Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,829 members, 7,802,652 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands (60742 Views)

Angry Bus Drivers Block Benin-Lagos Road Over The Killing Of A Conductor (Pics) / Plane Carrying Brazilian Footballers Crashes In Colombia, Killing 25 People / Emirates Explains Credit Card Policy Demands For Nigerians Travelling To Brazil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 09, 2015
ice25:
LEARN TO SAY NO..IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF TROUBLE.....
abeg u deserve 1000 dollars from dis guy..........i hav also learnt to say no cos if u dnt say no those niggas r ready to ruin ur life.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by aameyah(f): 11:07am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
Help!! Friends, family, former school mates and others are killing me with financial demands. Everyday I receive facebook (fb) messages, phone calls, email messages and messages from other communication avenues from family members, friends close and distant, school mates I have not seen in 20 years but with whom I reconnected on fb, and even random fb friends (meaning I do not know them personally but somehow we managed to be friends on fb). They all have the same story: please send me money, anything.

Each month I send nearly 3k to Nigeria and they keep asking for more.

Do they think I pluck money from trees in America?
Do they think every Nigerian in America is doing drugs or credit card fraud to make money?
Are they thinking that since Akin or Emeka made it in America (in many cases by selling drugs and doing credit card fraud), I should also make it and therefore be able to satisfy their unending demands?

How do I explain to them that I have bills (auto, mortgage, water-sewer, electricity, gas, phone, credit card) to pay. And then I have to run my family (of 4) and fuel 2 cars, and on top of that, I have to save also for the rainy day - for when kids get to college.

I am able to resist the random fb friends because I do not have any personal connection with them, but how do I scare the ones I know off without sounding rude and unhelping? I know that when you stop giving, you become an enemy.
Help! Before a fellow nairalander runs amock on the streets of America because of pressure from Nigeria cry cry cry cry

Just for disclosure: I am well-heeled in the US mid-upper middle class, earning a 6-figure pay, holds a PhD, and involved in R4D activities. But I live in a US city (name withheld) where mortgage payment alone takes 25% of my monthly income. So you can imagine that after paying all bills, I do not have tons of money left over to give out on frequent basis.

Please advise on how to handle this, Naija style grin grin. Thanks
Let me give you a synopsis of what I've been facing as a working class lady in Nigeria.

The cook in my organization cried to me for some cash. She said She was returning it at the end of the month. By end of the month, She abandoned her utensils and ran away. After collecting money from almost everybody. Mind you, I was still paying for my lunches, even when my money was with her.

A friend asked me for some cash. Couldn't oblige her then but later did when I had cash. This same lady did not go out of her way to be there for me.

I got a text from a church brother to give or loan him 50k. There was No repayment time frame. I ignored.

Someone I served with sent me a text asking for money after seeing me at my office from afar. She didn't say Hello and had never called me since POP. Only for her to call and ask me if I was the one She saw then after confirming yes, She sent the text hours later.

A friend asked me for house rent , promising to repay when her husband comes. I sent about half the sum and the person who erstwhile was disturbing me suddenly ignored me. She still talks to other mutual friends. My money is almost one year now, from the 3 weeks She promised.

A friend called and asked me for some hundreds of thousands. I once borrowed her my pocket money in school and when I became broke and asked stylishly for my money, She brought out rice and asked me to cook. I didn't get my money till She was ready to give me.
So this time, I told her I don't have. She didn't give up though and kept trying by reducing the sum. I No agree o.

I still didn't learn my lesson until another one collected money last month under the guise of borrowing and her chat is now off. My calls are either ignored or She picks and sounds so dull I don't have the heart to ask for my money. She hasn't mentioned returning the money o.

Even a male friend who went off to a school in America without telling me. School fees became an issue and he now remembered me.

There is so much to say but the summation is I'm sick and tired of these leeches/unfriendly friends. It's obvious one is being taken for a ride. Most of these people have achieved much more than you.

I have decided not to be taken for a ride anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by ice25(f): 11:11am On Jul 09, 2015
Edusouls:
wicked girl,and when you beg for own help may they say no to you,just as you advice someone to say no to people that needs his help,greedy bitch, sorry for ur husband cos im brothers and relatives go suffer if im marry a stingy and greedy woman like u.

you are very s!!ly for such reply. Do you say yes to everyone that demands money from you? or is it that you expect him to keep giving at his own expense?
People like you are those who hate independence and spend their life feeding on peoples blood like a parasite.
who knows you might one of the online beggars....Hediot

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by aameyah(f): 11:12am On Jul 09, 2015
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Motolank: 11:14am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

I pity your life Bro, if you think everyone is a loser, like you? grin grin grin

Owning 2 cars is not a luxury in America for a family. And even with my 6 figure pay, you see that I am still complaining.

What do you mean 'loser'? Olodo

Six figure... undecided and sha happy for you that your topic made front page which was why you fabricated the story story.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by may0001: 11:20am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

You dey craze oh! cheesy cheesy After that what happens?
you will now be living as spirit. Nobody will come near you.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by adepiero: 11:24am On Jul 09, 2015
@histemple, I used WE because I'm also a nigerian. Though you are right by saying I may be offending some people but the truth can't be ignored!

Albert Einstein said "Thanks to those who said NO! because of them, I learnt to do it myself" Many Nigerians don't challenge themselves, most of them are contented with poverty and the reason is because someone is always giving and not advicing them to be better.

In the OP's case, life changes that ought to take him months to do financially will take years due to constant giving(extortion)
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by kobe79: 11:32am On Jul 09, 2015
TXRunner:

Well, since you've decided to be her solicitor, I will dignify you with an answer. People make 6 digits in America. The first question she should have asked is what kind of job the person she quoted does. Doctors, Nurses (depending on the years of experience, and if they do overtime), [s]IT professionals, people who work in the oil industry[/s] and some wall street people make 100+ or more a year....depending on their area of expertise and years of experience. A lot goes into taxes and 401K anyways, but 6 figures will be the salary reflected on the individual's W2 and tax documents. Ask the olodo if $100,000 a year isn't six figures?
Bolded, lol. I guess that question should be directed to yourself. Its been nice talking to u.

"People" make six digits not the wannabe poster, seems you so far away from what modern day Reality is in the USA with a huge debt profile, ailing economy and massive competition for available high paying positions.
As per your analysis acquaint yourself with Forbes, Wall Street Journals, InfoTech brochures and USjobs. IT, Wall Street dudes( Financial Sector; Banking, Investment, Morgages & Loans, Stock Exchange etc) lol at you those jobs stop paying like they used to over seven years ago.
If you take courses in IT thinking some blue chip software end-user coys will employ you, you are on a long thing as what these coys are on the look out for far exceeds what is bin tot at those vocational or educational centers.

Its not all that gloomy for the health care sector a for you to be way above or reach that mark you must be in the cadre of consultancy medicare; surgeons, psychiatrist, internist etc.

The USA is not Abu-Dhabi, Kuwait, Saudi or Naija where even a fresh grad physicist at MPN earns over $10-15k/month(these are well known oil nations) the united states is diversifying, so that sector is not as lucrative.

OP doesnt need to show me his pay stub, his charisma and manner of "communication" shows he is just a wailing, disgruntled, Nigerian who wants to create an imaginary impression of a "big man" when he doesnt have shishi.

3 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by chomytex(f): 11:33am On Jul 09, 2015
Guy u wicked ooh.
Sunofgod:

Announce your death to them on FB
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 11:58am On Jul 09, 2015
ronald4lif:

Yes true. I try to chat them up as often as time permits but most time our conversation always get skewed and narrowed down to one form of assistance plea or the other which leaves me with no choice than to boycott Facebook chat or assist when I find it convenience. There are some who would understand, others not so much, as they're adamant not to even want to comprehend whatever you say.

How do you school someone who keeps telling you to assist him come abroad. A person who's unemployed and doesn't have the required paperwork and requisite documents embassies stipulated for entry visas?. If it was an invitation letter they're seeking for fine but rather they think you can wane a magic hand and there you have visas. There are mainly three category of visas applications namely: student, tourist and spousal visa and some of these friends don't want to listen to whatever one says with a fixated mind that you are wicked no matter what one says. On what visa category do they fits in?. It's not that easy and you know it.

Be the one to control the conversation, indexes you have satisfied your curiosity. No need to prolong it- tell them your have to go. ‘BRB' is the best thing that has ever happened to IM. You can also use the ‘busy excuse'.

That also happens to me a lot. I mainly copy and paste web addresses, tell them that is all what they need and if they can't meet up there is nothing I can do and I end the conversation right at that moment until NEXT TIME
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by olushowunm(m): 11:58am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
Help!! Friends, family, former school mates and others are killing me with financial demands. Everyday I receive facebook (fb) messages, phone calls, email messages and messages from other communication avenues from family members, friends close and distant, school mates I have not seen in 20 years but with whom I reconnected on fb, and even random fb friends (meaning I do not know them personally but somehow we managed to be friends on fb). They all have the same story: please send me money, anything.

Do they think every Nigerian in America is doing drugs or credit card fraud to make money?
Are they thinking that since Akin or Emeka made it in America (in many cases by selling drugs and doing credit card fraud), I should also make it and therefore be able to satisfy their unending demands?

How do I explain to them that I have bills (auto, mortgage, water-sewer, electricity, gas, phone, credit card) to pay. And then I have to run my family (of 4) and fuel 2 cars, and on top of that, I have to save also for the rainy day - for when kids get to college.

I am able to resist the random fb friends because I do not have any personal connection with them, but how do I scare the ones I know off without sounding rude and unhelping? I know that when you stop giving, you become an enemy.
Help! Before a fellow nairalander runs amock on the streets of America because of pressure from Nigeria cry cry cry cry

Just for disclosure: I am well-heeled in the US mid-upper middle class, earning a 6-figure pay, holds a PhD, and involved in R4D activities. But I live in a US city (name withheld) where mortgage payment alone takes 25% of my monthly income. So you can imagine that after paying all bills, I do not have tons of money left over to give out on frequent basis.

Bro. Best thing to do is to first be financially independent by having financial intelligence which you will now use to deal with ur issues. You need to invest more than u r currently doing. And for u to be living in a house with a mortgage of 25% of ur income, you r already lacking in the department of financial intelligence. You are not making sound financial decisions and you don't even have plans, that's why you complain. First, to begin with you need to be acquiring assets that put money in ur pocket and not big house for nothing but 25% of ur sweat. Then you need to do budgeting. Let all your giving including church offering, tithes and giving to less privilege be 10% of all ur income. Add me so we can talk better. Get a lot to do. 52EB3FAF or 23480376870. Bye.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by calcal: 12:01pm On Jul 09, 2015
this is virus without cure in Africa generally.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by astrodome: 12:05pm On Jul 09, 2015
olushowunm:
Bro. Best thing to do is to first be financially independent by having financial intelligence which you will now use to deal with ur issues. You need to invest more than u r currently doing. And for u to be living in a house with a mortgage of 25% of ur income, you r already lacking in the department of financial intelligence. You are not making sound financial decisions and you don't even have plans, that's why you complain. First, to begin with you need to be acquiring assets that put money in ur pocket and not big house for nothing but 25% of ur sweat. Then you need to do budgeting. Let all your giving including church offering, tithes and giving to less privilege be 10% of all ur income. Add me so we can talk better. Get a lot to do. 52EB3FAF or 23480376870. Bye.

25% of income for mortgage is about standard practice. The 'big house' (according to you)is already an investment that can be resold at a higher price in future. BTW, whether mortgage or not you would still live somewhere and pay rent. Duh!!
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by kobe79: 12:09pm On Jul 09, 2015
zeezahbee:
Chaiii, yo yo yo angry, even those that are cutting meat and washing plate in Africa store Na 6 digits cheesy cheesy

Some people will just lie on nairaland. As if it's not this same America. Kilode, Fear God oo.

na only for facebook them dey show their big manism grin grin grin grin grin tell them to commot $2k to use buy sharp ticket go naija go groove. them go dey shake like eja osan grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by NobleG1(m): 12:16pm On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

You earn 6-figure pay and you send only $3k monthly to your family?
Anyway, learn to say 'NO' and lie.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by astrodome: 12:16pm On Jul 09, 2015
soleexx:

Oh really..pretty nice

Baltimore

Cool. Was sightseeing at the Baltimore aquarium and harbor this past 4th July holidays. Scared a little bit regarding the high crime rate in Baltimore.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by astrodome: 12:17pm On Jul 09, 2015
NobleG1:

You earn 6-figure pay and you send only $3k monthly to your family?
Anyway, learn to say 'NO' and lie.

How much should I send?
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jul 09, 2015
Kazrem:

You have done that "I hardly pick calls, don't reply facebook PM" to me even though what I asked wasn't finance but I understand.
BTW
As you said earlier the major cause is actually the person probably he/she has been flaunting his "wealth".

No vex my brother. Ignoring calls and not reading/checking PMs came to become a habit (a not-so-good one, I must admit) when I used it to curtail my spending. Now, I hardly even check Facebook PM. Not because of money again, but it has become a habit.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by soleexx(m): 12:25pm On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

Cool. Was sightseeing at the Baltimore
. Scared a little bit regarding the high crime rate in Baltimore.

You right.. Baltimore is a city where you see a gangster with pistol behind is back walking along the street...we keep our head straight and walk faster as we can ...
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by mickey45: 12:27pm On Jul 09, 2015
Truckpusher:
Send me a mail.
Ok
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by adaxxy: 12:27pm On Jul 09, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Carry cocaine to indonesia, if u want to end it once and for all.
you are a fool
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by doskie(m): 12:30pm On Jul 09, 2015
StOla:
Guy! Welcome to Nigeria.

I don't even reply most whatsapp and facebook chats any more. They now lay in wait for me to come online then they attack, knowing you must acknowledge their presence.

I can write an epistle on this topic.
I'm resident in Nigeria so this is even rampant with those with higher earning power within Nigeria. I get to travel a lot, but the internet banking facilities have ensured I keep making expenditures on behalf of other people.

I'm getting really frustrated with always having to promise a portion of my future salary to help a friend or the other. These locusts, coupled with my own economic pursuits, have ensured I barely have enough cash before the next pay check.

The demands never stop. Ranging from the very important to mundane stuff like a jobless man planning a wedding with expenses that rival a society wedding.
So I begin to wonder if people can't just cut their coat according to their cloth.

I have contemplated a change of mobile line, but I'll be losing a lot of contacts who must reach me in the course of my job.

It's a rather sad situation, that requires both financial empowerment of the needy, and social orientation on being self reliant - a trait that is not very African/Nigerian.

I hope Dangote and Adenuga can continue from where I must be stopping. This matter pass my power. I am not Jesus Christ, I can't help everyone I would like too.

I have my own needs too, and dreams to pursue. I also suspect most of these beneficiaries of my magnanimity would not do the same if roles were reversed.
all this ganja breed just dey show their self. if you catch dem for street nau dem go dey confess say dem no level for dia pocket. come nl come dey form one tin. igbo guys dey dis naija wen dey go america go collect their wristwatch wen dem forget for hotel. una dey dia dey pack shit dey form phd. no level for una. flat nyash.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by KelvinC1(m): 12:38pm On Jul 09, 2015
hustla:

Take am go chop for McDonalds then

grin grin

start giving your people notice now that when you die they should bury you with all you have got both CASH AND MATERIAL THINGS ok.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by NobleG1(m): 12:41pm On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

How much should I send?

It actually depends on many stuff. I don't know your extended family structure and where they live (rented home or not).
By the way, is the 6-figure pay monthly or annually?
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by astrodome: 12:44pm On Jul 09, 2015
NobleG1:

By the way, is the 6-figure pay monthly or annually?

What do you think?
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by kunle75(m): 12:44pm On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

God has given you the abiliity to say NO,but if you give them,it should be from your own volution.However,learn to say NO when they ask you.

Thanks
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Goldenboy007(m): 12:51pm On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

Was a research scientist until early last year. Read that post more carefully. Now an industry employee where I get well paid for a good job. Why am I explaining this anyway?

Ahan youngman, your stories keep getting a newer twist, which industrial employee gets paid 6 figures? You must be the director of research in a ground breaking space lab. Bros we are all in this yankee together o, we know what's up ! You can only hoodwink people wey nefa reach airport before o! And you have been sending 3k every month? You see why you shouldn't come to a public forum to tell fibs?

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Kazrem(m): 12:54pm On Jul 09, 2015
Jarus:

No vex my brother. Ignoring calls and not reading/checking PMs came to become a habit (a not-so-good one, I must admit) when I used it to curtail my spending. Now, I hardly even check Facebook PM. Not because of money again, but it has become a habit.
OK sir. How do we your "e-aburo" get into with you when the need arises Sir.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Kizyte(m): 12:55pm On Jul 09, 2015
ferdimako:

Nope...u did what we do here. Counting only d kids! Even some pple count twins as one because they conceived them once. Not good on ur economy...and sense of proportion.
Thank you Mr Lecturer
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by astrodome: 1:01pm On Jul 09, 2015
Goldenboy007:

Ahan youngman, your stories keep getting a newer twist, which industrial employee gets paid 6 figures? You must be the director of research in a ground breaking space lab. Bros we are all in this yankee together o, we know what's up ! You can only hoodwink people wey nefa reach airport before o! And you have been sending 3k every month? You see why you shouldn't come to a public forum to tell fibs?

You apparently are clueless. A 6 figure pay (100K and above) per annum is not a big deal. As an academic researcher until lately, I was already at the top rung of the 5 figure pay before my move to the industry. Why do you think I would leave the typically more secure academic job (just after tenure,) to the usually less secure industry job? Answer, irresistibly higher pay.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by ironbody03(m): 1:04pm On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
I just dropped the phone a few minutes ago after speaking with one of these old friends, got very angry after telling me he lives in Adamawa (Boko Haram) and needs money to relocate to his state of origin. This coming after I sent $700, respectively to a sister and a sister-inlaw this am

Dem wan kill me? cry cry cry cry cry cry
You never die now . except if you want to kill your self untimely
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by histemple: 1:34pm On Jul 09, 2015
adepiero:
@histemple, I used WE because I'm also a nigerian. Though you are right by saying I may be offending some people but the truth can't be ignored!

Albert Einstein said "Thanks to those who said NO! because of them, I learnt to do it myself" Many Nigerians don't challenge themselves, most of them are contented with poverty and the reason is because someone is always giving and not advicing them to be better.[color=#006600][/color]

You are making absolute sense I must sincerely confess but I believe the word "many Nigerians" was more appropriate as "WE Nigerians" connotes either ALL or a problem that is peculiar to only Nigerians. As for the topic, your contribution was excellent.

In the OP's case, life changes that ought to take him months to do financially will take years due to constant giving(extortion)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Tarkwa Bay Beach Island In Lagos (Photos) / Inside The Kaduna-abuja Train Shared By A Twitter User (photos) / Air Peace Staff Land In London In Ishiagu Attire, Sparking Outrage In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.