Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,292 members, 7,807,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

First Recorded Jihad In West Africa - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / First Recorded Jihad In West Africa (2257 Views)

Survey Shows Children Of 8-9 In West Africa Think Boys Are Smarter Than Girls / History Of The Ibos And The Jew In West Africa / West Africa First Three Tier Story Building By Hausa King Muhammad Korau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by kaura5000: 4:33am On Jul 08, 2015
The Battle of Santolo was a decisive battle between the newly declared Kanoan Sultanate and the Animist Hausa Kingdom of Santolo, it was the first recorded Islamic Jihad waged and fought in Sudanic Africa.
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by kaura5000: 4:34am On Jul 08, 2015
In the 1300s Islamic influence from the Mali empire had crept into Hausa land. in 1349 the King of Kano Ali Yaji dissolved the cult of Tsumbubura, the powerful theocratic cult of the Hausa Animist religion, this sparked a wave of rebellion throughout the kingdom. At some point afterwards, the remnant of the high priests of the cult converged on Santolo, an important seat of Hausa Animism. Invigorated by religious zeal the new 'Sultan' with the support of Wangara Muslims descended on Santolo where an epic battle was fought.
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by kaura5000: 4:35am On Jul 08, 2015
The Battle of Santolo was to be the first in a wave conquest soon to be initiated by the Sultanate of Kano, a wave that was to see Kanoan power culminating into a Hausa Empire in the reign Sultan Muhammadu Kisoki whom according to Sultan Muhammed Bello of sokoto, " was to rule the length and breath of hausa land, from the east to the west"[1]
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 08, 2015
Kaura! Your threads are extremely educative as usual, proud to be hausa, proud to be a kanoan. Keep them coming, mate!
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by NiceHans: 4:08pm On Jul 08, 2015
Hausa hardly have any culture this days
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by kaura5000: 4:20pm On Jul 08, 2015
NiceHans:
what do you mean vy that? We have our distinct language, distinct architecture,we have our own festivals, distinct mode of dressing, distinct food, distinct music so what do you mean by we dont have culture? I don't know u understand what culture is
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by kaura5000: 4:22pm On Jul 08, 2015
Lol if hausa dont have culture then tell me the people that have

1 Like

Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by kaura5000: 4:23pm On Jul 08, 2015
When our culture have influenced alot be ut food,horse riding,architecture,lots of other ethnicities speak our language etc
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by SIRANDREWS: 7:33pm On Jul 08, 2015
kaura5000:
When our culture have influenced alot be ut food,horse riding,architecture,lots of other ethnicities speak our language etc
I don't know any Hausa name. all I've heard are Arabs. Care to list some traditional names?
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by kaura5000: 1:11am On Jul 09, 2015
So you have never had of tanko,mudi,danladi,danjuma,magaji,lado,mati,indo,kande,mainasara,marka, etc although I agree many have switched to Islamic names... but name is not the only yardstick to know of a culture.. hausa language is strong which is one of the most yardstick to measure language.. dont you see many people are switching to hausa language from fulani,kanuri,taureg, etc what would you call them?
SIRANDREWS:
I don't know any Hausa name. all I've heard are Arabs. Care to list some traditional names?
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by Nobody: 1:20am On Jul 09, 2015
kaura5000:
Lol if hausa dont have culture then tell me the people that have

Exactly!
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by Nobody: 1:21am On Jul 09, 2015
NiceHans:

Hater!
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by NiceHans: 6:49am On Jul 09, 2015
ParrishNorwood:

Hater!
no please, its just an observation that i made that hausa culture was replaced by islamic one, dont quote me wrong, but correct me like the poster above
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by Nobody: 8:35am On Jul 09, 2015
NiceHans:
no please, its just an observation that i made that hausa culture was replaced by islamic one, dont quote me wrong, but correct me like the poster above

What about hausa culture is Islamic?
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by shota(m): 12:30am On Sep 29, 2015
kaura5000:
In the 1300s Islamic influence from the Mali empire had crept into Hausa land. in 1349 the King of Kano Ali Yaji dissolved the cult of Tsumbubura, the powerful theocratic cult of the Hausa Animist religion, this sparked a wave of rebellion throughout the kingdom. At some point afterwards, the remnant of the high priests of the cult converged on Santolo, an important seat of Hausa Animism. Invigorated by religious zeal the new 'Sultan' with the support of Wangara Muslims descended on Santolo where an epic battle was fought.

Who were the Malians that brought Islam to Kano or influenced Kanoans to adopt Islam ? Were they not Fulanis or Tuaregs ?
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by kaura5000: 4:54am On Sep 29, 2015
They are the soninke people of the famous mali empire
shota:

Who were the Malians that brought Islam to Kano or influenced Kanoans to adopt Islam ? Were they not Fulanis or Tuaregs ?
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by shota(m): 12:58am On Sep 30, 2015
kaura5000:
They are the soninke people of the famous mali empire

Before the Soninke brought Islam and civilization to the Hausas were the Hausas wearing cloths ?

At what time did the Hausas start to wear cloths ?
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by kaura5000: 9:20am On Sep 30, 2015
Idiot before islam we already have our own civilizations
shota:

Before the Soninke brought Islam and civilization to the Hausas were the Hausas wearing cloths ?
At what time did the Hausas start to wear cloths ?
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by shota(m): 11:19am On Sep 30, 2015
kaura5000:
Idiot before islam we already have our own civilizations

LOL.. So why wearing the cloth of the Soninke people ?
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by Nobody: 12:16pm On Sep 30, 2015
Shota is just jealous the hausas he stupidly sees as below him have been organized, civilized and fully clothed as long as time can tell, his people on the other hand the British found strolling the forest naked like lower animals. grin
Re: First Recorded Jihad In West Africa by WeissMaganti(m): 5:43pm On Apr 23, 2016

(1) (Reply)

My Bantu Friends From South Africa And Other Bantu Countries I Have A Question / Oba Of Lagos On The Relationship Between Benin & Lagos / Joy At Mahin Kingdom, Ilaje As They Are New King Elect Emerg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.