Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,289 members, 7,780,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:49 PM

Marriage & Church Denominations - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage & Church Denominations (2309 Views)

The Views Of 8 Christian Denominations On Same Sex Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage & Church Denominations by OShepherd: 6:44pm On Jul 16, 2015
I have watched in awe how some "men of God" teach deir young ones not to date outside deir church denominations let alone get married. 4 d singles- How would you handle dis shld U find Ursef in such situation & 4 d Married- have U got d experience. Let's share!
Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by xender(m): 6:52pm On Jul 16, 2015
sorie no experience

buh dats rubbish naw e want make dem born 4 e church 2 increase members or woh??

some ministry tho
Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by thorpido(m): 7:04pm On Jul 16, 2015
Yes some pastors teach their members not to date or marry outside their fold.
It has its good and bad sides.The good side is so that you do not end up with a partner who shares contrary belief to yours and hence become a problem in the future due to disagreements about issues or faith.
The bad side is that people are often limited to few choices and as a result many(most especially the sisters)remain single.

If you find love outside of your fold,go for it.However,be sure that your partner agrees with your belief.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 16, 2015
Timely,,
so this guy and I were chatting and he said if he were to marry me,, his pastor would write to my pastor and some church elders would come see my ppl for marriage rites et etc..

Then I told d bobo that I'm a catholic, we don't have pastors per se.... he paused and said he doesn't tink he can marry a catholic, except its the will of GOd embarassed what kind of Christian is he, we are such hypocrites really. undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 16, 2015
this kind of thing is common among Catholic and there Pentecostal counterparts.

1 Like

Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by nnamdibig(m): 11:34pm On Jul 16, 2015
It happens but it's so disheartening. For a Man of God(pastor, priest or prophet) to discourage a Christian from marrying another Christian because of domination is wrong. If Christianity teaches killing of infidels, these people would be worse than Boko haram.
Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by nnamdibig(m): 11:41pm On Jul 16, 2015
thorpido:
Yes some pastors teach their members not to date or marry outside their fold.
It has its good and bad sides.The good side is so that you do not end up with a partner who shares contrary belief to yours and hence become a problem in the future due to disagreements about issues or faith.
The bad side is that people are often limited to few choices and as a result many(most especially the sisters)remain single.

If you find love outside of your fold,go for it.However,be sure that your partner agrees with your belief.

What beliefs?? As a Christian apart from the birth, death & resurrection of Christ, any other belief is just a shit rules prepared by a certain man(man of God) at the comfort of his bedroom to swindle his congregation

2 Likes

Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by thorpido(m): 8:15am On Jul 17, 2015
nnamdibig:

What beliefs?? As a Christian apart from the birth, death & resurrection of Christ, any other belief is just a shit rules prepared by a certain man(man of God) at the comfort of his bedroom to swindle his congregation

Do 'pentecostal' churches believe what catholics believe?Do other churches accept the dress code of Deeper life members?Do some churches accept the 'orientation' of MFM- the fasting,the fire,die die etc?
There are differences in beliefs,not necessarily a case of swindling members.

1 Like

Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by 1miccza: 8:20am On Jul 17, 2015
Adaobi12:
this kind of thing is common among Catholic and there Pentecostal counterparts.

On the contrary it's not just common but rampant among the pentecostals

1 Like

Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by 1miccza: 8:22am On Jul 17, 2015
nnamdibig:

Thank God that someone's thinking like me
Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by 1miccza: 8:24am On Jul 17, 2015
Quick answer if it isn't clearly seen and supported by the bible it's not Ok for me and if it isn't okay for me it's a huge "NO"
Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by Nursy(f): 10:05am On Jul 17, 2015
A serious issue only in nigeria. Anybody that says I shouldn't marry from another denomination should be ready to marry me or find me a perfect husband.

Meanwhile, I need to hear from people with such experience.

1 Like

Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by TV01(m): 10:26am On Jul 17, 2015
I could talk on this for days, but let me be brief.

Anyone who is looking to "a man (or woman) of God" in order to direct his or her life is not actually a mature enough person/christian to be married. Such a one is best avoided, not least because they are also probably subject to "cult-like" influences/behaviour.

A particular note for men, be wary of "christian sisters" who use the rerm "my pastor says" a lot. "Mypas" girls as I term them rarely know the faith for themselves.

They will prioritise, "mypastor", "mychurch", "myministry" over you in courtship, and likely usurp your authority by apealing to church elders/pastors when you are married.

Marriage is first and foremost a family affair. And it can be undertaken without any recourse to "church". Your family shoul dalways be your first port of call for advice - indeed, they are responsible for inculcating a marriage culture within you in the first place.

Having said that, ther is nothing wrong in seeking wise counsel from elders or mature brethren. Many churches have worthy singles/marrieds programs. and one should always marry a fellow christian, with agreement on the Christian essentials i.e. submission grin.

TV

3 Likes

Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by lilmax(m): 10:37am On Jul 17, 2015
There should be one denomination

Imagine marriage between deeper life member and christ embassy member cheesy

1 Like

Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by yorubadelta(f): 10:43am On Jul 17, 2015
TV01:

Anyone who is looking to "a man (or woman) of God" in order to direct his or her life is not actually a mature enough person/christian to be married. Such a one is best avoided, not least because they are also probably subject to "cult-like" influences/behaviour.

TV

Thank you! There is this church I used to attend..
... a new pretty girl joined the church and this ''dedicated" brother took interest in her. In trying to befriend her, he discovered she already had a fiance from the previous church she used to attend in another city.

So, the brother decided to take his desires to the pastor to help him convince her .. You won't believe this pastor and his wife both conived and used religion to brainwash that girl to dump her fiance and start dating the brother.. they claimed it has been "revealed" that her fiance is not a good husband (he's living a double-life behind her back, etc...) That's how this smart "Christian" brother snatched the babe from her fiance..

Needless to say, they are now courting and the church is eagerly awaiting their wedding lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by nnamdibig(m): 11:53am On Jul 17, 2015
thorpido:
Do 'pentecostal' churches believe what catholics believe?Do other churches accept the dress code of Deeper life members?Do some churches accept the 'orientation' of MFM- the fasting,the fire,die die etc?

I understand what you are saying but my point is that weather u are Anglican, deeper life, catholic or any other, what is right is right if they like let them twist the bible to suit their ideology Christians shouldn't have different beliefs.
Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by thorpido(m): 12:23pm On Jul 17, 2015
nnamdibig:

I understand what you are saying but my point is that weather u are Anglican, deeper life, catholic or any other, what is right is right if they like let them twist the bible to suit their ideology Christians shouldn't have different beliefs.

Christians indeed shouldn't have different beliefs but the reality is that we are divided along denominational lines.If two people marry and they start having issues on certain beliefs or Christian doctrines,then it can strain the marriage.
A man raised a thread on nairaland one time complaining about his wife wearing trousers.
Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by thorpido(m): 1:13pm On Jul 17, 2015
yorubadelta:

... a new pretty girl joined the church and this ''dedicated" brother took interest in her. In trying to befriend her, he discovered she already had a fiance from the previous church she used to attend in another city.

So, the brother decided to take his desires to the pastor to help him convince her .. You won't believe this pastor and his wife both conived and used religion to brainwash that girl to dump her fiance and start dating the brother.. they claimed it has been "revealed" that her fiance is not a good husband (he's living a double-life behind her back, etc...) That's how this smart "Christian" brother snatched the babe from her fiance..

Needless to say, they are now courting and the church is eagerly awaiting their wedding lipsrsealed
It's the fault of the girl for allowing herself to be brainwashed.If she already had a fiance,why didn't she insist on staying with him?
She's just an unstable girl and she's obviously not good enough for the guy she left.

1 Like

Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by 5minsmadness: 1:18pm On Jul 17, 2015
OShepherd:
I have watched in awe how some "men of God" teach deir young ones not to date outside deir church denominations let alone get married. 4 d singles- How would you handle dis shld U find Ursef in such situation & 4 d Married- have U got d experience. Let's share!

End time churches.
Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by 5minsmadness: 1:25pm On Jul 17, 2015
lilmax:
There should be one denomination

Imagine marriage between deeper life member and christ embassy member cheesy

Christ embassy na church? cheesy

Runs away

3 Likes

Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by nnamdibig(m): 1:53pm On Jul 17, 2015
thorpido:
Christians indeed shouldn't have different beliefs but the reality is that we are divided along denominational lines.If two people marry and they start having issues on certain beliefs or Christian doctrines,then it can strain the marriage.
A man raised a thread on nairaland one time complaining about his wife wearing trousers.

It happens but it's very wrong and myopic
Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by lilmax(m): 1:53pm On Jul 17, 2015
5minsmadness:

Christ embassy na church? cheesy

Runs away

grin make sure you wear bulletproof
Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by yorubadelta(f): 6:03pm On Jul 19, 2015
thorpido:
It's the fault of the girl for allowing herself to be brainwashed.If she already had a fiance,why didn't she insist on staying with him?
She's just an unstable girl and she's obviously not good enough for the guy she left.

Yupyup. I just don't get all these "pastors" who feel it's there duty to assign people to their life partners lipsrsealed
They are really toying with people's destinies and this has to stop.

Above all, I blame their gullible followers. Instead of them to communicate to God directly regarding the choice of a partner, they'd rather run to mere man to make the choice for them. Smh

2 Likes

Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by smileysmiles(f): 12:21am On Jul 20, 2015
yorubadelta:

a friend lost his girlfriend to a divorcee in this same manner, the bobo wan die!
Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by ivyT(f): 2:13am On Jul 20, 2015
thorpido:
You are right..
Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by Jorussia(m): 3:35am On Jul 20, 2015
It is not compulsory that you must marry from your Church.
Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by NifemiOlu(m): 5:42am On Jul 20, 2015
As an Anglican-born, I don't think we have issues in marrying or dating others but a lot of people have issues with Catholics, 7th Day, Jehova witness...so sad. We read the same bible yet different perspectives and beliefs.
As for anyone interested in dating away from their denomination, you had better do because at the end of day, your happiness on earth and heavenly ticket are what matter not denomination.
Re: Marriage & Church Denominations by yorubadelta(f): 5:50am On Jul 20, 2015
smileysmiles:

a friend lost his girlfriend to a divorcee in this same manner, the bobo wan die!

grin grin grin grin

Girl, I'm telling you! gotta fear these "Christian brothers" nowadays o

...the violent taketh it by force tongue

(1) (Reply)

Do Ibadan Men Make Good Husbands? / Tenants Wahala / Boyfriend And Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.