Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,536 members, 7,801,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

Use Of English. The Use Of Am Over I'm - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Use Of English. The Use Of Am Over I'm (1305 Views)

History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria / Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? / The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Use Of English. The Use Of Am Over I'm by Dhurmynick(m): 7:09am On Jul 16, 2015
Today I'm gonna be taking about Nigeria's biggest blunder which seems to be common in Nigerian vocabulary, especially the youths..
It's not something new when you see a university graduate that can't utter correct words, heck some of them even have problems keeping up a conversation in English hence they have to switch to their native language or perform a mix hereby mixing their native language in the English they're speaking.. Yes, we don't exactly speak Queens English in Nigeria, but also at an alarming rate. It's in Nigeria you'll see an SSCE Certificate holder that can't even read.. The Internet now plays a crucial role in education, social networks are also important, these are the places you pick up new words to add to your vocabulary. You can't find someone who can't read browsing the net and people with bad vocabularies will definitely pick things up unless their IQ is a negative 10.
Today we're going to be talking about the use of "am" over "I'm". It sucks having to correct people that it's "I'm fine" not "am fine", this is most common on social media especially among girls, you'll see statements like "am cool" "am coming "" am___". Yet you only correct them to find them saying it again. And if you're thinking 'hey, what's the difference' you should probably pick up your Oxford dictionary.
It's embarrassing to see that the youths in Nigeria, the biggest African economy has embraced these habits, like always abbreviating their words in such a way you won't find a complete word in a paragraph, I'd post screenshots but I'm not here to point fingers..
What am I driving at??
We need change.
The amount of people failing English every year is nothing to brag about.. Most people embarrass themselves at job interviews.
I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Use Of English. The Use Of Am Over I'm by 175(m): 7:09am On Jul 16, 2015
U try!
Re: Use Of English. The Use Of Am Over I'm by Horlufemi(m): 7:10am On Jul 16, 2015
Dhurmynick:
Today I'm gonna be taking about Nigeria's biggest blunder which seems to be common in Nigerian vocabulary, especially the youths..
It's not something new when you see a university graduate that can't utter correct words, heck some of them even have problems keeping up a conversation in English hence they have to switch to their native language or perform a mix hereby mixing their native language in the English they're speaking.. Yes, we don't exactly speak Queens English in Nigeria, but also at an alarming rate. It's in Nigeria you'll see an SSCE Certificate holder that can't even read.. The Internet now plays a crucial role in education, social networks are also important, these are the places you pick up new words to add to your vocabulary. You can't find someone who can't read browsing the net and people with bad vocabularies will definitely pick things up unless their IQ is a negative 10.
Today we're going to be talking about the use of "am" over "I'm". It sucks having to correct people that it's "I'm fine" not "am fine", this is most common on social media especially among girls, you'll see statements like "am cool" "am coming "" am___". Yet you only correct them to find them saying it again. And if you're thinking 'hey, what's the difference' you should probably pick up your Oxford dictionary.
It's embarrassing to see that the youths in Nigeria, the biggest African economy has embraced these habits, like always abbreviating their words in such a way you won't find a complete word in a paragraph, I'd post screenshots but I'm not here to point fingers..
What am I driving at??
We need change.
The amount of people failing English every year is nothing to brag about.. Most people embarrass themselves at job interviews.
I rest my case.

Sine people in the us no sabi English. So no fuss
Re: Use Of English. The Use Of Am Over I'm by kossyablaze(m): 7:11am On Jul 16, 2015
Introvert my gateman makes dat mistake

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Use Of English. The Use Of Am Over I'm by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 16, 2015
Trash.
Re: Use Of English. The Use Of Am Over I'm by Dhurmynick(m): 7:20am On Jul 16, 2015
Lalasticlala.. Do i need to yell??
Re: Use Of English. The Use Of Am Over I'm by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 16, 2015
i speak you understand.
Re: Use Of English. The Use Of Am Over I'm by Nobody: 7:23am On Jul 16, 2015
I was highly embarrassed when I was reading a column in a well known tabloid some years ago. The writer made two majors blunders which actually made me wonder if he studied use of English in school. He used "am" in place of "I'm" and "Corper" instead of "corps member". Seriously our education system has deteriorated so badly.

1 Like

Re: Use Of English. The Use Of Am Over I'm by esejessy(f): 12:10pm On Apr 19, 2016
jcmaiah:
I was highly embarrassed when I was reading a column in a well known tabloid some years ago. The writer made two majors blunders[quote]
The writer made two (((((majors)))) blunders
Re: Use Of English. The Use Of Am Over I'm by esejessy(f): 12:11pm On Apr 19, 2016
jcmaiah:
I was highly embarrassed when I was reading a column in a well known tabloid some years ago. The writer made two majors blunders[quote]
The writer made two (((((majors)))) blunders We are all learning.

(1) (Reply)

Switzerland: University Of Lausanne Scholarships For International Master / FCET Akoka/uniben Degree Post-utme Application Form 2015/16 – Announced / ABU Zaria Direct Entry Admission Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.