Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,995 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:49 AM

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! - Literature (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! (101245 Views)

What Book Are You Reading Now / No More Room For Love- By Loudest Thoughts / What's The Most Captivating Story You Are Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by ZUBY77(m): 6:14pm On Sep 22, 2015
dearpreye:

Hey, bro. Good afternoon.

Which of the ebook readers do you use?

UB reader for Android..
Kindle for Windows.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by BobUg28(m): 6:19pm On Sep 22, 2015
ZUBY77:

Its called "A Painted House".

Yea, nice book from John.
Have it in my ebook reader.

Okay, thanks for the correction. I have emend it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Samguine: 9:46pm On Oct 08, 2015
Tim LaHaye : Why You Act The Way You Do. The book is a classic. Teaching one about the four temperaments, combinations, strengths and weaknesses and how you can harness them to be a better person. It's not only an eye opener, it's also a mind opener cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by hahn(m): 11:21pm On Oct 08, 2015
Samguine:
Tim LaHaye : Why You Act The Way You Do. The book is a classic. Teaching one about the four temperaments, combinations, strengths and weaknesses and how you can harness them to be a better person. It's not only an eye opener, it's also a mind opener cheesy

I love this book. It has enabled me understand people better and now everyone seems so predictable.

It has also enabled me understand myself better.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 6:40am On Oct 09, 2015
hahn:

I love this book. It has enabled me understand people better and now everyone seems so predictable.

It has also enabled me understand myself better.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 09, 2015
At the moment I'm STUDYING Napoleon Hill's THINK AND GROW RICH. I'm on the 6th Chapter- Imagination.

A quote from this chapter.

'' God seems to throw Himself on the side of the man who KNOWS EXACTLY what he wants, if he is DETERMINED to get JUST THAT.

It's another classic on personal development and self growth.

Everyone should endeavour to read it.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by tpiander: 7:13am On Oct 09, 2015
Have you ever read the bible?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 09, 2015
tpiander:
Have you ever read the bible?

For a Christian, it's just normal to drink from that spring of life every time. Joshua 1.8
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by tpiander: 7:53am On Oct 09, 2015
dearpreye:

For a Christian, it's just normal to drink from that spring of life every time. Joshua 1.8

That's not what I asked.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 8:11am On Oct 09, 2015
tpiander:

That's not what I asked.

Your question was vague; I could not answer it.

See it again.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 09, 2015
Attitude is everything-Keith Harrell

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 9:24am On Oct 09, 2015
TyHadebimpe:
Attitude is everything-Keith Harrell

Truly, attitude is EVERYTHING. It was the first book I read on my journey to happiness, self development and progress.

I remember the last time I got engrossed with my phone at the airport and missed my flight. I was so shocked and angry, but all that stopped immediately I recalled I could determine my attitude. I rescheduled the flight, though I incurred a few additional thousands, and landed my destination a couple of hours later.

Again, one day a colleague- a junior for that matter- told me openly that he didn't like me. He said it in the control room in the midst of quite a number of persons. My reply shocked him. I told him I was so happy he was courageous and honest enough to have openly said that; that I appreciated his candor and that he would earn deepest respect, and shall be my friend for life. Guess what? He was so shocked and embarrassed at my response. When I invited him over to the office to tell me the reasons why he didn't like me, he couldn't say anything. Instead, he appreciated my mature response and gave me a huge hug. No one can make me sad ANY MORE; that's my responsibility.

Attitude is everything. We're largely responsible for our happiness and destiny.

Thanks for your comment. Have a great day.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:25am On Oct 09, 2015
dearpreye:

Truly, attitude is EVERYTHING. It was the first book I read on my journey to happiness, self development and progress.

I remember the last time I got engrossed with my phone at the airport and missed my flight. I was so shocked and angry, but all that stopped immediately I recalled I could determine my attitude. I rescheduled the flight, though I incurred a few additional thousands, and landed my destination a couple of hours later.

Again, one day a colleague- a junior for that matter- told me openly that he didn't like me. He said it in the control room in the midst of quite a number of persons. My reply shocked him. I told him I was so happy he was courageous and honest enough to have openly said that; that I appreciated his candor and that he would earn deepest respect, and shall be my friend for life. Guess what? He was so shocked and embarrassed at my response. When I invited him over to the office to tell me the reasons why he didn't like me, he couldn't say anything. Instead, he appreciated my mature response and gave me a huge hug. No one can make me sad ANY MORE; that's my responsibility.

Attitude is everything. We're largely responsible for our happiness and destiny.

Thanks for your comment. Have a great day.

You too. Our attitude reflects who we are, truly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 09, 2015
TyHadebimpe:

You too. Our attitude reflects who we are, truly.

Indeed. Thank you!
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by decisive(m): 8:19pm On Oct 09, 2015
I have read lots of inspirational books. They are not my favourites anyway. I have just concluded a book titled: A Choice of Enemies:America confronts Middle East by Lawrence Freedman.
It is very informative. It talks about the volatility of Middle East,how the region has always been the albatross of the super powers. The influence of Moscow on the region,and how the region defeated Russia.
It also explained how The Washington was drafted into the slippery politics of oil,relifion and self recognition of the Arabs. It important to note that the more the US tried to foster peace the harder she fell and the more sinister the US appeared. The politics defeated virtually all US presidents from President Ford.
You can easily deduce that third world war will undoubtedly come from Middle East,it will a clash of civilisation,a fight on different interpretation of freedoms. Without,Isreal crises,Middle East would have been peaceful but US sympathy for Israel derobes US of an unbiased umpire and it makes her an object of attack.
More revealing is the death of Saddam Hussein. Though,he was bullish,but it was a case of calling a dog bad name to hang it.
Freedman did an investigative job,equipped with facts and evidences,he writes the book in a compulsive way.
Get a copy. Its only 540 pages of well documented fact with analytical expertise.

1 Like

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by AfricanApple(f): 4:37pm On Oct 10, 2015
government of Nigeria by A.O Ojo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 4:42pm On Oct 10, 2015
AfricanApple:
government of Nigeria by A.O Ojo

Interesting. Do you mind sharing a sentence or a short paragraph with us?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 4:51pm On Oct 10, 2015
uptoHim:

Dearpreye, one of the most intelligent monikers on Nairaland. Thanks!

My opinion!
The ability to write is mainly a gift. The part nature plays here cannot be over rated. Some people are naturally imbued with uncommon literal imagination and word creativity. Truly, majority of writers are predominantly gifted in writing. You have to be cut out for writing to begin and also sustain a prolific writing life. The desire has to be natural to keep you going, and it also has to be stronger than the setbacks that'll come in your way for you not to give up.

But also, writing can be learned. For example, I grew up a loner (a shy boy in a girls sec sch environment where we lived) with only my mother's bookshelf as my only pay-ground. I grew up on those books. I read and read until the desire to reproduce all I had read began to take formation in me. Another example are the journalists - they learn writing.

The ability to write could also be inspired... born out of the desire to impact lives. Majority of human builders/motivators fall into this category. The strong desire to instill their philosophies and principles into the lives of others turn them to writers. Sometimes it could be their personal experiences and the desire to redirect others either to or away from meeting such experiences. Those in this category are mostly story tellers. They may not have great literary skills but the earnestness of their works and the inherent need in man to get into the "secrets" of others or learn from the tragedy(nothing sells like tragedy) of others, bring them renown as writers.

When first I read the above message of yours, I thought I fully grasped the import of the message, but reading it once again this afternoon reinforced its import more, especially with your last paragraph.

I'm currently foraying into motivational speaking and personal development. In the past months I've soaked up such materials and videos on the subject that I appear inundated with the relevant skills and knowledge needed to succeed and thrive in the field. At the same time, the significant improvements I've witnessed in MY life are impressing on my heart the desire to write a book. I believe every human has atleast ONE book in them.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 10, 2015
uptoHim:
Wonderful thread. I'm a reader. You can take my food, but not my books.

I'm currently re-reading Laws of Success" by Napoleon Hills. And I write too. I'm currently on my second book

Hmmm. ....I just downloaded that book a few hours ago. It's a HUGE material but I'm sure the rewards will far outweigh the time and efforts needed to digest a book of such volume.

I'll be glad if you could train me on how to write a book. I'm sure I have at least one in me. Thanks.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by AfricanApple(f): 5:10pm On Oct 10, 2015
dearpreye:

Interesting. Do you mind sharing a sentence or a short paragraph with us?
REASONS FOR THE SEPARATION OF POWERS:
The basic reason for the separation of powers is to ensure liberty and freedom in the society, for, if powers should be consolidated in the hands of one person or a group of persons it naturally leads to tyranny and oppression and such people are likely to run the government for their own interest at the expense of the interests of the society

SOURCES OF REVENUE:
Import duties; export duties; excise duties; income tax; licences.
smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 10, 2015
AfricanApple:
The basic reason for the separation of powers is to ensure liberty and freedom in the society, for, if powers should be consolidated in the hands of one person or a group of persons it naturally leads to tyranny and oppression and such people are likely to run the government for their own interest at the expense of the interests of the society

SOURCES OF REVENUE:
smiley

Thanks for the time. Its MY belief that separation of powers, as far as our system us concerned, isn't actually practised though it exists in principle.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by herald9: 6:01pm On Oct 10, 2015
AfricanApple:

SOURCES OF REVENUE:
smiley
LOL. Have you switched to political science?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by tpiander: 8:20pm On Oct 10, 2015
dearpreye:

Your question was vague; I could not answer it.

See it again.

have you ever read the bible.

what is vague about the question and why do you find it impossible to answer?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 10, 2015
tpiander:

have you ever read the bible.

what is vague about the question?

I hardly skip a day. It's just about normal that Christians read their bibles; that's why it's NOT mentioned here.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 8:49pm On Oct 10, 2015
herald9:

You're still on this site? cheesy
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 8:53pm On Oct 10, 2015
dearpreye:

I hardly skip a day. It's just about normal that Christians read their bibles; that's why it's NOT mentioned here.
Respect you, although we do not share same political views. Happy Weekend. Nice thread.

One of the suggested links led me to this thread. I created a similar one on the religion section. I'd suggest you read 'Africa: Altered States, Ordinary Miracle' by Richard Dowden. The foreword was written by Chinua Achebe; I hope this is enough to force you to hunt for this book. Not finished it yet, but it's been such a revelation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by herald9: 8:57pm On Oct 10, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
You're still on this site? cheesy
LOL. Yes sir.
But I'll be back fully after exams.
How's Lucifer? And what is his plans for earthlings like us? cheesy
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by herald9: 9:01pm On Oct 10, 2015
ZUBY77:

UB reader for Android.. Kindle for Windows.
UB reader... I'll certainly download this.
Are their books for sale?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 10, 2015
herald9:

LOL. Yes sir.

But I'll be back fully after exams.

How's Lucifer? And what is his plans for earthlings like us? cheesy
Your man Lb was around a week or two back. JACKbizzle i think.
Lucifer is with the Martians now. tongue
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 10, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Respect you, although we do not share same political views. Happy Weekend. Nice thread.

One of the suggested links led me to this thread. I created a similar one on the religion section. I'd suggest you read 'Africa:Africa: Altered States, Ordinary Miracle' by Richard Dowden. The foreword was written by Chinua Achebe; I hope this is enough to force you to hunt for this book. Not finished it yet, but it's been such a revelation.

Hahaha.....Yes. We don't share similar political views; I'm even withdrawing from that politics section gradually.....It's creating unnecessary enemies for me. LOL!

Trust me I will hunt that book and secure it. I just have to get it. Thanks my boss for contributing to the thread
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by ZUBY77(m): 6:16am On Oct 11, 2015
herald9:

UB reader... I'll certainly download this.

Are their books for sale?

No.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by AfricanApple(f): 8:33am On Oct 11, 2015
herald9:

political science ke, no ooo. just reading it jare

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (Reply)

The Day The World Ended / The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / #my Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.