Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,351 members, 7,808,228 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? (10016 Views)

For Fun - Popular Contributors To Religion Section / Christianity; The Religion Not Founded By Jesus / Why Nairalanders Lose Faith On The Religion Section Easily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by UyiIredia(m): 1:35am On Jul 07, 2015
I learned that there are Nigrian atheists (and deists), I used to wonder about it. I learned more about African traditional religion from PAGAN9JA and macof. I learnt that tithe is not compulsory from DrummaBoy and frosbel. I learned a bit more about Mormons and Catholics. I got to see some inspiring posts from imhotep and benodic. I learnt some more about Islam from the Islam For Muslims section though I rarely visit it
, I just read their version of an FAQ.

What have you learned from the Religion section and how has it influenced you ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by kristen12(f): 2:26am On Jul 07, 2015
Nothing!!!
Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by SIRANDREWS: 10:28am On Jul 07, 2015
It was the first place I met someone who didn't believe God existed. I was amazed and thought it was a joke.

but right now, in fact since the last two years, I've been an atheist !!

Hallelujah!!!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by plaetton: 1:59pm On Jul 07, 2015
SIRANDREWS:
It was the first place I met someone who didn't believe God existed. I was amazed and thought it was a joke.

Hallelujah!!!

Are you serious?
Lol.

A lady whom I had known for a few years recently invited me for some special program at her church. I politely declined. She kept insisting and kept asking why. I kept dodging the question because I knew what it was going to lead us.
After much heckling, I finally told her that I was an atheist.
This lady almost fainted. Lol.
She had never met an atheist in her Life. She didn't even believe it was possible not to believe in god and still be alive.

Thereafter, the preaching and arguments began. I went gentle with her. But by the time the debate was over (she gave up), she looked like someone who had had an encounter with a scary alien from another planet.

What is so interesting now is the way she looks at me. Deep, awe and for some of reason, with greater respect.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by joywendy(f): 2:10pm On Jul 07, 2015
I have learnt that there are a lot of hypocritics in the religious section who are also very ignorant and would do anything to undermine people of other beliefs.

Really the religious section actually made me see things from a whole new angle. Though I hardly comment there.

2 Likes

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by menesheh(m): 2:17pm On Jul 07, 2015
SIRANDREWS:

Hallelujah!!!

BOLDED
Same are happening to millions cum billions of suppose-be atheists all over the world but due to they've never heard of the opposite idea of religion, they stick to the religions of their parents and the society they find themselves.

1 Like

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by urheme: 2:58pm On Jul 07, 2015
Learned a lot from The monika sonoflucifer, he gave me exposure on religion being a belief system and nothingmore, he choose satan as his god, that really click something in my mind, i no longer see him any different from the christian or other religious adherers

Kay17, yes kay17, this being is very intelligent,
I hold a lot of respect for her especially when i found out lately that she is a female, she taught me to be mild and neutral, don't be here and don't be there, look critically, and look critically again.
She has a sound mind as far as religion is concern, she taught me constructive criticism grin not flattering grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by plaetton: 3:02pm On Jul 07, 2015
menesheh:

BOLDED
Same are happening to millions cum billions of suppose-be atheists all over the world but due to they've never heard of the opposite idea of religion, they stick to the religions of their parents and the society they find themselves.

I tell you.
The funny thing is that atheists don't go around preaching their worldview.

Some years back, A similar confrontation with a brother inlaw, who was a seminarian at the time, completely shocked him into rediscovering his true self.
After a heated debate with me on religion, which he taught he had won, I was surprised to see Him at my house a few days later, to borrow some of my books.

After a few months of great internal battles, he finally said goodbye to religion entirely.
In all that time, I never said anything else to encourage or push him over.

The debate he had with me had sown some seeds and apparently awoken a part of him that had been suppressed by FEAR.

6 Likes

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by dalaman: 3:14pm On Jul 07, 2015
plaetton:

Are you serious?
Lol.
A lady whom I had known for a few years recently invited me for some special program at her church. I politely declined. She kept insisting and kept asking why. I kept dodging the question because I knew what it was going to lead us.
After much heckling, I finally told her that I was an atheist.
This lady almost fainted. Lol.
She had never met an atheist in her Life. She didn't even believe it was possible not to believe in god and still be alive.
Thereafter, the preaching and arguments began. I went gentle with her. But by the time the debate was over (she gave up), she looked like someone who had had an encounter with a scary alien from another planet.
What is so interesting now is the way she looks at me. Deep, awe and for some of reason, with greater respect.

The first time I meet an atheist was such an experience. I actually thought I had meet the devil. I couldn't understand how some one will ever open his mouth and say that there is no God. How can any one ever say such a thing i thought . Isn't it obvious that God is alive and everywhere? I was shell shocked because I had never sat down and thought about God's existence . I quickly ran away from the guy. I was forced to sit down and ponder on God's existence for the first time in my life by reading the debates between the theist and atheist here and 5 years down the line am now an atheist. 5 years ago if you ever told me that I'll be an atheist some day I'll run away from you because i didn't even know what it means. Atheism to me was equal to being dead. How can anyone ever say that my sweet Jesus isn't real. It's actually very funny what indoctrination does to our minds.

10 Likes

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 07, 2015
The most bias section.....

But i've learnt alot from it though
Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by SIRANDREWS: 3:35pm On Jul 07, 2015
menesheh:

BOLDED
even having read through the dictionary when in primary school, I had never come across the word "atheism" nor it's meaning, so you could imaging my shock when an ordinary human would say there is no god.

but as a skeptic and free thinker, it was only a matter of time.
I first transited to the Christianity is not a religion group, then the Jesus follower, but still no other way to defend the all-merciful god of the bible. so after research upon research, arguments with anyone who cared to listen including my pastor, I knew where I was headed.

NL atheists really helped. Mr Plaetton, Logic boy, muskeeto etc

thanks guys!!

many more converts needed!!!!!

7 Likes

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by SIRANDREWS: 3:36pm On Jul 07, 2015
plaetton:

I tell you.
The funny thing is that atheists don't go around preaching their worldview.

Some years back, A similar confrontation with a brother inlaw, who was a seminarian at the time, completely shocked him into rediscovering his true self.
After a heated debate with me on religion, which he taught he had won, I was surprised to see Him at my house a few days later, to borrow some of my books.

After a few months of great internal battles, he finally said goodbye to religion entirely.
In all that time, I never said anything else to encourage or push him over.

The debate he had with me had sown some seeds and apparently awoken a part of him that had been suppressed by FEAR.

I'm damn serious.

I'm probably more atheist than u are.!!!
Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by SIRANDREWS: 3:42pm On Jul 07, 2015
menesheh:

BOLDED
Same are happening to millions cum billions of suppose-be atheists all over the world but due to they've never heard of the opposite idea of religion, they stick to the religions of their parents and the society they find themselves

in my case, I never thought about the other side of religion. just go about our normal church rituals and that was it.

now, whenever I'm in any church, I wonder how d fvck did they sell me this sh!t. time I was supposed to use for more productive things, I was busy screaming to the empty heavens.

what a pity!!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by urheme: 4:41pm On Jul 07, 2015
Quite a lot.

Sir pleatton taught me how unrealistic religion is,
Macof and pagan9ja made me know that even the pagans are enlighten and well soffisticated.

The being called rationalmind is a wonderful being, something he or she imbibe in me is to have strong reasons for doing or enguaging in a thing, i will never forget that post.

Olaadegbe don't know if i spelt the name correct, made me believe the Bible is a trick book, this man knows where every word is in the bible, believe me he can make voluminous claims for his faith.

Beneditamus and italo taught me that no matter what i must stand firmly on my ground.

More comming

4 Likes

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 07, 2015
I have learnt the extent to which people would go to preserve the image of their god!

2 Likes

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by italo: 5:11pm On Jul 07, 2015
urheme:
Quite a lot.

Sir pleatton taught me how unrealistic religion is,
Macof and pagan9ja made me know that even the pagans are enlighten and well soffisticated.

The being called rationalmind is a wonderful being, something he or she imbibe in me is to have strong reasons for doing or enguaging in a thing, i will never forget that post.

Olaadegbe don't know if i spelt the name correct, made me believe the Bible is a trick book, this man knows where every word is in the bible, believe me he can make voluminous claims for his faith.

Beneditamus and italo taught me that no matter what i must stand firmly on my ground.

More comming

I thank God that you gained something good from me, even though I have my flaws.

1 Like

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by frank317: 5:13pm On Jul 07, 2015
My dad is a pastor and I was brought up in a deep religious deeper life kind of way. I always hated church and was always fascinated by atheistic comments. Yet I never thought I would ever doubt the existence of a creator.
I am a deep thinker and a fiction writer... I thought religious stories would make nice interesting stories hence my stories always betrays this thought.
Religious section opened my eyes and paved the way for my thoughts. Here I meet intelligent atheist who are constructive in their way of talking and who actually make use of their brains.
I also met very few intelligent theists which is quite interesting.
Finally... Nigeria is a crazy country where even the well educated behave like adamant illiterate. Nairaland religious section is my escape from the stupidity of Nigerians who think just believing in God makes u perfect hence they wallow in ignorance and accept their sufferings while they die slowly. Here u find people who reason and actually make use of their brains which is a great relief from the delusion people around me swim in. Now I miss pple like crexx, logic boy, amanfrommars, etc. Well the new once are doing perfectly great too.
And ohhh.... Theist just help make me understand that a disbelieve in Gos makes perfect sense. How? Read such silly questions like...how are u sure God don't exist? Or how did u come to this world??

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by joywendy(f): 5:19pm On Jul 07, 2015
Kay17 is female shocked shocked wow that babe get sense die!

So many stories of people turning athiest hehe...mmm

* continues to chew popcorn*
Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by urheme: 5:19pm On Jul 07, 2015
italo:
I thank God that you gained something good from me, even though I have my flaws.

Sir you have a lot to offer, you are sound and compose believe me. grin

1 Like

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by urheme: 5:21pm On Jul 07, 2015
joywendy:
Kay17 is female shocked shocked wow that babe get sense die!

So many stories of people turning athiest hehe...mmm

* continues to chew popcorn*
grin grin

Share popcorn nau

And cokacola
Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jul 07, 2015
Being an atheist no be here o.
How can someone completely overrule the existence of god.

Can an atheist explain how MIRACLES happen, that's the only thing that is holding me from being an atheist!
Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by joywendy(f): 5:52pm On Jul 07, 2015
urheme:

grin grin

Share popcorn nau

And cokacola
Lol...you are free cheesy

*hands him some popcorn*

Not cokacola abeg chapman hehe grin

2 Likes

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by joywendy(f): 5:53pm On Jul 07, 2015
Senator1974:

Can an atheist explain how MIRACLES happen, that's the only thing that is holding me from being an atheist!

Please create your own thread for that,don't come here to derail the thread.

Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by urheme: 5:55pm On Jul 07, 2015
joywendy:

Lol...you are free cheesy

*hands him some popcorn*

Not cokacola abeg chapman hehe grin

Thanks but
Is a she actually grin
Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by joywendy(f): 5:58pm On Jul 07, 2015
urheme:

Thanks but
Is a she actually grin

Oh my bad embarassed

*hands her some popcorn and chapman* wink

1 Like

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by urheme: 6:13pm On Jul 07, 2015
Needed to add that there were some post and question on the religion section that made me really think.

Some of them give me headache when i ponder on them eg.

Where did noah keep the termite and the wood peckers in the ark ... I began to wonder that there was a male and female wale likwise an anaconda with its partner.

Why did God create something as dangerous as a mosquito

A comparism between the christian heaven and the moslem heaven; cheesy the comments here where insane........i finally concluded there was no hell or heaven at all, since then, i have problem with religion or any belief system.

1 Like

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jul 07, 2015
urheme:
Learned a lot from The monika sonoflucifer, he gave me exposure on religion being a belief system and nothingmore, he choose satan as his god, that really click something in my mind, i no longer see him any different from the christian or other religious adherers

Kay17, yes kay17, this being is very intelligent,
I hold a lot of respect for her especially when i found out lately that she is a female, she taught me to be mild and neutral, don't be here and don't be there, look critically, and look critically again.
She has a sound mind as far as religion is concern, she taught me constructive criticism grin not flattering grin
Ave Satanas.

1 Like

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by johnydon22(m): 6:21pm On Jul 07, 2015
Hahahahaha nice thread. . . Nairaland religion section is fun but many times when you read a post supposedly posted by someone with a brain, you can't help but hit your fore head hard with your palm in utter bewilderment

1 Like

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by johnydon22(m): 6:22pm On Jul 07, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
Ave Satanas.
. . . where went you since?

2 Likes

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by johnydon22(m): 6:23pm On Jul 07, 2015
urheme:
Needed to add that there were some post and question on the religion section that made me really think.

Some of them give me headache when i ponder on them eg.

Where did noah keep the termite and the wood peckers in the ark ... I began to wonder that there was a male and female wale likwise an anaconda with its partner.

Why did God create something as dangerous as a mosquito

A comparism between the christian heaven and the moslem heaven; cheesy the comments here where insane........i finally concluded there was no hell or heaven at all, since then, i have problem with religion or any belief system.

So you are more of agnostic now huh?
Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by johnydon22(m): 6:26pm On Jul 07, 2015
Senator1974:

Have you ever seen an amputated limb grow back when prayed for

why is it that the miracles only happen for cases that are not obvious to be scrutinized?

1 Like

Re: What Have You Learned From The Religion Section ? by UyiIredia(m): 6:27pm On Jul 07, 2015
Kay17 are you actually a lady as people say ?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child / 28 Bible Verses About Love For One Another / What Is The Size Of God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.