Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,783 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 (4745 Views)

Phone Gurus: Samsung S7 Edge Vs Sony Z5 Premium / S5 Vs Htc M8 Vs Iphone 5s / LG G3 Vs Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. Which Would U Choose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by perryy(m): 12:06am On Sep 28, 2015
Bratking:

I don't know where you get your lame facts, no offence, but need I remind you that S5 uses the amoled technology which is superior to other forms of screen technology out there, including the likes of triluminious and Super LCD. Since it doesn't need a back light for it's pixels, the end result becomes a vivid, sharp colors that pop. compare that with G3's True HD Ips quadcore HD resolution, the the result is this: S5 will give you a sharper resolution with more vivid colors on a 5.1 inch screen while G3 will give you a more natural glossy colors on a 5.5 inch screen.

On the processors the S5 qualcomm snapdragon 801 at a clock speed of 2.5ghz has an edge over the G3's because of 2 things, the amoled technology that is not power hungry like G3's True HD and the pixel density. you see, S5 uses the standard 1080 full hd format, while G3 tries to usurp it by employing the more power tasking QHD, invariably sacrificing a smooth and seamless UI performance in the process. little wonder S5 beats G3 on the Antutu benchmark test, 3D graphics test and host of other tests.

S5 variant with Exynos 5 Octa 5422 (G900H) is found to be a little inferior to the variant with qualcomm snapdragon 801 (G900f) according to series of test conducted by expects. G900f is better at movie watching and HD gaming, while G900H is a little better at hard multitasking. Both are great though.

Finally Samsung made a lot of sacrifice on the S6 to give it a lighter feel than it's predecessor and it requires cutting out a lot of extra features like water resistant ability and heat rate monitor function, which are very useful on the S5, and one of the very reason I picked it over the S6 and G3s of this world. You can monitor your calories and heatbeat, your weight, and most importantly stay healthy with S5. and the air touch function prevents you from smudging your screen everything you want to scroll through the UI.

Please don't talk what you don't know. I did an extensive research panning 2 days before making my final decision of picking S5. On consumer satisfaction. S5 still rank first, S6 is at a distant 5th place.

You are really good at what you do. Thumps up

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by perryy(m): 12:29am On Sep 28, 2015
Bratking:

My S5 has been great so far. It's particularly very good at watching movies because of it's super amoled high definition display. The phone comes with 3.0 micro usb port that facilitates fast charging even with the run-of-the-mill blackberry usb cable that one can buy for N250. The battery life itself can last for 6 hours of heavy usage on full charge (not bad). On greyscale mode, it can last for an extra 6 give or take. Handles HD gaming like a champ. It used to overheat on heavy usage. but after upgrading to a lollipop 5.0.2 firmware last week, it became a thing of the past. Finger print sensor responds better too.

I did notice one thing though. When I was running the stock kitkat, my ram memory was 1.8gb, then I did my first lollipop upgrade, checked the ram, and it was still 1.8gb. But after I did my 2nd lollipop update a week ago, my ram reduced to 1.7gb. The current OS needs more juice, I guess.

Downloading on the phone is a blast. The device comes with an inbuilt download booster that was originally meant to boost your download speed when you're on 4g network but works with 3g as well.

The device also comes with Multi-window feature that allows you to be doing 2 things simultaneously, but it tasks on the battery heavily, thus, not adviceable if you're trying to economize on the battery life. All in all, it's a great phone, a real high end premium product.

My only con with the device is the location of the speaker and the fact that it's mono instead of stereo in nature. It doesn't matter really when you're holding it in your hands or placing it face down, but when it's lying on it's back and the music is playing, the muted sound becomes a downer.

Lg G3 is good ,but the QHd and poor connectivity are huge minuses. I used G3 for a week and i had to sell it in order to get an S5 . coming from a Bb background, I had enjoyed really good connectivity where other phones falter, but when I got my g3, I discovered that ,using the same network, I would be having just one bar on the g3 while my Z30 was on full bar. This experience really made me mad to the extent that I almost thought of going back to Bb. As if that was not enough, I discovered that the QHD display is as useless as anything. Out of over 500 videos I have on my one tera memory (accessible via otg) none of it was QHD ,then I made a Google search and I discovered that QHD vidoes and images is as rare as rarity itself. So what is the need for it on my phone? Just to drain my juice ?

To crown, it all, since I got the s5, I have never thought of going back to Bb. Connectivity is almost as good as that of bb Z30 and the video and image are crisper and look far better than what the g3 can offer. I only missed the knock code and the bigger display of the g3 though.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 6:58am On Sep 28, 2015
perryy:

Lg G3 is good ,but the QHd and poor connectivity are huge minuses. I used G3 for a week and i had to sell it in order to get an S5 . coming from a Bb background, I had enjoyed really good connectivity where other phones falter, but when I got my g3, I discovered that ,using the same network, I would be having just one bar on the g3 while my Z30 was on full bar. This experience really made me mad to the extent that I almost thought of going back to Bb. As if that was not enough, I discovered that the QHD display is as useless as anything. Out of over 500 videos I have on my one tera memory (accessible via otg) none of it was QHD ,then I made a Google search and I discovered that QHD vidoes and images is as rare as rarity itself. So what is the need for it on my phone? Just to drain my juice ?

To crown, it all, since I got the s5, I have never thought of going back to Bb. Connectivity is almost as good as that of bb Z30 and the video and image are crisper and look far better than what the g3 can offer. I only missed the knock code and the bigger display of the g3 though.

Thank you bro. I keep telling folks (Donhills et al) that G3 only has better resolution than the S5 in theory, not in practise. I remembered saying something of similar nature to yours to someone once - that the QHD resolution is useless for now as 98% videos we have today were/are been shot in 720i and 1080i color formats respectively.

When it comes to connectivity, you were quite right again, the downloading speed on my S5 is something to behold.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by johnyumez(m): 10:44pm On Sep 28, 2015
I'm an lg fan, just sold my lg g2 and planning on buying the s5 rather than the g3.. lg g3 is a nice phone..very sleek and attractive.. s5 is nyc as well tho I'd want Samsung to ditch the touchwiz Ui or make it lighter.. but after operating the both phones(lol after claiming I wanted to get one).. i think the s5 was d clear winner ( just so u know its a personal decision). And as for the screen quality nothing beats an amoled screen! (Talk more of super amoled lol). Samsung cameras are veey good in producing real life colours and pictures.. Lg is good but not that good in producing real life images.. atleast my s4 vs my lg g2 camera taught me that... i dont know bout the G4 but I hope it would be better than the s6..
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by johnyumez(m): 10:47pm On Sep 28, 2015
Bratking:

Thank you bro. I keep telling folks (Donhills et al) that G3 only has better resolution than the S5 in theory, not in practise. I remembered saying something of similar nature to yours to someone once - that the QHD resolution is useless for now as 98% videos we have today were/are been shot in 720i and 1080i color formats respectively.

When it comes to connectivity, you were quite right again, the downloading speed on my S5 is something to behold.

Bro, from your screenshot ure on lollipop and using simple server... how do u go bout the autoproxy? does simple server power all ur apps? Or ure using anoda proxy app. .
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Nobody: 1:10am On Sep 29, 2015
I will like Sony xperia users to share his/her proper review about the phone.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 5:08am On Sep 29, 2015
johnyumez:

Bro, from your screenshot ure on lollipop and using simple server... how do u go bout the autoproxy? does simple server power all ur apps? Or ure using anoda proxy app. .

Auto proxy doesn't work on Lollipop bro, fortunately though, I don't need it cuz Simple Server powers most of my apps without any proxy help whatsoever.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 5:17am On Sep 29, 2015
johnyumez:
i dont know bout the G4 but I hope it would be better than the s6..

The G4's display is basically like it's predecessor, the G3: the same LCD type QHD display and the same PPI.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by johnyumez(m): 6:35am On Sep 29, 2015
Bratking:

Auto proxy doesn't work on Lollipop bro, fortunately though, I don't need it cuz Simple Server powers most of my apps without any proxy help whatsoever.
Most of ur apps...like whatsapp and Facebook?
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 7:01am On Sep 29, 2015
johnyumez:

Most of ur apps...like whatsapp and Facebook?

Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram, Stock Browser, UC Browser, CM browser, Playstore, Musixmatch, Google drive, Samsung Apps... the only apps that don't work are Operamini, YouTube and Tubemate.

An alternative to autoproxy is Droid proxy btw.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Homguy(m): 10:50am On Sep 29, 2015
Bratking:

You see how the guy keep attacking my phone. na wa oh!
he is right, my colleague's S5 has its silver edges pilled off at some points on the phone. I was shocked. I didn't expect that from such an expensive device. They need to up their build quality.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 10:52am On Sep 29, 2015
Homguy:
They need to up their build quality.

Have you seen the S6 Edge?
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Homguy(m): 11:30am On Sep 29, 2015
grin
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Homguy(m): 11:31am On Sep 29, 2015
Bratking:

Have you seen the S6 Edge?
we are talking about the Samsungs5. BTW, any phone-head would know about Samsung's penchant for building devices with less than premium finishes compared to makers such as apple, HTC, beautiful Sony, and even Lg. I haven't seen the s6 edge, nor the s6 itself, but if my experience with Samsung phones is anything to go by, I would wait for a multitude to buy their devices just to assess if their beauty would last as long as to warrant their mountain top prices. After nine months please share a picture of your expensive s5.

Btw, I hate the fact that regardless of how carefully I use my Samsung phone, if I do not hide its beauty in some casing, its coatings would start to edge off in a matter of months, despite its price. Bro, I love looks, I'd rather go for a Sony, or an HTC.

Lastly, everyone i have seen using the s4,s5 and even likely s6 do not use those functions you bought your s5 for. They are cumbersome ,and are mostly gimmicks. A personal question to you? In all honesty , how many times have you used the airview function or the smart scroll, smart pause, steps counter, heart rate monitor etc. They are just sale points and something to entertain you when idle. I have used the s4 and haven't seen the practicality of their daily usage. The screen is better, ok. Its slightly faster than competition,ok. That's all there's to it.bro. I would rather buy from the Sony , or HTC marques.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs Lg G3 Vs Sony Z2 by Bratking(m): 1:47pm On Sep 29, 2015
Homguy:
we are talking about the Samsungs5. BTW, any phone-head would know about Samsung's penchant for building devices with less than premium finishes compared to makers such as apple, HTC, beautiful Sony, and even Lg. I haven't seen the s6 edge, nor the s6 itself, but if my experience with Samsung phones is anything to go by, I would wait for a multitude to buy their devices just to assess if their beauty would last as long as to warrant their mountain top prices. After nine months please share a picture of your expensive s5.

I had to laugh at the bold. Samsung does not put much stock on exterior beauty, especially on their flagships, cuz, to the Korean Electronics giant, practically, durability and continuity were the most important factors to building an ideal smartphone.

When a device comes equipped with superior screen resolution, top of the line screen protector, superior chipsets, fascinating processing speed, great gpu, memory card slot expandable to 128gb, Internal rom of 32gb and more, dust and water resistant (GS5), quick charging capability, and loads of other features, then exterior beauty becomes irrelevant/obsolete.

If you value beauty above all, then better stick to HTC, Xiaomi, and Sony, but don't expect those brands to best Samsung flagships on performance alone talk more of durability.

Come to think of it, whom in their right minds would pay half a mind to an irrelevant issue like chrome-peeling, when both the smartphone's hardware and software operate like a million bucks.

In my experience It's only newbies (amateurs) and women that buy smartphones based on beauty alone.

Homguy:
Btw, I hate the fact that regardless of how carefully I use my Samsung phone, if I do not hide its beauty in some casing, its coatings would start to edge off in a matter of months, despite its price. Bro, I love looks, I'd rather go for a Sony, or an HTC.

Like I said earlier, if you're a visual person, then, you would be best served sticking with Sony and HTC... but wait oh, weren't you kinda contradictory... and maybe a tad confused? Those aforementioned brands' flagships can only outshone an S4 and S5 only and ONLY IF their respective displays were in standby or off mode. Fully activated, with their displays on full effect, Samsung's former flagship duo will arguably take HTC (M7 & M8) and Sony (Z1 and Z2) to the cleaners, visually. Nothing beats a Super Amoled FHD Display on a 5.1 inch screen in a darkened room.

Who buys a phone just to admire it's exterior without taking the most important factor - the screen resolution - into account? Most certainly not a purist.

Homguy:
Lastly, everyone i have seen using the s4,s5 and even likely s6 do not use those functions you bought your s5 for. They are cumbersome ,and are mostly gimmicks. A personal question to you? In all honesty , how many times have you used the airview function or the smart scroll, smart pause, steps counter, heart rate monitor etc. They are just sale points and something to entertain you when idle. I have used the s4 and haven't seen the practicality of their daily usage. The screen is better, ok. Its slightly faster than competition,ok. That's all there's to it.bro. I would rather buy from the Sony , or HTC marques.

You forgot to mention the finger print scanner... and yeah, I use most of them on daily basis.

Upon activation of Smart pause, you can pause a video by simply looking away, or by placing your palm on top of the display or better still, turning the device over to rest on it's posterior. Your display will consistently stay on as long as you're eyeballing it with Smart stay. You can capture a screenshot by swiping your palm from side to side across the display with Screen Capture, etc.

Practicality?? Hell yeah! Nothing beats a Samsung premium smartphone when it comes to pure unadulterated performance.

Side note: Before I go to sleep, I habitually check my heart rate for the day, then save the result to compare to the next day's. I use Air browse only if I want to show off, usually when I'm in a public transportation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tecno L8plus - A Quick Review / Tecno Have Launch Camon C9 / My issues with Itel 1516 Plus, Warranty not Honoured!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.