Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,002 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly (7757 Views)

Film Tricks In The Nollywood Industry / Movie Industry Is Evolving…with 44 Sequels And Reboots Coming Out In 2017 / Here Comes The Nollywood's Batman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 3:02pm On Jul 13, 2015
badinfluence:

Last flight to abuja has its faults.. but trying to imitate Airforce one is not one of them. The storylines are very different.. please re-watch airforce one. And you also need to be open minded about the growth of science and technology in Nigeria. Also, it's CGI not CIG. I'd recommend you watch 'gone too far' and give us feedback
CIG* or whatever,that was a slip. You are only picking on the wrong things. I don't have to share your view. I already made my point, new nollywood is losing it. Making movie about flying in the skies and cheeky love stories, are not people want to see unless you posses the technological skill to pull it off.

1 Like

Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 3:18pm On Jul 13, 2015
badinfluence:

Last flight to abuja has its faults.. but trying to imitate Airforce one is not one of them. The storylines are very different.. please re-watch airforce one. And you also need to be open minded about the growth of science and technology in Nigeria. Also, it's CGI not CIG. I'd recommend you watch 'gone too far' and give us feedback
As for gone too far,am yet to see that. I never said all new movies are bad. I only stated that some of them are not any different from the old ones. How is that difficult to understand?
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 3:24pm On Jul 13, 2015
Network is really bad at the moment,so i'll just post randomly.
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by badinfluence: 3:43pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

CIG* or whatever,that was a slip. You are only picking on the wrong things. I don't have to share your view. I already made my point, new nollywood is losing it. Making movie about flying in the skies and cheeky love stories, are not people want to see unless you posses the technological skill to pull it off.
I just realised I'm in an argument with a real life captain caveman.

1 Like

Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 4:03pm On Jul 13, 2015
badinfluence:

I just realised I'm in an argument with a real life captain caveman.
You have no decorum at all. I refuse to go down that line. I will just share my views and step aside. If you don't like them,it's really none of my business.
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by nwarosa: 4:05pm On Jul 13, 2015
And how do you recover such an investment with piracy?
Ihuomadinihu:
You want nollywood to produce futuristic movies. Is there any sign that Nigeria is technological advanced? Nowadays, every author is now part of new nollywood. B grade actors like Chika Ike and Joselyn Dumas jump into movie production,release a movie and call it new nollywood movie. At the end of the day,it's just a technological upgrade of the old nollywood,period!
Nollywood has been here for a while,for God's sake. I expected them to release it's own version of the Trans Atlantic slave trade and journey to the new world movies.
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 4:28pm On Jul 13, 2015
nwarosa:
And how do you recover such an investment with piracy?
Piracy is for another day on a different thread. Pls concentrate on the topic at hand.
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by nwarosa: 4:45pm On Jul 13, 2015
But no its not. You shouldn't expect more and better improved movies when producers can't recover the monies spent. Filmmaking is expensive, Period .
Ihuomadinihu:

Piracy is for another day on a different thread. Pls concentrate on the topic at hand.
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 4:54pm On Jul 13, 2015
nwarosa:
But no its not. You shouldn't expect more and better improved movies when producers can't recover the monies spent. Filmmaking is expensive, Period .
This is a thread for old vs New nollywood. I don't have the time to talk about piracy. You have the liberty to open a thread for that.
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by badinfluence: 4:56pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You have no decorum at all. I refuse to go down that line. I will just share my views and step aside. If you don't like them,it's really none of my business.
Stating one's view is something.. being oblivious and closed minded is another. I've honestly tried to see reason with your points, but sadly they are redundant.. no offence. What was really shocking is how you proudly compared the storylines of 'Airforce one' and 'last flight to abuja'. That was when I knew you aren't a movie enthusiast and thus have limited knowledge in the field.
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by badinfluence: 5:07pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Well.. since you're not a fan of diversity and thinking outside the box, those apapa boys are still churning out lots of movies you want to see..
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 6:36pm On Jul 13, 2015
badinfluence:

Well.. since you're not a fan of diversity and thinking outside the box, those apapa boys are still churning out lots of movies you want to see..
You see my opinion as silly? Then you are a DUNCE or are you are just being stupi-d! Where did i approve of the Asaba movies? You have simply decided to not understand my point. Why would a third world country like Nigeria make zombie movies when it's yet to join the jet age?
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by badinfluence: 7:02pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You see my opinion as silly? Then you are a DUNCE or are you are just being stupi-d! Where did i approve of the Asaba movies? You have simply decided to not understand my point. Why would a third world country like Nigeria make zombie movies when it's yet to join the jet age?
Ehyaa.. someone is getting touchy.. learn to be open minded.. your points are redundant, the truth is bitter. You're someone contented with being limited. Maybe it's not your fault but lack of exposure. A movie maker can decide to explore any idea so far as he can pull it off. That's why creativity and imagination has no boundary. P.s with the existence of people like you, the zombie movie is not far fetched grin
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by badinfluence: 7:15pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Zombie movies are classified under horror. Any brilliant writer can decide to write a kick ass horror movie exploring the idea. So there's nothing concerning jet age and zombies. Aren't there hollywood movies concerning witches? So why can't we have Nigerian movies about zombies? Abi zombies are bionic now? You just decide to limit Nigeria. There are many of us who actually love thinking outside the box.. because you don't, doesn't mean the whole country doesn't.
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by parrotibaba(m): 7:39pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

What the fцck is dis? How does movie making relate to d age we r in? oh! n we r not in d jet age anymore ,dat is so 1940 ,we r in d digital or information age ,i.e d internet ,which u r currently using. Why wouldn't a country like Nigeria produce a zombie movie? is it only limited to America? what sort of troglodytic thinking is dis?
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by nwarosa: 7:53pm On Jul 13, 2015
Then you are talking for talking sake.
Ihuomadinihu:

This is a thread for old vs New nollywood. I don't have the time to talk about piracy. You have the liberty to open a thread for that.
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Chai, lady i apologize for actually arguing with you in the first place, now i know you don't understand what making a movie is all about.

At bolded, you mean making a zombie movie that has something to do with a disease or something close is not a movie that a third world country like Nigeria isn't suppose to be producing? Kai, where were you when ebola hit Naija? Even the highest grossed movie(Avatar)'s storyline isn't of this planet but the movie had the highest downloads in history and made excess returns, that's thinking outside the box. CJ Obasi the guy that directed Ojuju think outside the box 'cause he was the only person that took the guts to shoot a movie that Nigerian's take as 'not our thingy movie,' and do you know where the movie has taken him? Even when James Cameron wrote Terminator, any producer he takes the script to rejected it 'cause they sees it as a meaningless script about a robot from the future that wants to kill the boy that'll redeem the future, the only way the script was later accepted was when he decided to sell it at $1 and he'll be taken as the director, so what the heck are you talking about?

1 Like

Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 8:12pm On Jul 13, 2015
Lol,as if these insults and personal attacks will make me swallow your views? I don't have to beg anyone to be civil and understand my point.
When we talk about tech and scientific advanced countries,does Nigeria come to your mind? Can you say that Nigeria is truly in the information/digital era?
Can the average Nigerian out there freely relate to whatever scific movie you have in mind? For God's sake,there are so many issues we can focus on not some horror zombie stuff.
While you all are pushing for diverse geners, am advocating for more 'Nigerian issues' to be made or turned into a movie. If you have to do a thriller,then you have to get it right. Am not saying they shouldn't be done but don't make a mockery of Nigeria by turning out a joke like the last flight etc.
As a Nigerian,i would rather see movies about Political instability, Corruption, Coup d'etat, Sea piracy, High profile kidnapping, Biafra war, Road to indepedence etc.
I rather want to see movies centered around Adaka, Fela Kuti, Ojukwu etc. Instead of watching some silly zombie movie that has no bearing on the average Nigeria. When Nigeria is ripe enough to produce Tech and Alien movies,then they will do it properly.
We need to look inwards and and tell our stories instead of trying to join the trend.
Nollywood would sit on its bum and tell me they are trying to make horror movies,while hollywood comes to Africa and steal our stories and make it a block buster. Look at what they did with Last king of Scotland(idi Amin), Blood Diamond, Hotel Rwanda etc. This is the kind of stories the world wants to see in nollywood,not some crappy film tricks in some alien movie. As if UFO and aliens belong to our culture and stories.
I was talking about some Slave trade movie from Nigeria,there is virtually nothing in that department.
We have many slave ports and markets all around Nigeria,why have they not been used to tell our stories about slavery. There are many landmarks in Nigeria and nothing is being done about them. Oct 1, Black November, Amazing Grace and Invasion 1897 were able to scrath the surface and received raving reviews from the international community. Seriously,if am looking for a quality thriller or zombie movie,i know where to get them. I should an American, the movie Secret room and he said he was indifferent and had better options.
We have established Nigerian hollywood stars. Do you think our funny zombie stuffs can pull them to nollywood. People want what is authentic and Nigerian. Look at what Oyelowo and Ejiofor did in Selma and 12yrs a slave. Why are we incapable of drawing these actors to new nollywood with the so called horror movies? Simply put,we need realistic stories. All the horror and alien stuff can never equate or be compared to the stuff in hollywood or even South African movies.
Why have we not been able to incoporate some of myths and legends into new nollywood? When hollywood make their scific stuffs,they incoporate myths from their oral tales. They incoporate their spitting dragons,dwarfs,leparcauns, fairies etc. What stops us from building ours around our mythical figures and animals? Must we mimic their version? How can you explain UFO,Space ships and aliens to the average Nigerian out there? Which Nigerian can not relate to Sickle cell/Abiku/Ogbaje myth? Why don't we have quality movies about this issue?

When people want to understand Nigeria and why we are the way we are. They are not going for any Ufo alien thing. They wanna see movies about Queen Amina of Zaria etc.
As for the people bashing Witch craft and divination,it's really a pity. We watch movies like Merlin, Hobbit, Lord of the rings etc. These movies are also built around divination, witchcraft,magic etc. The problem is your mindset,period. You have been brainwashed to think that our Africa stuffs are diabolical and evil.
We pay a lot of money to watch these movie yet they are steeped in witchcraft.
I have nothing against tech movies if they are properly done but we can't step away from real Nigerian issues because we want to join the digital generation movie*. In my opinion,movies are supposed to be a reflection of what happens in the immediate environment. Let me hear that nollywood is making a CID or crime squard movie about terrorist. This is a country that has no equipment or gadget to identify and sniff out a group of criminals in the forest, lmao.
When people ask me about nollywood movies,i want to able to pick out movies about Nigeria. I don't want to see some chick flicks(when love happens) or one silly story line(mirror boy).
I'll rather have nollywood produce 20 quality movies per year than some of the new movies out there.
Believe me,when people are ready to watch scific,horror and thriller,they know where to get them.
Probably when hollywood make a movie about Fela Kuti, Anglo-Nigerian war,Nnamdi Azikwie and Aba women riot. Then you would discover that no one is interested in your below average scific stuff.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by parrotibaba(m): 8:15pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Lol,as if these insults and personal attacks will make me swallow your views? I don't have to beg anyone to be civil and understand my point.
lady to be fair to u ,u r not making any point at all... and u can keep ur wacky opinions to yourself ,just don't bring it online

modified!

Yes Nigeria is truly in d information age else u won't hv any internet to post in Nairaland ,or give u d latest news on board even b4 it hits d papers
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by parrotibaba(m): 8:21pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
When we talk about tech and scientific advanced countries,does Nigeria come to your mind? Can you say that Nigeria is truly in the information/digital era?
Can the average Nigerian out there freely relate to whatever scific movie you have in mind? For God's sake,there are so many issues we can focus on not some horror zombie stuff.

Do u think everyone thinks like u? why won't an average Nigerian freely relate to d various genres of movies (which he watches everyday) ,if it was produced by a Nigerian? Do u think urself so low?
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
@Bolded, don't know whether you're referring to me, but i didn't insult you, zombie movies has nothing to do with tech, alien invasion has nothing to do with tech, assuming in early 2000 a Nigerian shot a movie about dreaded terrorists group, your kind of people will say, it's not so Nigerian, okay tell me the kind of movie do you think is a Nigerian kind of movie that we've not shot before? Nigeria as a country mustn't be scientifically advance before we'll shoot a sci-fi movie as far as an individual happens to be a tech freak which we have so many of them. And it's not actually a bad idea shooting a futuristic Nigerian films with a lot of skyscrapers and flying cars, or are you trying to say we'll never get there?
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:42pm On Jul 13, 2015
I have been interested in movie production for sometime now.
5 years ago, i auditioned for a role in an M-NET series, i got the role and i was given 2 scenes to act and i havent pushed my acting career forward since then due to school and my other career prospects
Fast forward five years later, my interest is back but in a different field- directing, script writing and production.
Yes, we are full of mediocrity and averageness but i have seen talents you cant phathom, our country natural resources with talents being one of them but the environment and resources to bring this talents to reality isnt available.
The average Hollywood movie has a budget of N2 billion Naira ($10 million) just to make their movies.
So the industry needs funds and support coming from somebody that has worked there before.
Aside funds, we need intellectual quality.
If we want to achieve quality movies, we must enforce drastic policies, there should be like only 20 movie distribution companies in the whole country so as to bring competition for more quality, even this top actors should audition for roles.
After analysing the South African movie industry i saw they are taking the step in the right direction.

1 Like

Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 10:14pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
While you all are pushing for diverse geners, am advocating for more 'Nigerian issues' to be made or turned into a movie. If you have to do a thriller,then you have to get it right. Am not saying they shouldn't be done but don't make a mockery of Nigeria by turning out a joke like the last flight etc.
As a Nigerian,i would rather see movies about Political instability, Corruption, Coup d'etat, Sea piracy, High profile kidnapping, Biafra war, Road to indepedence etc.
I rather want to see movies centered around Adaka, Fela Kuti, Ojukwu etc. Instead of watching some silly zombie movie that has no bearing on the average Nigeria. When Nigeria is ripe enough to produce Tech and Alien movies,then they will do it properly.
We need to look inwards and and tell our stories instead of trying to join the trend.
Nollywood would sit on its bum and tell me they are trying to make horror movies,while hollywood comes to Africa and steal our stories and make it a block buster. Look at what they did with Last king of Scotland(idi Amin), Blood Diamond, Hotel Rwanda etc. This is the kind of stories the world wants to see in nollywood,not some crappy film tricks in some alien movie. As if UFO and aliens belong to our culture and stories.
I was talking about some Slave trade movie from Nigeria,there is virtually nothing in that department.
We have many slave ports and markets all around Nigeria,why have they not been used to tell our stories about slavery. There are many landmarks in Nigeria and nothing is being done about them. Oct 1, Black November, Amazing Grace and Invasion 1897 were able to scrath the surface and received raving reviews from the international community. Seriously,if am looking for a quality thriller or zombie movie,i know where to get them. I should an American, the movie Secret room and he said he was indifferent and had better options.
We have established Nigerian hollywood stars. Do you think our funny zombie stuffs can pull them to nollywood. People want what is authentic and Nigerian. Look at what Oyelowo and Ejiofor did in Selma and 12yrs a slave. Why are we incapable of drawing these actors to new nollywood with the so called horror movies? Simply put,we need realistic stories. All the horror and alien stuff can never equate or be compared to the stuff in hollywood or even South African movies.
Why have we not been able to incoporate some of myths and legends into new nollywood? When hollywood make their scific stuffs,they incoporate myths from their oral tales. They incoporate their spitting dragons,dwarfs,leparcauns, fairies etc. What stops us from building ours around our mythical figures and animals? Must we mimic their version? How can you explain UFO,Space ships and aliens to the average Nigerian out there? Which Nigerian can not relate to Sickle cell/Abiku/Ogbaje myth? Why don't we have quality movies about this issue?

When people want to understand Nigeria and why we are the way we are. They are not going for any Ufo alien thing. They wanna see movies about Queen Amina of Zaria etc.
As for the people bashing Witch craft and divination,it's really a pity. We watch movies like Merlin, Hobbit, Lord of the rings etc. These movies are also built around divination, witchcraft,magic etc. The problem is your mindset,period. You have been brainwashed to think that our Africa stuffs are diabolical and evil.
We pay a lot of money to watch these movie yet they are steeped in witchcraft.
I have nothing against tech movies if they are properly done but we can't step away from real Nigerian issues because we want to join the digital generation movie*. In my opinion,movies are supposed to be a reflection of what happens in the immediate environment. Let me hear that nollywood is making a CID or crime squard movie about terrorist. This is a country that has no equipment or gadget to identify and sniff out a group of criminals in the forest, lmao.
When people ask me about nollywood movies,i want to able to pick out movies about Nigeria. I don't want to see some chick flicks(when love happens) or one silly story line(mirror boy).
I'll rather have nollywood produce 20 quality movies per year than some of the new movies out there.
Believe me,when people are ready to watch scific,horror and thriller,they know where to get them.
Probably when hollywood make a movie about Fela Kuti, Anglo-Nigerian war,Nnamdi Azikwie and Aba women riot. Then you would discover that no one is interested in your below average scific stuff.

1 Like

Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 11:46am On Jul 14, 2015
Am gonna continue from where i stopped last nite but i can't do that for now. MTN network is a bitcssh! Later.
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 7:38pm On Jul 14, 2015
Ok. So whether you wanna listen to me or not,i don't really care. I will just go ahead and finish up what's on my mind.
It's no gainsaying that other African countries are turning out quality movies that are catching the attention of the international audience. The question is what are they doing right?
Oscar 2016 committe requested for nollywood movies that will be up for possible nomination in the Best foreign language movie. Which Nigerian movie can actually filll this position? Maybe Unforgivable? Chetanna?
Nevertheless, AMAA 2015 is around the corner. What sort of movies and stories are nominated and apperciated by viewers across Africa. Your so called amaturish SciFic movies? Far from that.
People are looking for quality themes and movies related to Africa.
Take a look at the kind of movies nominated at AMAA.
Place in the Stars - Counterfit drugs.
Oct 1- Tribalism,Unnification of Nigeria,Homosexuality.
Le President- Political Violence.
Going to America - Migration.
Invasion 1897 - Western Imperialism.
Njinga Queen of Anglo - Liberation.
Run - Mysticism,Violence,Political Strife.
Dazzling Mirage - Sickle Cell.
These are the kind of movies,plot,storyline that are getting international accolade and reviews. They are stories of the lay man on the street, themes every African can relate to. That you are a tech freak does not mean anything to me or people who are not interested in it.
One of the best African movie(currently) is Viva Riva, a Congolese gangster movie. They simply weaved a story around Fuel scarcity and a group of gangsters and it turned out to be a continental blockbuster.
Nollywood will do us a lot of good by focusing on issues confronting the common man out there. There are so much stories to tell about Africa and our movies are not really doing justice to that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by parrotibaba(m): 8:45pm On Jul 14, 2015
And what about Ojuju which is currently gathering waves across d globe, yes it's a zombie movie!! ,to even think dat it's a low budget film which is getting critical reviews from reputable review boards in d world. And what about Kpians ? a Nigerian horror movie dat was nominated for the AMAA which is d biggest award ceremony in Africa, do u think dat de r as shallow minded as u? certainly not!.This shows u dat Nollywood is not all about Biafra ,kidnapping ,husband n wife thriller n juju. I'm done with d lectures ,like I said ,do not expect d whole Nigerian ppl to think as u do ,so keep ur opinions to ur self to avoid disgracing ur self further on dis platform.
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 10:02pm On Jul 14, 2015
parrotibaba:
And what about Ojuju which is currently gathering waves across d globe, yes it's a zombie movie!! ,to even think dat it's a low budget film which is getting critical reviews from reputable review boards in d world. And what about Kpians ? a Nigerian horror movie dat was nominated for the AMAA which is d biggest award ceremony in Africa, do u think dat de r as shallow minded as u? certainly not!.This shows u dat Nollywood is not all about Biafra ,kidnapping ,husband n wife thriller n juju. I'm done with d lectures ,like I said ,do not expect d whole Nigerian ppl to think as u do ,so keep ur opinions to ur self to avoid disgracing ur self further on dis platform.
^^What the hell is this?? At this juncture,i think i've had enough of your trashy comments,they mean absolutely nothing to me. Am not posting my comments for people with one dimensional thinking faculty like you. You have obviously seen too much horror movies and characters that you are beginning to sound like one.
If you don't like my comments,pls lay off. I don't apperciate this foolishness.
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 10:15pm On Jul 14, 2015
We need to see more movies documenting the ills in our society. Some of the old movies showed a few prospects of taking us to the next level until they plunged into their 4-5 parts movie.
Now that we have a new nollywood block with better technical skills,i believe it's time to be believable and factual.

We hear stories of Nigerians migrating to Europe under extreme conditions. Why don't we have a movie about this issue yet. We have a history of military dictatorship,militancy and political violence. Why have our movies not addressed these issues.
Some of you want us to totally ditch divination and witchcraft tales! Sorry,you cannot take away African religion,culture and lifestyle away from Africa.
I watch Chinese movies,and i see how they still display their religion,Kung fu- martial arts. They still make stories about their Kings and Dynasties.
Just because we wanna make good movies,we are not going to ditch what makes us African. I mean which Film industry in the world does that?
There are so many diasporian blacks yearning for a quality movie about African religion and divinity,why not make a movie around that theme. The Babalawos and Dibias can be incoporated into a 'zombie horror movie'. This is what the world is expecting from us. Movies told by Africans in an African way, not things about flying cars;nobody has time for that!
There are Africans that are neither Christians nor Moslems,we could have a movie about them and how they struggle to protect their local religion and culture.
There are untouched issues like Mental illness and Albinoism in Africa/Nigeria. Am expecting nollywood to move into these areas and tackle them.

1 Like

Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by nwarosa: 11:07pm On Jul 14, 2015
Seems you only care about your opinions and whatever post is contrary to yours poses an issue of comprehension for you. Happy posting .
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 11:10pm On Jul 14, 2015
nwarosa:
Seems you only care about your opinions and whatever post is contrary to yours poses an issue of comprehension for you. Happy posting .
Am actually waiting for you to make a useful contribution on this thread. I don't expect every one to share my view.
Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 11:26pm On Jul 14, 2015
The international community is waiting for movies explored from an African perspective which remains distinct from Western movies.
I've not seen any movie that has truly explored Nigeria's unification or Lord Lugard and Flora Shaw's role in the creation of this Nation.
Why are we yet to see good movies about our struggle for independence and the place of our founding Fathers in the history of this Nation. And someone is saying think outside the box. No, think inwards and you will find out that we have not done justice to our stories.
Am not even sure these things are taught in schools any longer,why not turn them into movies and give it to our children to watch for prosterity sake!
I want to able to pull out movies,slot it them in for my kids and show them how Nigerians resisted British expedition.
Why have we not thought about making stories about Anglo-Ijebu war, Ekumeku war, or the famous Anglo-Aro war. The general impression out there is that Africans had no civilizations,sold off their kins, sat on their butts and never raised a finger to resist colonialism. I wanna see movies that dispel and pull down such assumptions.
But why limit nollywood to Nigeria? We have succeded in working with Ghana film industry,what about others? When i heard that Nollywood was gonna do something in Gambia,i was really excited,only for them to come with 'Mirror boy'. SMH.
For pete's sake,we have better African story lines. The famed Amazons of Dahomey has not been made into a movie. Why? Probably,when Hollywood picks it up and make billions out of it. Then we can now truly apperciate our stories.
Half of most Blockbuster African movies are made by Foreign movie makers. The most annoying part of it is that they don't even make an effort to feature actors from the local scene. For how long will they continue to tell our stories? Not stories of monsters flying around but genuine Nigerian stories that is capable of moving humanity.
I hope directors and producers like Kunle, Tunde Kelani, Udoka Onyeka, Tope Oshin Ogun, Steve Gukas, Ikechukwu Onyeka, The Amata BrothersLancelot Odua,Izu Ojukwu and C:J Obasi will take us to that level where nollywood can crossover and compete at the Oscars and International film awards and events.

1 Like

Re: The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly by Ihuomadinihu: 12:03am On Jul 15, 2015
And for the narcissist fools that wouldn't stop ranting about Scific movies. What stops nollywood from making an adaptation of our novels? We have a number of Nigerian SciFic authors. Take someone like Nnedi Okorafor a SciFic/Fantasy author who has written novels like Akata Witch etc. Why not focus on doing something from our literature instead of going the hollywood way.
You want Sci/fantasy/Adventure movies right? What stops you from recommending an African fantasy novel like Amos Tutola's The Palm Wine Drinkard to movie producers?
We have Ben Okri, who is a Magical Realism writer. His famous ''Birds of Heaven'' should be turned into a movie by now. His works explore themes like Ghost,strange creatures, Magic etc.
Why is the new nollywood not thinking of lifting stories from Nigerian Literature?
We have Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irumole, another Fantasy novel by a popular Nigerian author. I will rather see the movie adaptation of these scific novels than see whatever skyscraper in a relatively poor country like Nigeria.
Honestly, i would rather watch what Nigerians,young and old,poor or rich can understand and identify. I like Frank Donga character in a comedy movie about a frustrated young man trying to survive in Nigeria. Which Nigerian or African cannot relate with the struggles of writing interview or applying for job or visa? It was nominated in the Last AMVCA though it lost out to 'The meeting'.
It's no longer a man's world. Am expecting to see more movies about Feminism. We have classic feminist novels,why have they not been adapted into movies?
To be continued*. The problem with Nollywood is not that it's dying but we don't know what stories to tell and how to tell it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Indomie's Noodles Advert: "Mama Do Good O! And To Me! To You! Your Comparism? / Please What Is The Name Of This DSTV Advert Song / Heroes Season 4 Chapter Five Free Episodes Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.