Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,856 members, 7,806,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive (36674 Views)

Throwback: The Most Bizarre Nigerian Freaky Myths Children Ever Heard (funny) / 10 Silly Acts By Whites That Blacks See As Civilization / Fulani/fulbe Traditional Beliefs And Mythology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by lekinz(m): 10:06am On Jul 14, 2015
There are some certain times in life where all you do is listen and believe people's talks and suggestions buh as you grow older you tend to laugh it off and make a fool of yourself for believing those tales.
Sitting down reminiscing, you wonder how you never thought twice about those talks which I refer to as beliefs or superstitions.
Don't let me bore you any longer, let the party begin, these are the 10 beliefs I can pen down.

ALL STUDENT WITH GLASSES ARE NERDS : I remembered during secondary school days whereby we are always "scared" of student with recommended glasses, we tend to believe that all students with glasses are 9ja Albert Einstein, dunno maybe it's the way they all behave or the way the glasses are being made. Awon eyan Harry Porter..

ALL HAIRY WOMEN ARE WICKED: I've always wondered how I came about this belief, how does being hairy makes one wicked, is there a particular gene that triggers the wickedness or is "Mama G" Patience Ozokwor also hairy grin grin grin

COCONUT WATER/JUICE DULLS THE BRAIN: I once saw the ingredients mixed together for intelligence vaccine and coconut water was also listed, how come that sweet juice dulls the brain

IJEBU PEOPLE ARE STINGY : Ijebu is a local Government area and city located in the South-West Nigeria. I've always heard people complain about "The Ijebus", Ijebu people are stingy, they don't spend money, they don't give out cash. Are they born with "Stingy" gene or there's a particular trait that brings that up, how come na only them ?? I still can't fathom the stinginess thing ... Abi one needs to trace KingTom's background cos errm

WHISTLING AT NIGHT ATTRACTS SNAKES: My grandmother once told me that whistling at night attracts snakes and evil sprits, how come ??... What if am living in banana island where there ain't no habitat for snakes, will they ( snakes) travel all the way from my village to meet me here in Lagos. At times I get lost in my thought maybe Lekinz wasn't my name, maybe am "Mowgli, the Jungle Boy".

ALLOWING BIRD'S POO ON ONE'S HEAD BRINGS GOOD LUCK/WISDOM :This do cracks me up a lot, I've made researches all because of this SHIT$, does the $HIT contains any supernatural power or the components that makes it up is the same thing Daniel ate in the bible ..

PUTTING A PIECE OF BROOMSTICK ON YOUR HAIR WILL CURE/STOP HICCUPS:
This also applies to wool, there are many times in high school those days where you see students with a piece of broomstick and you wonder if that's a new trend or fashion. I once asked a friend about the broomstick, all he could say was " I hear sey e dey stop am and me self don try am, na true buh if you dey ask me to tell you how, I can't categorically tell you cos my Oga at the top self no tell me .. That's all".

EVERY NORTHERNER IS EITHER A SHOEMAKER OR A KIOSK OWNER( Aboki):
I don't know maybe people do forget that one of the richest black man in Africa is a northerner abi ALIKO DANGOTE hails from the west part of Nigeria. Seeing a kiosk owner, one's first word is "Aboki", I know Aboki means my friend buh here in Lagos and other part of Nigeria it is been translated as Mallam or Hausa, what if the kiosk owner is Baba Biliki or Baba Mulikat.

ANYONE WITH "CRAZY HAIRSTYLE" IS IRRESPONSIBLE : The word crazy above doesn't mean the crazy from Oxford Dictionary, it was cropped out from Lekinz 2015th edition dictionary. I can't tell you the definition cos my Oga at the top can decide to change it in the coming edition but will give examples, people with hairstyles like Gallas, dread etc are being refer to as irresponsible folks, because I decide to barb one part and leave the other parts am irresponsible .. So if I decide to have a cut like Papa Ajaso's. Am termed responsible

FEEL FREE TO ADD YOURS ...

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by Nobody: 10:07am On Jul 14, 2015
Introvert get thee behind me tongue tongue tongue
FTC Na God win grin cheesy grin

Back to topic the last point about hairstyle, some dumb people still believe it.

I dedicate this achievement (FTC) to my parents, my weyrey crew grin and to my gf who made me believe in myself again. She made me believe I could achieve anything in life if I set my mind on it.
To my fellow niralanders, don't let nobody tell you you can't. Just believe in yourself and your dream. YES YOU CAN
THANKS

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:08am On Jul 14, 2015
......people still dey believe all this one for 2015?!"

1 Like

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by Erukumakanaki: 10:08am On Jul 14, 2015
Awon werey full this thread

sitting on INTROVERT's head jejely grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by gabazin080(m): 10:08am On Jul 14, 2015
You call it silly when you once believe them

1 Like

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by INTROVERT(f): 10:08am On Jul 14, 2015
undecided

13 Likes

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by naijaboiy: 10:09am On Jul 14, 2015
1)if a boy touches a girl she'll get pregnant.

2) Don't look at a mirror in the night else you will see a ghost.

3) if anybody calls your name in the middle of the night don't answer,,else you'll lose your voice.

The last two scared the shìt out of me back then. crylipsrsealed

26 Likes

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:11am On Jul 14, 2015
gabazin080:
You call it silly when you once believe them

That was then.... now wey men Don wise up,it's silly!
Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by gabazin080(m): 10:19am On Jul 14, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

That was then.... now wey men Don wise up,it's silly!
so you have once be silly before

1 Like

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:29am On Jul 14, 2015
gabazin080:
so you have once be silly before

Yes I have

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by gabazin080(m): 11:14am On Jul 14, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

Yes I have
and what about now
Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by stephenqueen: 11:17am On Jul 14, 2015
Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by gabazin080(m): 11:18am On Jul 14, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

Yes I have
and what about now
Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 14, 2015
if bird poo falls on your head, you will be a dullard forever

if you drink garri at night, you will dream of masquerade

if you kill spider with your hand, you will wet the bed

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by JeffreyJamez(m): 12:08pm On Jul 14, 2015
gabazin080:
and what about now

Over SMART dey worry me grin

4 Likes

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by stephenqueen: 12:32pm On Jul 14, 2015
lekinz:

ALL HAIRY WOMEN ARE WICKED: I've always wondered how I came about this belief, how does being hairy makes one wicked, is there a particular gene that triggers the wickedness or is "Mama G" Patience Ozokwor also hairy

lekinz:

COCONUT WATER/JUICE DULLS THE BRAIN: I once saw the ingredients mixed together for intelligence vaccine and coconut water was also listed, how come that sweet juice dulls the brain
Chai I no fit forget the first day I drank coconut water.Me wey no sabi book before, I just dey score zero the week I drank it embarassed embarassed. Ma grandma begin dey wonder say why I dey score zero, pikin wey dey score 2/10 before dey score zero. Na hin I confess to ma grandma that I drank out of the water of the coconut she brought from farm, cum see as ma grandma shout haaaaaa iwo omo buruku yi o le mowe mo( you no fit sabi book again) angry angry. But thank God say the following week, na 8/10 I dey score

lekinz:

IJEBU PEOPLE ARE STINGY : Ijebu is a local Government area and city located in the South-West Nigeria. I've always heard people complain about "The Ijebus", Ijebu people are stingy, they don't spend money, they don't give out cash. Are they born with "Stingy" gene or there's a particular trait that brings that up, how come na only them ?? I still can't fathom the stinginess thing ... Abi one needs to trace KingTom's background cos errm
Guy no be lie ooooo, ijebu people dey stingy die (apologies to ijebu people for NL, kingtom inclusive grin grin)
If your papa be ijebu man you , if u ask him to buy laptop for u na calculator hin go buy.If hin wife ask for money for food stuff, hin go say make hin wife bring the list say hin go get am for market himself.Inshort dem be akagun!!!! wink.Na why kingtom never marry and the mumu don get money.ijebu people I hail una oooooo cool

lekinz:

WHISTLING AT NIGHT ATTRACTS SNAKES: My grandmother once told me that whistling at night attracts snakes and evil sprits, how come ??... What if am living in banana island where there ain't no habitat for snakes, will they ( snakes) travel all the way from my village to meet me here in Lagos. At times I get lost in my thought maybe Lekinz wasn't my name, maybe am "Mowgli, the Jungle Boy".
If you live in the village and you whistle at the night snake go enter ur house o winkgrin

lekinz:

ALLOWING BIRD'S POO ON ONE'S HEAD BRINGS GOOD LUCK/WISDOM :This do cracks me up a lot, I've made researches all because of this poo$, does the $HIT contains any supernatural power or the components that makes it up is the same thing Daniel ate in the bible ..
self no tell me .. That's all".

Ma grandma mumu me no be small, I could remember one day when we were working at the farm. So wen ah come tire ma grandma told me to go rest under mango tree, the next thing I see for ma head na bird poo,na hin meself dey happy say I go rich grin grin

lekinz:

EVERY NORTHERNER IS EITHER A SHOEMAKER OR A KIOSK OWNER( Northerner):
I don't know maybe people do forget that one of the richest black man in Africa is a northerner abi ALIKO DANGOTE hails from the west part of Nigeria. Seeing a kiosk owner, one's first word is "Northerner", I know Northerner means my friend buh here in Lagos and other part of Nigeria it is been translated as Mallam or Hausa, what if the kiosk owner is Baba Biliki or Baba Mulikat.
No be lie ooooo, abòki people sabi shine shoe ah swear and their money no dey cost. grin grin( apologies to abòkis in the house) wink

lekinz:

ANYONE WITH "CRAZY HAIRSTYLE" IS IRRESPONSIBLE : The word crazy above doesn't mean the crazy from Oxford Dictionary, it was cropped out from Lekinz 2015th edition dictionary. I can't tell you the definition cos my Oga at the top can decide to change it in the coming edition but will give examples, people with hairstyles like Gallas, dread etc are being refer to as irresponsible folks, because I decide to barb one part and leave the other parts am irresponsible .. So if I decide to have a cut like Papa Ajaso's. Am termed responsible
Our polithiefcian wey dey barb low skin wetin dem dey do, dem no dey steal our money

*MODIFIED
Make I add ma own cool

If you top another person belle you no go get money until the pikin started making money undecided

If you drink mango after sharking garri u go die lipsrsealed

If you swallow an orange seed, a tree would grow on your stomach sad

Satan eats your biscuit when it falls embarassed

If you eat fowl yansh u go dey gossip undecided

If you marry Mami water u go get money sad

33 Likes

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by gabazin080(m): 12:37pm On Jul 14, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

Over SMART dey worry me grin
then I think you need to see a doctor
Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:02pm On Jul 14, 2015
gabazin080:
then I think you need to see a doctor

Why??

1 Like

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by stephenqueen: 1:08pm On Jul 14, 2015
INTROVERT:
undecided
E dey pain u say u no be FTC ba undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by ITooMumu: 5:54pm On Jul 14, 2015
[size=27pt] grin grin grin grin Lalasticlala Fp material[/size]

1 Like

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by Aspireahead(m): 6:56pm On Jul 14, 2015
let me just book this save for no reason
Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by SammyO4real: 6:56pm On Jul 14, 2015
[size=16pt]
11. If your teeth remove, throw them on top your roof with 9 stones so that they can grow back.

12. If lizard sees your removed teeth and swallow it, it will not grow back again.

13. If you kill an earthworm or a wall gecko, something bad might happen to you.

14. If you hear the sound of vulture, it is an evil sign.

15. If you mistakenly enter a cobweb, you are in troubles of witches and wizards.

16. If you have hiccups, take 9 gulps of water to stop it.

17. If you see mole(okete) in d day, it is evil.

18. If somebody cheats you monetarily, God will remove the money from the person's pocket.

19. If someone draws a line in the soil and an ant crosses it, that person's mother will die.

20. If someone is a bedwetter, he can cure it by urinating inside traditional stove(adogan).

21. If you try me eeh.... grin [/size]

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by tbagjames(m): 6:56pm On Jul 14, 2015
11 . Voting PMB will bring about change

10 Likes

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by wisdomiskey(m): 6:56pm On Jul 14, 2015
Na tru talk o
IJEBU PEEPLE
dem STINGY die!
abeg na joke I dey o

3 Likes

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by missKiffy(f): 6:57pm On Jul 14, 2015
I have a coursemate who is Ijebu, she is not stingy at all

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jul 14, 2015
undecided
Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by Oildichotomy(m): 6:58pm On Jul 14, 2015
I can tell from the write-up including the grammer and weird use of words, the average age and generation of the writer .

You Try!
Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 14, 2015
undecided
Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by Dindondin(m): 6:58pm On Jul 14, 2015
my brother told me machine gum can fly over an arocopter

2 Likes

Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by flopait: 6:58pm On Jul 14, 2015
Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by uleopret: 6:59pm On Jul 14, 2015
Men with bald head are always rich.
Re: 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive by jaybee104(m): 6:59pm On Jul 14, 2015
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Visits Oldest African Temple In Brazil Which Used To Be A Church.pic / Enugu Community Where Green Snakes Are Kings, Queens, Battle Men Of God / Alaafin Of Oyo And His Wives Attend Juma'at Prayers (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.