Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:09 AM

5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians (30391 Views)

5 Interesting Things About South Africa Most People Don’t Know / Cameroonian Lady Has Message About Nigerians Living Abroad (Video) / The Myth About Nigerians Washing Dead Bodies In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by Jovago: 3:18pm On Jul 16, 2015
Walk along the streets in Lagos, Kano or Anambra and you will be amazed at how Nigerians hustle from dawn to dusk trying to make ends meet. In spite of the shuffle they are some of the nicest people on the continent; always willing to offer assistance, give money to the less privileged, point out directions to your destination and religious to the hilt. However, even with these remarkable traits, there are still some idiosyncrasies visitors find puzzling.

So, if you are a first-timer to Nigeria seeking to tamper the culture shock you may experience, Jovago.com, Africa’s No 1 Hotel Booking Portal, goes a step ahead to highlight some of these quirks.

Crossing the road

With a child strapped to her back and holding a 3-year-old son, a Nigerian lady will attempt to cross a very busy highway while dodging oncoming vehicles, all at the same time. Even though there is a pedestrian bridge in front of her. This is a common scenario on Lagos roads.

Many people know that crossing a busy road is risky but they do it anyway. It is logical and safe to use the pedestrian bridge but they would rather choose the shorter route. So if you are driving through a street or major road around a city, it helps to keep a foot close to the break-pad and an eye on the lookout for ‘shunters’.

Throwing items off buses

All of over the world, some people have formed the habit of throwing items like bananas, oranges and the nylons out of their vehicles and Nigeria is no different.

This anomaly is gradually fading away as the National Environmental Management Authority now enforces the use of waste baskets in public places.

African Time

Lateness to an event has become an acceptable ‘phenomenon’ in many societies. If you fix an event for 10 am, don’t be surprised if the auditorium starts filling out about 3 or 4 hours later with invitees trooping to the venue.

This may not be peculiar to Nigerians alone but it happens very often – even at celebrity or government functions! Many sociologists say that African time is a pattern that needs to be stopped. How? Commence the event even if there are just two people in the hall.

Last minute syndrome

A typical example of this is the June 30th 2015 deadline to enroll for the Bank Verification Number. Many Nigerians had over two months to visit one of their bank branches to do this registration. However, they didn’t. They waited until the last day and the banks were overflowing with customers waiting to enrol for the BVN on the deadline day.

The Central Bank of Nigerian was benevolent enough to extend the time for the registration. This same attitude was displayed during the registration and collection for the permanent voter’s card.

Jumping the Queue

This is simple public etiquette. It is gentlemanly to join the line and wait for your turn especially as Nigerians are magnanimous enough to allow you in the line if you appeal to them.

http://blog.ng.jovago.com/5-interesting-yet-wierd-facts-about-nigerians-438

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by dammyblaq(m): 3:19pm On Jul 16, 2015
Lol.. I've done all of the above before.

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by izeeqpotter(m): 3:20pm On Jul 16, 2015
I'm guilty all the same.
Guess I don't need NIN

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 16, 2015
Now i know i'm a green blooded Naija! grin

5 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2015
angryWE are all guilty of SOME of these vices if not ALL (you and I) grin

It's a Global phenomena, not peculiar to Nigerians ALONE.... tongue

Truth be told tongue

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by Adaahjacob(m): 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2015
Repeatation of words, like follow follow, chop chop, tif tif, mu mu, longa longa, lie lie, moi moi, etc

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by budiliscious(f): 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2015
Really?

WOOOOOOOW! I am the first female to comment. #IamHappy

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by Olsoo(m): 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2015
I dont know why i'm having the feeling that these happens in every country on earth;as long as the country houses Humans .

Love Naija still kiss

7 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2015
That is what makes Us Distinctive and Nigerians that we are ...wat of Owambeness and Aso Ebi ish ??

In d Spirit of Celebration and as Nigerians like to jolly wella ( Op forget Owambeness part) .Kindly check out this song.

https://my.notjustok.com/track/18462/otubante-synord

You won't regret it.Critics and Suggestions are highly welcome. Below are some reviews

1 Share

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 18, 2015
Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by Berrypie(f): 7:51pm On Jul 18, 2015
So true.
Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by scofieldsimba(m): 7:51pm On Jul 18, 2015
On point
Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by idari: 7:51pm On Jul 18, 2015
I rep Naija, dis country for make excess sense,if not for our religions and tribal crisis.

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by Jaymima(f): 7:51pm On Jul 18, 2015
Guilty of No. 2. Why should i leave orange and banana peels inside the car when a lot of the drivers frown seriously and the more vocal ones express their displeasure when you liter the floor of their cars with things like that and they are not ready to make provision for waste basket. I only do that on highways sha.
Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by olawealth1000(m): 7:52pm On Jul 18, 2015
Shiiii
Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by asumo12: 7:52pm On Jul 18, 2015
dammyblaq:
Lol.. I've done all of the above before.

U be Lagosians?
Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by OlaSalo(m): 7:52pm On Jul 18, 2015
#ProudlyNaija. Hit 'like' if you are proud of being a Nigerian.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by Daniel058(m): 7:52pm On Jul 18, 2015
Dem don born us for Naija..

We no dey run and we no go run grin
Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by XYZADIGOR7: 7:52pm On Jul 18, 2015
sabi boy
Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by ClintonNzedimma(m): 7:53pm On Jul 18, 2015
Yes oh.
Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by unbeat007(m): 7:54pm On Jul 18, 2015
This is our trademark. nobody be like us
Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by Catalyst007(m): 7:54pm On Jul 18, 2015
Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by BruzMoney(m): 7:54pm On Jul 18, 2015
Only in 9ja you go find Tiger/flash ba3 in a power bank... Hustle is real

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by Ekiseme(m): 7:54pm On Jul 18, 2015
Ok
Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jul 18, 2015
I definitely suffer from the African Time syndrome, I always underestimate the time it takes me to get somewhere.

When I first moved to the UK, I was so surprised that people were always early or on time. I still wonder how my classmates consistently make it to class early.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by mickyeddi(m): 7:55pm On Jul 18, 2015
cheesy
Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by Azubreezy(m): 7:55pm On Jul 18, 2015
Here are some : too much emphasis on age. The weird belief that older people can't get it wrong. Also, too much belief in pastors. Always repeating words e.g shut up your mouth. Come and go. Etc

5 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by vosquare: 7:56pm On Jul 18, 2015
Omo naija ni mi, naija lo bi mi si grin grin

Rip to dagrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians by shalomm: 7:56pm On Jul 18, 2015
this post is nothing but a fallacy of hasty generalization.

God bless Nigeria

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? / I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again / Photos: Car Accident In Wuse II, Abuja.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.