Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,629 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:29 PM

Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) (60927 Views)

Nigerian Skin-Bleaching Expert Shares Pictures Of His Transformation / The Dangers Of Wearing Fairly Used Underwears / Nigerian Women Lead In Skin Bleaching – WHO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by Winnergal(f): 2:30am On Mar 09, 2009
by Halima Abdallah Kisule
- Uganda -

Scores of Ugandans continue to bleach their skin despite a government ban on the sale of several lotions, creams, gels and soaps which are largely used to whiten, even and tone the skin.

• In extreme cases of skin bleaching, the skin can become multi-colored and marred with inflammation or scarring. Photograph courtesy of Halimah Abdallah Kisule. •Due to ineffective enforcement of the ban, these dangerous cosmetics are easily accessible anywhere in Uganda; whether sold over the counter, along the roadside or by hawkers, vendors move the skin lighteners easily due to high demand. Such is the popularity that skin-whitening products have gained today in Uganda.
Medically, skin whitening (or bleaching) products are used for treating pigmentation disorders like freckles, pregnancy marks, blotchy uneven skin tone, patches of brown to gray skin and age spots. Skin pigmentation occurs because the body either produces too much or too little melanin, the pigment responsible for creating the color of our eyes, skin and hair. It also provides crucial protection against the sun’s rays by absorbing ultra-violet light. Doctors say that those with darker skin are less susceptible to sunburn and the overall effects of sun damage.

According to dermatologists, skin bleaching can be achieved through a combination of treatments that reduce or block some amount of the body’s melanin production. Usually in the form of topical lotions, gels, pills and creams, these products contain melanin-inhibiting ingredients along with sunscreen. These treatments also contain amounts of hydroquinone, or mercury.

However, other cosmetics companies use natural ingredients to make melanin-inhibiting products. Extracted from plant leaves like the berry family, shrubs and pears, their naturally occurring arbutin leads to bleaching.

In Uganda, the practice of skin bleaching is common among adults with dark skin, especially women, but men also do it with little regard for the dangers posed to their bodies. Some people even use the products for anal bleaching to reduce naturally darker pigmentation of the genital and perineal area.

Consumers of bleaching cosmetics claim that they want to enhance their beauty. One woman who declined to be named, explains, “One has to look good, by having fair, lighter skin.”

Unfortunately, her skin is now multi-colored from bleaching. She has red skin on her face, yellow on her arms and dark skin on her back. The skin on her knees, toes and finger joints failed to lighten and remain black.
For this woman, the condition of her skin has only brought her shame; she now tries to cover most parts of her body in an attempt to conceal the damage done by the products she thought would enhance her beauty.

Those in the medical profession explain that this condition occurs from allergic dermatitis or irritant dermatitis (abnormal, extensive and often local inflammation of the skin), both of which are common among people who have not previously used the bleaching cosmetics.

“I have cases where people get severe skin burns. It happens when people change to something new which causes allergic dermatitis and irritant dermatitis,” says Dr Misaki Wayengera of Makerere University Medical School.

He explains that the skin of the people using these bleaching products get inflamed, turns red, enlarges and begins to loose function as the cells fail to produce melanin.

Wayengera says that bleaching can be achieved medically using low dosage hydroquinone, recommended at 2%. He advises that it should be used only in the areas of the skin that need to be lightened. He also advised consumers to always read the contents of cosmetics because those that bleach cause health problems like skin cancer, leukemia, thyroid disorders and delay or prevent the ability to diagnose leprosy. Mercury is the most toxic of these ingredients and leads to liver problems.

Though the East African Custom Management Act of 2006 banned the import of all soaps containing mercury, products like Mekako soaps are readily available in the country having been smuggled in before being re-exported to neighboring Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda.

“They are smuggled in jerricans disguised as water while others come in through ordinary containers but are declared as cosmetics, when [in reality] they are drugs that fall under the NDA mandate,” says Gyavira Musoke, Head of Imports Inspection at Uganda’s National Bureau of Standards (UNBS).
UNBS says that Kenya is blaming Uganda for failing to stop the importation of this toxic cosmetic despite the existence of the law. This is just one of the 400 prohibited cosmetic ingredients (that are defined as drugs under the Uganda National Drug Authority (NDA) regulations) that are on the open market. Products containing hydroquinone are still for sale after traders asked the Ministry of Tourism to give them some time to sell off their stock.

Ready markets for these highly valued cosmetics suggest that smuggling won’t stop any time soon, but demand alone does not explain why one would continue to use these dangerous products.

“Such a person lacks self-esteem, has low self-efficacy and a perception that she or he looks ugly,” says Mr Robert Wandera, Coordinator of the Psychology Department at Makerere University. “It is common among women who are not educated,” he adds.

Wandera’s colleague, Mr Calistas, says that it is very dangerous to have low self-esteem because severe cases can lead to suicide.

He urges, “Do something positive to counter [your low self-esteem]. Take advantage of the good parts of your body or talents.”

Prolonged use of bleaching cosmetics can indeed be disastrous both psychologically and physically. One lady who I encountered on the street declined to be named nor talk about her skin. Her dry, pale face showed no happiness. She had wrinkles too - not from old age, but from the effects of starting and then stopping the use of these cosmetics. I could easily read the disappointment in her face when I asked her to talk about her skin. Her response is a clear testimony to the negative effects of bleaching cosmetics and hint at the lengths some will go to for beauty. Her unhappiness is the other side of beauty that we rarely see, but one that can easily be avoided.

About the Author
Halimah Abdallah Kisule is a journalist in northern Uganda who, for the last seven years, has covered human rights, health, diplomacy, politics and education for numerous news outlets. She holds a diploma in Journalism and Media Studies and will soon receive her BA in Education from Makere University in Kampala.

Previously she worked for the independent newspapers, The Daily Monitor and The Weekly Observer, covering law and human rights issues, providing both with extensive investigative journalism.

Halimah endeavors to use her writing skills to bring awareness to the human struggle and find solutions to society's problems. She is married with two children

Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by SeanT21(f): 11:30pm On Mar 09, 2009
GOOD FOR HER!!!

From now on she will love herself for who she is!!
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by mohawkchic(f): 10:50pm On Mar 10, 2009
~Fook me! shocked Totally Grossed Out!
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by MrCrackles(m): 10:51pm On Mar 10, 2009
Was she deep fried in a chip pan?! shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by dominique(f): 12:24pm On Mar 11, 2009
yellow fever
u dey bleach o! u dey bleach.
stupid thing, ugly thing, yeye thing

na fela talk am o!, but i agree sha.
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by uzwu: 12:31pm On Mar 11, 2009
A word is good for the wise. I mean to intending future bleachers
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by dominique(f): 1:36pm On Mar 11, 2009
uzwu:

A word is good for the wise. I mean to intending future bleachers

yeah but not everyone is that wise, some people prefer to learn the hard way
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by spikedcylinder: 4:32pm On Mar 11, 2009
Bloody hell! shocked shocked
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by Nobody: 8:45pm On Mar 11, 2009
Shebi she wan Yellow. . . Lol. She don dey fried now grin
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by mukina2: 2:04pm On Mar 12, 2009
I see ladies like this daily.

Especially those coming  from senegal, the sun and the heat around these parts is very hot and they tend to apply harsh chemicals on their skins, which is why most of them look horrible tongue
The old, young. even ones darker than tar sef try it angry

[center]

[img]http://evasitoe.files./2008/10/khessaldc3a9pigmentation11.jpg?w=320&h=350[/img]

[/center]
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by MrCrackles(m): 2:08pm On Mar 12, 2009
Chei Muki, which kain piccys be this naw? shocked

Abeg it is lunch time, now you made me throw my guts up
! angry shocked
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by mukina2: 2:12pm On Mar 12, 2009
MrCrackles:

Chei Muki, which kain piccys be this naw? shocked

Abeg it is lunch time, now you made me throw my guts up
! angry shocked

close ur eyes grin

Seriously . .this and more gross ones sef. tongue you'll see them daily around
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by mohawkchic(f): 5:16am On Mar 13, 2009
~ Where's the BEAUTY in Skin bleaching?!
Thats a Rhetorical Question B T W tongue
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by TOYOSI20(f): 3:10am On Apr 15, 2009
Na wah oo, . . . . . .to think it wasn’t even worth all the stress at the end of the day,. . . .

i mean they purchase the so called skin lightening regimen lotions. . . .and this is what they get out of it??

PATHETIC!!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by ikamefa(f): 2:00am On Apr 16, 2009
shocked chei!
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by Sagamite(m): 12:05pm On Apr 16, 2009
Very good for them.
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by Ronke29(f): 12:46pm On Apr 16, 2009
That good For them Always Bleaching sad
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by ikeyman00(m): 12:57pm On Apr 16, 2009
@ post

that looks like funmi u got in that pic?

really bad thing; yellow fever
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by ayobase(m): 1:12pm On Apr 16, 2009
That wouldnt still
stop from bleaching.

They will tend to search
for new ways of nothing
getting ugly like those in
the pics!!

Hmmmmm!
Girls?Ladies?Women?
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by PurestBoy(m): 1:14pm On Apr 16, 2009
mukina2:

I see ladies like this daily.

Especially those coming  from senegal, the sun and the heat around these parts is very hot and they tend to apply harsh chemicals on their skins, which is why most of them look horrible tongue
The old, young. even ones darker than tar sef try it angry

[center]

[img]http://evasitoe.files./2008/10/khessaldc3a9pigmentation11.jpg?w=320&h=350[/img]

[/center]

Sister Muki, is that you? I just dey ask oo
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by bsanya(f): 1:49pm On Apr 16, 2009
Not 4 the senegalese and ugannda people alone tell nigerians the risk behind it. accept the colour God created u with. final
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by oluite(f): 1:59pm On Apr 16, 2009
geez! very gross
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by OLADO(m): 2:02pm On Apr 16, 2009
The very Beginning of Skin Cancer, Very dangerous, ladies and even guys be extra careful with cosmetics
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by Nobody: 2:07pm On Apr 16, 2009
that good for her
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by peleoju(f): 2:35pm On Apr 16, 2009
na wah see how them be like burnt corn. that serves tem rite!
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by mecylee(f): 3:04pm On Apr 16, 2009
GOOD FOR HER!!!

From now on she will love herself for who she is!!

I BEG FORGET THAT THING U NO SEE SAY NA NOW HER TRUE BEAUTY COME OUT, AT LIS NOW WEY SHE BI LIKE RUSTED GOAT OR CORN SHE CAN NOW CONTEST FOR MISS WORLD (AGBAYA)[i][/i] cry cry angry angry
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by tpia: 3:11pm On Apr 16, 2009
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by nonoy: 4:09pm On Apr 16, 2009
Eeew, JESUS!!!
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by OpeLovely(f): 4:20pm On Apr 16, 2009
These are funny! cheesy

Yet that doesn't deter people from still bleaching. I don't know if the guys they are doing it for, like the repercussions as well. wink

Black (not charcoal black oo) is beautiful! cool
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by laurelly(f): 4:50pm On Apr 16, 2009
[i][/i][b][/b]my oh my. its all i have 2 say lipsrsealed
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by blacksta(m): 6:42pm On Apr 16, 2009
Yellow Fever - Oyinbo is tanning to like black man while blackman is bleaching to look like Oyinbo

This world don mess up
Re: Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) by platinumnk(f): 7:29pm On Apr 16, 2009
blacksta:

Yellow Fever - Oyinbo is tanning to like black man while blackman is bleaching to look like Oyinbo

This world don mess up

True,  I bought some skin cream in lagos, to change the color of my lips because I was tired of ppl asking me if i smoke when I never put a ciggarette to my lips ever! I just wanted to lighten them , but I never used it. just pink lip gloss now sigh embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Wore It Better: Chioma Or Nengi? / See Why This Lady Says She Must Bleach / Cocoderm Cream,what The Side Effect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.