need to pray to god because his "problems" will already be solved

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by plaetton: 11:09pm On Jul 05, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

^^^

Mr. P should stick to criticism please , I cannot deal with this abeg . Nigeria has a land area of close to 1 million km^sq and less than 0.002% of that being used for religious purposes is what is bothering plaetton .. lmao

KingEbukasBlog,
Listen carefully.

You seldom contribute anything of value to any discussion.
I confess, silly antics irritate me, not because of differences in opinions, but you have very low comprehension problems that doesn't allow You to zone in on the root of a discussion and contribute meaningfully.
I take it you are a teenager or so.

Let me offer You a guide.
This op is like your jamb or Waec english question.
I have given You a scenario, given you some facts,given You proper context, offered my opinion, and then asked You simple logical questions based on facts presented.

Now, if you want to refute the facts, in this case that churches are closing in record numbers throughout Europe and America, then pls go ahead and present your own facts.
If you want to dispute that churches are mushrooming in Nigeria at 10x the pace, kindly make your case with facts as well.

If on the other hand, You want to give reasons for the obvious dichotomy, You are more than welcome to do that.

But, what You been doing on this thread is acting like a jester, a clown in a king s court.
This is perhaps how low You think of yourself.

Pls step up your game, grow and contribute meaningfully.
Desist from kneejerk reactions . Think thoroughly about the meat of the issue.
Good luck.

9 Likes

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:17pm On Jul 05, 2015
hahn:

1) Lack of quality health care: When a Nigerian falls sick or is involved in an accident, really what he needs is a "miracle" because we lack the necessary and up to date facilities to perform successful healing procedures

You should know that hospitals in villages lack quality health equipment . And most villagers are pagans . Op is talking of urban areas . Dont urban areas in Nigeria offer quality health care services ?

2) Lack of electricity: due to lack of electricity which makes it difficult to successfully plan your day you have to resort to praying for a miracle to be able to perform simple tasks such as ironing your clothes for a job interview or even drink cold water

This is childish

3) Lack of quality education: Most Nigerians are victims of a very deplorable educational system. Waec students of 2015 will still answer 1980 questions and study from 1980 textbooks. Imagine people who believe that bathing in salt water can cure ebola. Their minds are unable to process new ideas or detect that they are being brainwashed

Developed countries are still much very religious

4) Religion promotes hypocricy: A christian, for instance, can go to the club, take drugs, sleep with different women, lie, cheat, show envy, burn up "suspects" without a fair trial and will still boldy go to church on Sunday and ask for forgiveness and then believe they are qualified for "heaven". That's hypocricy

"Religion promotes hypocricy" and I see a cheap attempt to mock Christians . Why attack Christians only when you clearly mentioned Religion ? And atheism isnt hypocrisy? "Energy is self-existent " is science but "God is self-existent " is magic . A popular jester said this cool

5) Lack of proper security: Since one can't dial 911 and expect the police at your doorstep within 5mins ready to "protect" you the only option is to expect help from above

Police in UAE are one of the best equipped in the world - their crime rate speaks for itself . But they are very religious

If an average Nigerian can come home to a house with electricity, have access to quality health care, quality healthcare and is guaranteed a stable economy to run his business quality judiaciary system, proper crime solving and security procedures he wouldn't need to pray to god because his "problems" will already be solved

Weak points raised ... hahn go and sleep please grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:28pm On Jul 05, 2015
plaetton:

KingEbukasBlog,
Listen carefully.

You seldom contribute anything of value to any discussion.
I confess, silly antics irritate me, not because of differences in opinions, but you have very low comprehension problems that doesn't allow You to zone in on the root of a discussion and contribute meaningfully.
I take it you are a teenager or so.

Let me offer You a guide.
This op is like your jamb or Waec english question.
I have given You a scenario, given you some facts,given You proper context, offered my opinion, and then asked You simple logical questions based on facts presented.

Now, if you want to refute the facts, in this case that churches are closing in record numbers throughout Europe and America, then pls go ahead and present your own facts.
If you want to dispute that churches are mushrooming in Nigeria at 10x the pace, kindly make your case with facts as well.

If on the other hand, You want to give reasons for the obvious dichotomy, You are more than welcome to do that.

But, what You been doing on this thread is acting like a jester, a clown in a king s court.
This is perhaps how low You think of yourself.

Pls step up your game, grow and contribute meaningfully.
Desist from kneejerk reactions . Think thoroughly about the meat of the issue.
Good luck.

You just described yourself

Mr. man most of the guys who have known you before me always say you offer nothing . Your so called christian friends don't take your arguments seriously . Churches are being closed so what ? I quoted scriptures above and I gave you countries who are developed whilst being religious and still are and you did not reply . Your hatred for Christianity will lead you nowhere .

Go and study Religion in countries and stop cherry picking to substantiate your claims .
Good Luck

A quick example :

davidylan:

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 06, 2015
plaetton:

And why.

This is inferiority complex at its very worst... in a sense you're basically admitting that you're inferior to the white man, so if they are dumping religion it must be because of something far superior that they have discovered?

1 Like

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by Nobody: 1:11am On Jul 06, 2015
plaetton:

Yes. Certain regions of the US, notably the Southern parts. But it still remains the merchantilistic christianity that thrives there.
Statistically, religion is on a steady decline in the USA.
Church closings, demolitions and conversions are common throughout the USA.

Describing the American christian culture as mercantilism is just wrong... it seems to me that you have no clue what that word even means.

Mercantilism - belief in the benefits of profitable trading; commercialism.

If anything, it is the AFRICAN/NIGERIAN form of christianity that exhibits mercantilism. We are the ones who basically have turned "God" into a tool for making profit. In the US, christianity, especially in the South, is more a culture, and is mostly associated with patriotism and a deep sense of national pride. Most people describe the American christianity as cultural christianity... certainly nothing to do with profit.

On the other hand... religion is indeed on the decline in the US but i'm not sure anyone has figured out exactly why. More often than not this is largely due to the huge influx of communist Europeans after world war II, the feminist/s exual revolution of the 60s and the fact that the US constitution explicitly forbids the adoption of a national religion. One thing is certain - its not because they have someone developed a significantly higher IQ than us... which i think is what people like you try to insinuate... much to your shame really.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by plaetton: 1:23am On Jul 06, 2015
davidylan:

This is inferiority complex at its very worst... in a sense you're basically admitting that you're inferior to the white man, so if they are dumping religion it must be because of something far superior that they have discovered?

See dishonesty.

It is not inferiority complex to question why a people that gifted You with something supposedly precious, seem to have been discarding this gift like a plague, whilst You are still clutching joyfully to that same object.

Common sense should warrant You to ask whether You had been duped, and then re-examine the useful utility of this gift.

4 Likes

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by Nobody: 1:30am On Jul 06, 2015
plaetton:

See dishonesty.

It is not inferiority complex to question why a people that gifted You with something supposedly precious, seem to have been discarding this gift like a plague, whilst You are still clutching joyfully to that same object.

Common sense should warrant You to ask whether You had been duped, and then re-examine the useful utility of this gift.

I guess the question though is that are they really "dumping it like a plague"? The answer, when you dig deeper, is no. For example, 83% of Americans label themselves as christians. Just because people are not streaming into churches as they used to 40 years ago does not change that. US politics is still heavily influenced by christianity... in fact you have zero hope of winning major elections in the US as anything other than a bible thumping christian and that is fact.

A lot of the perceived apathy in church attendance can be laid at the doorstep of changing technology. Today you can sit in your house and attend church via the web or on TV live... why drive to church?

The problem is that you are not really thinking through issues in any serious depth. You're basically shooting off at the hip, which probably explains why you're quick to resort to insults when everyone is not lining up behind you to kiss your feet in awe at your "intelligence".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by dabosuker(m): 1:51am On Jul 06, 2015
hahn:

Bulls Eye!!!...I was beginning to think i was the only one with this Theory.
we live in a society where Nothing works, where the govt & system are lousy & non existent. a society where you provide road for yourself, water for yourself, electricity for your self, security for your self, a society that leaves you at your own mercy, ...offcourse where else do you look to , some supernatural help or miracle, & that leads you to the church , & in church istead of the preacher to tell you the truth that the hardship or your problems are being caused by bad governance , the preacher would keep telling you that the devil is the cause of your problem, so sad. In Nigeria the biggest gainers from bad governance are not the guys selling black market petrol on the roads, but the Religious leaders. If things worked in Nigeria as supposed to, less people would crowd those religious centres.
You spend hours in Church binding the devil whom you do not even see, rather than physically holding responsible the nearest LGA chairman or counselor . The churches should spend less time binding the devil & more time asking each & every member to summon their councilors & LGA chairmen & assess workdone & accountability . Only then can Religion start transforming us for the best , this is why i keep saying the CHURCH has failed, speaking from a Christian point of view.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by hahn(m): 10:06am On Jul 06, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

You should know that hospitals in villages lack quality health equipment . And most villagers are pagans . Op is talking of urban areas . Dont urban areas in Nigeria offer quality health care services ?

You obviously don't live in Nigeria or you don't know what it means to have quality health services. Can you call an emergency number in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt etc and have an ambulance arrive at your doorstep within 10mins with personnel equiped with knowledge of standard first aid procedure or live saving equipments? Do you realise that in some hospitals patients have to hold up torchlights while they are being operated on?

This is childish

because.....

Developed countries are still much very religious

But not as religious as under developed countries

"Religion promotes hypocricy" and I see a cheap attempt to mock Christians . Why attack Christians only when you clearly mentioned Religion ? And atheism isnt hypocrisy? "Energy is self-existent " is science but "God is self-existent " is magic . A popular jester said this cool

sorry, I didn't mean to attack on christianity. Atheism is not a religion. Well, we can feel energy but can't feel god as he seems to only exist in the brain

Police in UAE are one of the best equipped in the world - their crime rate speaks for itself . But they are very religious

Their crime rate speaks for itself because they are a very religious country despite having an equipped police force

Weak points raised ... hahn go and sleep please grin

It's Monday mate! I wasn't expecting you to face reality anyway

4 Likes

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by hahn(m): 10:26am On Jul 06, 2015
dabosuker:

Bulls Eye!!!...I was beginning to think i was the only one with this Theory.
we live in a society where Nothing works, where the govt & system are lousy & non existent. a society where you provide road for yourself, water for yourself, electricity for your self, security for your self, a society that leaves you at your own mercy, ...offcourse where else do you look to , some supernatural help or miracle, & that leads you to the church , & in church istead of the preacher to tell you the truth that the hardship or your problems are being caused by bad governance , the preacher would keep telling you that the devil is the cause of your problem, so sad. In Nigeria the biggest gainers from bad governance are not the guys selling black market petrol on the roads, but the Religious leaders. If things worked in Nigeria as supposed to, less people would crowd those religious centres.
You spend hours in Church binding the devil whom you do not even see, rather than physically holding responsible the nearest LGA chairman or counselor . The churches should spend less time binding the devil & more time asking each & every member to summon their councilors & LGA chairmen & assess workdone & accountability . Only then can Religion start transforming us for the best , this is why i keep saying the CHURCH has failed, speaking from a Christian point of view.

Thanks a lot for the input. I'm really glad we're on the same page

1 Like

Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:34pm On Jul 06, 2015
hahn:

It's Monday mate! I wasn't expecting you to face reality anyway

Reality ? WT do you about reality ? Go and mingle with the public and hear stories that prove the supernatural . I'm sure everyone that has a story or two about it is delusional and you , the all intelligent know it all . Mtcheeeww

I pity you guys . This trash only works behind the keyboard , say it to people's faces and see what happens smiley
Re: Church Booms And Busts: Nigeria And The West, A Tale Of 2 Different Worlds. by johnydon22(m): 4:17pm On Jul 06, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

I pity you guys . This trash only works behind the keyboard , say it to people's faces and see what happens smiley
Actually people here know i am very much atheistic. . . Many a time they have called me out to debate some door to door evangelists, they love discussing with me and call me when an argument gets tough within them. . .

I don't know about you but not everyone is that intolerant because i know i don't hide my atheistic views and i have a lot of respect here.

Are you telling me you would kill or attack an atheist if you meet one? wink

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Truth About Mother Teresa: Debunking The Myths. / Please People Of God Where Can I Go For Deliverance??? / Curse Of Canaan: Did Ham Desecrate Noah's Bed By Sleeping With His Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.