Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,793 members, 7,802,521 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family (2239 Views)

American Lady Who Declared Husband Missing, Gets Warned By Nigerian Wife / Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. / Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by BlackGirlLost(f): 5:07pm On Jul 05, 2015
Good day to all of you:

I've been reading over a lot of these forum posts and they seem to help others, so I was hoping the same could happen for me. I need your help!

Both my boyfriend and I are American, but we are clearly from two different cultures. I'm a Stolen African and Mexican woman, so if of course, I only know my family history dating back to slavery in America + Mexico's independence. He, however, is Nigerian from Edo State and lived there when he was younger.

This man has told me that he dates with the intent to marry. I believe his actions match his words, because in the three months we've been dating, I had major surgery and he stuck by me even though he has two jobs.

I am finding Nigerian people have their customs and traditions, and have been crying over YouTube videos of traditional weddings. I think it is so beautiful the retention your people have for culture and tradition.

But I need more information and possibly advice on how to deal with his family I will meet soon. I've met all his friends and the two cousins he lives with. But I haven't met his family because there is something I have to clear up in my personal life before he presents me.

He told me that his parents will love me, but that he is afraid of how his sister (who two years younger than him) and I will get along.

He is worried that she will be rude to me and grill me about my age, my previous martial status, and the fact I haven't finished my bachelor's... although neither has he.

I've seen posts that say "just be respectful even if the family is cold" but how far should I or should I not go?

1 Like

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by nicerod(m): 7:10pm On Jul 05, 2015
Ayam lost 4 words

3 Likes

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by Amya(f): 7:53pm On Jul 05, 2015
Well, just be yourself. Be simple, respectful and direct and don't do anything to overly impress. Fortunately for you it doesn't matter so much even if his sister does not like you as she wouldn't be living with you both. All that matters is that he loves you. He does right?

1 Like

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by BlackGirlLost(f): 2:20am On Jul 06, 2015
I'm absolutely sure this man wants to marry me yes
Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by BlackGirlLost(f): 2:20am On Jul 06, 2015
nicerod:
Ayam lost 4 words

What's wrong? Did I say something inappropriate?
Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by bellong: 5:58am On Jul 06, 2015
Tell him to teach you bow they greet older people in his home town for a start.

When you meet them, first thing is to greet them in the traditional way, it is the first step to your acceptance by the family. If need be, help with domestic chores and be socially free with the members of his family.

2 Likes

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by Jorussia(m): 8:11am On Jul 06, 2015
BlackGirlLost:
Good day to all of you:

I've been reading over a lot of these forum posts and they seem to help others, so I was hoping the same could happen for me. I need your help!

Both my boyfriend and I are American, but we are clearly from two different cultures. I'm a Stolen African and Mexican woman, so if of course, I only know my family history dating back to slavery in America + Mexico's independence. He, however, is Nigerian from Edo State and lived there when he was younger.

This man has told me that he dates with the intent to marry. I believe his actions match his words, because in the three months we've been dating, I had major surgery and he stuck by me even though he has two jobs.

I am finding Nigerian people have their customs and traditions, and have been crying over YouTube videos of traditional weddings. I think it is so beautiful the retention your people have for culture and tradition.

But I need more information and possibly advice on how to deal with his family I will meet soon. I've met all his friends and the two cousins he lives with. But I haven't met his family because there is something I have to clear up in my personal life before he presents me.

He told me that his parents will love me, but that he is afraid of how his sister (who two years younger than him) and I will get along.

He is worried that she will be rude to me and grill me about my age, my previous martial status, and the fact I haven't finished my bachelor's... although neither has he.

I've seen posts that say "just be respectful even if the family is cold" but how far should I or should I not go?
I am from Edo state, I don't think you will have any problem with his family. Edo people are generally receptive towards strangers(white inclusive). We are used to marrying white ladies.The only thing you should investigate, is if he is not already married here in Nigeria. Most Edo guys who are married to white ladies oversea have wives here.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by nicerod(m): 4:46pm On Jul 06, 2015
BlackGirlLost:

What's wrong? Did I say something inappropriate?
i dnt knw wot 2 say dats y
Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jul 31, 2015
Hmmmmmmmm. Don't tolerate cold inlaws. They are worse to deal with. There's this Yoruba proverb that says, "aya buburu da ju ano buburu lo". Which means having a bad wife is better than bad inlaws.

1 Like

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by MrsChima(f): 6:49pm On Jul 31, 2015
Jorussia:
I am from Edo state, I don't think you will have any problem with his family. Edo people are generally receptive towards strangers(white inclusive). We are used to marrying white ladies.The only thing you should investigate, is if he is not already married here in Nigeria. Most Edo guys who are married to white ladies oversea have wives here.

Why do Edo men like white ladies so? It is a trend or thing to do? Just curious.

1 Like

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by Xtristolink: 8:15pm On Jul 31, 2015
BlackGirlLost:
Good day to all of you:

All u raised now are no issues!
He is trying to discourage u from seeing his people!Period!
Maybe he is hiding something!

1 Like

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by BlackGirlLost(f): 8:18pm On Jul 31, 2015
Xtristolink:

All u raised now are no issues!
He is trying to discourage u from seeing his people!Period!
Maybe he is hiding something!

Well I'm not discouraged. I think it's the truth, his cousins share the same sentiment about the sisters

1 Like

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by Xtristolink: 8:28pm On Jul 31, 2015
BlackGirlLost:

Well I'm not discouraged. I think it's the truth, his cousins share the same sentiment about the sisters
How long is the rel? do your underground work very well! before long u will understand why he doesn't want u to see his people!

2 Likes

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by BlackGirlLost(f): 8:35pm On Jul 31, 2015
Xtristolink:

How long is the rel? do your underground work very well! before long u will understand why he doesn't want u to see his people!

This August we'll be dating for 4 months. But I just finished taking care of my obligation last Monday, so I'm just going to take the advice that I've been given and give him time to work this out

1 Like

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by Xtristolink: 8:41pm On Jul 31, 2015
BlackGirlLost:

This August we'll be dating for 4 months. But I just finished taking care of my obligation last Monday, so I'm just going to take the advice that I've been given and give him time to work this out

Everyman will be so proud and willing to show off his lady to his people.Once he starts hesitating, then that's a warning sign!
It means danger!

1 Like

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by BlackGirlLost(f): 8:44pm On Jul 31, 2015
Xtristolink:

Everyman will be so proud and willing to show off his lady to his people.Once he starts hesitating, then that's a warning sign!
It means danger!

Girl who you telling... we will see what is the meaning behind all of this
Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by Xtristolink: 8:46pm On Jul 31, 2015
BlackGirlLost:

Girl who you telling... we will see what is the meaning behind all of this
I'm a guy

1 Like

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by BlackGirlLost(f): 8:52pm On Jul 31, 2015
Xtristolink:

I'm a guy

embarassed sorry

1 Like

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by mekzyjoe(m): 9:20pm On Jul 31, 2015
BlackGirlLost:

embarassed sorry
. Sorry bt hw old r u? R u older dan him or d oda way round??

1 Like

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by BlackGirlLost(f): 9:20pm On Jul 31, 2015
mekzyjoe:
. Sorry bt hw old r u? R u older dan him or d oda way round??

He's 28 I'm 31

2 Likes

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by mekzyjoe(m): 9:22pm On Jul 31, 2015
BlackGirlLost:

He's 28 I'm 31
. Dats nice....big AUNTY tinz...its gonna b well,,jst chill
Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by BlackGirlLost(f): 9:23pm On Jul 31, 2015
mekzyjoe:
. Dats nice....big AUNTY tinz...its gonna b well,,jst chill

OK thank you all again
Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by nnamdibig(m): 8:48am On Aug 01, 2015
BlackGirlLost:

He's 28 I'm 31

It may likely not work out between the both of you........Nigerian factor

1 Like

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by BlackGirlLost(f): 1:49pm On Aug 01, 2015
nnamdibig:

It may likely not work out between the both of you........Nigerian factor

Thank you
Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 01, 2015
if you 31 and he's younger just forget it... A typical Nigerian family won't accept such.. They will be concerned about your respect for him and you not looking too old for him... Telling them you were married before is also another draw back because they will think you will leave the guy just the way you left your ex... It's complicated but prepare your mind for the worst.. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by BlackGirlLost(f): 5:56pm On Aug 03, 2015
MrsChima:

Why do Edo men like white ladies so? It is a trend or thing to do? Just curious.

Chima! Tell me more about these white women?

1 Like

Re: Afro Latina Warned About Meeting My Naija Guy's Family by vague: 8:22pm On Aug 03, 2015
BlackGirlLost:

Chima! Tell me more about these white women?
ask uncle Ishiomhole

(1) (Reply)

Meet Britain's First 'black And White' Identical Twins / The Type Of Wife I Want VS The Type Of Daughter In Law Mum Wants / Everything Is Wrong With Married Couples Buying Properties With Individual Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.