Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,151 members, 7,807,505 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:22 PM

Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland (10831 Views)

Diezani Alison-Madueke's Lagos Properties In Pictures - EFCC / Appeal Court Upholds Election Of Ortom, Benue Governor / Supreme Court Upholds The Election Of Okorocha As Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Nobody: 11:13pm On Nov 29, 2015
DerideGull:

A married Igbo lady enjoys whatever she gets from her husband's inheritance. When she dies , the custom does not allow her body to be buried in her father's compound but in her husband's family land. It is pure idiocy for the so-called supreme court to dabble into the custom of the people. What stops the idiotic supreme court to rule that the girls should bring their husbands to settle at her father's compound.

Let them come and implement it now. Instead of banning hijab to fight terrorism, they want to dabble into something we know much better than them.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by laudate: 11:16pm On Nov 29, 2015
DerideGull:
A married Igbo lady enjoys whatever she gets from her husband's inheritance. When she dies , the custom does not allow her body to be buried in her father's compound but in her husband's family land. It is pure idiocy for the so-called supreme court to dabble into the custom of the people. What stops the idiotic supreme court to rule that the girls should bring their husbands to settle at her father's compound.

So what happens if the Igbo lady is unmarried, and she loses her father?? shocked And the father did not leave a will, before he died??
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by allcomage: 11:28pm On Nov 29, 2015
laudate:

So what happens if the Igbo lady is unmarried, and she loses her father?? shocked And the father did not leave a will, before he died??

your question is not complete,fine tune it to get answers.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by laudate: 11:31pm On Nov 29, 2015
allcomage:
your question is not complete,fine tune it to get answers.

If you feel it is incomplete, it means you did not understand the question because it was quite explicit. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by wirinet(m): 12:49am On Nov 30, 2015
cheruv:
All you non Igbos rambling about female discrimination are just wasting your time.
Every Igbo woman who's of age is expected to be in her husband's house..and you can't be in your husband's house and still have eyes on your father's house,that'd be tantamount to insulting the land!!
Sons grant immortality to their father and by extension the clan...daughters are just residents who are trained by the father till she's of age and her husband comes and pays her rent! She's expected to build up her husband's home and any woman who's engaged in this duty won't "chuuk" eyes in the affairs of her brother(s).

I can believe what i am reading from supposedly enlightened men. Every Igbo woman is expected to be in her husband's house? so what happens if she is unmarried before her father dies; interstate? What if she is very young, widowed or simply yet to find a suitor? Are you saying every young Igbo girl in Alaigbo and indeed all Nigerian cities of marriage age are married? I am sure you are aware that there are millions of single middle age igbo ladies yet to marry, either because of their careers or other extraneous factors, except of course you choose to play the ostrich.

So it is insulting to Igbo land for women to inherit her father's property? What if the property is outside Igbo land?

Son grant immortality to their father? so what do daughters grant - death? Look we have gone beyond agrarian social system, where land and direct labour (huge family) are essential for success. We now live in the industrial and information age where ideas, innovations and interractions determine success. So having large farmlands with lots of male children is useless.

It is an insult to all Igbo women to call them "just residents" in their fathers house and he rents her out to a husband. I hope most Igbo men do not think this way, it betrays your pyschological inbalance. You need to project women as sub-humans in order to give yourself some sense of importance. It is the same attitude the whites had in south africa for instituting the apartheid system.

If you say that a woman is expected to build her husband's home instead of "chuuking" eyes in the affairs of her brothers, then what about the man? Is he also not expected to build his family home instead of "chuuking" eyes into his father's properties? Is he so lazy as not to work to acquire his own properties?

If this how you guys want to build your Biafra, with discrimination and alienation of over half of the population (women), then the project is dead on arrival. Nigeria by this ruling has granted freedom and equality to Igbo women, while you people are offering discrimination, subjugation and oppression. You think your women folks would vote in a referendum to continue to be exploited by the men (except of course you bar women from voting)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by backtosender: 12:52am On Nov 30, 2015
The court must be losing focus on how and when to involve themselves with the law of the land.........some igbo men can play gigolo very well thereby hope to catch an igbo girl from rich background that way he will be sorted hopefully his in laws will give him millions of naira to start life cheesy it happen in so many occasions which i can attest to it...fine boy with sweet tongue but unfortunately he got too many holes in his pockets before you no it the babe eye don catch am she will go for the looks from there she get hooked like a cat fish....... before you no it he don give am belle her father will not have option than arrange marriage sponsor the whole thing on-top.... after she will run to her daddy complaining that her husband is jobless those marriages never last daddy will now invite the young man ask him what he want t do with his life,young man will say Oga i want to do import and export oga will say ok give me your business plan straight he provide business plan.... Oga will now ask him so how much do you need?he will give oga quotations let say 18 million naira in the processes of try to act like a big boy drive good cars,carry different babes different hotels before you no it 8 million don go,by then guy is still wondering what to do with the remaining balance....in the same process looking for what to do another 1.8 milla don go chap chap.... now when things are getting desperate he will now meet some idiots friends that will bring some useless business advice.... advice him to put the money there he will make big bucks the whole thing will go from one yeye business to another after a yr and 3 months back to square one....
The poor girl go don born pikin next thing she will run back again to her father for help........in igboland the women have their own share but anything she inherited must be on her name so even if she marry a man that struggle she will be alright because she is getting her on quota from the family tree
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by wirinet(m): 1:16am On Nov 30, 2015
backtosender:
The court must be losing focus on how and when to involve themselves with the law of the land.........some igbo men can play gigolo very well thereby hope to catch an igbo girl from rich background that way he will be sorted hopefully his in laws will give him millions of naira to start life cheesy it happen in so many occasions which i can attest to it...fine boy with sweet tongue but unfortunately he got too many holes in his pockets before you no it the babe eye don catch am she will go for the looks from there she get hooked like a cat fish....... before you no it he don give am belle her father will not have option than arrange marriage sponsor the whole thing on-top.... after she will run to her daddy complaining that her husband is jobless those marriages never last daddy will now invite the young man ask him what he want t do with his life,young man will say Oga i want to do import and export oga will say ok give me your business plan straight he provide business plan.... Oga will now ask him so how much do you need?he will give oga quotations let say 18 million naira in the processes of try to act like a big boy drive good cars,carry different babes different hotels before you no it 8 million don go,by then guy is still wondering what to do with the remaining balance....in the same process looking for what to do another 1.8 milla don go chap chap.... now when things are getting desperate he will now meet some idiots friends that will bring some useless business advice.... advice him to put the money there he will make big bucks the whole thing will go from one yeye business to another after a yr and 3 months back to square one....
The poor girl go don born pikin next thing she will run back again to her father for help........in igboland the women have their own share but anything she inherited must be on her name so even if she marry a man that struggle she will be alright because she is getting her on quota from the family tree

The supreme court is only affirming the Nigerian constitution; which state that nobody should be discriminated against based on sex, tribe, religion, political affiliations and other forms of discrimination. You will agree with me that this custom is highly discriminatory against women. If an Igbo man personally does not want his daughters and wife to inherit a pin when he dies, he should write a will stating so. But if he dies without writing a will, then all his children and wife should sit down and agree how the properties will be shared. And if the man has only daughters, then they and the wife should inherit the properties, instead of vultured eyes brothers descending on the properties of the man, leaving his family out in the cold.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by backtosender: 1:24am On Nov 30, 2015
wirinet:

The supreme court is only affirming the Nigerian constitution; which state that nobody should be discriminated against based on sex, tribe, religion, political affiliations and other forms of discrimination. You will agree with me that this custom is highly discriminatory against women. If an Igbo man personally does not want his daughters and wife to inherit a pin when he dies, he should write a will stating so. But if he dies without writing a will, then all his children and wife should sit down and agree how the properties will be shared. And if the man has only daughters, then they and the wife should inherit the properties, instead of vultured eyes brothers descending on the properties of the man, leaving his family out in the cold.
You made a good point
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by cheruv: 1:55am On Nov 30, 2015
wirinet:

I can believe what i am reading from supposedly enlightened men. Every Igbo woman is expected to be in her husband's house? so what happens if she is unmarried before her father dies; interstate? What if she is very young, widowed or simply yet to find a suitor? Are you saying every young Igbo girl in Alaigbo and indeed all Nigerian cities of marriage age are married? I am sure you are aware that there are millions of single middle age igbo ladies yet to marry, either because of their careers or other extraneous factors, except of course you choose to play the ostrich.

So it is insulting to Igbo land for women to inherit her father's property? What if the property is outside Igbo land?

Son grant immortality to their father? so what do daughters grant - death? Look we have gone beyond agrarian social system, where land and direct labour (huge family) are essential for success. We now live in the industrial and information age where ideas, innovations and interractions determine success. So having large farmlands with lots of male children is useless.

It is an insult to all Igbo women to call them "just residents" in their fathers house and he rents her out to a husband. I hope most Igbo men do not think this way, it betrays your pyschological inbalance. You need to project women as sub-humans in order to give yourself some sense of importance. It is the same attitude the whites had in south africa for instituting the apartheid system.

If you say that a woman is expected to build her husband's home instead of "chuuking" eyes in the affairs of her brothers, then what about the man? Is he also not expected to build his family home instead of "chuuking" eyes into his father's properties? Is he so lazy as not to work to acquire his own properties?

If this how you guys want to build your Biafra, with discrimination and alienation of over half of the population (women), then the project is dead on arrival. Nigeria by this ruling has granted freedom and equality to Igbo women, while you people are offering discrimination, subjugation and oppression. You think your women folks would vote in a referendum to continue to be exploited by the men (except of course you bar women from voting)
Nobody brought in Biafra here yet you Igbophobes can't seem to keep your mind off the rising sun undecided
The essence of Biafra is to return Igboland to its status before the British invasion and subsequent colonization(1890-1920). No matter how much you non Igbos whine about it,its must surely come to pass!

Marriage is an institution highly respected in Igboland...and through it you'd be able to attain certain positions in society.
Since you're harping on the modernity of our times,just know that daughters can also inherit from their mothers, but never from their father unless he expressly indicates so! Sons like I said before confer immortality...and any woman who fails to give her husband a son has failed in her duty of being a wife,even our family friend who always bore daughters continued the struggle till she got victory in her tenth child is a boy.that's to show you how strongly patriarchal Igbo society is.
Nigeria won't change our cultural values...and should it even try,we'd raze it down and erect Biafra,where we'd practice our culture and tradition without giving a damn whether its ancient or modern.
Look at the Jews... They've been celebrating Pesach for 3450yrs now, the Japanese still revere their monarchy that's been in existence for millennia and half despite the Democratic madness around them yet you want us to drop principles laid down for us by Chukwushocked
Don't be a joker bro!!! angry
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by SUBWAY101(m): 2:29am On Nov 30, 2015
SegunAdewole:

You assume that i am Ibo but i am not. I'm only looking at things in perspective. Ibo women are the most educated and have the highest standard of living even better than our yoruba women, have you asked yourself why. Do.you know that many Ibo fathers will rather educate their female children to tertiary evel on their lean resources and send their sons to learn a trade. What inheritance is greater than that?
If a father spends so much to educate his daughte, he has the right to expect her to become great tommorow and help the family. doesn't he?

When will you change from deceiving yourself online. Even a dullard knows you are a fla.ttie. Only b.astards deny there own tribe. Smh
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Controlled(f): 2:40am On Nov 30, 2015
SUBWAY101:

When will you change from deceiving yourself online. Even a dullard knows you are a fla.ttie. Only b.astards deny there own tribe. Smh

But he is a baastard, so it is understandable.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by SUBWAY101(m): 2:43am On Nov 30, 2015
Controlled:

But he is a baastard, so it is understandable.

A shameless one.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by SUBWAY101(m): 2:46am On Nov 30, 2015
Ikengawo:

So you think were a 1 man 1 bungalow tribe like your own?! LOL look at this post. So in you home men dont have enough possessions to share between their wife and children. Children inherit yoruba slaves. Fool

Smelly gala man, what do you own? You think we dont know you. Shameless ugly thing.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by Anticabal: 6:09am On Nov 30, 2015
wirinet:

I think i know what your problem is and why you have suddenly become an emergency advocate for 'Igbo women rights', transiting from anti-Igbo posts. You married an Igbo woman from a rich Igbo family hoping to have your hand in the 'cookie jar' of her family wealth until it dawned on you that your plans were dead-on-arrival.

So you marry an Igbo woman, she inherits billions which will belong to both of you 'legally' then you probably murder her, cry very hard at her burial and the proceed to the court to collect billions and properties from her brothers on her behalf and then marry another pino pino and enjoy her wealth. It won't work my brother-in-law.

Igbo elders were foresighted to know your kinds will exist in this day. LOL
Work for your own money man and make your wife satisfied bro.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by EazyMoh(m): 6:31am On Nov 30, 2015
wirinet:

Any who is disputing who to will your property to? Please re-read the article again and state where the supreme court mandate who an Igbo man must will his property to.

In case you have reading or comprehension problems, here is the relevant part of the article

The key word here is interstate. Now if you do not know what interstate means, then humbly ask, or use google.

So if you like, will your properties to your dog, it is nobody's business. The problem with male chauvinists like you is that you will not hesitate to beg for financial assistance from your successful daughter (either by marriage or career) whom you forbid from inheriting any of your properties.

And people like you will condemns Hausas who deny basic rights to women in the name of culture.
Tell me which basic right do Hausa people deny women?
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by ckmayoca: 7:56am On Nov 30, 2015
isbish:
See how Igbo culture disregard the value of a woman? So unfortunate and yet they will be the ones to first insult others culture and belief. Thank God for how Islam values the women.

Africa culture disregard this so don't point finger at anyone. Sharing of properties depends on hw the owner wants it. Acts of greediness is when they say she belong to another man aand yet she does the most in caring for the parents.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by omoharry(f): 8:50am On Nov 30, 2015
Stolen:

Go and will my poperty to my beautiful daughter. please?

See I dey beg u now. Go and do it. If u dont do it, your a bastard!

If we have not been able to remove the Osu Culture, as we desperately want to, it is handing land to women heading out to their husband house that we will do.

U are so daft and dat is why yoruba men always sleep with their daughters. Them no dey commot for house.

On dat note, am out of this dead thread.
Can't you just be constructive and objective with your comment without getting tribal and abusive? na waooooh!!

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by omoharry(f): 8:53am On Nov 30, 2015
ckmayoca:

Africa culture disregard this so don't point finger at anyone. Sharing of properties depends on hw the owner wants it. Acts of greediness is when they say she belong to another man aand yet she does the most in caring for the parents.
not all African culture do that not to even talk of the whole of Nigeria...in the place i come from women are also counted as beneficiaries of any inheritance that they deserve...My mother is an example.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by ckmayoca: 9:01am On Nov 30, 2015
omoharry:
not all African culture do that not to even talk of the whole of Nigeria...in the place i come from women are also counted as beneficiaries of any inheritance that they deserve...My mother is an example.

In my family I am the first and a girl is the second we share everything according to seniority and not gender even though her younger ones are all males she is senior to them and she calls the short for them and we r igbos. That's why I said it depend on family. I have a yoruba friend whose parent are some how denying education cos they don't haave much and sponsors the male into even excess.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by wirinet(m): 10:27am On Nov 30, 2015
cheruv:

Nobody brought in Biafra here yet you Igbophobes can't seem to keep your mind off the rising sun undecided
The essence of Biafra is to return Igboland to its status before the British invasion and subsequent colonization(1890-1920). No matter how much you non Igbos whine about it,its must surely come to pass!

Marriage is an institution highly respected in Igboland...and through it you'd be able to attain certain positions in society.
Since you're harping on the modernity of our times,just know that daughters can also inherit from their mothers, but never from their father unless he expressly indicates so! Sons like I said before confer immortality...and any woman who fails to give her husband a son has failed in her duty of being a wife,even our family friend who always bore daughters continued the struggle till she got victory in her tenth child is a boy.that's to show you how strongly patriarchal Igbo society is.
Nigeria won't change our cultural values...and should it even try,we'd raze it down and erect Biafra,where we'd practice our culture and tradition without giving a damn whether its ancient or modern.
Look at the Jews... They've been celebrating Pesach for 3450yrs now, the Japanese still revere their monarchy that's been in existence for millennia and half despite the Democratic madness around them yet you want us to drop principles laid down for us by Chukwushocked
Don't be a joker bro!!! angry

I mentioned Biafra because all the rabid opposition to the supreme court judgement are coming from IPOB supporters. I am just pointing out the obvious irony of rebelling against the unjust Nigerian system but vehemently supporting the unjust customary discriminatory system against women.

I love Igbo people die. As i said, my wife is Igbo from imo state, my best friend and partner is Igbo from abia, and some of my favourite people are Igbos, like ken Nnamani and Oby Ezekwesili. So to accuse me of igbophobia is plain silly.

Your second paragraph betrays that your mind is stuck in stone age. In present age, positions are not attained by marriage status, but hard work. Dimeji Bankole became speaker before he got married.

You lie when you say that Igbo custom allows daughters to inherit properties from their mothers. The only thing Igbo daughters are customarily allowed to inherit from their mothers are wrappers, clothes and some jewelry. Landed and other valuable properties are inherited only by sons.

Perish the idea of sons conferring immortality on fathers. The only thing that passes on is the DNA and the last name of the father, even the last name often disappears or changes after a few generations. There are millions of Igbo men who do not have their great grand fathers name. I doubt you can trace your surname 10 generations back.

If you read and pass basic biology, you should know that that the man decides the sex of a child, women has little to do with it. So it is the duty of a man to give his wife sons and not vice-versa. The family man you know that bore 9 daughters must be a weakling, he is not a strong man. I hope you are not a weakling like your friend. Imagine the wickedness of your friend passing an innocent woman through the pains of pregnancy and labour 10 times because of his egocentric problems. I hope he is rich enough to educate all 10 children or does he hope to sell the girls to the highest bidders?

Pesach is simply the passover celebration. Tell me how that is discriminatory or oppressive against women.
You are obviously ignorant of the modern Japanese political system. The Americans defeated Japan and gave them a new constitution which stripped the emperor of most of his powers. political power resides in the prime minister who is democratically elected. The prime minister could even be a woman. The emperor is just ceremonial, like the Obi of Onitsha or the Oba of Lagos. So i fail to see how your two examples relate to the subject under discussion.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland by lawrenceunaa: 10:46am On Nov 30, 2015
isbish:
See how Igbo culture disregard the value of a woman? So unfortunate and yet they will be the ones to first insult others culture and belief. Thank God for how Islam values the women.
yes oo by having s*x with children all in the name of religion. Yorubas want to marry Igbos to control the girl's inherited property undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Breaking News! Former PDP Chairman, Others Decamp To APC In Yobe / IGP Adamu: State Commissioners Don’t Need My Approval To Make Decisions / Meet Rev. Fr. Edeh, The Richest Catholic Priest In The World With A Net Worth Of

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.