Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,764 members, 7,806,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad (58185 Views)

A Nairalander Visit To Badagary Slave Route AKA Place Of No Return / 8 Reasons To Move To Lagos. Aka "Lasgidi" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 10, 2015
shebi jobs dey naija...

4 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
make I go yankee first abegi

3 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by sunnydayasaba(m): 7:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
No matter ur visa status, Ur still a third class citizen..even if u have residency...People still look at u as not part of them.

7 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
OP you have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about.

2 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by YerYer: 7:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
I'm glad OP made the distinction between obodo oyinbo and U.S. I'm not here to tell you that there's milk & honey flowing in the U.S or the streets are paved with gold, but I can confidently say you have better opportunities in the U.S than you do in Europe. Like anything in life, good information and the determination to make use of that information will make you very successful. Unfortunately, some Nigerians travel overseas and squander their opportunities. Or their so called relatives in the U.S never guide them because many of them made stupid mistakes by either studying the wrong courses in school or made poor choices ex fathering several babies and being tied to pay child support for many years to mention just a few.

Let me have this on record, if you happen to visit the U.S with a greencard, I can personally guide you towards earning an associate degree under 2-3yrs or bachelors within 4yrs all depends on how much credits you carry over. And if you are hardworking and live in the right state, willing to work overtime, you can easily start making a minimum of $200,000 a year. Look at my other posts, I don't sell ebook or give false hopes. Not every 'obodo oyinbo' is the same.

8 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by bbdd: 7:59pm On Jul 10, 2015
I smell frustration of a travel abroad hustler.
Thank you for your input.
Oya go back to naija.

6 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by gabby227(m): 7:59pm On Jul 10, 2015
Today is my birthday pls i need 1 more like to complete my birth age

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by samuelkingz(m): 8:02pm On Jul 10, 2015
mehn d op just defined me in d first paragraph....so my dream @of doin masters in finland..and finding a work afterall dere may not be rosy....@ op wat do i do ??

1 Like

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by ogaibe1(m): 8:05pm On Jul 10, 2015
Somebody is trying to discourage people who want to hustle their way to a better life, but who is listening??.

8 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by slimes(m): 8:06pm On Jul 10, 2015
MarvellousGod:
The only thing I'll miss in Naija if I ever leave is our food. .. Our local foods dey sweet no be small kiss kiss

Then maybe naija craziness, you can bring your friends over to your house, drink, shout, dance with your music at the highest volume grin grin... etc..

Meanyl, the poster above me has mouth odour, really choking me here . grin grin embarassed tongue

I agree with the food aspect. I have seen many tins that oyibo say is food but me, I cannot eat it oo.
Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by Gerrard59(m): 8:07pm On Jul 10, 2015
What I see here is someone with an African mentality.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with paying bills, as long as everything works accurately.

You pay NEPA bills, yet no light.
You pay water bills, yet no water ( how possible sef, when no light)
Pay security taxes, yet Boko Haram everywhere.

If I get into government, preferably at the state level, in Nigeria, it must be turned around, into better still the African Singapore.

You're simply exhibiting a suffering and smiling attitude.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by erico2k2(m): 8:07pm On Jul 10, 2015
tai2:

Yeah, I completely forgot about food. No peppersoup, no suya, no nkwobi.
you must be in a crap country then sorry to say cos where I live, we have everything when it comes to 9ja food you name it, we even have Obalande suya, so waht are you on about.we have shaki and kpomo grin grin grin
Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by tai2(m): 8:08pm On Jul 10, 2015
samuelkingz:
mehn d op just defined me in d first paragraph....so my dream @of doin masters in finland..and finding a work afterall dere may not be rosy....@ op wat do i do ??

Hmm. Finland ke? You're better off trying a much more multicultural place like the Netherlands. Lots of international workers and multinationals in Amsterdam. Not all Europe is survivable Europe. Don't go to a place you will end up stuck for years or sent back home with nothing but your degree.

Even Germany is better because of its industrial history and presence of several large scale companies. I'm not saying one or two people haven't made it in Finland but there are other safer and better bets. The worst thing is to be stranded in a strange land in obodo oyibo with no black man in sight for 1000 miles.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by allanphash7(m): 8:08pm On Jul 10, 2015
Mtchewwww

Stay here and get rotten hoping it go better ooo

Spinkle acid on the thread and walk away

You thought you are part of those that owns Naija?

Pally you are wrong

4 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by solla22: 8:08pm On Jul 10, 2015
yorubadelta:
Poster, what do you mean by lack of jobs? That statement is false abeg. If you are well qualified, got relevant experience and are LEGALLY in the country then getting a good job wouldn't be a problem at all.. In fact, jobs boku for UK if you know what you are doing.

Aside from that, everything else said is true.

What is true ??.. Do you get in a taxi in nigeria and you dont pay or you eat food at the restaurant without paying ? how is that a big deal abroad?
Rather we pay for electricity thats not available.

Living in nigeria or Abroad is simple an issue based on individual situations - For some its favourable and for others otherwise. And that is how things are in life generally. The fact that its OK for one person doesn't make it OK for all persons.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by sweetgala(m): 8:09pm On Jul 10, 2015
Guy no lie, there are too many disadvantages

The only thing assured is medical safety and relative security unless you live in east London and any gangland area in USA

There is no place like home, I've been planning to pack my bags for a while now, there is pride in living in Nigeria even with all the risks

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by jck1976(m): 8:09pm On Jul 10, 2015
tai2:
3. Racism

Lol. Being a black man or woman is tough in this world. Oyibo that bathes twice or three times a week to save water, will hold their nose when they see you. Some people will openly refuse to serve you, some will refuse to even answer you or give you a job.

Racism is everywhere, the level of racism depends on the country i.e are you in a country as hard as Poland or in one where they have a lot of people of different races such as the United States? If you live in a city with people from different countries, it tends to be much less.

Its not all bad, some people will actually like you for being black others will detest you. The point is you don’t know who is going to hiss at you in the morning or smile, which can be depressing.

Also the poorer you are and the poorer the society you live in, the more racism you are likely to suffer. Rich people are welcome anywhere. A rich black man will think he is the most loved person in the world in some of these places but still some people will not care and look at you like you were coated in dawadawa and smell of the substance. You need a strong mind for this one.

4. Loneliness

In Nigeria, its never hard to make friends. Even with Iya that owns the provision store near your house, where you can sit down and discuss everything from the thieves that are stealing Nigeria’s money to that single woman in your compound who is always entertaining men with different cars at all hours of the day.

In Obodo Oyibo, nobody has time to sit around and discuss. Your neighbour will see you in the morning and walk past without saying hello. The person smiling for you in the store is only trying to separate you from your money. You cannot call people to gist with them on the phone and spend one or two hours. Calling Nigeria however might be easier because of Internet calls, however when you have to work for food you have little time to socialize.

Over time you might learn to make friends with co-workers, other Nigerians and other people, but it will take a lot of time. People you spend time gisting with today might not even acknowledge you tomorrow. That is the way it is.

I miss only the noise and katakata wey be part of Nigeria life
Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by yanjutomi(m): 8:10pm On Jul 10, 2015
making it in life is a risk. am not 100% in support of escapping out of dis so called country but its better to take d risk than waiting 4 a messiah dat wont surface

9 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by erico2k2(m): 8:10pm On Jul 10, 2015
tai2:

You obviously didn't read through. I acknowledged the fact that jobs are available for those with relevant (foreign ) qualifications and experience. However someone who is a bank manager in Nigeria should not expect to walk into the United Kingdom and get a well-paying job with a high street London bank. There are far too many Nigerians without the requisite foreign experience and qualifications who end up roaming around with no destination.
Guy the only limitation for a good job in the UK is the issue you being legal or not.U have to start from somewhere.

4 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by tai2(m): 8:12pm On Jul 10, 2015
ogaibe1:
Somebody is trying to discourage people who want to hustle their way to a better life, but who is listening??.

No such thing as hustle o. Without a clear cut plan for obodo oyibo you will end up in trouble. A lot of people simply assume they will come to obodo oyibo like people in the village head to Lagos, then stay on the "streets" and something will work itself out. It doesn't work like that. The society is streamlined /formal and the informal sector is only for illegal things or the most low paying of jobs. Some people end up living a rat race for 20 years and get deported because of failure to plan initially. Do not be a victim.

13 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 10, 2015
tai2:

In Nigeria you can get favours done when you don't have any money. You can ask the taxi guy to reduce his fare based on you don't have too much. In obodo oyibo, taxi guy will point to the metre. I hope you know even with sporadic power supply not everyone pays their light bills in Nigeria, PHCN cuts the power in the afternoon, you go and reconnect them later during the day. Lol.
don't b dcvd...
naija guys do tap electricity abroad too. dz is called electricity theft.
Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by erico2k2(m): 8:13pm On Jul 10, 2015
sweetgala:
Guy no lie, there are too many disadvantages

The only thing assured is medical safety and relative security unless you live in east London and any gangland area in USA

There is no place like home, I've been planning to pack my bags for a while now, there is pride in living in Nigeria even with all the risks
Guy B4 u pack go 9ja, make sure you house is complete, steady income of some sort,good Gen grin grin, and loads of balance starting from 5milion or else you go run go back abroad grin grin

5 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jul 10, 2015
@OP.. the only reason you will post this.. no matter how true is that most Nigerians live above their means..

1: A Nigerian in a desk-job earns far less and will rather live upstate in a suburb rather than downtown where rent is low and taxes on rent is low.
2: They would rather rent expensive apartments rather than use their Nigerian sense to buy cheap $25k houses and put up for rent to help pay their taxes on their Rich Upstate $500k Condos

As per jobs, it is opening up in the US for certain sectors than in Europe where employments rates and funding to government agencies are a trickle.

A mistake a lot of Nigerians make before they relocate is hoping that their skills, degrees, certificates and experience will count much abroad.. well it does if you are in the following sectors, IT, Construction, Health, Security. if you are looking to be a Desk-jockey and a Pen-pusher with sleek suits and ties.. you will be faced with a re-validation of your credibility i.e Professional Certifications/Degrees, Experience that matters to the job at hand and strong competition from the natives who are already struggling in such sectors.

I have a friend who won Green Card Lottery and had just graduated from Unilag in Quantity Surveying.. guess what he earns a living from.. Certified Electrician - got contracted to a military barracks to fix minor electrical faults.. and he has bought a house in lekki within 3 years

bbdd:
I smell frustration of a travel abroad hustler.
Thank you for your input.
Oya go back to naija.

tell am joor

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by erico2k2(m): 8:14pm On Jul 10, 2015
babosky2008:

don't b dcvd...
naija guys do tap electricity abroad too. dz is called electricity theft.
ah not only 9ja guys, you want try the polish guys using free gas for like 3 years ahah or roman gypsies taping light, water and gas ehehe
Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by erico2k2(m): 8:16pm On Jul 10, 2015
voltron:
@OP.. the only reason you will post this.. no matter how true is that most Nigerians live above their means..

1: A Nigerian in a desk-job earns far less and will rather live upstate in a suburb rather than downtown where rent is low and taxes on rent is low.
2: They would rather rent expensive apartments rather than use their Nigerian sense to buy cheap $25k houses and put up for rent to help pay their taxes on their Rich Upstate $500k Condos

As per jobs, it is opening up in the US for certain sectors than in Europe where employments rates and funding to government agencies are a trickle.

A mistake a lot of Nigerians make before they relocate is hoping that their skills, degrees, certificates and experience will count much abroad.. well it does if you are in the following sectors, IT, Construction, Health, Security. if you are looking to be a Desk-jockey and a Pen-pusher with sleek suits and ties.. you will be faced with a re-validation of your credibility i.e Professional Certifications/Degrees, Experience that matters to the job at hand and strong competition from the natives who are already struggling in such sectors.

I have a friend who won Green Card Lottery and had just graduated from Unilag in Quantity Surveying.. guess what he earns a living from.. Certified Electrician - got contracted to a military barracks to fix minor electrical faults.. and he has bought a house in lekki within 3 years

tell am joor
very correct

1 Like

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by tai2(m): 8:18pm On Jul 10, 2015
erico2k2:

Guy the only limitation for a good job in the UK is the issue you being legal or not.U have to start from somewhere.

And how easy is it to be legal in the U.K these days? We're not talking of 5 to 10 years ago when international students had the right to work or when the U.K wasn't flooded with E.U migrants looking for jobs.

Even things like "Arangee" marriage people were using to get legal in the United Kingdom is facing greater scrutiny these days. Yes, the U.K is easier but anyone planning to go to such countries should plan appropriately. There are so many people trapped in strange countries for donkey years with vague hopes of "getting papers" only to turn around and get deported. Some people spend 10 to 15 or 20 years of their lives waiting in one location that may not be profitable trying to get a passport.

That you're one of the few who succeed, should not mean other people should not be advised on how to do the right thing and avoid a life of frustration.

11 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad by bettercreature(m): 8:18pm On Jul 10, 2015
gabby227:
Today is my birthday pls i need 1 more like to complete my birth age
You smart die HBD,OP is very correct,the best solution is to take a very short period course when you enter any foreign country and withing 18 months you are ready to go

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Engaged Lady Dies In Ghastly Accident Days After Posting Dangote, Gombe Accident / Photos Of The New Aircraft Launched By Air Peace As Nigerian Pilots Make History / These Buses Are Not Lagos BRT Buses (see PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.