Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland (10824 Views)

Diezani Alison-Madueke's Lagos Properties In Pictures - EFCC / Appeal Court Upholds Election Of Ortom, Benue Governor / Supreme Court Upholds The Election Of Okorocha As Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by carnegiefan: 11:33pm On Nov 28, 2015
Ioannes:

and if she is the only child, wetin go happen

This question is why I lament the colonization of Igbo culture.
According to my Igbo tradition before the colonialists came, the girl would be at her fathers house and have as many children as she wants from a man she chooses from outside her bloodline. The children will belong to her family not the biological fathers'.
She would be deemed "a man" for that purpose. If she is barren, she can "marry" another woman to have kids for her.
A ritual is performed to transform her into "a man" for the purposes of inheriting her father and playing his roles.
Only males inherit properties in Igboland.

4 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Balkan(m): 11:43pm On Nov 28, 2015
Are they saying that a son inlaw will now come to my village and take the land that should belong to my son? Rubbish!

It can work in Igbo land. That's. Why yorubas born for any rich man they sleep with. It can't work in my own property.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Nwanyihanuo: 11:45pm On Nov 28, 2015
May God almighty bless the judges and lawyers who took part in this judgment.
May God punish all those who are NOT happy with d judgement and all those who treat women with disdain

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Stolen: 11:47pm On Nov 28, 2015
Nwanyihanuo:
May God almighty bless the judges and lawyers who took part in this judgment.
May God punish all those who are NOT happy with d judgement and all those who treat women with disdain

He has logged on with another moniker. I think we already know the man behind the moniker.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Nobody: 12:10am On Nov 29, 2015
Tdarry:
The Supreme Court has voided the Igbo law and custom, which forbid a female from inheriting her late father’s estate, on the grounds that it is discriminatory and conflicts with the provision of the constitution.

The court held that the practice conflicted with section 42(1)(a) and (2) of the 1999 Constitution. The judgment was on the appeal marked: SC.224/2004 filed by Mrs. Lois Chituru Ukeje (wife of the late Lazarus Ogbonna Ukeje) and their son, Enyinnaya Lazarus Ukeje against Mrs. Cladys Ada Ukeje (the deceased’s daughter).

Cladys had sued the deceased’s wife and son before the Lagos High Court, claiming to be one of the deceased’s children and sought to be included among those to administer their deceased’s father’s estate.

The trial court found that he was a daughter to the deceased and that she was qualified to benefit from the estate of their father who died intestate in Lagos in1981.

The Court of Appeal, Lagos to which Mrs. Lois Ukeje and Enyinnaya Ukeje appealed, upheld the decision of the trail court, prompting them to appeal to the Supreme Court.
In its judgment last Friday, the Supreme Court held that the Court of Appeal, Lagos was right to have voided the Igbo’s native law and custom that disinherit female children.

Justice Bode Rhodes-Vivour, who read the lead judgment, held that “no matter the circumstances of the birth of a female child, such a child is entitled to an inheritance from her later father’s estate.

“Consequently, the Igbo customary law, which disentitles a female child from partaking in the sharing of her deceased father’s estate is breach of Section 42(1) and (2) of the Constitution, a fundamental rights provision guaranteed to every Nigerian.

“The said discriminatory customary law is void as it conflicts with Section 42(1) and (2) of the Constitution. In the light of all that I have been saying, the appeal is dismissed. In the spirit of reconciliation, parties to bear their own costs,” Justice Rhodes-Vivour said.

Justices Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, Claral Bata Ogunbiyi, Kumai Bayang Aka’ahs and John Inyang Okoro, who were part of the panel that heard the appeal, agreed with the lead judgment.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/supreme-court-upholds-right-of-female-child-to-inherit-properties-in-igboland/176214/#.VaU5WsreukI.twitter

Who I carrying around lies. In igboland, women get inheritance from their ffather. The only one impossible for them is inheriting communal land or communal houses
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by yommen: 12:22am On Nov 29, 2015
Stolen:

U are crying for igbos again or advising us again. Only if u know wat is in our heads. Only if you know.

All that is on your head is junks(igbe).

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by yommen: 12:27am On Nov 29, 2015
Stolen:

And after the punch u write my will to include my daughters abi? Or i bend over and drop my trouser for u to have a good poke in my anus abi?

I will not tell you wat i do to people like you. That is my little secret.

okponu sowenu.

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by ISpiksDaTroof: 12:29am On Nov 29, 2015
The Igbo society is one built on discrimination.

Twins, women, Osu, inheritance, discrimination against visitors....

And the list goes on and on.

4 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Nobody: 12:29am On Nov 29, 2015
[s]
Stolen:

He has logged on with another moniker. I think we already know the man behind the moniker.
[/s]

YOU ARE AN 1DIOT

TELL ME WHAT HAS YORUBA GOT TO DO WITH THIS THUNDER FAYA YOUR MOTHER TOTO FOR DRAGGING YORUBA INTO THIS MATTER AND YOU'RE SAYING WE'LL GO CRAZY ON YOUR MATTER WHEN YOU'RE THE ONE TALKING ABOUT US.MONKEY

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by yommen: 12:32am On Nov 29, 2015
SegunAdewole:

I somehow agree with you, i learnt that in Iboland when daughters are married off, they are given their own inheritance. This is important so that gold digging able bodied men masquerading as husband won't reap where they did not sow.
Imagine your sister inlaw dragging your father's property with you the sons after possibly murdering her.

Na wa o! What's even the worth of the property she go get self? How are you sure that the property wey you no wan give her translates to poverty to her husband. Gold digger my foot.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by yommen: 12:33am On Nov 29, 2015
SegunAdewole:

I somehow agree with you, i learnt that in Iboland when daughters are married off, they are given their own inheritance. This is important so that gold digging able bodied men masquerading as husband won't reap where they did not sow.
Imagine your sister inlaw dragging your father's property with you the sons after possibly murdering her.

Na wa o! What's even the worth of the property she go get self? How are you sure that the property wey you no wan give her translates to poverty to her husband. Gold digger my foot. You people are too greedy and too materialistic.

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Nobody: 12:42am On Nov 29, 2015
yommen:

Na wa o! What's even the worth of the property she go get self? How are you sure that the property wey you no wan give her translates to poverty to her husband. Gold digger my foot. You people are too greedy and too materialistic.

I LIKE HOW YOU WERE ABLE TO IDENTIFY THAT THE 1DIOT IS AN IPOD TOUT.VERY SHAMELESS OAFS

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by SegunAdewole: 12:45am On Nov 29, 2015
Babatundetinubu:

According to ibo tradition, she is worth nothing. I can't believe this o.........so women in ibo land cannot inherit their family property if he dies without a will?....what babarism is this.....these are the same people who practice osu?

Ibos educate their women more than we yorubas. How many yoruba women are in the class of Okonjo, Ezekwesili, Bianca, Joy ogu, in terms of intelligence? Our old men in yorubaland are busy sleeping with their daughters while Iboz spend the last dime to see their female children through school. What inheritance is bigger than sound education that Ibo women have better than every other women in Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by yommen: 12:50am On Nov 29, 2015
Babatundetinubu:

According to ibo tradition, she is worth nothing. I can't believe this o.........so women in ibo land cannot inherit their family property if he dies without a will?....what babarism is this.....these are the same people who practice osu?

And they refer to Nigeria as a zoo while Biafra is the land of the rising sun. So which one of the two is a zoo now? Aren't they the animals? Anyway, Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is a Zoology lecturer. He'll be the Zoo CEO.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Nobody: 12:56am On Nov 29, 2015
[s]
SegunAdewole:

My yoruba brother, what have i done?
[/s]

YOUR FFADA YANSH! IPOB FOO.L.DON'T GO AND FIND JOB.CONTINUE CREATING USELESS ACCOUNTS WHEN YOUR MATES ARE MAKING MONEY.Y1BO OAF

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Kagawa10: 12:57am On Nov 29, 2015
Balkan:
Are they saying that a son inlaw will now come to my village and take the land that should belong to my son? Rubbish!

It can work in Igbo land. That's. Why yorubas born for any rich man they sleep with. It can't work in my own property.
Like genevive did?

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Nobody: 12:59am On Nov 29, 2015
[s]
SegunAdewole:

All these Curse for me? God bless you my yoruba brother.
[/s]

YOU SHOULD PRAY FOR YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU'RE CURSED FROM BIRTH

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by SegunAdewole: 1:03am On Nov 29, 2015
The court verdict is purely academic. Ibo men that want to live properties for their daughter will do it whether a court verdict was given or not. Marry a husband, what belong to your husband should belong to you. Allow your brothers to have theirs too.

Taking from your husband and father, while your brothers only take from their father alone won't be fair.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by SegunAdewole: 1:04am On Nov 29, 2015
kaakulator4:
[s][/s]

YOU SHOULD PRAY FOR YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU'RE CURSED FROM BIRTH

But you are the man wearing a skirt? Is it a blessing for an old man like you to wear a skirt? My namesake?
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Nobody: 1:07am On Nov 29, 2015
[s]
SegunAdewole:

But you are the man wearing a skirt? Is it a blessing for an old man likd you to wear skirt? My namesake?
[/s]

BWAHAHAHA SEE THIS FOOL.SHOW ME THE SKIRT.IF YOU DON'T SHOW ME,MAY ROTTWEILER BITE OFF YOUR PEN COVER PRICK cheesy

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Kagawa10: 1:08am On Nov 29, 2015
SegunAdewole:

But you are the man wearing a skirt? Is it a blessing for an old man like you to wear a skirt? My namesake?
You're a cursed goat!
Only a badstard has no father nor tribe which you neither have! Heck, ibo has no ancestral history!
Useless people!

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Pidggin(f): 4:34am On Nov 29, 2015
SegunAdewole:
The court verdict is purely academic. Ibo men that want to live properties for their daughter will do it whether a court verdict was given or not. Marry a husband, what belong to your husband should belong to you. Allow your brothers to have theirs too.

Taking from your husband and father, while your brothers only take from their father alone won't be fair.

Whether you like it or not the court has taken a stance on the issue, your opinion is irrelevant. Our constitution is against discrimination in any form, deal with it.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Nobody: 6:39am On Nov 29, 2015
I hope they discuss birth control also. Nigeria is not an Islamic country.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Nobody: 6:44am On Nov 29, 2015
Pidggin:

Whether you like it or not the court has taken a stance on the issue, your opinion is irrelevant. Our constitution is against discrimination in any form, deal with it.

I heard birth control is anti Islam, I hope the constitution will have a say on this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ICPC Statement On The Corruption Perceptions Index 2019 / Lamidi Apapa Asks Court To Compel IG To Evict Abure From LP National Secretariat / Ile Kaaro Ojiire (the Yoruba) And Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.