Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,229 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! (101247 Views)

What Book Are You Reading Now / No More Room For Love- By Loudest Thoughts / What's The Most Captivating Story You Are Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 07, 2015
peppyluv02:
I have little knowledge of politics too. Barcanista,Truckpusher and the rest you mentioned know better.

They sure do.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:06am On Jul 07, 2015
dearpreye:

Good morning. I bet you will enjoy and appreciate the book. I've become more patient with kids after I read that book. I've even recommended it here to a very good friend of mine. Information is power. Information is health.

History and politics! Two subjects I'm deeply pained I'm not grounded in. I usually look in awe as people like ideykwum, Truckpusher, barcanista, Mogidi, Peppyluv, and others, approach the subject of politics, and decipher the actions and inactions of politicians. I regret having very little knowledge in it.

During my higher Institution days, I usually visit the library to read of great minds like the former US president you talked about. In fact, I never stopped reading one giant US presidential text book. He was indeed a man of intelligence, steel and unparalleled courage.
Good morning, I hope you slept well. I'm not well grounded in Politics and History too as I recently graduated from the University and didn't have time, while in School, to delve into areas unrelated to my course of study.
Please send me soft copies of some nice books you have, excluding novels. Thank you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by hahn(m): 10:07am On Jul 07, 2015
dearpreye:

I've always known that behind most of the funny monikers lie the faces of people who are well grounded in their chosen careers. And that's why I'm also planning to force them open their minds to give us free drinks from their fountain of knowledge.

This place has talents. Brains. Orator. Writers. Just name them. We have them here.

In a few lines,you've dropped glorious words. We are our friends. Surrounding ourselves with great people is sure way to making ourselves great.

Jim Rohn always said YOUR NETWORK DETERMINES YOUR NETWORTH

Very true.

That's why I choose who I "follow" on nairaland. Whenever I open up my "following" page, I'm glad to read comments from enlightened and intelligent people with different interests, views and opinions

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 07, 2015
gensteejay:

Good morning, I hope you slept well. I'm not well grounded in Politics and History too as I recently graduated from the University and didn't have time, while in School, to delve into areas unrelated to my course of study.
Please send me soft copies of some nice books you have, excluding novels. Thank you.

Our academics really interfere with our education. We have a system that tends to narrow one into their chosen field of study alone, if they do not have a deeply curious and inquisitive mind about other subjects of concern. Actually, I'll support everyone having a little knowledge in history and politics. If I could have mine way, I'll influence my kids to favour anything away from Fourier Series and Calculus cheesy....

As soon as I get the copies sir ideykwum has sent to me, I won't hesitate to do same to thee. Thanks for being a part of the dicuss.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:14am On Jul 07, 2015
hahn:

Very true.

That's why I choose who I "follow" on nairaland. Whenever I open up my "following" page, I'm glad to read comments from enlightened and intelligent people with different interests, views and opinions

Nairaland means a whole of different things to different people. It's like a mega supermarket. We choose our items, refuse the needless, and we're good to go.

I think I'm highly favoured to have an array of intelligent and empathic folks I follow. This is a huge library.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 07, 2015
dearpreye:

Our academics really interfere with our education. We have a system that tends to narrow one into their chosen field of study alone, if they do not have a deeply curious and inquisitive mind about other subjects of concern. Actually, I'll support everyone having a little knowledge in history and politics. If I could have mine way, I'll influence my kids to favour anything away from Fourier Series and Calculus cheesy....

As soon as I get the copies sir ideykwum has sent to me, I won't hesitate to do same to thee. Thanks for being a part of the dicuss.

Yeah, the Nigerian education sector is dead and moribund, sadly, our Universities run on old old curricula; but that's a discourse for another day. I also did Fourier Analysis, Calculus, Complex Analysis.......while in School.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 07, 2015
gensteejay:

Good morning, SarahBabyxx. Please could you send me soft copies of In Pursuit of Purpose by Myles Monroe and other nice books, apart from novels. Here's my email: mustaphadedeji@yahoo.com. Thanks ma'am.

Morning sir smiley

I'll try to find soft copies....once I get them I'll send them to you smiley
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 07, 2015
SarahBabyxx:

Morning sir smiley

I'll try to find soft copies....once I get them I'll send them to you smiley
All right.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 07, 2015
gensteejay:

Yeah, the Nigerian education sector is dead and moribund, sadly, our Universities run on old old curricula; but that's a discourse for another day. I also did Fourier Analysis, Calculus, Complex Analysis.......while in School.

No wahala. Our current system is a big hindrance to the students themselves.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by hahn(m): 11:15am On Jul 07, 2015
dearpreye:

No wahala. Our current system is a big hindrance to the students themselves.

And has been so for a while. I lost interest in the education system when I was in JSS1
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 07, 2015
hahn:

And has been so for a while. I lost interest in the education system when I was in JSS1

Can you imagine? It's indeed a talk for another day.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by yorubadelta(f): 11:56am On Jul 07, 2015
dearpreye:

I'm reading One Hundred Years of Solitude
by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

An old, genius, classic wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 07, 2015
yorubadelta:

I'm reading One Hundred Years of Solitude
by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

An old, genius, classic wink

I sometimes ago googled GREATEST BOOKS EVER and the above book came up. I haven't even seen the cover. Is the author still alive? Can you share a thing or two from it?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by yorubadelta(f): 12:12pm On Jul 07, 2015
dearpreye:

I sometimes ago googled GREATEST BOOKS EVER and the above book came up. I haven't even seen the cover. Is the author still alive? Can you share a thing or two from it?

Yea its truly one of the greatest I've come across so far... I'm just 91 pages in btw. The story centers around a family, led by the most frantic and intriguing father/husband who discovers and develops a settlement.. it's set in the earliest of times where places didn't even have names and communities were just newly being formed.

It's very complex.. difficult to explain.. it's about family, dreams, love, murder, ghosts, mystery, witchcraft, adventure...

My favourite character so far is Jose Arcadio Buendia (the father) he's a mad scientist who is so fascinated with the world and seeks to discover mysteries and deeper meaning of life..

Because of the structure of the book, it's not an easy read but definitely for curious minds.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 07, 2015
yorubadelta:

Yea its truly one of the greatest I've come across so far... I'm just 91 pages in btw. The story centers around a family, led by the most frantic and intriguing father/husband who discovers and develops a settlement.. it's set in the earliest of times where places didn't even have names and communities were just newly being formed.

It's very complex.. difficult to explain.. it's about family, dreams, love, murder, ghosts, mystery, witchcraft, adventure...

My favourite character so far is Jose Arcadio Buendia (the father) he's a mad scientist who is so fascinated with the world and seeks to discover mysteries and deeper meaning of life..

Because of the structure of the book, it's not an easy read but definitely for curious minds.

A lot of intrigues and suspense, I suppose. A book remotely close to what you've described above will be Walden, David Thoreau, though it doesn't have the witchcraft and other tough aspects as does the one you're reading. I think I will put it in mind......Sometimes I have more books to read than I do have the time to read them. I love books that talk about family..

Thanks for sharing.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by yorubadelta(f): 3:21pm On Jul 07, 2015
dearpreye:

A lot of intrigues and suspense, I suppose. A book remotely close to what you've described above will be Walden, David Thoreau, though it doesn't have the witchcraft and other tough aspects as does the one you're reading. I think I will put it in mind......Sometimes I have more books to read than I do have the time to read them. I love books that talk about family..

Thanks for sharing.

smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by BobUg28(m): 9:59pm On Jul 07, 2015
dearpreye:

Thanks for sharing. I totally agree with the concept of borrowing from the brilliance of others. Hope I can get it on Google?
[quote author=dearpreye post=35576569]

I'm not sure anyways but you can Google it up or better still check it up on www.goodreads.com perhaps you may get it there. Here is the Hard copy note;

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jul 07, 2015
[quote author=BobUg28 post=35606025][/quote]

Thanks sir. Will do that ASAP.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by ideykwum: 10:33pm On Jul 07, 2015
Sorry, just reading this! It's been that kind of day!! Truly, a life without mission is a tragedy!!

dearpreye:

I just hope I can do appropriate justice to the above words of yours! You've said a lot within a page.

First and foremost, a life without mission is a tragedy. Misson gives a sense of direction and purpose. A colleague recently told me IF YOU CAN'T IN 30 SECONDS WHATEVER YOUR MISSION IS, THEN YOU HAVE NONE..And I agreed with him. Thank God you've found your mission for life. Actually, I've seen a few mentions of Robert Frost and the fact he was a great poet, but I can't recall taking the time to do some digging on him, except after now. I also one to believe Scott Peck got his book's title from the poem by Robert Frost. I may be wrong shaaa cheesy I'll endeavour to get that poem by Frost. I just have to.

No book is a waste; no knowledge is lost. Someday we may use a famous line from a book we've read years ago. You gave a testimony to that. Everyone with some MB can get a book from the Internet. No excuses now. We need to read more and more.... Almost all the aptitude test questions I wrote during my search for job came from books I've read- books that weren't in my particular field of study......I used an Awake material I've read years back to effectively pass my oral interview- though I can't totally eliminate the God Factor. I'm just saying favour is most times closer to the prepared kind.

My profession has a lot of communication in it. We talk almost every time while on the job. Ranging from hazard identification to accident prevention, we talk a lot. We're being paid for talking. cheesy cheesy. Pep talks. You know every na.....

Our wealth of information will come handy someday. We need to store information for the use of today and tomorrow.

Delayed gratification is very crucial. And it's joyful to see you drag the concept into a business context. Anyone who's not disciplined can't make it big in life and business.

I sure will get that poem from Frost. A life without mission and purpose is a mere counting of years. Such a tragedy.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by ideykwum: 10:34pm On Jul 07, 2015
Please send me an email I can send it to! You may also want to check your spam mail!

dearpreye:

Haha haha. It's very good to set realistic goals. We can't do everything. We mustn't do everything.

I have the copy and will endeavour to send it across ASAP!

I'm yet to receive the ones you've sent shaaaa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jul 07, 2015
ideykwum:
Please send me an email I can send it to! You may also want to check your spam mail!

Wow!!! All for free? Just found it in the spam axis. Wonderful materials. I'm so grateful for the money you sent to me grin
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by ideykwum: 10:44pm On Jul 07, 2015
The truth is that we all know about politics! Politics starts from the debate on who gets the biggest piece of meat in the family pot of soup to who runs the local government purse, and perhaps to who rules the world! You do know about politics, but what you (like most of us) may not always know well are the stories and intricacies that lace these multiplicity of political scenarios!

The good news is that our little understanding of the nuances in our tiny political microcosm is consistent in the larger scale, albeit with more grandeur! So, we can all play our role despite the limitations of our understanding!

peppyluv02 you're the Tinubu of your environment, and maybe even a political godmother to some!

peppyluv02:
I have little knowledge of politics too. Barcanista,Truckpusher and the rest you mentioned know better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by ideykwum: 10:50pm On Jul 07, 2015
cheesy! Money indeed! I hope you will find them useful!

dearpreye:

Wow!!! All for free? Just found it in the spam axis. Wonderful materials. I'm so grateful for the money you sent to me grin
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 6:25am On Jul 08, 2015
ideykwum:
cheesy! Money indeed! I hope you will find them useful!

Sure, I will. The titles alone have been inviting enough. Good morning sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by ideykwum: 6:30am On Jul 08, 2015
Good morning bro!!

dearpreye:

Sure, I will. The titles alone have been inviting enough. Good morning sir.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 08, 2015
ideykwum:
Good morning bro!!

Hope you had some cool rest? Thanks for the wealth, once again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by uptoHim(m): 8:34am On Jul 08, 2015
Wonderful thread. I'm a reader. You can take my food, but not my books.

I'm currently re-reading Laws of Success" by Napoleon Hills. And I write too. I'm currently on my second book

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 08, 2015
uptoHim:

I'm currently re-reading Laws of Success" by Napoleon Hills. And I write too. I'm currently on my second book

Very good from you. Books are very important. All we need is already written in books.

Haha. It's takes a lot of courage to write books. Can you share a thing from your fist book?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 9:19am On Jul 08, 2015
uptoHim:

The ability to write. Is it always a gift? Can it be learned? What's the challenges with writing a book?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Christine01(f): 11:04pm On Jul 08, 2015
The Monk who sold his ferrari by Robin Sharma.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 6:23am On Jul 09, 2015
Christine01:
The Monk who sold his ferrari by Robin Sharma.

Good morning.

Could you share some thoughts from within it? Thanks.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by uptoHim(m): 4:19pm On Jul 11, 2015
dearpreye:

The ability to write. Is it always a gift? Can it be learned? What's the challenges with writing a book?

Dearpreye, one of the most intelligent monikers on Nairaland. Thanks!

My opinion!
The ability to write is mainly a gift. The part nature plays here cannot be over rated. Some people are naturally imbued with uncommon literal imagination and word creativity. Truly, majority of writers are predominantly gifted in writing. You have to be cut out for writing to begin and also sustain a prolific writing life. The desire has to be natural to keep you going, and it also has to be stronger than the setbacks that'll come in your way for you not to give up.

But also, writing can be learned. For example, I grew up a loner (a shy boy in a girls sec sch environment where we lived) with only my mother's bookshelf as my only pay-ground. I grew up on those books. I read and read until the desire to reproduce all I had read began to take formation in me. Another example are the journalists - they learn writing.

The ability to write could also be inspired... born out of the desire to impact lives. Majority of human builders/motivators fall into this category. The strong desire to instill their philosophies and principles into the lives of others turn them to writers. Sometimes it could be their personal experiences and the desire to redirect others either to or away from meeting such experiences. Those in this category are mostly story tellers. They may not have great literary skills but the earnestness of their works and the inherent need in man to get into the "secrets" of others or learn from the tragedy(nothing sells like tragedy) of others, bring them renown as writers.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

The Day The World Ended / The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / #my Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.