Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,934 members, 7,806,704 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:18 PM

How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? (4068 Views)

The Origin Of Urhobo People / The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages / Gorgeous Urhobo Bride From Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 07, 2015
Was travelling yesterday with my mom for some family Meeting, so the bus we entered two people who sat Close to me were speaking The Okpe dialect of urhobo , I was totally lost, I do hear the Uvwie dialect and urhobo bcous i stayed with my mom and she only speak urhobo to me. but when they spoke the okpe dialect I was really lost even my mom too didn't hear what they said.

Just wanna ask my urhobo Peeps here if they hear the okpe dialect or they are in the same shoe with me.

CHM11 was your contributions??
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by CHM11: 3:56pm On Jul 07, 2015
Goodboiyy:
Was travelling yesterday with my mom for some family Meeting, so the bus we entered two people who sat Close to me were speaking The Okpe dialect of urhobo , I was totally lost, I do hear the Uvwie dialect and urhobo bcous i stayed with my mom and she only speak urhobo to me. but when they spoke the okpe dialect I was really lost even my mom too didn't hear what they said.

Just wanna ask my urhobo Peeps here if they hear the okpe dialect or they are in the same shoe with me.

CHM11 was your contributions??
I really can't tell the difference as I've not lived in Delta. My Urhobo is not so strong I am damn proud to be called Urhobo.
Every Okpe man I know is proud to be identified as Urhobo.

1 Like

Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 07, 2015
CHM11:

I really can't tell the difference as I've not lived in Delta. My Urhobo is not so strong I am damn proud to be called Urhobo.
Every Okpe man I know is proud to be identified as Urhobo.

My point here is that I think the Okpe Dialect is the hardest in Urhobo , Followed by Uvwie , my experience thou.

Men @ bolded lolz, Abeg marry Urhobo Girl so she go speak Urhobo to ur Children,nor worry I can teach u, Maybe on a voice note and send to u, well am ain't full Urhobo, but I speak and hear fluently #Singleparents tins BT I nor know itskeri atall
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by CHM11: 10:22pm On Jul 07, 2015
Goodboiyy:

My point here is that I think the Okpe Dialect is the hardest in Urhobo , Followed by Uvwie , my experience thou.

Men @ bolded lolz, Abeg marry Urhobo Girl so she go speak Urhobo to ur Children,nor worry I can teach u, Maybe on a voice note and send to u, well am ain't full Urhobo, but I speak and hear fluently #Singleparents tins BT I nor know itskeri atall
Lol its understandable. We go try dey learn the one we fit learn
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by LKO(m): 8:48pm On Jul 14, 2015
Goodboiyy:

What part of urhobo is ur mum from? Is she uvwie? Most people from the "core urhobo" speaking part of delta, finds it difficult to understand d okpe dialect. But experience uvwie speakers understands okpe. I do understand okpe because of my solid uvwie speaking background, though I can't speak okpe.

Funnily, d okpe and uvwie people understands urhobo, but they may find it hard to speak d urhobo language except those who have mixed up wit d urhobos or stayed in a urhobo speaking area like ughelli, abraka etc

But d udu/ujenwe dialect of urhobo is tough, even people who can speak d urhobo finds it extremely hard to understand udu.
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by Nobody: 6:18am On Jul 15, 2015
LKO:
What part of urhobo is ur mum from? Is she uvwie? Most people from the "core urhobo" speaking part of delta, finds it difficult to understand d okpe dialect. But experience uvwie speakers understands okpe. I do understand okpe because of my solid uvwie speaking background, though I can't speak okpe.

Funnily, d okpe and uvwie people understands urhobo, but they may find it hard to speak d urhobo language except those who have mixed up wit d urhobos or stayed in a urhobo speaking area like ughelli, abraka etc

But d udu/ujenwe dialect of urhobo is tough, even people who can speak d urhobo finds it extremely hard to understand udu.

My mom is from Agbon clan. I hear the uvwie dialect of urhobo a little, cous that were I grew up, But the Okpe chai, That dialect Hard nor b small. 4 sure they understand the Urhobo very well cous they too are urhobo, And during church Mass they use Urhobo Generally not uvwie or Okpe

At d bolded. We have the light And Core Udu/Ujenwe , If they speak the light one I do hear, but wen they start to speak to core once, I hear nothing.

I think The Original Urhobo dialect is fast Taking over All of them.

#God bless the urhobo nation

1 Like

Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by onuwaje(m): 8:14am On Aug 04, 2015
Okpe dialect thick o.. followed by uvwie..

But there's one like that I bayelsa d day I hear am e b lie say na swahili dem speak

1 Like

Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by darlenese(f): 9:53am On Aug 04, 2015
The irony if it is that , the Okpe people understand Urhobo clearly , but the Urhobo can never understand a thing in okpe. grin
#ProudlyOkpe cheesy
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by Nobody: 11:29am On Aug 04, 2015
onuwaje:
Okpe dialect thick o.. followed by uvwie..

But there's one like that I bayelsa d day I hear am e b lie say na swahili dem speak

Waje re u related to Urhobo Too ??

That urhobo in Bayelsa is Ofoni, I think it belong to Ughelli clan. But Okpe, chai, the way I speak urhobo reach I nor understand am
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by onuwaje(m): 11:59am On Aug 04, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Waje re u related to Urhobo Too ??

That urhobo in Bayelsa is Ofoni, I think it belong to Ughelli clan. But Okpe, chai, the way I speak urhobo reach I nor understand am
My mom is from arhavwarien in ughelli south
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Aug 04, 2015
onuwaje:

My mom is from arhavwarien in ughelli south

Lolz I know that place, Is it not that village somehow surrendered by water ? or is it another place ?.

My mom is from Ethiope east axis, as more urhobo than my tribe.

1 tin I can't just explain is y we luv getting married to Urhobo
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 04, 2015
darlenese:
The irony if it is that , the Okpe people understand Urhobo clearly , but the Urhobo can never understand a thing in okpe. grin
#ProudlyOkpe cheesy

Lolz, Which part of urhobo do u understand very well , The only Urhobo dialect u understand is the Uvwie dialect, If I speak my urhobo 4 u en, u won't know much abt wat I said.

Should we give it a try ?
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by onuwaje(m): 3:49pm On Aug 04, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Lolz I know that place, Is it not that village somehow surrendered by water ? or is it another place ?.

My mom is from Ethiope east axis, as more urhobo than my tribe.

1 tin I can't just explain is y we luv getting married to Urhobo
Yea it is
Itsekiri's get married to urhobo a lot and yet they hate us
What an irony
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 04, 2015
darlenese:
#ProudlyOkpe cheesy

Thats not fair
your being partial.
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by darlenese(f): 4:30pm On Aug 04, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Lolz, Which part of urhobo do u understand very well , The only Urhobo dialect u understand is the Uvwie dialect, If I speak my urhobo 4 u en, u won't know much abt wat I said.

Should we give it a try ?

Yes i'm waiting
Bring it on
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by darlenese(f): 4:34pm On Aug 04, 2015
muphasar11:

Thats not fair
your being partial.

Hahhahaahhaha
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 04, 2015
onuwaje:

Yea it is
Itsekiri's get married to urhobo a lot and yet they hate us
What an irony

don't think they hate us, Actually urhobo luv us more than we think, the ijaw re d ones am nt sure about .

I think that warri crisis is still fresh in there mind, i luv urhobo so much.

Have you met any urhobo outside delta ?, the way they will embrace you, welcome u, i think the hate ends in warri
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by onuwaje(m): 5:48pm On Aug 04, 2015
Goodboiyy:

don't think they hate us, Actually urhobo luv us more than we think, the ijaw re d ones am nt sure about .

I think that warri crisis is still fresh in there mind, i luv urhobo so much.

Have you met any urhobo outside delta ?, the way they will embrace you, welcome u, i think the hate ends in warri
Bros d few I dey stay near for ugborikoko.. if u c dia disdain for Omi iwere dem ehn.. Dey think am yoruba sef
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 04, 2015
onuwaje:

Bros d few I dey stay near for ugborikoko.. if u c dia disdain for Omi iwere dem ehn.. Dey think am yoruba sef

lolz, i think that because u re in warri, i met some in lag recently they welcomed me, we all interact with urhobo, one name is ochuko.

During my stay in lag, the yoruba think am 1 of them, if i say ayo, they just rush to say Ayodele or bayo, i always correct them by saying its ayo[b]mike[/b]
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by onuwaje(m): 5:57pm On Aug 04, 2015
Goodboiyy:

lolz, i think that because u re in warri, i met some in lag recently they welcomed me, we all interact with urhobo, one name is ochuko.

During my stay in lag, the yoruba think am 1 of them, if i say ayo, they just rush to say Ayodele or bayo, i always correct them by saying its ayo[b]mike[/b]
Na normalss na outside delta dem go dey from caring. Who dem help
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 04, 2015
darlenese:

Yes i'm waiting
Bring it on

hey just relax, am thinking of 1 hard tin to ask u, nt easy tin make u go rush use Google. #biggrin

biko mudia heymayrah, wo nio' ri
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by darlenese(f): 8:03pm On Aug 04, 2015
Goodboiyy:

hey just relax, am thinking of 1 hard tin to ask u, nt easy tin make u go rush use Google. #biggrin

biko mudia heymayrah, wo nio' ri

Hahaha mi yo'rin

Biko je'ofa rhe, grin
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by fratermathy(m): 8:16pm On Sep 05, 2015
darlenese:

Hahaha mi yo'rin

Biko je'ofa rhe, grin

Omote, Urhobo vwe kodorhi? Gba siemu nana ovi'oyibo vwokeme ;

Ozighe ayin gbeyon
Obo vwo vwre na,
Oyo'bo ri'muemu
Edepha ra'kpo vwo ka rioja
Ozighe ayin gbeyon.

Ona nune ru'rhobo. Gba sio ovi'oyibo ka'vwanre! Vwe omote ro'kpe?
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by darlenese(f): 10:31pm On Sep 05, 2015
fratermathy:

Omote, Urhobo vwe kodorhi? Gba siemu nana ovi'oyibo vwokeme ;

Ozighe ayin gbeyon
Obo vwo vwre na,
Oyo'bo ri'muemu
Edepha ra'kpo vwo ka rioja
Ozighe ayin gbeyon.

Ona nune ru'rhobo. Gba sio ovi'oyibo ka'vwanre! Vwe omote ro'kpe?

Translation

"Mad woman hear this
What you are doing is bad
In the life to come you will suffer
mad woman/wife hear this

Hahahahahspa cheesy
Oya lecturer mark my script
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by fratermathy(m): 11:48pm On Sep 05, 2015
darlenese:

Translation

"Mad woman hear this
mad woman/wife hear this

Hahahahahspa cheesy

Vwo dawvenrin mamor. Meka kudi vwo kevwe me da mlevwe. Asavor oyin vwo'dia?
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by Nobody: 7:42am On Sep 06, 2015
fratermathy:

Vwo dawvenrin mamor. Meka kudi vwo kevwe me da mlevwe. Asavor oyin vwo'dia?

Y u 1 know her house hmmm ? Lolz if u wanna give her anything give her here nt wen u see her... Lolz

U dey find wife Abi Lolz
#Kidding
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by Nobody: 7:44am On Sep 06, 2015
darlenese:

Translation
"Mad woman hear this What you are doing is bad In the life to come you will suffer mad woman/wife hear this
Hahahahahspa cheesy Oya lecturer mark my script
Hmmm, Wor' Da wha rhen '
u tried, clap for urself
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by fratermathy(m): 9:04am On Sep 06, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Y u 1 know her house hmmm ? Lolz if u wanna give her anything give her here nt wen u see her... Lolz

U dey find wife Abi Lolz
#Kidding

cheesy
I like her and her use of her mother tongue. I was just getting friendly. It's not everyday you meet Urhobos who understand Urhobo online, more so a lady.
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by darlenese(f): 12:04pm On Sep 06, 2015
grin grin grin grin
Goodboiyy:

Hmmm, Wor' Da wha rhen '

u tried, clap for urself
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by Osonobrughweson(m): 2:24pm On Mar 14, 2020
Okpe is a language not dialect

1 Like

Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by darfay: 2:42pm On Mar 14, 2020
Osonobrughweson:
Okpe is a language not dialect

Your moniker sounds uvwie, shouldn't they speak for themselves?
Re: How Far Do You Understand The Okpe Dialect Of Urhobo ?? by darfay: 2:43pm On Mar 14, 2020
darlenese:

Translation

"Mad woman hear this
mad woman/wife hear this

Hahahahahspa cheesy

Growing up, did you guys urhobo or okpe @ home?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Two Questions On Igbo's & Ijaw / How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? / Funny - How We Roll In Ibadan (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.