Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,362 members, 7,780,985 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:56 AM

The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. (8959 Views)

21 Overwhelming Images Showing The Effects Of Humans On Earth / Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth / Extreme Weather Conditions: 19 Coldest And Hottest Inhabited Places On Earth. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by Nobody: 3:19am On Jul 10, 2015
Mathematics is beautiful. Elegant. . . wonderful . . . such that just leaves your mouth agape when you discover its secrets . . . the ultimate truths . . . laying before you . . .
But mathematics is also aesthetically beautiful. It looks good on a blackboard. I myself often step back sometimes while solving to just look at the board . . . to just look at how beautiful and good looking it is. And no . . . mathematicians are not crazy . . . we are just, like Isaac Newton, little children playing by the beach . . . while the vast ocean of truth lies before us. shocked

But everyone else doesn't get this. They don't understand why some of us like mathematics, well, maybe this will help.
Ten of the world's most beautiful, elegant, and precise equations. They are just wonderful.

The very first equation.

[img]http://www.adpic.de/data/picture/detail/1___1___2___Konzept_Tafel_360015.jpg[/img]

Well, of course. This equation is the basic and most fundamental equation in all of mathematics . . . imagine, one plus one equals two . . . every single time. This proves order, this proves that the universe is guided by rules. This proves chemical equations, this proves all laws . . . every single thing we have achieved in science, we owe it to the fact that . . . 1+1=2

Is that not beautiful?

mass and energy

I once wrote that equation on my dad's car window. I also wrote it on a church window. grin
First of, the equation looks really nice. The arrangement of words looks really cool. And then, its true meaning. . . mass is energy . . . so . . . elegant . . . so . . . convenient . . . it means that all the fuel we queue for every night, the light we so often pray for NEPA to bring . . . the stuff we eat food for . . . it is matter . . . us, clothes . . .a piece of rock . . . our refuse! imagine the intensity of that truth! shocked

Pythagorean theorem

I honestly don't know how to explain this one. It is just simple. The fact that it is very simple and yet so profound is why it is one of the most beautiful equations in the world. This little equation allowed the Egyptians to build the pyramids, the Greece to develop geometry . . . it is incredibly useful and can be applied to many things! And we are extremely lucky too. That equation cannot exist if those the power is greater than two. And it took 300 years to prove what I just typed. Yes. Read it again!

So, keep calm and learn Pythagoras theorem. grin

Calculus

The study of change at the infinitesimal level. Not exactly one singular equation, but it is the key to many things . . . engineers and physicists cannot do without it. Even economics would suffer without it. Calculus is beautiful . . . and simple! Honestly! Calculus is simple. I wish life was as simple as calculus. It also looks really good when solved. grin
Here's one problem.

Speaking of which . . .

what one really is

[img]http://polymathematics.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/9s_equals[/img]

How many of you remember that clock? That one that had a lot of nines? Well, it turns out that 1 is the the result of 0.999999999999999999999 . . . . into oblivion. And the funniest and most interesting thing here is, in this equation quantity is the limit of infinity that in itself is so mind blowing . . . it basically means, if you run forever, you are actually running for a limited amount of time . . . if you are infinitely powerful, then it means your power is not infinite. It is the world's greatest paradox. Presented in a simple equation. shocked Cool, huh? One can spend hours just thinking about the awesomeness of this.

Standard model

Mathematics is simply the description of something more fundamental. And as such, the standard model describes the very things that make up this world. It is so perfect, it has only one flaw. Gravity. But still, it is quite elegant. It is actually the equation of everything. shocked
To know this equation is to literally hold the key to the universe in your hands! Not to mention it looks really cool when written down. wink
The atom and every small thing that interacts with it is described here. And it's incredibly wonderful. cool

The Almighty Formula

I don't know why this is called the almighty formula, but it sure is mighty. In fact, very mighty. Without this, in order to solve an equation of a quadratic equation, you literally have to GUESS! ewww! In mathematics, having to guess is ugly and clumsy. embarassed
But here comes the quadratic equation. To eliminate guessing and provide precise answer with no problem. And it looks good written too . . . it is things like this that make people love mathematics . . . the possibility that there is always an easier way . . . a more elegant way! Is this not wonderful?

de Broglie's equation

You remember when I said you are energy? Well, Einstein's equation tells us that we are energy, and this cool equation right here tells us when we are. It's so simple. You know, in mathematics, it is when something so easy is used to find something so complicated that we are amazed at it's sheer power and elegance . . . hence it's power. This equation right here clears up A LOT of things. Trust me. Without this, many scientists would fight and probably wound themselves. It's a Life saver. grin

Euler's identity
We all love this one. smiley

Are you done?

This formula holds the record for the world's most beautiful equation.
Google it if you don't believe me.

You know e right? The exponential number? You know π right? The ratio of the circumference of a circle and its diameter. i . . . is a very special number . . . it does not exist. embarassed
Yeah, you heard that right. It is the square root of -1 and that does not exist. Now, to combine several distinct symbols from different branches of maths . . into one. . . single . . . equation . . . I'm speechless . . . if this was a girl, l'd woo her, if she was a car I'd buy it. So . . . elegant . . . simple . . . fascinating . . . complete . . . every mathematician should know and respect this equation.
Otherwise don't bother calling yourself one. embarassed

The money equation

[img]http://www.optimist123.com/.a/6a00d83451c0c869e20154359c77ad970c-pi[/img]

Bet you didn't know that existed. tongue
This equation is for the youths who want to make money. This equation is for buhari who wants to make a naira a dollar . . . this equation is amazing . . . just look at that . . . one can control the entire economy of an organization or a country with this . . . so simple and yet so . . . obvious.
I suggest this for Nigerian youths . . . you guys might need this if you want to get richer than dangote. grin you should also master the asset-liabilty equation. Such an ugly one though.

So, I hope you know understand why mathematics is so fascinating . . . as mathematicians, we constantly seek to find what the universe is all about. Our curiosity is off the charts . . . so, it is only understandable that when we find a simple relationship . . . that shows us the truth . . . we can only marvel at the elegance and beauty of it . . . so, don't hate mathematics. It's quite the bomb. grin embrace it. Peruse it. For it is the very fabric of the universe. And without it, we are doomed to forever stumble in the dark. Lost in the huge labyrinth of ignorance. cool

Cheers!

Cc lalasticlala, Ishilove.
RobinHez, johnydon22, dekatron, faba, slimzjoe, xploraben

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by HungerBAD: 3:21am On Jul 10, 2015
Aside the 1+1=2 every other thing is Greek to me.

3 Likes

Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by Nobody: 3:28am On Jul 10, 2015
HungerBAD:
Aside the 1+1=2 every other thing is Greek to me.
cheesy
You're actually right . . . most of those up there are Greek.

1 Like

Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by drlaykay(m): 4:07am On Jul 10, 2015
Great
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by winetapper: 4:08am On Jul 10, 2015
embarassed
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by mormoni(m): 4:42am On Jul 10, 2015
Nice one
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by dejt4u(m): 5:14am On Jul 10, 2015
That's very nice.. Another beautiful one is s = ut + 1/2gt2

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by Nobody: 5:18am On Jul 10, 2015
dejt4u:
That's very nice.. Another beautiful one is s = ut + 1/2gt2
a worthy mention. cool
But remember, it has four brothers. grin
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by RobinHez(m): 6:46am On Jul 10, 2015
my boy is making me proud... grin
hey teem...i so much love v=u+at smiley
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by RobinHez(m): 6:52am On Jul 10, 2015
Teempakguy:
cheesy You're actually right . . . most of those up there are Greek.
4 those pics dat are only showing links, replace https with http wink
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by Queed: 7:18am On Jul 10, 2015
Nice equations, check my profile pix for more grin
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by dejt4u(m): 7:25am On Jul 10, 2015
Another very crazy yet beautiful one is the area of circle..

Pi alone can make u go gaga.. That value is damn crazy..aint talking about the common approximated value but the EXACT value of 'pi'
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 10, 2015
RobinHez:

4 those pics dat are only showing links, replace https with http wink
oh my shocked
Thanks grin
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 10, 2015
dejt4u:
Another very crazy yet beautiful one is the area of circle..

Pi alone can make u go gaga.. That value is damn crazy..aint talking about the common approximated value but the EXACT value of 'pi'
exactly! It's just so .. . . complex . . . I think Euler was the first to derive it to high number and name it. You gotta love π grin
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 10, 2015
RobinHez:

chai . . na wah oh . . . thanks though. wink
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by RobinHez(m): 7:39am On Jul 10, 2015
Teempakguy:
oh my shocked Thanks grin
*pats him on the head* one day u'd reach my status wink
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by dejt4u(m): 7:43am On Jul 10, 2015
Where is lalasticlala and Ishilove ??
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by nairaman66(m): 8:30am On Jul 10, 2015
RobinHez:

Your equation is the son of ;

A= v-u/t
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by simdam500(m): 8:40am On Jul 10, 2015

This formula from ax2+bx+c

Always beautiful when I see the young one derive it...

Nice one op
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by RobinHez(m): 8:40am On Jul 10, 2015
nairaman66:

Your equation is the son of ;
A= v-u/t
A son should/must/ be better than the Father wink
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by johnydon22(m): 9:04am On Jul 10, 2015
Am a huge lover of E=MC2 and a^2 +b^2=c^2 In a right angled triangle: the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.
(Pythagoras theorem is one of my favourite tho most of the times we don't give the Egyptians who first derived it the credit embarassed )
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by johnydon22(m): 9:18am On Jul 10, 2015
0.99999999999999999 into infinitum = 1 kills the infinite in infinite because it shows that forever/eternal still are encompassed under an infinite figure. . . A thought provoking beautiful mathematics that many will find hard to believe wink
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by MightySparrow: 9:36am On Jul 10, 2015
Make I chop my apu biko
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by nairaman66(m): 10:43am On Jul 10, 2015
RobinHez:

A son should/must/ be better than the Father wink

Maybe but not all cases!
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by Proffdada: 10:56am On Jul 10, 2015
Teempakguy:
Mathematics is beautiful. Elegant. . . wonderful . . . such that just leaves your mouth agape when you discover its secrets . . . the ultimate truths . . . laying before you . . .
But mathematics is also aesthetically beautiful. It looks good on a blackboard. I myself often step back sometimes while solving to just look at the board . . . to just look at how beautiful and good looking it is. And no . . . mathematicians are not crazy . . . we are just, like Isaac Newton, little children playing by the beach . . . while the vast ocean of truth lies before us. shocked

But everyone else doesn't get this. They don't understand why some of us like mathematics, well, maybe this will help.
Ten of the world's most beautiful, elegant, and precise equations. They are just wonderful.

The very first equation.

[img]http://www.adpic.de/data/picture/detail/1___1___2___Konzept_Tafel_360015.jpg[/img]

Well, of course. This equation is the basic and most fundamental equation in all of mathematics . . . imagine, one plus one equals two . . . every single time. This proves order, this proves that the universe is guided by rules. This proves chemical equations, this proves all laws . . . every single thing we have achieved in science, we owe it to the fact that . . . 1+1=2

Is that not beautiful?

mass and energy

I once wrote that equation on my dad's car window. I also wrote it on a church window. grin
First of, the equation looks really nice. The arrangement of words looks really cool. And then, its true meaning. . . mass is energy . . . so . . . elegant . . . so . . . convenient . . . it means that all the fuel we queue for every night, the light we so often pray for NEPA to bring . . . the stuff we eat food for . . . it is matter . . . us, clothes . . .a piece of rock . . . our refuse! imagine the intensity of that truth! shocked

Pythagorean theorem

I honestly don't know how to explain this one. It is just simple. The fact that it is very simple and yet so profound is why it is one of the most beautiful equations in the world. This little equation allowed the Egyptians to build the pyramids, the Greece to develop geometry . . . it is incredibly useful and can be applied to many things! And we are extremely lucky too. That equation cannot exist if those the power is greater than two. And it took 300 years to prove what I just typed. Yes. Read it again!

So, keep calm and learn Pythagoras theorem. grin

Calculus

The study of change at the infinitesimal level. Not exactly one singular equation, but it is the key to many things . . . engineers and physicists cannot do without it. Even economics would suffer without it. Calculus is beautiful . . . and simple! Honestly! Calculus is simple. I wish life was as simple as calculus. It also looks really good when solved. grin
Here's one problem.

Speaking of which . . .

what one really is

[img]http://polymathematics.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/9s_equals[/img]

How many of you remember that clock? That one that had a lot of nines? Well, it turns out that 1 is the the result of 0.999999999999999999999 . . . . into oblivion. And the funniest and most interesting thing here is, in this equation quantity is the limit of infinity that in itself is so mind blowing . . . it basically means, if you run forever, you are actually running for a limited amount of time . . . if you are infinitely powerful, then it means your power is not infinite. It is the world's greatest paradox. Presented in a simple equation. shocked Cool, huh? One can spend hours just thinking about the awesomeness of this.

Standard model

Mathematics is simply the description of something more fundamental. And as such, the standard model describes the very things that make up this world. It is so perfect, it has only one flaw. Gravity. But still, it is quite elegant. It is actually the equation of everything. shocked
To know this equation is to literally hold the key to the universe in your hands! Not to mention it looks really cool when written down. wink
The atom and every small thing that interacts with it is described here. And it's incredibly wonderful. cool

The Almighty Formula

I don't know why this is called the almighty formula, but it sure is mighty. In fact, very mighty. Without this, in order to solve an equation of a quadratic equation, you literally have to GUESS! ewww! In mathematics, having to guess is ugly and clumsy. embarassed
But here comes the quadratic equation. To eliminate guessing and provide precise answer with no problem. And it looks good written too . . . it is things like this that make people love mathematics . . . the possibility that there is always an easier way . . . a more elegant way! Is this not wonderful?

de Broglie's equation

You remember when I said you are energy? Well, Einstein's equation tells us that we are energy, and this cool equation right here tells us when we are. It's so simple. You know, in mathematics, it is when something so easy is used to find something so complicated that we are amazed at it's sheer power and elegance . . . hence it's power. This equation right here clears up A LOT of things. Trust me. Without this, many scientists would fight and probably wound themselves. It's a Life saver. grin

Euler's identity
We all love this one. smiley

Are you done?

This formula holds the record for the world's most beautiful equation.
Google it if you don't believe me.

You know e right? The exponential number? You know π right? The ratio of the circumference of a circle and its diameter. i . . . is a very special number . . . it does not exist. embarassed
Yeah, you heard that right. It is the square root of -1 and that does not exist. Now, to combine several distinct symbols from different branches of maths . . into one. . . single . . . equation . . . I'm speechless . . . if this was a girl, l'd woo her, if she was a car I'd buy it. So . . . elegant . . . simple . . . fascinating . . . complete . . . every mathematician should know and respect this equation.
Otherwise don't bother calling yourself one. embarassed

The money equation

[img]http://www.optimist123.com/.a/6a00d83451c0c869e20154359c77ad970c-pi[/img]

Bet you didn't know that existed. tongue
This equation is for the youths who want to make money. This equation is for buhari who wants to make a naira a dollar . . . this equation is amazing . . . just look at that . . . one can control the entire economy of an organization or a country with this . . . so simple and yet so . . . obvious.
I suggest this for Nigerian youths . . . you guys might need this if you want to get richer than dangote. grin you should also master the asset-liabilty equation. Such an ugly one though.

So, I hope you know understand why mathematics is so fascinating . . . as mathematicians, we constantly seek to find what the universe is all about. Our curiosity is off the charts . . . so, it is only understandable that when we find a simple relationship . . . that shows us the truth . . . we can only marvel at the elegance and beauty of it . . . so, don't hate mathematics. It's quite the bomb. grin embrace it. Peruse it. For it is the very fabric of the universe. And without it, we are doomed to forever stumble in the dark. Lost in the huge labyrinth of ignorance. cool

Cheers!

Cc lalasticlala, Ishilove.
RobinHez, johnydon22, dekatron, faba, slimzjoe, xploraben

cool
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by johnydon22(m): 11:51am On Jul 10, 2015
For the law of general relativity E=mc2. . E= Energy M= mass C= speed of light in a vacuum.
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by Slimzjoe(m): 12:04pm On Jul 10, 2015
Mathematics is beautiful?? angry angry angry angry
I find this Offensive!!

Even though am a Scientist, I'll always keep on saying, 'I Hate Maths' !!
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by RobinHez(m): 12:15pm On Jul 10, 2015
Slimzjoe:
Mathematics is beautiful?? angry angry angry angry
I find this Offensive!!

Even though am a Scientist, I'll always keep on saying, 'I Hate Maths' !!

u're alone in this o cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by Slimzjoe(m): 12:22pm On Jul 10, 2015
RobinHez:

u're alone in this o cheesy

Am nad alone atal!! I know Many Peeps who Have been Writing'O' Level s Exams since 2011 Cos of Maths...

Bru, what does 1+1 have to do with Saving a Patient's Life anyway ? undecided
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 10, 2015
great..thinking....kudos bro
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by RobinHez(m): 12:30pm On Jul 10, 2015
Slimzjoe:

Am nad alone atal!! I know Many Peeps who Have been Writing'O' Level s Exams since 2011 Cos of Maths...

Bru, what does 1+1 have to do with Saving a Patient's Life anyway ? undecided
If a doctor cant deduce dat 1+1 is 2, how do u. Expect him to diagnose correctly a disease dat shares the same symptoms with so many other co-diseases??
Re: The Ten Most Beautiful Equations On Earth. by Slimzjoe(m): 12:37pm On Jul 10, 2015
RobinHez:

If a doctor cant deduce dat 1+1 is 2, how do u. Expect him to diagnose correctly a disease dat shares the same symptoms with so many other co-diseases??

I just had the Feeling you where going to give this Reply cheesy

Anyway... 1+1 is Not Really the Prob.....its the Differentiation,Angles and Statistics that Makes me angry! angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

HOW TO HACK ANY WIFI PASSWORD USING WIFI PASSWORD SCRAPER / Pic: Full Picture Of A Dissected Human Corpse (viewers Discretion) / Nigeria To Launch Second Satellite Into Orbit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.