Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception (2421 Views)

Fani Kayode Blasts ElRufai Over Memo To Buhari: You're A Coldblooded Backstabber / Reno Omokri Blasts El-Rufai Over Memo To President Buhari / "A New Sherrif Is In Town" By Femi Adesina- Special Adviser To Buhari On Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jul 13, 2015
By Jarus and Dayo Williams

Sahara Reporters, July 13, 2015

http://saharareporters.com/2015/07/13/memo-president-buhari-why-media-perception-matters-dayo-williams-suraj-oyewale

All over the world, the media exercise serious control over the politics of any country. And many a time, what the media do is to weave perception into reality. That's part of media control. In real politics, perception is most likely to be taken as reality. Even a lot of the well-read in more advanced climes fall for this trick.

This brings us to the emerging trend the Nigerian media have begun weaving about President Buhari since he began to make some key appointments. It does not look too good especially when one considers the longer implications.

Before we proceed, let us cast our minds back to the gigantic efforts it took some of us to change the negative perception the Nigerian media weaved about General Buhari for almost three decades before his dramatic ascension to power again.

It was not a small re-branding campaign. Only those who know will understand and appreciate what we’re saying here. It's easy to downplay it as some folks have started doing. When it's time again, we need to remind these folks!

President Buhari was seen as a religious zealot, ethnic jingoist, a parochial northern irredentist and many other sad metaphors. And all these were largely believable by the Nigerian voting public until a surgical re-branding was done on the People's General to become what he's today.

It's saddening today to know that while he's yet to settle into his presidency substantially, the same media that played a significant role in installing him have started calling him an ethnic jingoist, either directly or by inference.

Few days ago, what started on the Social Media, majorly by the people that never wanted Buhari as president, and some genuine supporters of the president, about the seeming lopsidedness in the appointments made so far by the president, was given coverage by the Punch newspaper (“Appointments: Uproars as Buhari Favours Northerners”, July 4, 2015). Punch basically echoed the popular sentiments on the social media. Earlier, Sun newspaper had run a news report of how northerners are scheming to take over NNPC (“North Set to Take Over NNPC”, The Sun, June 29, 2015).

This may be perception which is no reality but a lot of Nigerians believe it's real. And that is worrying to us. Personally, we believe these sensational news headlines are unfair to Buhari, but we don’t know these newspapers for frivolities, especially Punch, which appeared to be the most professional and probably most unbiased – or should we say, friendly to Buhari - of all the South-based newspapers, during the last electioneering period. Hence, we take these reports seriously, and we want the President to do too.

A good number of the people that use Social Media, especially Twitter and Facebook, are enlightened enough to know what to take from reports, but the issue is, from experience, the millions of probably semi-literate “newspaper stands analysts”, once they form their opinion based on what news headlines say, are difficult to see every other move of a leader beyond ethnic prism.

To be frank, if we were in the shoes of the president, we would not appoint a Daura as replacement for an Ekpeyong. There are some moves that no matter how sincerity-driven they are, are impolitic. We are not asking the president to be “politically correct” at the expense of good governance, but we believe there are ways to marry both. He doesn’t need to ask “how will people interpret?” before every step, but all we are saying is exercising some circumspection in some moves. Having nine of ten appointments so far as northerners, no matter how good intentioned one is, will invite uproar and negative press in a country like ours where ethnic and religious suspicion is rife. Buhari cannot afford not to give a damn.

We spent too much efforts and resources rebranding Buhari. This is why it is difficult for us to fold our arms and watch the new image go down in dirts – real or imagined - again.

This is the reality today. And the moment his media handlers realize this, the better. If the trend is not halted now, the negative name will tag along until he finishes his tenure. Whether he re-contests or not, it is sure going to affect the fortunes of the party.

Come to think of it, if there's any genuine polling that's done on the popularity of the president today, many will agree with us that it's fast waning than it was before he was elected. It's a sad reality. Only the President and his media handlers can correct this. Some of us social media believers in the Buhari project to change Nigeria, have never lost hope and are still doing our best on the social media. But they should please make our self-given roles easy.

If morning tells the day, it's not too early to reverse some of these obvious mistakes so as to restore the President's popularity. Some of us have the ability to see ahead of others. We don't know whether it's a gift or not, but it has a higher probability of happening eventually.

May the President succeed in correcting the numerous ills the PDP plunged this country into in the last 16 years!

Williams, a media practitioner, and Oyewale, a chartered accountant, are Facebook friends and firm believers in the New Nigeria that Buhari is the face of. They can be reached via akinboyotemidayo@gmail.com or oyewalesuraj@gmail.com

http://saharareporters.com/2015/07/13/memo-president-buhari-why-media-perception-matters-dayo-williams-suraj-oyewale

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by feldido(m): 9:43pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ok oo
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 13, 2015
The issue is if this will be communicated to him.
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by Electronzeez(m): 9:50pm On Jul 13, 2015
Let them run their mouth like a public tap, let buhari work and action vindicate him of this media defamation by those who has sold their brain for peanut.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by Naijacitizen(m): 10:14pm On Jul 13, 2015
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by CyberWolf: 10:26pm On Jul 13, 2015
grin grin grin The truth is that Buhari's appointment favours the north, but the OP is being economical with the truth hence hiding behind the prism of "public perception" to vent his frustration. The earlier you people starts telling Buhari the truth, the better for all of us..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by themilanway(m): 10:35pm On Jul 13, 2015
Factual,well articulated,unbiased,constructive and educative.

I had to read over and over again.

A good read.

4 Likes

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by patrickmuf(m): 10:35pm On Jul 13, 2015
It's important to have the media on your side, but that comes with being proactive...One the other hand, it is best for us all to exercise a little patience as the government goes about her function, slow and steady has always bettered fast and furious from time immemorial...
God Bless The Government of PMB/VPYO
God Bless Nigeria and Nigerians
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by U235weapongrade: 10:43pm On Jul 13, 2015
JARUS..
Best Mod Ever..

Been a while I saw ur posts or topics...

Na Seun Osewa go carry dis topic hit FP personally.
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by BIGERBOY1: 10:44pm On Jul 13, 2015
If I get the theme of your article correctly it infers the president's appointment being loopsided. That I believe is a wrong and hasty conclusion given the fact that this is just less than ten out of hundreds or thousands of appointment.

If you had blamed the presidency of being slow then that would have been though inappropriate, but a seeming argument. Inappropriate in the sense that we are so used to crash solution and grand standings in our polity that we don't appreciate careful, strategic and meticulous planing before actions (argue as much s you want that he had over a decade to prepare, but he was no more informed than you and I on the state of he nation, now he is inside, its a whole new ball game).

Given the state of our print media doubling as rumour mills/tabloids (perhaps due to the fluidity and fast nature news evolves), the president's attitude towards the media isn't bad, because this will help bring sanity and thoroughness in reporting (at least we are no more fed week in week out with 'ministers to be named next week' news which always turns out to be baseless rumours)

1 Like

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jul 13, 2015
Electronzeez:
Let them run their mouth like a public tap, let buhari work and action vindicate him of this media defamation by those who has sold their brain for peanut.

Just don't read. Read again and again until you have comprehend what a particular thread is talking about before criticizing. These guys are friends to president Buhari and they are only reminding him of what some people think he has previously been/ or would always be.

Only sycophants will be shy to tell Buhari the truth when he's wrong. The president needs objective criticism in order to achieve.

5 Likes

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 13, 2015
U235weapongrade:
JARUS..
Best Mod Ever..

Been a while I saw ur posts or topics...

Na Seun Osewa go carry dis topic hit FP personally.

Thanks bro. I just say make i branch politics section again tonight.

1 Like

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jul 13, 2015
Jarus:

Thanks bro. I just say make i branch politics section again tonight.
Nice article sir.
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by Electronzeez(m): 11:11pm On Jul 13, 2015
Bluetooth2:

Just don't read. Read again and again until you have comprehend what a particular thread is talking about before criticizing. These guys are friends to president Buhari and they are only reminding him of what some people think he has previously been/ or would always be.

Only sycophants will be shy to tell Buhari the truth when he's wrong. The president needs objective criticism in order to achieve.

Oga you can pass your opinion without quoting me tongue and i dont remember mentioning anyones name
Let your opinion be 'aired' seperately from mine...........no try use me gba star/gulder grin.

And yes i understand every part of the thread......peace.

1 Like

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by MaziOmenuko: 11:12pm On Jul 13, 2015
Well said Jarus. Inasmuch as the president has the best interest of the nation at heart, he needs to understand that majority of Nigerians are VERY sensitive to issues bordering on tribalism and religion; and the enemies of the state had started drumming it in everyone's ears already.

The president has to find a way to manage governing a country as complex as Nigeria. I personally believe in him and trust he will deliver dividends of democracy.
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by OAM4J: 11:16pm On Jul 13, 2015
I agree with OP, but I will hold my breath till after 100days before coming into conclusion about Buhari's "morning that should predict the rest of the day".

But it's not too early to draw Buhari's attention to these perceptions growing in the media daily. Hopefully they will be corrected before they get out of hand.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by Nobody: 12:06am On Jul 14, 2015
BIGERBOY1:
If I get the theme of your article correctly it infers the president's appointment being loopsided. That I believe is a wrong and hasty conclusion given the fact that this is just less than ten out of hundreds or thousands of appointment.

If you had blamed the presidency of being slow then that would have been though inappropriate, but a seeming argument. Inappropriate in the sense that we are so used to crash solution and grand standings in our polity that we don't appreciate careful, strategic and meticulous planing before actions (argue as much s you want that he had over a decade to prepare, but he was no more informed than you and I on the state of he nation, now he is inside, its a whole new ball game).

Given the state of our print media doubling as rumour mills/tabloids (perhaps due to the fluidity and fast nature news evolves), the president's attitude towards the media isn't bad, because this will help bring sanity and thoroughness in reporting (at least we are no more fed week in week out with 'ministers to be named next week' news which always turns out to be baseless rumours)

Personally, I don't have any problem with the appointments, but 90% of Nigerians do. All we are saying is perception matters. We all know what we went through to "rebrand" him after of misperception, which unfortunately is buidling up again.
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by StOla: 1:12am On Jul 14, 2015
Perception matters a lot in politics and leadership.

Never let the opposition define you successfully. If they do, you're finished.

3 Likes

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by kenny987(f): 1:24am On Jul 14, 2015
Jarus:

Personally, I don't have any problem with the appointments, but 90% of Nigerians do. All we are saying is perception matters. We all know what we went through to "rebrand" him after of misperception, which unfortunately is buidling up again.

Even your 'rebranding' is another brand of perception, another angle from the prism through which the subject is viewed. For every rebranding effort u and urs made there was a corresponding opposing alternative but at the end the loudest drowned the voices of others. This game of shades is a never ending one so despair not. The rebranding must continue from both or even more angles until the best, loudest or most truthful, depending on the appetite of consumers, wins.

2 Likes

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by Nobody: 8:58am On Jul 14, 2015
Jarus:

Before we proceed, let us cast our minds back to the gigantic efforts it took some of us to change the negative perception the Nigerian media weaved about General Buhari for almost three decades before his dramatic ascension to power again. President Buhari was seen as a religious zealot, ethnic jingoist, a parochial northern irredentist and many other sad metaphors. And all these were largely believable by the Nigerian voting public until a surgical re-branding was done on the People's General to become what he's today..

Please remind him and his associates, convincing my mom in 2015 who I was unable to convince in 2011 was a tall order, getting my friends and colleagues to give him chance was no small task. I promised and delivered my friends, family and street: PICs below

Jarus:

This may be perception which is no reality but a lot of Nigerians believe it's real. And that is worrying to us. Personally, we believe these sensational news headlines are unfair to Buhari, but we don’t know these newspapers for frivolities, especially Punch, which appeared to be the most professional and probably most unbiased – or should we say, friendly to Buhari - of all the South-based newspapers, during the last electioneering period. Hence, we take these reports seriously, and we want the President to do too.

Trust issue is not a valid excuse, not only Northerners are trustworthy and all the regions can adequately boast of tested technocrats who will deliver and perhaps be corruption-free with close supervision. SAIBABA should not please let me regret being his mouthpiece since 2011, not only Northerners voted for him and he should please act fast on Boko Haram as I cannot understand why we are now on the defensive while few weeks to the election, we were winning the WAR. Baba 72, I believed and still believe which was why I risk the future of my unborn generation to give you a second chance to redeem yourself. You must however remember that posterity will remember you for whichever pact you create with this second chance.

I remain hayoakins and Moderators, are you guys really serious about that one month ban even after I sincerely apologised?

2 Likes

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by Seun(m): 2:59pm On Jul 14, 2015
What if they decide that, if the media is to blame for the misperception of the president, then the solution is to gag the media? I hope they don't.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by chymystique(f): 3:11pm On Jul 14, 2015
Few days ago, what started on the Social Media, majorly by the people that never wanted Buhari as president, and some genuine supporters of the president, about the seeming lopsidedness in the appointments made so far by the president, was given coverage by the Punch newspaper (“Appointments: Uproars as Buhari Favours Northerners”, July 4, 2015). Punch basically echoed the popular sentiments on the social media. Earlier, Sun newspaper had run a news report of how northerners are scheming to take over NNPC (“North Set to Take Over NNPC”, The Sun, June 29, 2015).

I agree with punch on their write up cause thats the truth! Even if you dont want to admit it Mr OP.

5 Likes

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by doublewisdom: 3:16pm On Jul 14, 2015
Good write up. Somebody should read it aloud to Buhari since rumour has it that he can't read.
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:52pm On Jul 14, 2015
Every saTANic plan by saTANoids to use the media, like they did before the election, to rubbish the effort of Buhari will fail.
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by Afam4eva(m): 4:03pm On Jul 14, 2015
The power of the media cannot be over emphasized. Most Nigerians based their opinions on what they get from the media whether true or not. It therefore seems to me that Buhari is playing into the hands of his detractors by acting the script that they have prepared. I couldn't be happier if i as a detractor. Before the elections, he was seen an as a religious and ethnic jingoists or the father of boko haram. He should try as much as possible to prove these people wrong now that he has mounted the saddle. The reverse seems to be the case especially as it relates to his appointments so far. Despite the fact that he is not done with appointments, i don't think the media has the patience because they live on sensations and what better way to sell news if you give people what they want. The transfer of some boko haram prisoners to Anambra is another grave move. Whether or not he was the person that initiated it does not mean he shouldn't kill that thought. He should thread careful and be wary of the kind of advisers he listens to lest he not go the way of GEJ.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by Afam4eva(m): 4:13pm On Jul 14, 2015
chymystique:

I agree with punch on their write up cause thats the truth! Even if you dont want to admit it Mr OP.
Ofcourse, it's the truth that most of his appointments are from the north but what we can't ascertain for sure is if it is part of a northern agenda that has always been alluded to him by his non-supporters. If behooves on us to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by An0nimus: 5:43pm On Jul 14, 2015
Seun:
What if they decide that, if the media is to blame for the misperception of the president, then the solution is to gag the media? I hope not.
Gagging the media will further confirm people's fears.
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 14, 2015
Seun:
What if they decide that, if the media is to blame for the misperception of the president, then the solution is to gag the media? I hope not.

Gagging the media will lead to further image crisis. I'm sure they've learnt that. The best is to perform and give no room for suspicion. Fashola is a good example of good press arising from performance. Fashola had very high media rating, to the extent that he may not have needed PR people again.
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by atlwireles: 5:51pm On Jul 14, 2015
"We spent too much efforts and resources rebranding Buhari. This is why it is difficult for us to fold our arms and watch the new image go down in dirts – real or imagined - again"

“A company of wolves, is better than a company of wolves in sheep's clothing.”
― Anthony Liccione

3 Likes

Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by babyfaceafrica: 6:11pm On Jul 14, 2015
@OP...you try..but I disagree...I am not to into this media paparazzi thing, buhari should continue to do what is right and leave people and media neophytes to speculate,you can't really stop people from saying what they like.Also as long as his appointments are based on merit ,I really don't care which tribe they come from as long as they are nigerians....so because he wants to make certain region happy ,he should give them a post ,even if they are nt up to task like other regions,....Nigeria will be great only if we disengage ourselves from all dis loopholes!!!
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by zimoni(f): 6:31pm On Jul 14, 2015
Seun:

Gag the media ke? Make GrandPa no try am ooooo.

Barcanista, APC nlers and media did a wonderful job to convince people.

Our PVC cards are still intact and 2019 is not far.

We are watching.

Lobatan.
Re: Memo To President Buhari On Media Perception by vedaxcool(m): 6:43pm On Jul 14, 2015
Seun:

Sometimes gagging a media would have been a preferable option like in Rwandan where the media played a negative role, if the media seems to perpetually promote tribalism and violence driven sentiments then using the appropriate sections of law would be in order. The more reason Nigeria needs a hate speech law. Rumors, hate and dissension are totally a different from the media.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Rescued Girl Shot By Robbers - Today / Wike Heading To The Venue Of His Suicide (Photo) / TOP! Time To Leave Nigeria & Assert The Sovereignty Of Yoruba Is Now – OPC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.