Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

New Traveller To Lagos , Plz Help - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / New Traveller To Lagos , Plz Help (872 Views)

Kaduna State Launches Traveller Information Website – Travelthrukaduna / The Story Of AJALA TRAVEL, Africa’s Most Legendary Traveller / 1st Time Traveller...what To Do And What Not (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Traveller To Lagos , Plz Help by waelgaber: 1:47pm On Jul 15, 2015
Hi,

I'm planning for a business trip to Nigeria, Lagos , Victoria island on 30/7, and i was asking for

- Best mobile plan for 2 weeks, i need to make local calls to partner there. --> which operator ? Tariff Plans ?
- is it safe to walk in streets alone there at morning ? i read a lot of threads about safety (please don't take me questions personally smiley )
- places i can visit near Victoria island and from where i can get some African souvenirs to my wife and kids
- is super markets are available every where? i heard about shoprite market? i need to buy fruits, juices and choco.
- what is local meals/food i should try there (I'm Muslim , so no Pork no Hum and no alcoholic grin )

actually I'm interested to know about Nigeria and its culture and to have friends from there.

anyway , thank you in advance
Wael smiley
Re: New Traveller To Lagos , Plz Help by frisby: 3:53pm On Jul 15, 2015
Hello OP.

I observed you just registered on NL for the purpose of this inquiry, meaning it must be important to you.

I don't have answers to all your questions and will leave that to those who do.

However,

1) for mobile plans, I would advise that you find out what network you'll be calling the most (a.k.a partner's number) and get a sim card from the same service provider. Calls to same service-providers are generally cheaper.
Sim cards can be purchased, registered and activated within 12hrs.

2) I do not live on the island, but lagos is generally secure for movements. [s] Except you're a criminal, in which case you should watch out for our law enforcement patrols [/s]. Just kidding grin

Provided you don't plan to keep late nights (11pm/12am) you should be fine.

3) souvenirs. That's no problem. You can easily ask around the local markets. Lots of things you can buy.
[s]Or if you can pay good money, I can rob my village shrine for you.[/s]

4) there are more superstores than you can count. And yes, there are also a few shoprite outlets.

5) local dishes?
Don't worry. Just visit the restaurants here and ask them to "surprise you" grin
They got you covered.

6) two weeks should be enough to learn about the Nigerian lagos way of life. Nigeria is vastly diversified culturally. And whatever is left of said culture will be there for you to enjoy. (it's sad, but our people are hurriedly dropping our rich culture for ways of the whiteman. It's a good thing you're visiting now, because in 10 years, there might be no "nigerian culture" to learn of)

We'll be glad to have you in our wonderful country.
I hope you enjoy your stay.
All the best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Traveller To Lagos , Plz Help by Daresh(f): 8:59pm On Jul 15, 2015
Hi,

I'm planning for a business trip to Nigeria, Lagos , Victoria island on 30/7, and i was asking for

- Best mobile plan for 2 weeks, i need to make local calls to partner there. --> which operator ? Tariff Plans ? Etisalat Easylife 4.0
- is it safe to walk in streets alone there at morning ? i read a lot of threads about safety (please don't take me questions personally smiley ) Very Safe
- places i can visit near Victoria island and from where i can get some African souvenirs to my wife and kids: Lagos Island market
- is super markets are available every where? i heard about shoprite market? i need to buy fruits, juices and choco. Spar, Shoprite, Park n shop and other small stores all around
- what is local meals/food i should try there (I'm Muslim , so no Pork no Hum and no alcoholic grin ) Jollof rice, Isi ewu, Nkwobi, Ponded yam.

actually I'm interested to know about Nigeria and its culture and to have friends from there. tongue

Wael smiley
Re: New Traveller To Lagos , Plz Help by tpiadotcom: 9:09pm On Jul 15, 2015
make una go Abuja nah?
Re: New Traveller To Lagos , Plz Help by Maxymilliano(m): 12:49pm On Jul 16, 2015
waelgaber:
Hi,

- Best mobile plan for 2 weeks, i need to make local calls to partner there. --> which operator ? Tariff Plans ?
- is it safe to walk in streets alone there at morning ? i read a lot of threads about safety (please don't take me questions personally smiley )
- places i can visit near Victoria island and from where i can get some African souvenirs to my wife and kids
- is super markets are available every where? i heard about shoprite market? i need to buy fruits, juices and choco.
- what is local meals/food i should try there (I'm Muslim , so no Pork no Hum and no alcoholic grin )

actually I'm interested to know about Nigeria and its culture and to have friends from there.

Wael smiley

Victoria Island is Ok and reasonably safe for night crawlers.

You'll get everything you want from shopping malls, clubs, cinemas, beaches to art galleries.

Some of the hotel have pavillions where African sourvenirs can be purchased, Eko Hotel i know.
Re: New Traveller To Lagos , Plz Help by waelgaber: 10:55am On Jul 20, 2015
thank you guys this is useful info smiley
@frisby : your replies are hilarious!
Re: New Traveller To Lagos , Plz Help by RichardsWorld(m): 1:37pm On Jul 20, 2015
Hello, I believe you will be impressed while you visit Nigeria. Am based in Lagos and I know for sure that Victoria Island is one of the coolest and safest areas of Lagos. You can get everything you need from shopping malls spread around. You definitely will be lodged in a decent secure hotels so you can always get more informations from most of the hotel staffs who are always absolutely friendly.

I have rendered concierge services to various company staffs and international clients coming into Nigeria so just in case you need a unique service in regards to pickup from airport, hotel reservation and general errand services kindly keep me informed.

Thank you.
Re: New Traveller To Lagos , Plz Help by godfrey2015: 9:14pm On Jul 21, 2015
I have been away for almost 4 years and am currently planning of coming back home. Am currently thinking of relocating to Lagos. My question is how much is the cost of renting a 2 bedroom flat apartment in Victoria Island? What are the procedures like and how can one know if it genuine

Thanks

(1) (Reply)

10 Most Annoying People You’ll Encounter On Flights / The Most Meaningful Xperience I've Had In My 2+ Yrs Of Flying / Need Help With European Schools With Cheap Tuition Fees For Masters Prog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.