Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,811 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

Am Stopping Giving Money To Able Beggars - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Am Stopping Giving Money To Able Beggars (716 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo Declares Ifa Priests Wanted, Sues Them For Giving Oyinbo Titles / Giving Money To Beggars Vs Giving Money As Offering Which Means More To God? / Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am Stopping Giving Money To Able Beggars by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 14, 2015
Just Yesterday, a man well dressed stopped me while driving and i had to stop because i thought he could be someone i know. He ran to meet me and through the passenger's side window we exchanged pleasantry, in fact, he greeted me in a very familiar way, asking after my family - my wife, my children and my work. The next thing he asked me was my destination and i told him i was not going too far, telling him i would be stopping the next bus stop(though i lied because i was not comfortable with him), he asked me to lift him no matter how close. He entered into my car and immediately he started to talk:

Stranger: It seems you have forgotten me
Me: Something like that
Stranger: Have you forgotten the same Mr. Balogun of UBA,
Me: Hmmn!!!!( i have started noticing scamming)
Stranger: My brother, I have been retrenched from UBA and things has become financially difficult for me and my Madam also works in Osun state and you know the situation, she has no salary for the past few months. In fact, i trekked to the place where i saw you.
Me: o ga o, am sorry
Stranger: Please i am using this opportunity to solicit for your financial assistance as i am having nothing on me right now.
Me: Am sorry sir, i have also been on the road running after some money, this is where i am going. (I parked the car, and he reluctantly opened the door to come down, probably he thought i will give her something, i closed the door and zoomed off)

I moved a distance of almost 500m and i saw a very popular 'amala buka' in that area, i quickly stopped and ordered for 1 loaf of White 'Amala',1 'ogunfe' and 1 bottled water . While i was busy with my food i noticed a man entered and put his food on the table right in front of me, i did not bother to look at the face of the person but i got attracted to the plate of amala in my front because of many meats the man ordered for, then i heard the same man ordering for 5 Alive, it was then i looked up and to my surprise it happened to be the same man i dropped less than 5 minutes ago. I quickly put my face off him because i did not want him to notice me, unknown to me that he has recognized me already and the following conversation ensued again.

Stranger: Hello Sir
Me: Good afternoon
Stranger: It seems your face is familiar
Me: Ok
Stranger: Were you not the one who dropped me just now
Me: No!!
Me: Do you live around here
Stranger: Yes(he mentioned his place and used his hand to point)
Me: I live not too far from here too, you might have seen my brother because we look so much alike.
Stranger: I am Kunle by name, its nice to see you
Me: Ok (i did not want further conversation with him as i stood up, washed my hand and left having finished my food) and while going out i just said, 'have a nice day, Mr Kunle'

Then i started thinking over it. The same Mr. Balogun has turned to Mr Kunle. While i managed to spend N450, a beggar is spending over N1000. In fact it would have pained me had i given him money. I decided not to give alms to able bodied beggars anymore.

www.aftatech.com
Re: Am Stopping Giving Money To Able Beggars by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jul 14, 2015
Lessons learnt...
Re: Am Stopping Giving Money To Able Beggars by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jul 14, 2015
But some of them do need your help genuinely.. I remember when I was stranded on ma way to Lagos and nobody was ready to help because I was well dressed. I had to sell my phone that day to avoid further insults.

1 Like

Re: Am Stopping Giving Money To Able Beggars by sainty2k3(m): 3:03pm On Jul 14, 2015
I was in dilemma either to give them or not then a friend told me ' whatsoever makes someone to approach u for money then u should consider giving him' because human being are naturally 'Proud' to be begging for money, those people must have found themselves in a terrible situation. Besides u never can tell who is not faking it. Some people are actually stranded it has happened to some friends of mine

1 Like

Re: Am Stopping Giving Money To Able Beggars by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 14, 2015
Tydies:
But some of them do need your help genuinely.. I remember when I was stranded on ma way to Lagos and nobody was ready to help because I was well dressed. I had to sell my phone that day to avoid further insults.

it shows you have not exhausted all avenues to get money on your own before looking for help, there is a saying in yoruba that 'you use what you have to get what you want'.
Re: Am Stopping Giving Money To Able Beggars by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 14, 2015
sainty2k3:
I was in dilemma either to give them or not then a friend told me ' whatsoever makes someone to approach u for money then u should consider giving him' because human being are naturally 'Proud' to be begging for money, those people must have found themselves in a terrible situation. Besides u never can tell who is not faking it. Some people are actually stranded it has happened to some friends of mine

The problem is how do we identify those who are in need genuinely in a society where begging has turned to profession. And the worst thing is that when you give to those scammers they end up calling you fools. Not all humans are Proud as you claimed o. Some have no modicum of pride and shame in them when it comes to begging for money, they see themselves as 'smart' while those who give them as 'fools'.
Re: Am Stopping Giving Money To Able Beggars by sainty2k3(m): 7:03pm On Jul 14, 2015
aftatech:

The problem is how do we identify those who are in need genuinely in a society where begging has turned to profession. And the worst thing is that when you give to those scammers they end up calling you fools. Not all humans are Proud as you claimed o. Some have no modicum of pride and shame in them when it comes to begging for money, they see themselves as 'smart' while those who give them as 'fools'.
Noo, what just give , with the right mindset (that u are serving God through the money) . u need not to be worried if he thinks u are a fool. Consider this , he descended so low to begging for money to eat, if he's actually smart he would have done someing better with his life. So who ois the fool here.
Re: Am Stopping Giving Money To Able Beggars by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jul 14, 2015
sainty2k3:

Noo, what just give , with the right mindset (that u are serving God through the money) . u need not to be worried if he thinks u are a fool. Consider this , he descended so low to begging for money to eat, if he's actually smart he would have done someing better with his life. So who ois the fool here.

ok o

(1) (Reply)

Checkout 7 Stages Of Rituals The New Ooni Of Ife Is Set To Undergo / Traditiona Doctor Love Spells Lost Love Spell Caster Voodoo Spiritual Psychic UK / Withdrew Due To A Knee Injury Making This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.