Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,586 members, 7,809,122 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise (21864 Views)

Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End / External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn / Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by 989900: 10:25am On Jul 15, 2015
As at yesterday, the dollar sold for N198.04 at the interbank and N196.95 at the CBN. A trader explained that the CBN sanctions on round tripping had made it unattractive for banks “because the risks are just too high. If anyone gets caught, apart from the trader getting punished, the bank also stands to lose its foreign exchange licence, and that is too high a risk to take. But that does not mean that a couple of people would not still do it.

Story, story . . . story.

You guy are making insane profits from round tripping (who won't), and it has never been this profitable doing banking . . . stop fooling us.
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by 989900: 10:28am On Jul 15, 2015
Nigeria: where you pay your bank interest for withdrawing your own money . . . on top you get nothing, zilch, nada, from banking with them banks. #sad#glorifiedkolo#
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by onyxo76(m): 10:32am On Jul 15, 2015
989900:

You will be charged at 'bank rate' somewhere between N215-N219/$ depending on your bank.
thanks for this...so what exactly is this CBN rate then , i do western union exchange at 196 whenever i get money sent from abroad.
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by zik4ever: 10:41am On Jul 15, 2015
Can anyone clarify what rate the Bank uses for mastercard debit cash withdrawals abroad? My Bank (name withheld) seems to be charging same rate as blackmarket when you withdraw forex overseas!
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by 989900: 10:42am On Jul 15, 2015
onyxo76:
thanks for this...so what exactly is this CBN rate then , i do western union exchange at 196 whenever i get money sent from abroad.

You see . . . they take your dollars from you at N196 (CBN rate), sell it to you at N215-N219. #daylightrobbery

Basically they make roughly N20 off you for every dollar i.e. if you receive $5,000 through them, they would've made roughly N100,000 "off your head". cheesy shocked

And if you factor in round-tripping, they'd be making twice that (roughly N40+ for every dollar). Like N400,000+ profit for the banks for every $10,000 received through western union. Then they further aid excess liquidity i.e. we have too many Naira chasing few dollars, thus driving up the cost of each dollar.

These are the kind of things we should be protesting.

1 Like

Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 15, 2015
SirDorianGray:

Na their way bro

A drunk man made a power statement some days back at a bar I went to hang out with fwndz and everyone laughed but I reasoned the word and it's 100% true, he said "Nigeria have three major problem Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo" out of curiosity I asked him what's the solution then and he said " the same way these 3 people were conbined to form one nation, they should be divided to go their separate ways".

People keep blaming PMB for Dollars and Pound rate, who left this country in this terrible state in the first place
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by zik4ever: 10:57am On Jul 15, 2015
Can anyone clarify what rate the Bank uses for mastercard debit cash withdrawals abroad? My Bank (name withheld) seems to be charging same rate as blackmarket when you withdraw forex overseas!
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by 989900: 11:00am On Jul 15, 2015
zik4ever:
check page 3
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by Chiaka(f): 11:00am On Jul 15, 2015
What about the promises of 1 USD = 1 Naira??
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by zik4ever: 11:07am On Jul 15, 2015
989900:

check page 3
Thanks a lot. Apparently, my Bank charges same rate as the prevailing blackmarket rate when you withdraw cash with debit master card abroad. In otherwords, in my case, the "Bank rate" is same as "Black market rate". Not a good one at all!
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by donsteady(m): 11:19am On Jul 15, 2015
Chiaka:
What about the promises of 1 USD = 1 Naira??
That is the one chance we are talking about.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by Curvinus(m): 12:08pm On Jul 15, 2015
Stelvin101:
One thing I have come to understand about Nigeria importers is that they are very heartless and wicked, especially the Igbos, that's why am praying an Igbo man should never rule this country (no offence to Igbos, it just my opinion). Now this is my observation, 90% of imported things in Nigeria (electronics and gadgets, household equipment, building materials, office equipment, most clothing, so many things) are imported from China and if I remember correctly the Chinese govt earlier this year part ways with using Dollars as her primary trading currency, instead they now use Chinese yen so to build purchasing power of the yen, though use of dollars in Chinese trade is still very much welcome. so how does dollars rate to Naira concern importers not petroleum importers mind u, these people milk Nigerians at any giving opportunity, they will tag it dat dollars is now high and whereas most of them don't even use dollars in their trade, what they simply do is travel down there and do a wired transaction. I have a friend whose dad import A.C from China, after he analyze everything to me it turns out importers can still make millions if they even sell an A.C (2 horse power for 30k) and a 32 inches Plasma for 20k but greed won't allow an igbo man do the right thing. God save this country cause the problem is just too much for one president to handle

It's easier to pick a scapegoat and blame for all of these but this is beyond calling out the Igbo man on a public forum.

Are you saying the Dangotes that once had the exclusive right to import cement into this country are Igbos? What about Obasanjo who gave him the license? None of these two are Igbos.

There are the major oil marketers that cut across all regions of this country. Even here on nairaland, there are threads promoting importation business and I would like to know how you determined they are all Igbos.

I'm not saying Igbos are saints when it comes to unscrupulous importation but I beleive every human being has the tendency to be shady and uncharitable as long as you have loopholes that they can exploit.

And this trend may just continue, until the government wakes up to the task of cracking down on the importation of all manners of commodities into this country.
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by ABAKA72(m): 12:46pm On Jul 15, 2015
Stelvin101:
One thing I have come to understand about Nigeria importers is that they are very heartless and wicked, especially the Igbos, that's why am praying an Igbo man should never rule this country (no offence to Igbos, it just my opinion). Now this is my observation, 90% of imported things in Nigeria (electronics and gadgets, household equipment, building materials, office equipment, most clothing, so many things) are imported from China and if I remember correctly the Chinese govt earlier this year part ways with using Dollars as her primary trading currency, instead they now use Chinese yen so to build purchasing power of the yen, though use of dollars in Chinese trade is still very much welcome. so how does dollars rate to Naira concern importers not petroleum importers mind u, these people milk Nigerians at any giving opportunity, they will tag it dat dollars is now high and whereas most of them don't even use dollars in their trade, what they simply do is travel down there and do a wired transaction. I have a friend whose dad import A.C from China, after he analyze everything to me it turns out importers can still make millions if they even sell an A.C (2 horse power for 30k) and a 32 inches Plasma for 20k but greed won't allow an igbo man do the right thing. God save this country cause the problem is just too much for one president to handle
Ok, so you are one of those people that vent their frustration on the Igbos. Let me ask you mr Igbo hater, did the Igbos stop you from importation? since Igbo are killing you and you are complaining, why dont you go to China and import instead of comming to cry your stup*id cry against an entire hard working tribe or better still boycutt the igbo traders and buy from your people. I hate it when lazy tribalistic bigots spew rubbish in public forums.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 15, 2015
Hahahahhahahahahhahaahhahah APC failing Nigeria since independence, October 1, 1960
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 15, 2015
ABAKA72:
Ok, so you are one of those people that vent their frustration on the Igbos. Let me ask you mr Igbo hater, did the Igbos stop you from importation? since Igbo are killing you and you are complaining, why dont you go to China and import instead of comming to cry your stup*id cry against an entire hard working tribe or better still boycutt the igbo traders and buy from your people. I hate it when lazy tribalistic bigots spew rubbish in public forums.

Na you day follow that dirty pant, cunt, nyash hole of a human dog day talk. As if na ibos say make em lazy. Leave d nkita, when hungry show am the other side of life, he go enta bank borrow money, and do the right thing. I surprise say u day follow that Anuofia day rant sef, hungry don tell am make em vote buhari, he come day vent annoyance on ibos. Like say na ibos say make em vote buhari.
I laugh.
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by juman(m): 2:17pm On Jul 15, 2015
Franchise21:
We re in for trouble

You are right.

This is a country that has everything but destroyed because of very useless and senseless leadership for long time.
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by gemale(m): 2:51pm On Jul 15, 2015
icemann:
The budget was calculated at $60 for oil but currently oil is trading at $ 57 a barrel. It's going to get lower than $57 when Iran sanctions are lifted. It is estimated that oil would drop to around $40 to $45 range by end of this year when Iran's oil hit the market. So by the end of the year i estimate 300 to a $1. SO CONVERT YOUR SAVING TO DOLLARS. Exchange rate has never gone down so you will not lose money.

Look at it this way, imagine an individual earning 100K and later it drops to 60k(40% drop). First the savings gets spent(excess crude account). Cuts would be made on luxury items like Friday night Moet (private jet). Next siblings and girl friend allowance( fuel subsidy) and the list goes on till equilibrium is reached.

Less earnings means less Dollars in circulation(since Nigeria mooches off the govt earnings). So the demand for dollars is high aka high exchange rate. Its more complex than what i explained but its gives you an idea.

To cushion that effect CBN would raise interest rates to around 20% to 30%. This is to cushion inflation and attract foreign bonds

Alternative approach which is riskier is to print money like the US did in 2008. Not a good advice but if it clicks Nigeria would survive this recession.

WOW!!! ur simplificatn was superb tho i didnt rili undrstnd d last part.
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by 989900: 4:31pm On Jul 15, 2015
It's more about CBN's/FG faulty monetary/fiscal policies than the price of crude.

That is why at times even when the prices of crude increases, it has no effect in lowering exchange rates, rather, exchange rates climb higher at times with rising oil prices.

Then you have to factor in our importation of refined products, which takes up anywhere between 30-40% of our Forex demand.

And a host of other factors too; from epileptic power supply to importation of ridiculous items.
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by icemann(m): 4:36pm On Jul 15, 2015
gemale:

WOW!!! ur simplificatn was superb tho i didnt rili undrstnd d last part.
Read the last Paragraph of this current post. I hope you understand now.
Xano:

It is very risky to increase interest rates as you suggested, due to its effect on loans and liquidity of the bank institutions. Banks don't want much liabilities, as such, decline on some loan requests.
Manufacturers and importers will feel the pinch, the end consumers will feel their pockets. Vacations will be expensive, leading to increase in tourist sites around the country because of the exchange rate.

You are very correct.

High Interest rates make is a way to cushion the risk involved in investing in Nigerian Bonds and treasury bills by foreign investors, which is the only way to attract more dollars since we don't sell any other thing other than oil. At low interest rate and the rapid devaluing Naira rate, people would take their money to other countries like UK and US for safe investing (The Millionaires and Billionaires).

Since banks can't find business at high interest rate cause other countries are at single digit rates, the govt would have to bail out the banks by doing the borrowing of a large chunk of their liquid assets at a fair enough interest rate(say 5%) (Which is want the US bail out was).

But banks could Round trip (go buy bonds and T bills at 13%) and make 8% no sweat (its not impossible in Nigeria)
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by IBBG(m): 4:43pm On Jul 15, 2015
Stelvin101:

They are entrepreneurs. They r at liberty to fix d price at wat ever level they desire. Morever its a free market economy we practise. So the forces of demand and supply will determine the prices of commodities. So don't hate dem for taking advantage of the situation. If u were in their shoes u'd happily do same.
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by darlenese(f): 5:00pm On Jul 15, 2015
With the way naira is crashing, I think we need to give naira a big helmet crycool
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by doncaster(m): 5:04pm On Jul 15, 2015
Stelvin101:
Your economy is almost in a comatose state and u are blaming it on Igbo importers. You are indirectly agreeing to the Igbo saying that they dictate the economy of Nigeria if the scenario you described above is the truth.

1 Like

Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by doncaster(m): 5:07pm On Jul 15, 2015
socialmediaman:

Dollar has been rising against other currencies too, but in our own case we could not save within past 6 years, not that we invested the money in the economy to build infrastructure and create jobs to boost productivity cry cry cry

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d33c5c6e-24ab-11e5-bd83-71cb60e8f08c.html#axzz3fweTo2jz
This is not true. Ghana Cedis is gaining very well against pound and dollar. Check your facts.
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by BizBayo: 6:00pm On Jul 15, 2015
seedsower:
But our foreign reserve is increasing(from 29.0 to 29.9) is that supposed to downslide our naira. Please somebody should explain this whole grammar in a very elementary terms.

There is difference between interbank exchange rate and the parallel market.

Interbank rate stands between 196 and 199. This is the official exchange rate.

The parallel markets are the bureau de change, all these hausas into exchange business. Don't mind those saying rubbish. The past administration has spoiled a lot of things that are just been uncovered to us now.

We should not be bothered by the parallel market.
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by zik4ever: 8:51pm On Jul 15, 2015
BizBayo:

There is difference between interbank exchange rate and the parallel market.

Interbank rate stands between 196 and 199. This is the official exchange rate.

The parallel markets are the bureau de change, all these hausas into exchange business. Don't mind those saying rubbish. The past administration has spoiled a lot of things that are just been uncovered to us now.

We should not be bothered by the parallel market.
Bros, thanks but why shouldnt we bother about the parallel market? Even my Bank is charging virtually parallel market rate for mastercard withdrawal overseas! I am not an economist, but some persons have argued that the parallel market reflects the true value of the Naira than the official rates.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by BizBayo: 6:17am On Jul 16, 2015
zik4ever:

Bros, thanks but why shouldnt we bother about the parallel market? Even my Bank is charging virtually parallel market rate for mastercard withdrawal overseas! I am not an economist, but some persons have argued that the parallel market reflects the true value of the Naira than the official rates.

Try to ask your bank how much they've been charging. I believe it should be around 218 - 220.

The banks are only been making over what they are supposed to be making on dollar naira exchange. I guess it is all what the banks resulted to, surely a meeting has been held resulting to that.

Lets assume a bank decided to break away by making its own rate 210, the rest would follow suit one after the other.
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by 989900: 8:29am On Jul 16, 2015
BizBayo:

Try to ask your bank how much they've been charging. I believe it should be around 218 - 220.

The banks are only been making over what they are supposed to be making on dollar naira exchange. I guess it is all what the banks resulted to, surely a meeting has been held resulting to that.

Lets assume a bank decided to break away by making its own rate 210, the rest would follow suit one after the other.

Well, the banks are happy -- they win all the time!
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by Adminisher: 5:56pm On Jul 16, 2015
MixedMan:
Shey na like this we go dey Dey

Buhari and APC Just Worsened The Economy! Chaii! There is God o!

PDP ruined Nigeria and you have not seen anything yet. When the hardship starts you are going to stop lying to your self and on social media and cry out in anger against the corrupt party you have been supporting. No worry , Tory det still come.
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by banks123(m): 6:35pm On Jul 16, 2015
royale442:
Nigeria will be better.
I started hearing that ever since I was born. "e go better na poor man prayer"
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by CharleyCharley: 12:51am On May 30, 2016
Vikkie14:
Did Mr President even pass Economic in School at all??

Is it until Naira hit #300 a Dollar before he sees the need for Ministers??

E don pass 300 o grin grin
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by CharleyCharley: 12:53am On May 30, 2016
Adminisher:

PDP ruined Nigeria and you have not seen anything yet. When the hardship starts you are going to stop lying to your self and on social media and cry out in anger against the corrupt party you have been supporting. No worry , Tory det still come.

PDP ruined nigeria? Remind me again which individuals make up APC; amaechi, oshiomole etc.. Where did they come from?

They dropped from the sky perhaps?

Zombie grin grin
Re: Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise by CharleyCharley: 2:44pm On Oct 03, 2016
If only we knew the _dullard was just starting. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"Murders", Death Threats & Indiscriminate Arrests: Post-lekki Shooting Cover Up / Anambra 2021: INEC Reschedules Voting In Ihiala Local Government Area / Tinubu And Dokpesi Settle Libel Suit Out Of Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.