Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,747 members, 7,802,285 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! (101132 Views)

What Book Are You Reading Now / No More Room For Love- By Loudest Thoughts / What's The Most Captivating Story You Are Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 11, 2015
uptoHim:

Dearpreye, one of the most intelligent monikers on Nairaland. Thanks!

My opinion!
The ability to write is mainly a gift. The part nature plays here cannot be over rated. Some people are naturally imbued with uncommon literal imagination and word creativity. Truly, majority of writers are predominantly gifted in writing. You have to be cut out for writing to begin and also sustain a prolific writing life. The desire has to be natural to keep you going, and it also has to be stronger than the setbacks that'll come in your way for you not to give up.

But also, writing can be learned. For example, I grew up a loner (a shy boy in a girls sec sch environment where we lived) with only my mother's bookshelf as my only pay-ground. I grew up on those books. I read and read until the desire to reproduce all I had read began to take formation in me. Another example are the journalists - they learn writing.

The ability to write could also be inspired... born out of the desire to impact lives. Majority of human builders/motivators fall into this category. The strong desire to instill their philosophies and principles into the lives of others turn them to writers. Sometimes it could be their personal experiences and the desire to redirect others either to or away from meeting such experiences. Those in this category are mostly story tellers. They may not have great literary skills but the earnestness of their works and the inherent need in man to get into the "secrets" of others or learn from the tragedy(nothing sells like tragedy) of others, bring them renown as writers.

Thanks for the brilliant message. I've never seen myself as a writer though I've always managed to stitch words together in a bid to make some sense.

I indeed believe writing can be and is a gift. Though I used to believe again that it may also be learned. I've read articles from gifted writers that made me to pay more attention to their ability than even the messages they seek to convey. I've met a few of them here on Nairaland. Indeed, writing, like most skills, can be a gift.

It can also be learned. Agreed. Almost all things in life can be learned. But I still believe the gifted writer is mikes ahead of those who learned the art. It's always easy to differentiate between the two. For instance, the piano, in which I'm still an amateur, has been blessed with otherworldly folks like Mozart, Chopin, etc, whose natural ability no learner has been able to meet or surpass.

Inspiration. Also true. I've never loved writing. I only starting developing interest in it when it became obvious I must drop a comment or two on Facebook or other social media. My desire to always positively criticise evil and bad governance led me to start paying more attention to the art, though I've never and will never consider myself a writer.

So all your points are perfectly in order. Thanks a lot for your message.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by uptoHim(m): 5:16pm On Jul 11, 2015
dearpreye:

Very good from you. Books are very important. All we need is already written in books.

Haha. It's takes a lot of courage to write books. Can you share a thing from your fist book?

Time, finance, criticisms, were my major challenges. I had to become my own motivator and number one fan. And I had to learn to close all doors to procrastination. My maxim became, "just do it". Whether it was a chance impression that just flashed through my mind or a one liner I could pick out from a good read, I would just remind myself my "just do it" maxim, and I would immediately get on my table and start writing.

You see, procrastination is every writers enemy. It pushes the book away from you, from missing one or two writing sessions to finally abandoning the work. It rubs you every of your present writing moments until your writing future is gone. It tells you later, next time, after, until the desire dies. Just do it, which I am grateful to Nike for, was my defence against procrastination.

How did I come about my "just do it" maxim? I was the editor of my school's SUG Mag/newspaper. There was this article I had to write, and I was in a limbo on what to write. My time-line was 5 days. On the 4th day, without having done anything beyond just some occasional flash thoughts, I reluctantly dragged myself to my table. For some minutes, I just sat there, empty and confused. Then a quote flashed through my mind, and I began. Little by little, one sentence after another, ideas came pouring down. That day, I wrote an article everyone talked about till I graduated. It then dawned on me that the best a writer can do is to just write. Get on your desk, even if you don't seem to have any idea of what to put down, just sit there. It will surprise you how much ideas would run down your mind. And the more you write, the more you can write. Life's reward to us for doing something, is the ability to do it more and even better. Just start. As you do, the more you can do.

N/B
For one to be a good writer, one has to be a good reader.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 11, 2015
uptoHim:

Time, finance, criticisms, were my major challenges. I had to become my own motivator and number one fan. And I had to learn to close all doors to procrastination. My maxim became, "just do it". Whether it was a chance impression that just flashed through my mind or a one liner I could pick out from a good read, I would just remind myself my "just do it" maxim, and I would immediately get on my table and start writing.

You see, procrastination is every writers enemy. It pushes the book away from you, from missing one or two writing sessions to finally abandoning the work. It rubs you every of your present writing moments until your writing future is gone. It tells you later, next time, after, until the desire dies. Just do it, which I am grateful to Nike for, was my defence against procrastination.

How did I come about my "just do it" maxim? I was the editor of my school's SUG Mag/newspaper. There was this article I had to write, and I was in a limbo on what to write. My time-line was 5 days. On the 4th day, without having done anything beyond just some occasional flash thoughts, I reluctantly dragged myself to my table. For some minutes, I just sat there, empty and confused. Then a quote flashed through my mind, and I began. Little by little, one sentence after another, ideas came pouring down. That day, I wrote an article everyone talked about till I graduated. It then dawned on me that the best a writer can do is to just write. Get on your desk, even if you don't seem to have any idea of what to put down, just sit there. It will surprise you how much ideas would run down your mind. And the more you write, the more you can write. Life's reward to us for doing something, is the ability to do it more and even better. Just start. As you do, the more you can do.

N/B
For one to be a good writer, one has to be a good reader.

JUST DO IT!!!!!!

I won't finish listing what things I've lost to indecision and procrastination. In three paragraphs,you've written a book. I can use them as a motivational talk for 2 hours.

I also think some of my best articles have come to me from a blank mind, not knowing what to write or even where to begin. But somehow after a while, the thought would come in torrents and I just inked them down.

Writers are readers. Totally agreed.

Thanks for sharing this experience. You wrote fro experience, not knowledge. I see you struggling to stop because you're just in your natural habitat.

Just keep it up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by uptoHim(m): 10:45pm On Jul 13, 2015
dearpreye:

JUST DO IT!!!!!!

I won't finish listing what things I've lost to indecision and procrastination. In three paragraphs,you've written a book. I can use them as a motivational talk for 2 hours.

I also think some of my best articles have come to me from a blank mind, not knowing what to write or even where to begin. But somehow after a while, the thought would come in torrents and I just inked them down.

Writers are readers. Totally agreed.

Thanks for sharing this experience. You wrote fro experience, not knowledge. I see you struggling to stop because you're just in your natural habitat.

Just keep it up.

Yeah, thanks man!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 13, 2015
uptoHim:

Yeah, thanks man!

You're indeed welcome, my brother. God bless your soul and endeavours! Keep the ink flowing. You're a blessing to our generation!

1 Like

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Horlawale1(m): 12:45pm On Jul 14, 2015
SECRET
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Afrocatalyst: 12:45pm On Jul 14, 2015
Mastery by Robert greene

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by ik4life: 12:47pm On Jul 14, 2015
An insight into nigeria by Dr nwafor orizu

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by freeage7(m): 12:47pm On Jul 14, 2015
Am done reading "street lawyer" by John Grisham. Great book.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by zicoraads: 12:48pm On Jul 14, 2015
There was a Country-Chinua Achebe

Achebe was a great story teller. Although, his account of the war and his thoughts on Nigeria are somewhat selfish. The man was a Biafran up to the very end. Good book though, really good!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by ShakurM(m): 12:50pm On Jul 14, 2015
surelove:
Law of Attraction by Micheal J. Losier
Hi, u got the pdf?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Koolking(m): 12:50pm On Jul 14, 2015
I don't read books. They represent people's personal opinions. I detest when people's try to force their opinions down my throat.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jul 14, 2015
I am reading the New World Translation of The Bible. The message is about God's Sovereignty.

www.aftatech.com

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Truckpusher(m): 12:50pm On Jul 14, 2015
I'm currently reading the Koran.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by ShakurM(m): 12:50pm On Jul 14, 2015
Afrocatalyst:
Mastery by Robert greene
Brother, u get the pdf?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by pdf90(m): 12:50pm On Jul 14, 2015
Currently reading the Animal farm .. read it b4 but that was a long time ago .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 14, 2015
The witness by Sandra brown

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 14, 2015
pdf90:

Can you a brief summary for us?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by SamAfrik(m): 12:52pm On Jul 14, 2015
History of the the Yorubas by Samuel Johnson. A great book indeed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by samross(m): 12:52pm On Jul 14, 2015
i only read my bible and sport magazine

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 14, 2015
mZsleeq:
The witness by Sandra brown

Wanna share some poignant lines from within it?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by McLove(m): 12:53pm On Jul 14, 2015
Is there anyone who wouldn't mind to give out any book he/she is done reading?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by ahamonyeka(m): 12:53pm On Jul 14, 2015
Ikebe super

Infact s**x on my mind winkIkebe super

Infact s**x on my mind
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by khalhokage(m): 12:53pm On Jul 14, 2015
The Martian, Funny and Scientifically accurate.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by uracefriend(m): 12:53pm On Jul 14, 2015
I am currently reading Joy to the Wise by Charles Kpandei...and my bible as usual.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 14, 2015
samross:
i only read my bible and sport magazine

Share and run commentary on a choice verse, please....

This book of the law. ...
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by ajepako(f): 12:54pm On Jul 14, 2015
Jackie Collins: Deadly Embrace..

The best! Unputdownable!

I strongly recommend it..
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by khalhokage(m): 12:54pm On Jul 14, 2015
McLove:
Is there anyone who wouldn't mind to give out any book he/she is done reading?

If you have a smartphone, you can read most of these books for free.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 14, 2015
pdf90:

I've never finished reading that book.....I learned the George Orwell was a false name of the author. Can you give us his real name?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by sussybabe(f): 12:56pm On Jul 14, 2015
Am currently reading secrets by Blaine Yorgason and Sunny Oaks. Powerfully and poetically written the book is a must for all who have Been touched by the ragged hand of abuse or who want to be supportive of someone who has been. A book based on true experiences.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jul 14, 2015
ajepako:
Jackie Collins: Deadly Embrace..

The best! Unputdownable!

I strongly recommend it..

Strong title. What's it all about?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

The Day The World Ended / The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / #my Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.