Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,762 members, 7,802,325 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

Elephantiasis: Prevention Is Better Than Cure - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Elephantiasis: Prevention Is Better Than Cure (19455 Views)

Meet Woman With Mysterious Leg Disease, Suspected To Be Elephantiasis / Volcanic Soil Causing Elephantiasis In Western Uganda / Fibroid: Fact, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Elephantiasis: Prevention Is Better Than Cure by obainojazz(m): 12:34pm On Jul 07, 2015
After reading about the boy with the giant hand in a front page topic, I decided to share some few things about elephantiasis.
There is no known cure or vaccine for the treatment of elephantiasis, the most effective method available to control the disease is prevention.
first let's look at the causes
Lymphatic filariasis a.k.a elephantiasis is caused by infection with
parasites classified as nematodes (roundworms) of
the family Filariodidea. There are 3 types of these
thread-like filarial worms:
Wuchereria bancrofti, which is responsible for
90% of the cases
Brugia malayi, which causes most of the
remainder of the cases
B. timori, which also causes the disease.
Adult worms lodge in the lymphatic system and
disrupt the immune system. The worms can live for
an average of 6-8 years and, during their life time,
produce millions of microfilariae (immature larvae)
that circulate in the blood.
Mosquitoes are infected with microfilariae by
ingesting blood when biting an infected host.
Microfilariae mature into infective larvae within the
mosquito. When infected mosquitoes bite people,
mature parasite larvae are deposited on the skin
from where they can enter the body. The larvae
then migrate to the lymphatic vessels where they
develop into adult worms, thus continuing a cycle
of transmission.
Lymphatic filariasis is transmitted by different types
of mosquitoes, for example the Culex mosquito
that is widespread across urban and semi-urban
areas; the Anopheles mainly in rural areas, and
Aedes, mainly in endemic islands in the Pacific.
India has the highest risk but as usual, Nigeria follow join body...so my fellow people, its a fight for everyone.
Prevention is better than cure...
Cc lalasticlala ishilove seun

Help from
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs102/en/
Its not our portion in Jesus name

Re: Elephantiasis: Prevention Is Better Than Cure by jantofubu(m): 12:39pm On Jul 07, 2015
jesu ! Dat guy with big scrotum *passes out.,*
Re: Elephantiasis: Prevention Is Better Than Cure by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jul 07, 2015
Oh my goodness! These people must be going through pains.
Re: Elephantiasis: Prevention Is Better Than Cure by Kingsasian(m): 12:40pm On Jul 07, 2015
Ok
Re: Elephantiasis: Prevention Is Better Than Cure by obainojazz(m): 12:46pm On Jul 07, 2015
scribespad:
Oh my goodness! These people must be going through pains.
I saw a girl with two giant legs...I said damm...no man or woman deserves this...
Re: Elephantiasis: Prevention Is Better Than Cure by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 07, 2015
Really, no one does
obainojazz:
I saw a girl with two giant legs...I said damm...no man or woman deserves this...
Re: Elephantiasis: Prevention Is Better Than Cure by obainojazz(m): 10:07pm On Oct 01, 2015
I am a boy[I am a boy]I am a boy[img]I am a boy
I am a boy[/img]I am a boy
I am a boy

(1) (Reply)

What Is That Habbit/character You Did As A Child But Still Do Now You Are Grown / Osun Workers Resume Strike After Seven Weeks Strike / A Mathematical Approach To Making It In Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.