Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:18 AM

Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi (1231 Views)

James Ayatse's Daughter, Doofan Ayatse Marries. 1000 Paid As Bride Price / Olori Wuraola Returns Bride Price To Ooni Of Ife / Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by impetus: 5:32pm On Jul 09, 2015
Former Military governor of old Anambra State, Col. Robert Akonobi (rtd), has pleaded with Igbo parents to reduce the bride price of their daughters so that ‘’our young boys can marry them.”

“To me, this topic (bride price) has been dealth with in the past by Ndigbo, who came out with a reduced bride price, to enable our young boys marry our young girls,” Akonobi said.

Akonobi also cautioned that men should study their proposed wives closely and longer before engaging into marriage because “once you marry, no one else can put it asunder.”

He spoke at the industrial city of Nnewi, Anambra State during the traditional wedding ceremony of the daughter of a business mogul, Chief Louis Onwugbenu, Onyinye and her husband, Bosah Chukwuogo, weekend.

Nnewi was agog as dignitaries from all works of life trooped to the residence of Chief Onwugbenu for the memorable event. The dignitaries who were from both the military, political and manufacturing circles, including Col Akonobi, Hon. Clement Nwankwu, former member of the House of Representatives; Chairmen and Chief Executive Officers of Gabros International Limited and Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Limited, Chief Gabriel and Innocent Chukwuma respectively, among others.

The issue of high bride price was discussed extensively on the occasion. Hon. Nwankwu, in his own speech, prayed that Chief Onwugbenu and his wife would live long to enjoy the fruits of their children, especially those who married from outside their areas.

Also, speaking, Mrs. Onwugbenu expressed gratitude that her daughter’s hand was given out in marriage and prayed that her in-laws who came all the way from Awka to marry her daughter, would go back home safely. Father of the bride, Onwugbenu, in his own speech, said he had already blessed his daughter and her husband to go and make a good home.

On the bride price controversy in Igbo land, Onwugbenu declared:

“We do not charge money as bride price for someone to marry my daughter. To me, what is important is that my daughter should live in peace with her husband. Let her husband’s family members accept her as part and parcel of their family.”

http://community.vanguardngr.com/forum/topics/igbo-parents-should-please-reduce-bride-price-col-robert-akonobi

If implemented, it would go a long way to reduce the number of unmarried ladies in the East.

Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 09, 2015
lol. quite funny.
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by Cutehector(m): 5:35pm On Jul 09, 2015
Its not our fault our ladies are expensive

1 Like

Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by donholy28(m): 5:35pm On Jul 09, 2015
even dem supposed increase am...our girls are worth much more...plus b4 people no dey like born girls but now if u born like 5 girls...just relax dey chop money

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 09, 2015
X
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by BeeBeeOoh(m): 5:37pm On Jul 09, 2015
I believe this man referring to 1 eastern state that their women's bride price is skyrocketting, abeg I no call any state oh..
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by ibrokola(m): 5:39pm On Jul 09, 2015
It's not compulsory to marry their daughters. Go to other parts of Nigeria and marry! At least it will further the 'One Nigeria' project. When they see no one is marrying their daughters, they'll start thinking right and reduce their bride prices! That's how my friend had to start asking me to borrow him money to add to his budget for marriage! Poor dude
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by muhyeenisce(m): 5:42pm On Jul 09, 2015
Introduction to business man205...lol...ibo people no wonder they preffer given birth to female child than male
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 09, 2015
This marriage thing dy fear me eh, especially this 1 my fiancee is ibo, if na yoruba dm will dash me money sef to do the marriage but ibo lipsrsealed
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by jantofubu(m): 5:45pm On Jul 09, 2015
Cutehector:
Its not our fault our ladies are expensive
dats y u ar selling them

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 09, 2015
Lolz
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by owobokiri(m): 5:47pm On Jul 09, 2015
muhyeenisce:
Introduction to business man205...lol...ibo people no wonder they preffer given birth to female child than male

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by Cutehector(m): 5:49pm On Jul 09, 2015
jantofubu:
dats y u ar selling them
so dat u will regard her
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by Idrismusty97(m): 5:55pm On Jul 09, 2015
They should increase it. Who cares?
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by Truth24(m): 5:55pm On Jul 09, 2015
Igbo Kwenu!
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by unstableaswater: 5:58pm On Jul 09, 2015
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 09, 2015
Truth24:
Igbo Kwenu!

Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by doublewisdom: 6:11pm On Jul 09, 2015
Igbos have Beautiful girls hence the high bride price. In some parts of Nigeria their girls are so ugly they come for a dozen a dime. grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by sammyj: 6:22pm On Jul 09, 2015
cheesy grin grin grin grin
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 09, 2015
Marriage in Igboland is not all comers affairs, Igbo marriage is not where a bottle of La Casera and two loaves of Gala will fetch you a baby mama inside BRT bus.
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by asha80(m): 6:34pm On Jul 09, 2015
Cutehector:
so dat u will regard her
that is not always the case
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by Masterclass32: 7:38pm On Jul 09, 2015
owobokiri:

Owobokiri u no go kill person. grin 'Just negodu' indeed.

Well among our people, marriage is not for the faint-hearted or irresponsible. Not like am in support of ridiculously high bride price but you have to be ready, financially and otherwise, to take care of your wife.

By the way, we are not complaining. Our girls are Jewels of inestimable value. wink

1 Like

Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 11, 2015
Idrismusty97:
They should increase it. Who cares?
So that I will see her as my property...
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by Nobody: 12:14am On Jul 12, 2015
High bride price is what it is. Stop giving xtupid excuses.

Those old greedy men are only after the goods and money but y'all are defending them with lame excuses.

WTF is most beautiful? Check out minority tribes in North central, hausa, Fulani's and shuwa-Arabs in far north then come back and tell me what most beautiful means.

Move out of your world and see things.

Gosh!!
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by tchino26(m): 8:34pm On Jul 12, 2015
the bride price is always high for the beautiful igbo girls. if na the ugly ones, them go dey ask u how much u go pay. Oya pay 1000 wit 3 baby oku, ok, Oya pay 500 wit two baby oku, infact, Oya pay 200 wit one fanta of Ogogoro
Re: Igbo Parents Should Please Reduce Bride Price!!! — Col. Robert Akonobi by leederrty1997: 9:36pm On Jul 12, 2015
Yes, they should, or else, they will suitors away.

For Nigerian histories, culture and traditions, legends, places and lifestyle in the 70s: visit www.oldnaija. and thank me later.

(1) (Reply)

4 Exciting Things About The Fulanis / 15 Year-old Boy Installed As New King Ubulu-uku Community In Delta - Photos / Independence Day Speech In Hindi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.