Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,842 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 (4741 Views)

Phone Gurus: Samsung S7 Edge Vs Sony Z5 Premium / S5 Vs Htc M8 Vs Iphone 5s / LG G3 Vs Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. Which Would U Choose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 3:59pm On Jul 06, 2015
Phone gurus, please advice, which is the better machine between this 3 giants - The Samsung Galaxy s5, Sony Z2 and LG G3 - in terms of specs, battery performance, and durability. Also which one is the easiest to upgrade to lollipop and to root.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by donhils: 4:33pm On Jul 06, 2015
Bratking:
Phone gurus, please advice, which is the better machine between this 3 giants - The Samsung Galaxy s5, Sony Z2 and LG G3 - in terms of specs, battery performance, and durability. Also which one is the easiest to upgrade to lollipop and to root.
Sony z2 is best in terms of battery, G3 in terms of looks, beauty and innovations, s5 in terms of functionality and easily upgradable.
My opinion though.
What their current prices?
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 4:43pm On Jul 08, 2015
donhils:

Sony z2 is best in terms of battery, G3 in terms of looks, beauty and innovations, s5 in terms of functionality and easily upgradable.
My opinion though.
What their current prices?

Finally got a Samsung Galaxy s5 SM-900f (International Variant) which is 2K costier than SM-900H (African Variant). I made my decision based on my findings on GSMarena, Phonearena, and IGN. Each time, S5 comes out tops but G3 a close 2nd.

The S5 cost me 95k, but it's worth it cuz, it's of international variation, easily rootable, 32gb rom, and a qualcomm snapdragon 801 device.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by donhils: 6:16pm On Jul 08, 2015
Bratking:

Finally got a Samsung Galaxy s5 SM-900f (International Variant) which is 2K costier than SM-900H (African Variant). I made my decision based on my findings on GSMarena, Phonearena, and IGN. Each time, S5 comes out tops but G3 a close 2nd.

The S5 cost me 95k, but it's worth it cuz, it's of international variation, easily rootable, 32gb rom, and a qualcomm snapdragon 801 device.
From where did you buy it and how much is G3 at that same place?
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 7:16pm On Jul 08, 2015
donhils:

From where did you buy it and how much is G3 at that same place?
From Guaranty phones in Awka. The G3 16gb variant goes for 85k while the 32gb variant goes for 87k. The phone beautiful sha. it's not huge as one would expect from a 5.5 inch phone. the design was an engineering marvel, but at the end of the day I chose S5 due to the finger print scanner, sharper amoled display, heartbeat monitor, better battery life, better processor, better camera, air touch, and water resistant ability.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by donhils: 7:32pm On Jul 08, 2015
Bratking:

From Guaranty phones in Awka. The G3 16gb variant goes for 85k while the 32gb variant goes for 87k. The phone beautiful sha. it's not huge as one would expect from a 5.5 inch phone. the design was an engineering marvel, but at the end of the day I chose S5 due to the finger print scanner, sharper amoled display, heartbeat monitor, better battery life, better processor, better camera, air touch, and water resistant ability.
So they have the G3 3GB ram 32GB rom in Awka?
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 7:36pm On Jul 08, 2015
donhils:
So they have the G3 3GB ram 32GB rom in Awka?
Sold out actually but the 16gb is available.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by donhils: 7:48pm On Jul 08, 2015
Bratking:

Sold out actually but the 16gb is available.
I'll like to see them oh. Is it the Guaranty shop that's at Unizik temp site, close to Nnedioranma Extension Hostel?
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 7:53pm On Jul 08, 2015
donhils:

I'll like to see them oh. Is it the Guaranty shop that's at Unizik temp site, close to Nnedioranma Extension Hostel?

You know the place. do you live in Awka?
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 7:59pm On Jul 08, 2015
It's at Unizik junction to be precise, just along the mgbakwu/Isianiocha road.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by donhils: 8:11pm On Jul 08, 2015
Bratking:

You know the place. do you live in Awka?
Yea. I'll go there 2moro or next.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 8:12pm On Jul 08, 2015
donhils:
Yea. I'll go there 2moro or next.
Okay.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by firetrap(m): 4:10am On Jul 09, 2015
@bratking the international version of the S5 is the SM-G900H and not the SM-G900F as you wrongfully said. it's not the "African variant" as it is also sold in Asia, Europe and even north America.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by donhils: 5:33am On Jul 09, 2015
Bratking:

For starters, Amoled display in s5 is not sharper than the QHD screen LCD screen found in the G3 which at that time was the best display to be found on a mobile device, s5 doesn't have better processor as they are both Snapdragon 801 clocked at 2.5Ghz krait 400. Plus in S5, the variant with Exynos is better than the snapdragon version. Heartbeat monitor, airview and all the other gimmicks are useless, hence the reason they didn't bring them back in the recent s6.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 9:01am On Jul 09, 2015
firetrap:
@bratking the international version of the S5 is the SM-G900H and not the SM-G900F as you wrongfully said. it's not the "African variant" as it is also sold in Asia, Europe and even north America.

The Sm-G900f is known as Europe/international version and more powerful than the Sm-G900H commonly found in african market. I guess the SM-G900H can also be called International version.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 9:37am On Jul 09, 2015
donhils:

For starters, Amoled display in s5 is not sharper than the QHD screen LCD screen found in the G3 which at that time was the best display to be found on a mobile device, s5 doesn't have better processor as they are both Snapdragon 801 clocked at 2.5Ghz krait 400. Plus in S5, the variant with Exynos is better than the snapdragon version. Heartbeat monitor, airview and all the other gimmicks are useless, hence the reason they didn't bring them back in the recent s6.

I don't know where you get your lame facts, no offence, but need I remind you that S5 uses the amoled technology which is superior to other forms of screen technology out there, including the likes of triluminious and Super LCD. Since it doesn't need a back light for it's pixels, the end result becomes a vivid, sharp colors that pop. compare that with G3's True HD Ips quadcore HD resolution, the the result is this: S5 will give you a sharper resolution with more vivid colors on a 5.1 inch screen while G3 will give you a more natural glossy colors on a 5.5 inch screen.

On the processors the S5 qualcomm snapdragon 801 at a clock speed of 2.5ghz has an edge over the G3's because of 2 things, the amoled technology that is not power hungry like G3's True HD and the pixel density. you see, S5 uses the standard 1080 full hd format, while G3 tries to usurp it by employing the more power tasking QHD, invariably sacrificing a smooth and seamless UI performance in the process. little wonder S5 beats G3 on the Antutu benchmark test, 3D graphics test and host of other tests.

S5 variant with Exynos 5 Octa 5422 (G900H) is found to be a little inferior to the variant with qualcomm snapdragon 801 (G900f) according to series of test conducted by expects. G900f is better at movie watching and HD gaming, while G900H is a little better at hard multitasking. Both are great though.

Finally Samsung made a lot of sacrifice on the S6 to give it a lighter feel than it's predecessor and it requires cutting out a lot of extra features like water resistant ability and heat rate monitor function, which are very useful on the S5, and one of the very reason I picked it over the S6 and G3s of this world. You can monitor your calories and heatbeat, your weight, and most importantly stay healthy with S5. and the air touch function prevents you from smudging your screen everything you want to scroll through the UI.

Please don't talk what you don't know. I did an extensive research panning 2 days before making my final decision of picking S5. On consumer satisfaction. S5 still rank first, S6 is at a distant 5th place.

4 Likes

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Nobody: 11:06am On Jul 09, 2015
Bratking:

I don't know where you get your lame facts, no offence, but need I remind you that S5 uses the amoled technology which is superior to other forms of screen technology out there, including the likes of triluminious and Super LCD. Since it doesn't need a back light for it's pixels, the end result becomes a vivid, sharp colors that pop. compare that with G3's True HD Ips quadcore HD resolution, the the result is this: S5 will give you a sharper resolution with more vivid colors on a 5.1 inch screen while G3 will give you a more natural glossy colors on a 5.5 inch screen.

On the processors the S5 qualcomm snapdragon 801 at a clock speed of 2.5ghz has an edge over the G3's because of 2 things, the amoled technology that is not power hungry like G3's True HD and the pixel density. you see, S5 uses the standard 1080 full hd format, while G3 tries to usurp it by employing the more power tasking QHD, invariably sacrificing a smooth and seamless UI performance in the process. little wonder S5 beats G3 on the Antutu benchmark test, 3D graphics test and host of other tests.

S5 variant with Exynos 5 Octa 5422 (G900H) is found to be a little inferior to the variant with qualcomm snapdragon 801 (G900f) according to series of test conducted by expects. G900f is better at movie watching and HD gaming, while G900H is a little better at hard multitasking. Both are great though.

Finally Samsung made a lot of sacrifice on the S6 to give it a lighter feel than it's predecessor and it requires cutting out a lot of extra features like water resistant ability and heat rate monitor function, which are very useful on the S5, and one of the very reason I picked it over the S6 and G3s of this world. You can monitor your calories and heatbeat, your weight, and most importantly stay healthy with S5. and the air touch function prevents you from smudging your screen everything you want to scroll through the UI.

Please don't talk what you don't know. I did an extensive research panning 2 days before making my final decision of picking S5. On consumer satisfaction. S5 still rank first, S6 is at a distant 5th place.

@ the first emboldened s6 has a heart rate monitor below the flash which can also be used to take selfies

@ the second emboldened s5 got better customer satisfaction because of the presence of sd card, removable battery, water resistance and better battery life. It doesn't mean it's better than s6
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by donhils: 12:02pm On Jul 09, 2015
Bratking:

Once it comes to raining insults and calling names, I'm out of here. If you believe gsmarena reports, then this is comparison of g3 and s5 displays below.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 12:12pm On Jul 09, 2015
ollah1:

@ the first emboldened s6 has a heart rate monitor below the flash which can also be used to take selfies

@ the second emboldened s5 got better customer satisfaction because of the presence of sd card, removable battery, water resistance and better battery life. It doesn't mean it's better than s6

Good one. you made a valuable contribution without being dismissive, unlike a certain person that implied that S5 is inferior to G3 and S6.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by donhils: 12:19pm On Jul 09, 2015
Bratking:

Could've saved 11k if bought from Jumia.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 12:21pm On Jul 09, 2015
donhils:

Once it comes to raining insults and calling names, I'm out of here. If you believe gsmarena reports, then this is comparison of g3 and s5 displays below.

I didn't recall calling or raining insults on you, I only recalled (and rightfully so) admonishing you for an earlier 'lame' observations you made, and backing up my stance on the matter with detailed facts.

The Gsmarena does back up my stance on S5 having sharper colors by this sentence and I quote "LG G3, despite it's inferior color, contrast, and sunlight legibility... I think that said it all.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 12:23pm On Jul 09, 2015
donhils:
Could've saved 11k if bought from Jumia.
I don't trust jumia besides, I hate waiting.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by donhils: 12:44pm On Jul 09, 2015
Bratking:

I didn't recall calling or raining insults on you, I only recalled (and rightfully so) admonishing you for an earlier 'lame' observations you made, and backing up my stance on the matter with detailed facts.

The Gsmarena does back up my stance on S5 having sharper colors by this sentence and I quote "LG G3, despite it's inferior color, contrast, and sunlight legibility... I think that said it all.
My dear u just bought a new phone and you're looking for every possible reason to justify that you made a very good decision. It's right at the moment, enjoy it while it lasts...b4 the silver coating round the edges starts peeling off and ur phone starts to look 2yrs old in 5 months time.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 09, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S5 is most certainly a beast of a phone, but I still prefer LG G3 over it. I'm not very big on the battery front, but I'm a very visual person, thus, I would choose G3's GHD and bigger screen over S5's FHD and smaller screen anyday, anytime.

Okay, maybe I'm a bit biased, since I'm a fan of LG android devices.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 09, 2015
donhils:

My dear u just bought a new phone and you're looking for every possible reason to justify that you made a very good decision. It's right at the moment, enjoy it while it lasts...b4 the silver coating round the edges starts peeling off and ur phone starts to look 2yrs old in 5 months time.
grin grin

Dude, that's mean.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 1:00pm On Jul 09, 2015
donhils:

Fortunately that's not gonna happen because I will be travelling down to Emeka offor plaza tomorrow in order to buy a leather flip cover for my S5 to protect it from the elements and preserve it's clean look till the moment I'll be putting it up for sale in 2 to 3 years time.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 1:01pm On Jul 09, 2015
koice:
Samsung Galaxy S5 is most certainly a beast of a phone, but I still prefer LG G3 over it. I'm not very big on the battery front, but I'm a very visual person, thus, I would choose G3's GHD and bigger screen over S5's FHD and smaller screen anyday, anytime.

Okay, maybe I'm a bit biased, since I'm a fan of LG android devices.

Well like you said yourself, you are a biased contributor so your opinion is invalid.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 1:05pm On Jul 09, 2015
koice:
grin grin
Dude, that's mean.
You see how the guy keep attacking my phone. na wa oh!
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 3:42pm On Jul 09, 2015
Seriously contemplating flashing Lollipop 5.0 update to my S5. all the tools for a successful flashing and installation are available: Laptop, Odin, Samsung android usb driver, lollipop 5.0 firmware.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by donhils: 5:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
Bratking:
Seriously contemplating flashing Lollipop 5.0 update to my S5. all the tools for a successful flashing and installation are available: Laptop, Odin, Samsung android usb driver, lollipop 5.0 firmware.
About 3 weeks now that you started using your S5, this is the right time to come back and give us your real user experience. I'm waiting for that.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 6:19pm On Jul 29, 2015
donhils:

About 3 weeks now that you started using your S5, this is the right time to come back and give us your real user experience. I'm waiting for that.

My S5 has been great so far. It's particularly very good at watching movies because of it's super amoled high definition display. The phone comes with 3.0 micro usb port that facilitates fast charging even with the run-of-the-mill blackberry usb cable that one can buy for N250. The battery life itself can last for 6 hours of heavy usage on full charge (not bad). On greyscale mode, it can last for an extra 6 give or take. Handles HD gaming like a champ. It used to overheat on heavy usage. but after upgrading to a lollipop 5.0.2 firmware last week, it became a thing of the past. Finger print sensor responds better too.

I did notice one thing though. When I was running the stock kitkat, my ram memory was 1.8gb, then I did my first lollipop upgrade, checked the ram, and it was still 1.8gb. But after I did my 2nd lollipop update a week ago, my ram reduced to 1.7gb. The current OS needs more juice, I guess.

Downloading on the phone is a blast. The device comes with an inbuilt download booster that was originally meant to boost your download speed when you're on 4g network but works with 3g as well.

The device also comes with Multi-window feature that allows you to be doing 2 things simultaneously, but it tasks on the battery heavily, thus, not adviceable if you're trying to economize on the battery life. All in all, it's a great phone, a real high end premium product.

My only con with the device is the location of the speaker and the fact that it's mono instead of stereo in nature. It doesn't matter really when you're holding it in your hands or placing it face down, but when it's lying on it's back and the music is playing, the muted sound becomes a downer.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meizu M2 Note, Unboxing And Hands On Review / How Do I Remove This Icon From My Screen? / Huawei Smartphones Taking Over Naijja!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.