Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,405 members, 7,808,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day (17198 Views)

South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc / Investors Sell-off Stocks As Economic Meltdown Fear Grows -daily Times / Zenith Bank Shares For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by jaybee3(m): 1:40pm On Jul 09, 2015
Dollyak:
The president isn't helping matters either.

How?
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by freethug: 1:40pm On Jul 09, 2015
Uncle buhari is preparing to travel to see bros Obama, wetin concern Aboki with naira fall or stock market slide?
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 09, 2015
Zico5:
It is u that is scammed not we
Shoro niyen
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 09, 2015
hahn:
Is there hope for Nigeria?

Since 1960, prices in this country have only gone up, aside from prices for sim cards.

There has never being a sector where prices came down, aside from GEJ's reduction of fuel pump price from N97-N87. I have a feeling the naira is still on a free fall.

Something needs to be done before N1-1 Zimbabwean dollars
GOD FORBID

1 Like

Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by atlwireles: 1:43pm On Jul 09, 2015
Firefire:

The name parallel market has been altered in recent time, CBN already closed all avenues to source dollars including RDAS etc.

I presume the only available means of getting USD is through the parallel market, inter-bank is another tales..

Anywhere but the CBN has become the new parallel market in Nigeria. grin grin grin grin
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by dokyOloye: 1:43pm On Jul 09, 2015
Buhari oooooooo.
Make una no vex,but na him name we go de call now
If fowl no gree lay egg,na Buhari cause am.

1 Like

Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by pstaustus2011: 1:44pm On Jul 09, 2015
Is Nigeria changing positively or negatively, am waiting for approval am changing my nationalty
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by ajepako(f): 1:44pm On Jul 09, 2015
waiting on the balcony

to see the CHANGE they promised

But I havent seen any CHANGE

Except CHANGE from conductor
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by StPete: 1:45pm On Jul 09, 2015
Click like if u miss GEJ

2 Likes

Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by Dollyak(f): 1:47pm On Jul 09, 2015
jaybee3:

How?

Perhaps deceptively, but there has been no visible economic plan from the president so far. This, coupled with the delayed appointment of the ministers (finance) meant investors were always going to be worried.

3 Likes

Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by Firefire(m): 1:47pm On Jul 09, 2015
atlwireles:

Anywhere but the CBN has become the new parallel market in Nigeria. grin grin grin grin

Painfully yes, and you see them quoting yeye 196.5N/$ on their website.

I can reliably confirm to you that over 2 Billion Dollars are waiting FOREX in all tier 2 or 2nd tier banks in Nigeria.

Most firms are passing through hard time to remit fund to their foreign suppliers.

I pray "Miracle" happen soon. embarassed sad

1 Like

Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by hamilton62(m): 1:49pm On Jul 09, 2015
jaybee3:

Gerrarohere pvnk

What has natural dynamics of economics got to do with voting pattern?

The Naira was first devalued during his reign
We started struggling with our ability to defend the Naira during his reign
Our economic outlook already pointed towards unstable during his reign

So why would any sane human continue on the same path hoping/praying for a change in fortune

Oya go get a cake or something and run along
you absolutely lack information or you just decided to be.....
Is GEJ OPEC?
what is happening to Russia, venezuela, lybia, SA?
You aren't grateful that he diversified the Nigeria economy from full dependence on Crude if not you would have even been crying me an ocean
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by Firefire(m): 1:50pm On Jul 09, 2015
StPete:
Click like if u miss GEJ

My brother, this is not about GEJ. Economic condition of Nigeria is at high risk being a mono product economy.

2 Likes

Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by jaybee3(m): 1:52pm On Jul 09, 2015
hamilton62:

you absolutely lack information or you just decided to be.....
Is GEJ OPEC?
what is happening to Russia, venezuela, lybia, SA?
You aren't grateful that he diversified the Nigeria economy from full dependence on Crude if not you would have even been crying me an ocean

You want to tackle me?
Are you sure about that?

Think again and let me know your final answer

Here is a bonus for you to ponder on. We (CBN) have always pegged the Naira back using our foreign reserves. How would we be able to keep pegging it back if the reserve has dwindled and the price of crude has crashed ?
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by chesterlee(m): 1:53pm On Jul 09, 2015
We still don't have a minister of Finance.....

1 Like

Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by atlwireles: 1:55pm On Jul 09, 2015
Firefire:

Painfully yes, and you see them quoting yeye 196.5N/$ on their website.

I can reliably confirm to you that over 2 Billion Dollars are waiting FOREX in all tier 2 banks in Nigeria.

Most firms are passing through hard time to remit fund to their foreign suppliers.

I pray "Miracle" happen soon. embarassed sad

There will be no miracle, we Nigerians refuse to live in our reality, let the change criers deal with it. I remember the days of Abacha when CBN held the Naira at N22, yet the black market had it at almost N90 plus. That's where we are heading again, also the price of crude oil is projected to remain under $75 for another 18 months. So, there is no escape velocity any time soon.

2 Likes

Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jul 09, 2015
Nigerians welcome to one chance cheesy
"Change" is the name of the game.
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by bengems(m): 1:57pm On Jul 09, 2015
i get a feeling that $1 will soon be equal to N1000....FG is toying with Nigeria, the worst is they don't know the pains masses are passing through.

meanwhile refer to my post here https://www.nairaland.com/2438920/iyaloja-ijebu-ode-assassinated/1#35666274
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by jaybee3(m): 1:57pm On Jul 09, 2015
Dollyak:

Perhaps deceptively, but there has been no visible economic plan from the president so far. This, coupled with the delayed appointment of the ministers (finance) meant investors were always going to be worried.

Any price movement in the Naira is the responsibility of the INDEPENDENT CBN. Absolutely nothing to do with the president

Yes, the delay in his appointments may have affected the stock market since it's closely linked with business confidence and having uncertainties surrounding government policies ain't something any responsible big investor would delve into.

FX and stock are 2 different things entirely. They are loosely correlated

1 Like

Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by StPete: 1:58pm On Jul 09, 2015
Firefire:

My brother, this is not about GEJ. Economic condition of Nigeria is at high risk being a mono product economy.

But baba daura said he was Nigeria's long lost messiah na, so yes it is about GEJ IMO
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by Firefire(m): 2:03pm On Jul 09, 2015
jaybee3:

You want to tackle me?
Are you sure about that?

Think again and let me know your final answer

Here is a bonus for you to ponder on. We (CBN) have always pegged the Naira back using our foreign reserves. How would we be able to keep pegging it back if the reserve has dwindled and the price of crude has crashed ?

After the sharp decline in global oil prices and Nigeria oil revenue with about 48%, as of 18th February 2015 CBN closed the RDAS/WDAS

market for the Interbank Foreign Exchange Market (IFEM) in a bid to reduce the level of reserves depletion, after the initial 8% devaluation on

25th November 2014 from N155 to N168 per dollar.

This has foreclose any intervention from the CBN, the policy which I support. You see the gains in the recent news from Emefiele

The truth now remains, other approach needs to be explore to save most especially the SME and the Nigerian masses with International trade.

We should not politicize this perilous situation.

1 Like

Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by jaybee3(m): 2:06pm On Jul 09, 2015
Firefire:

After the sharp decline in global oil prices and Nigeria oil revenue with about 48%, as of 18th February 2015 CBN closed the RDAS/WDAS

market for the Interbank Foreign Exchange Market (IFEM) in a bid to reduce the level of reserves depletion, after the initial 8% devaluation on

25th November 2014 from N155 to N168 per dollar.

This has foreclose any intervention from the CBN, the policy which I support. You see the gains in the recent news from Emefiele

The truth now remains, other approach needs to be explore to save most especially the SME and the Nigerian masses with International trade.

We should not politicize this perilous situation.

jaybee3:
Make them devalue the damn thing jare

It's pretty obvious they've stopped defending the currency with our foreign reserve hence the gain reported by the CBN

Naira is junk anyways so no biggie

We are saying the same thing
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by Firefire(m): 2:08pm On Jul 09, 2015
atlwireles:

There will be no miracle, we Nigerians refuse to live in our reality, let the change criers deal with it. I remember the days of Abacha when CBN held the Naira at N22, yet the black market had it at almost N90 plus. That's where we are heading again, also the price of crude oil is projected to remain under $75 for another 18 months. So, there is no escape velocity any time soon.

Sad, painful and serious. Even further restriction now placed on BTA/PTA, maximum you can access from all sources is $5,000. undecided
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by AreaFada2: 2:10pm On Jul 09, 2015
ok
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by Firefire(m): 2:11pm On Jul 09, 2015
jaybee3:

We are saying the same thing

Ok, I see, but your statement " Naira is junk anyways so no biggie " you are not fair to us without dual citizenship.
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jul 09, 2015
jaybee3:

Any price movement in the Naira is the responsibility of the INDEPENDENT CBN. Absolutely nothing to do with the president

Yes, the delay in his appointments may have affected the stock market since it's closely linked with business confidence and having uncertainties surrounding government policies ain't something any responsible big investor would delve into.

FX and stock are 2 different things entirely. They are loosely correlated

The only sensible comment so far.

Buhari should suspend Emiefele or whatever his name is.....a precedent has already been set with Sanusi
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by Firefire(m): 2:14pm On Jul 09, 2015
StPete:

But baba daura said he was Nigeria's long lost messiah na, so yes it is about GEJ IMO

I know PMB will deliver sometime later, but "Time na money" time lost, business lost, future lost might not be easily recovered.

We expect an instant action before further deterioration from the current administration.
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by jaybee3(m): 2:14pm On Jul 09, 2015
Firefire:

Ok, I see, but your statement " Naira is junk anyways so no biggie " you are not fair to us without dual citizenship.

Naira is junk because it's largely politicized instead of being correlated with economic realities.

You can't have confidence in a currency that's constantly manipulated

Ya dig?

1 Like

Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by Firefire(m): 2:17pm On Jul 09, 2015
1stCitizen:

Buhari should suspend Emiefele or whatever his name is.....a precedent has already been set with Sanusi

Is cutting off the head cure for headache ?
Re: Weak Naira: Worried Investors Sell Shares For 6th Consecutive Day by Firefire(m): 2:19pm On Jul 09, 2015
jaybee3:

Naira is junk because it's largely politicized instead of being correlated with economic realities.

You can't have confidence in a currency that's constantly manipulated

Ya dig?

You actually have a valid point, Nigerian Naira being manipulated since 1960. But which way forward ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Crowd 1: All You Need To Know / America’s $1.3b Investment Threatened In Nigeria, Says Consul-general / Why I Am Leaving Nigeria To Invest In Liberia - Aroms Aigbehi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.