Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,107 members, 7,807,338 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:29 PM

Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom (18211 Views)

Dialogue: Ijaw Elders Reject Clark’s Team / Ondo Farmers Reject Proposed Grazing Routes For Fulani Herdsmen / Rivers Elders Reject Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Laredojohn(m): 4:43pm On Jul 06, 2015
STAKEHOLDERS in Akwa Ibom State have rejected the plan to site of a nuclear power plant in the state.

Instead, they called on the Federal Government to partner with the state at ensuring that, the independent power plant is put to maximum use for the benefit of all.

Speaking at a press conference in Uyo, the state capital, they wondered that, if the International Atomic Energy Agency [IAEA] had warned that, Nigeria was nor ripe to handle nuclear issues for now, the country would insist in venturing into it knowing the dangers associated with it.

The stakeholders include, Atuekong Idongesit Nkanga, Senators Anietie Okon, Emmanuel Ibokessien, Effiong Bob, Chief Nduese Essien, Dr. Asuquo Usoro and Mr. Larry Essien amongst others.

Speaking on their behalf, Senator Anietie Okon noted that for the past 40 years, the Federal Government had not sited any industry in the state, stressing that if the government had intended to do so now, it should not be a nuclear power plant with extreme disaster potentials.

Accompanied by the people of Itu Council Area where the said nuclear plant is said would be located, the people stressed that, Akwa Ibom people, nay Nigerians are opposed to the project because of the disastrous consequences always associated with the failure of a nuclear plant.

“After proper examination of the pros and cons of the project, tapping the knowledge of experts on nuclear technology and related disciplines, we had no option than to brace up to oppose to the fullest and say empathically and without any question that it is not welcome in our state.

“Our opposition to the location of the plant in our state is not borne out of ignorance of the benefits of the project, but more because of the peculiar experiences in our country and the disastrous consequences those failures of nuclear plants have brought to even more discerning climes.

“We ask ourselves what the fascination is with the project and what the intensions of the promoters are. These questions are asked bearing in mid that the International Atomic Energy Agency had warned that Nigerian does not possess the right competences to handle nuclear issues. Technical impact assessment at the international level also indicated that nuclear plant is not suitable for Nigeria for now; for obvious reasons,” they asked.

According to them, government should through deliberate efforts explore other means of power generation, which the country is endowed with and should have thought of resorting to nuclear only where all other alternatives had been exhausted.

Besides, they observed that, the country should not feign ignorance of the fact that, even those countries with well thought-out plans for nuclear power, its failure always resulted in monumental disaster with any slightest mistake.

“This is a country not known for taking environmental impact assessment seriously; the slightest false-step in the nuclear project would result in monumental disaster. We do not want that disaster here in our state. It is one of the strongest reasons why the opposition to the location f the plant in our state is emphatic and would remain decisive
source :http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/07/elders-reject-proposed-nuclear-power-plant-in-akwa-ibom/

27 Likes

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Lilimax(f): 4:45pm On Jul 06, 2015
Nuclear gini?

Abbasi mbo!

10 Likes

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 06, 2015
hehehe, Anambra my state in the South East protesting about FG relocation of BH prisoners to Ekwulobia, Akwa-ibom in the south-south protesting about Nuclear plant to be sited in their state, North-east crying over Bokoharam menace in the area, North-west and North-central enjoying juicy positions in the federal cabinet.
choi! Nigeria, Naijiria, nayeria, Naija my country my country

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Laredojohn(m): 4:52pm On Jul 06, 2015
Lilimax:
Nuclear gini?

Abbasi mbo!
lols ... i guess u part of the elders

6 Likes

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Lilimax(f): 4:55pm On Jul 06, 2015
Laredojohn:

lols ... i guess u part of the elders
embarassed
Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 06, 2015
Nice move by the Elders to foil buhari's plan to destabilise the peace loving Biafrans

14 Likes

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by destinysaid(m): 4:56pm On Jul 06, 2015
so nuclear power which could help our epileptic power supply is not good or what?? if they arnt ready let d govt bring it to delta state jor. Good thing dem dey reject. These questions are asked bearing in mid that the International Atomic Energy Agency had warned that Nigerian does not possess the right competences to handle nuclear issues. Technical impact assessment at the international level also indicated that nuclear plant is not suitable for Nigeria for now; for obvious reasons,” they asked. insult of the century, but sadly true embarassed

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Laredojohn(m): 4:56pm On Jul 06, 2015
Lilimax:
embarassed
abi na ...you will have 24hrs power i fits installed in your state

1 Like

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by austinsmat(m): 4:59pm On Jul 06, 2015
now i believe that BUHARI is after SS and SE. boko boys in anambra now this,but with God all his plans will fail

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 06, 2015
destinysaid:
so nuclear power which could help our epileptic power supply is not good or what?? if they arnt ready let d govt bring it to delta state jor. Good thing dem dey reject.

Where do you have the facilities to handle nuclear activities, stopping ordinary fire in self con apartment is hard for Nigeria its nuclear issues you want to handle.

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by victorD3: 5:00pm On Jul 06, 2015
I still want to understand the basis for wanting to site it in Akwa-Ibom State.

6 Likes

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 06, 2015
We need it in south west....

We will manage it

8 Likes

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jul 06, 2015
victorD3:
I still want to understand the basis for wanting to site it in Akwa-Ibom State.

Russia want to partner with Nigeria to build two nuclear plant.

One in kogi state, and another in akwa ibom
Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by ModiKen(m): 5:17pm On Jul 06, 2015
Nigeria isnt ready for a Nuclear power plant.

We cant even avert simple erosion, we want to use nuclear power dat has very dangerous potentials if proper measures are not put on place.

BTW, Russia is just desperate to sell its nuclear power to compensate for its dwindling economy and it has found an "unprepared mugu" in Nigeria.

PMB pls cancel dat nuclear arrangement we never ready for am

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by destinysaid(m): 5:30pm On Jul 06, 2015
BuddahMonk:

Where do you have the facilities to handle nuclear activities, stopping ordinary fire in self con apartment is hard for Nigeria its nuclear issues you want to handle.

yea, buh if we handle it properly, we could be looking at a tremendous gain in power supply,.....buh you are right, sha, nigerians are not competent and responsible enough......yet
Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by destinysaid(m): 5:31pm On Jul 06, 2015
elders dey fear sha, nuclear meltdown and d whole state wey no big b4 go just become radioactive wasteland

1 Like

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by adonbilivit: 5:59pm On Jul 06, 2015
watching.
Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by efilefun(m): 6:00pm On Jul 06, 2015
angry

1 Like

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by ayd91(m): 6:00pm On Jul 06, 2015
It is Expected.
I think their fears are justified.
Akwa-Ibom isn't even suited for that kind of project.

Personally, I would recommend some where around the Northern boarder.
Lesser population, easier damage control, and lower risk impact on the environment. The desert/arid regions is well suited for such risky enterprise. But as a result of Boko Haram activities the North is a NO-NO.

I just feel Nuclear energy is a lazy answer to the power problem we face in Nigeria. Let's wait for us to mature for this. Before the Ruskies push us to our untimely END.

#Nigerian_awakening

9 Likes

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Lildreezy(m): 6:01pm On Jul 06, 2015
lol mbokites dey fear extinction...

its a 50-50 scenario. The benefits of citing this plant in aks are numerous as the place will be opened up for serious commercial activities, and it will save Nigeria a lot of money wasted on gas driven plants. The water from qua iboe can be very useful for the plant especially when disatsers occur, but mehn... if the thing pass be careful, we are talking about the wiping away of some tribes o.

as for me, make aks dey manage the keke dem dey drive o, no go give them escalade wey go take them on auto cruise to hell........mbok.

on a lighter note, the government should go on with it, my first bingo was kidnapped by an aks meat seller, though he denied but I know how the ear of my dog and its neck collar looked like. Let there be peace for dogs in this country..
angry[b]

3 Likes

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by uzo200(m): 6:02pm On Jul 06, 2015
end time
Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by muahmed(m): 6:02pm On Jul 06, 2015
Dahs y we will neva develop
Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by MsTIQ(m): 6:03pm On Jul 06, 2015
Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by liopkol: 6:03pm On Jul 06, 2015
bakjal:
Every Tom, D1ck and Harry thinks they can decide, agree or Not, on government policies of our dear nation.

they can if it put their lives in danger

1 Like

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 06, 2015
Ok

1 Like

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by slap1(m): 6:03pm On Jul 06, 2015
Supported. The consequences of not maintaining this project (which is 80% certain) far outweighs its advantages. We say No.

2 Likes

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by B69U: 6:03pm On Jul 06, 2015
KOGI IS NEXT. THEY MUST REJECT BUHARI EVIL PLANS OR LIVE TO BE SORRY WHEN THEIR LAND BECOME A NUCLEAR WASTE SITE.

4 Likes

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Astutechris(m): 6:04pm On Jul 06, 2015
Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by freedom96: 6:04pm On Jul 06, 2015
Elders be like na nuclear bomb this aboki president wan bring here abi?We reject in holy ghost fire name cheesy

I typed abok.i u con change am to northerner...wetin dey do una?

2 Likes

Re: Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by bakjal(m): 6:04pm On Jul 06, 2015
Every Tom, D1ck and Harry thinks they can decide, agree or Not, on government policies of our dear nation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Buhari Returns To Abuja After London Medical Trip Channels TV / COVID-19: Governor Obaseki Extends Curfew In Edo By 14 Days (Video) / Abdullahi Sule Sacks Tijani Aliyu Over Alleged Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.