Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,247 members, 7,780,506 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:41 PM

Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? (8713 Views)

Joy Odama's Death: Usman Adamu Invites Girls To His House For Sex - Cook / Nigerian Pays 15-Year-Old Girl For Sex, Collects Money Back At Gunpoint In US / Prostitute Injures Man Who Offered To Pay For Sex With Egg (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 6:44pm On Jul 09, 2015
Folks, is this fair? Is this what we in want in Nigeria? Let's think well o.

**Summary of the story**
A 19 year old had sex with a girl he met online. The girl says she tricked him into thinking she was above the consent age of 17. Regardless, he was sentenced to jail and had to register as a sex offender for life

What do u think should be the age of consent in 9ja?
What should be the punishment? Should the punishment be different depending on age?

BTW,
The bill the senate just passed (that's waiting for Buhari's signature to become law), any 18 year old or more who has sex with anyone less than 18 will go to jail FOR LIFE. People who misread the law think it is 11. Go read it yourself - it is 18.
[b]And there is nothing in it that prevents an 18 year old going to jail for bleeping a 17 year old

By JULIE BOSMAN, New York Times.

JULY 4, 2015

ELKHART, Ind. — Until one day in December, Zachery Anderson was a typical 19-year-old in a small Midwestern city.

He studied computer science at the local community college. He lived with his parents and two younger brothers in a sun-filled home on the St. Joseph River, where framed family photos hang from the walls and a pontoon boat is docked outside.

And he dated in the way that so many American teenagers do today: digitally and semi-anonymously, through apps where prospects emerge with the swipe of a finger and meetings are arranged after the exchanges of photos and texts.

In December, Mr. Anderson met a girl through Hot or Not, a dating app, and after some online flirting, he drove to pick her up at her house in Michigan, just miles over the state line. They had sex in a playground in Niles, the police report said.

That sexual encounter has landed Mr. Anderson in a Michigan jail, and he now faces a lifetime entanglement in the legal system. The girl, who by her own account told Mr. Anderson that she was 17 — a year over the age of consent in Michigan — was actually 14.

The case came to the attention of the police after the girl’s mother contacted them, concerned about her whereabouts. They were at her home when the girl returned, according to The South Bend Tribune. A few weeks later, the paper said, the police visited Mr. Anderson, who cooperated and, in February, turned himself in. He was arrested and charged and, after pleading guilty to fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct, was sentenced to 90 days in jail and probation.

As an Indiana resident, Mr. Anderson will most likely be listed on a sex offender registry for life, a sanction that requires him to be in regular contact with the authorities, to allow searches of his home every 90 days and to live far from schools, parks and other public places. His probation will also require him to stay off the Internet, though he needs it to study computer science.
[/b]
Posted by Architez.

CC: Lalasticlala, Ishilove, Seun, Fynestboi, MissyB3, ijebabe
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by hawk05(m): 6:45pm On Jul 09, 2015
Tew
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by legendboy(m): 6:56pm On Jul 09, 2015
I just like myself
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 8:19pm On Jul 09, 2015
legendboy:
I just like myself

Meaning what? What has that got to do with the thread?

1 Like

Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 8:35pm On Jul 09, 2015
jaycool1970:

For my opinion consent age suppose be 14.

That na only opinion o. MY OPINION

*qote me and die*

Ok, why? Forgive me but u sound like a pedophile the way u said it without giving reasons.

1 Like

Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by jaycool1970: 8:57pm On Jul 09, 2015
architez:

Ok, why? Forgive me but u sound like a pedophile the way u said it without giving reasons.

I say no quote me u still quote me.

na my opinion, finish.

I no be pedophile o. I no like small small picken at all

This girls here don sabi wetin be nack by the time them don reach 14 or 15 and them body don develop

If them give u, make u chop. That na my own

1 Like

Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by UnknownT: 10:33pm On Jul 09, 2015
So what are you advocating? For the age to be increased or reduced? Btw, just like everything, does the age of consent work in the country? What is the current age of consent to sex in Nigeria?
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jul 09, 2015
All these punishment because of wetin na? grin

1 Like

Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 11:23pm On Jul 09, 2015
UnknownT:
So what are you advocating? For the age to be increased or reduced? Btw, just like everything, does the age of consent work in the country? What is the current age of consent to sex in Nigeria?

It is different in every state. It is 18 in Lagos and most southern states.
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jul 09, 2015
It scares me the kinda ideas some people nurture, especially people here on NL...

Now to the topic, a country like USA will most likely work with a far lesser age than this region (NIGERIA) because let's face reality they are exposed and matured than us...
But this should not make us lose the focus of the theme... Consent at a tender age may leads to lotta things, kids will start doing jail time and abortion won't be monitored and the likes... Catastrophe beckons.
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by UnknownT: 11:41pm On Jul 09, 2015
architez:

It is different in every state. It is 18 in Lagos and most southern states.
I haven't seen or heard of any guy arrested for having sex with a minor, highest I have heard is rap.e.
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by joseph1832(m): 11:47pm On Jul 09, 2015
Well to me I feel the age of consent should be what the constitution stipulates. But mean while, people still don't abide by what the constitution stipulates. We've seen or heard countless cases where guys shag girls who they are way older than, and the girls kept mute.

So for me I'll say, as long as both party involved are willing to tangle, they should go right ahead!. Its all a thing of chemistry. grin.

PS: if you quote me and call me a paedophile, I'll say you're also one because it takes a Lion to know another Lion. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 12:18am On Jul 10, 2015
jaycool1970:

I say no quote me u still quote me.

na my opinion, finish.

I no be pedophile o. I no like small small picken at all

This girls here don sabi wetin be nack by the time them don reach 14 or 15 and them body don develop

If them give u, make u chop. That na my own

I never said u r a pedophile. I said you SOUND like a pedophile IF you give no reasons. But now u have given reasons, u come across more reasonable.

But I don't agree with u. I think 14 is too young. 16? Maybe.
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 12:35am On Jul 10, 2015
Freemanan:
It scares me the kinda ideas some people nurture, especially people here on NL...

Now to the topic, a country like USA will most likely work with a far lesser age than this region (NIGERIA) because let's face reality they are exposed and matured than us...
But this should not make us lose the focus of the theme... Consent at a tender age may leads to lotta things, kids will start doing jail time and abortion won't be monitored and the likes... Catastrophe beckons.

Depends on what u call "tender age". The law senate just passed (that's waiting for Buhari signature to become law), any 18 year old or more who has sex with anyone less than 18 will go to jail FOR LIFE. People who misread the law think it is 11. Go read it yourself - it is 18.

And there is nothing in it that prevents an 18 year old going to jail for bleeping a 17 year old.
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 12:43am On Jul 10, 2015
UnknownT:
I haven't seen or heard of any guy arrested for having sex with a minor, highest I have heard is rape

That's because any sex with a minor is called rape, even if she begged u to do it.

Or maybe u haven't been paying attention. My neighbour was arrested for paying a 13 year old for sex. His saving grace was that he had money. He paid everybody off all around and (trust 9ja) the case was dismissed for "lack of evidence".

1 Like

Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 1:02am On Jul 10, 2015
joseph1832:
Well to me I feel the age of consent should be what the constitution stipulates. But mean while, people still don't by what the constitution stipulates. We've seen or heard countless cases where guys shag girls who they are way older than, and the girl kept mute.

So for me I'll say, as long as both party involved are willing to tangle, they should go right ahead!. Its all a thing of chemistry. grin.

PS: if you wrote me and call me a paedophile, I'll say you're also one because it takes a Lion to know another Lion. tongue

I admire your courage and honesty. However I think there should be laws on the books to protect children and animals. If what you suggest is implemented, how do u suggest they be protecred?
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 1:26am On Jul 10, 2015
UnknownT:
Btw, just like everything, does the age of consent work in the country?

I think we should have reasonable laws and strictly enforce them. Instead of draconian laws that are selectively enforced, depending on how much money u have. It only hurts the poor.
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by joseph1832(m): 6:46am On Jul 10, 2015
architez:

I admire your courage and honesty. However I think there should be laws on the books to protect children and animals. If what you suggest is implemented, how do u suggest they be protecred?
Protection should start from the home. It is the duty of parents to ensure that they instill in their children proper ethics and moral standard.

A look at what happened in the story above is a pointer that the parents of the girl failed in their duty. And as far as I'm concerned, the Mr Anderson in question is not guilty because he has no recollection or fore knowledge that the girl was 14 years old.

In respect to animals, you'll incur the wrath of many religious folks as the way they use animals to satisfy their religious belief calls for concern.

Anyway I believe its a thing the government should look into because child protection law already exist in Nigeria and the age of consent is 19 years if am not mistaken.

1 Like

Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 10:41am On Jul 10, 2015
joseph1832:
Protection should start from the home. It is the duty of parents to ensure that they instill in their children proper ethics and moral standard.

A look at what happened in the story above is a pointer that the parents of the girl failed in their duty. And as far as I'm concerned, the Mr Anderson in question is not guilty because he has no recollection or fore knowledge that the girl was 14 years old.

In respect to animals, you'll incur the wrath of many religious folks as the way they use animals to satisfy their religious belief calls for concern.

Anyway I believe its a thing the government should look into because child protection law already exist in Nigeria and the age of consent is 19 years if am not mistaken.

Actually in 9ja age of consent varies from state to state. It is 18 in Lagos and most southern states. There is virtually no age of consent in most of the moslem north.
You can bleep the girl even if she were six, as long as u r married to her. (Info courtesy of google).

As for the story above, I don't think the parents failed at all. What r they supposed to do? Chain up their daughter? I think it is the American society that is hypocritical. In US most 14 year Olds have boyfriends and are sexually active.
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by joseph1832(m): 10:51am On Jul 10, 2015
architez:

Actually in 9ja age of consent varies from state to state. It is 18 in Lagos and most southern states. There is virtually no age of consent in most of the moslem north.
You can bleep the girl even if she were six, as long as u r married to her. (Info courtesy of google).

As for the story above, I don't think the parents failed at all. What r they supposed to do? Chain up their daughter? I think it is the American society that is hypocritical. In US most 14 year Olds have boyfriends and have had sex.
Yes but our constitution legally recognized 19 or is it 18 as the age for adulthood thus the age of consent. But like I said, almost nobody pays attention to this age of consent of a garb.
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 12:34pm On Jul 10, 2015
joseph1832:
Yes but our constitution legally recognized 19 or is it 18 as the age for adulthood thus the age of consent. But like I said, almost nobody pays attention to this age of consent of a garb.

Google "Age of consent in nig", you'll see for yourself.

If no one pays attention, then why am always reading of people arrested for having sex with minors (it is called rape)? I read of a police officer caught bleeping a minor. They beat him up, then he was arrested.
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by joseph1832(m): 12:41pm On Jul 10, 2015
architez:

Google "Age of consent in nig", you'll see for yourself.

If no one pays attention, then why am always reading of people arrested for having sex with minors (it is called rape)? I read of a police officer caught bleeping a minor. They beat him up, then he was arrested.
What age do you consider one a minor? That police man was beaten because he had sex with a 9year old, if that girl was 16 or 17, it would have been overlooked.

1 Like

Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by innocentii: 3:08pm On Jul 10, 2015
I think Age of consent should be 15. we are in the 21st century where the whole system is fast developing, even kids nowadays attain puberty at 10-13 due to the stuffs they feed on. You will agree with me that some well fed young teen of today who attain puberty early do have bigger bosom and booobs than some adult and looks very fertile. donno if you have read about the youngest mother who gave birth naturally at 10 in Spain some years back. Even The bible said be fruitful and multiply without age restriction. I will say as long as the opposite sex is financially capable and mentally fertile enough, it should be considered a bigdeal.

1 Like

Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 4:01pm On Jul 10, 2015
joseph1832:
What age do you consider one a minor? That police man was beaten because he had sex with a 9year old, if that girl was 16 or 17, it would have been overlooked.

Mehn, u r really up to date on your current affairs. I didn't think you knew of that case, I thought I could get away with just saying "minor".

I have to admit u have a point. But I think it could be even more dangerous because you are lulled into complacency thinking it is not being enforced, then, wham, out of the blue it is enforced on you or yours.

But the reason it is not being much enforced is because there are no mandatory sentences, so judges can be very lenient. With the new bill that's waiting for president's signature that won't be possible anymore.

1 Like

Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by naptu2: 6:19pm On Jul 10, 2015
The answer to this question is actually very simple. I've had a busy day, so I'm just typing from memory. I will cite examples later when I've gotten some rest. However, the answer to your question are twofold.

1) Degree of separation: - Some jurisdictions have a clause that grants an exemption based on degree of separation. So for example, the law says that it is illegal to have sex with someone that's younger than 18 years old. However, there would be a clause that would say that the law would not apply where the age difference between the two individuals is within two years. So an 18 year old would not be arrested for having sex with a 17 year old (this, of course, is on the condition that neither party was forced to have sex).

2) Minors: - The law shouldn't apply where both parties are minors. They could be sent to a remand home or some other form of punishment could be applied, but certainly not prison.

I'm going to tell you what one of my lecturers told me (he told this tale a very long time ago, but I'll relate as much of it as I can remember).

My lecturer was once a policeman (he was an Assistant Commissioner of Police) and he also had a PhD in law, so he was appointed to many of those military tribunals that were set up during military rule.

A boy was brought before him. I can't remember for certain, but I think the boy was 15 years old and he was accused of having sex with a 13 years old girl. My lecturer said that he ordered that the boy should be released, that as far as he is concerned the boy and the girl are just children who were just playing. He said that he told the boys parents to give their child "good sex education" and that was the end of the matter.

1 Like

Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by naptu2: 6:37pm On Jul 10, 2015
An example.

Canada

The Tackling Violent Crime Act took effect on 1 May 2008, raising the age of consent from 14 to 16.[10]

There exist two close-in-age exemptions, depending on the age of the younger partner. A youth of twelve or thirteen can consent to sexual activity with an individual less than two years older than they. A fourteen- or fifteen-year-old can consent to sexual activity with a partner who is less than five years older than they.[11]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America

1 Like

Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 5:08pm On Jul 11, 2015
UnknownT:
I haven't seen or heard of any guy arrested for having sex with a minor, highest I have heard is rap.e.

Ok, this just happened. I read stories like this all the time.
(BTW, it is called "rape" because she is a minor not because he was ever violent with her).

Christian cleric, Ogunleye Cornelius, was on Friday charged before a Yaba Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos over alleged defilement of a teenager.

Cornelius, 50, who resides at No. 4, Abiodun St., Makoko in Yaba area of Lagos, is facing a two-count charge of defilement and sexual assault. Prosecutor Peter Nwangwu told the court that the accused committed the offences sometime in December 2014 at No. 4 Abiodun St., Makoko, Yaba. Nwangwu, an ASP, said the accused, who had been eyeing the 14-year-old girl in the neighbourhood, sent her on an errand to buy sachet water for him. 

According to him, the accused lured the girl into his apartment and had canal knowledge of her. The prosecutor said the offences were a contravention of Sections 135 and 137 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011. 

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 135 stipulates imprisonment for seven years, while Section 137 provides life imprisonment for child defilement. The accused, however, pleaded innocence of the offences.

Ruling on the bail application of the accused, the Chief Magistrate, Mrs A.F. Adeeyo, granted him bail in the sum of N200,000 with two sureties in like sum. The case has been fixed for Aug. 3 for trial. 

http://www.metronaija.com/2015/07/lagos-pastor-arrested-for-raping-14.html
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 5:33pm On Jul 11, 2015
naptu2:
The answer to this question is actually very simple. I've had a busy day, so I'm just typing from memory. I will cite examples later when I've gotten some rest. However, the answer to your question are twofold.

1) Degree of separation: - Some jurisdictions have a clause that grants an exemption based on degree of separation. So for example, the law says that it is illegal to have sex with someone that's younger than 18 years old. However, there would be a clause that would say that the law would not apply where the age difference between the two individuals is within two years. So an 18 year old would not be arrested for having sex with a 17 year old (this, of course, is on the condition that neither party was forced to have sex).

2) Minors: - The law shouldn't apply where both parties are minors. They could be sent to a remand home or some other form of punishment could be applied, but certainly not prison.

I'm going to tell you what one of my lecturers told me (he told this tale a very long time ago, but I'll relate as much of it as I can remember).

My lecturer was once a policeman (he was an Assistant Commissioner of Police) and he also had a PhD in law, so he was appointed to many of those military tribunals that were set up during military rule.

A boy was brought before him. I can't remember for certain, but I think the boy was 15 years old and he was accused of having sex with a 13 years old girl. My lecturer said that he ordered that the boy should be released, that as far as he is concerned the boy and the girl are just children who were just playing. He said that he told the boys parents to give their child "good sex education" and that was the end of the matter.

Thanks for your well-reasoned, erudite, and error-free write-up. I happen to agree with just about everything u said. I honestly think the age of consent should be 15 too (I know some will say that makes one a pedophile, but I really don't think so).

As for the degree of seperation, l think u r right on point.
Doesn't it seem so simple to u? It mystifies me how our law makers can't grasp such a simple concept! You shouldn't jail a 19 year old for having consensual sex with a 17 year old!

As for your story, your lecturer is very wise man. That's exactly what I would have done myself.
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 5:53pm On Jul 11, 2015
naptu2:
An example.

Canada

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America

An example. 

Canada

The Tackling Violent Crime Act took effect on 1 May 2008, raising the age of consent from 14 to 16.[10]

There exist two close-in-age exemptions, depending on the age of the younger partner. A youth of twelve or thirteen can consent to sexual activity with an individual less than two years older than they. A fourteen- or fifteen-year-old can consent to sexual activity with a partner who is less than five years older than they.[11]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_No

Isn't this Canadian law just so wise, yet so simple. Why can't the dimwitted law makers in Nig and US think like that. It almost makes u want to move to Canada.
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 6:08pm On Jul 11, 2015
joseph1832:

Like l told u, I read stories like this all the time. I think people are confused by the word "rape".
This one just happened.
(BTW, it is called "rape" because she is a minor not because he actually violenty rapped her).

Christian cleric, Ogunleye Cornelius, was on Friday charged before a Yaba Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos over alleged defilement of a teenager.

Cornelius, 50, who resides at No. 4, Abiodun St., Makoko in Yaba area of Lagos, is facing a two-count charge of defilement and sexual assault. Prosecutor Peter Nwangwu told the court that the accused committed the offences sometime in December 2014 at No. 4 Abiodun St., Makoko, Yaba. Nwangwu, an ASP, said the accused, who had been eyeing the 14-year-old girl in the neighbourhood, sent her on an errand to buy sachet water for him. 

According to him, the accused lured the girl into his apartment and had canal knowledge of her. The prosecutor said the offences were a contravention of Sections 135 and 137 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011. 

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 135 stipulates imprisonment for seven years, while Section 137 provides life imprisonment for child defilement. The accused, however, pleaded innocence of the offences.

Ruling on the bail application of the accused, the Chief Magistrate, Mrs A.F. Adeeyo, granted him bail in the sum of N200,000 with two sureties in like sum. The case has been fixed for Aug. 3 for trial. 

http://www.metronaija.com/2015/07/lagos-pastor-arrested-for-raping-14.html
Re: Age Of Consent For Sex : Is This What We Want? by architez: 6:14pm On Jul 11, 2015
barcanista:
All these punishment because of wetin na? grin

Exactly, my bros. But what do recommend? Should it be left up to the individuals?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Imo Police Arrest Three For Alleged Rape Of 12-Year-Old Girl / Nigerian Troops Neutralize Over 41 Bokoharam/ISWAP Terrorists / Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.