Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. (42114 Views)

Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck / When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. / The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by thecreativeguy(m): 9:21am On Jul 17, 2015
Many of us do get this twisted. You know, when we ought to use 'will' in a sentence, we use 'would', and vice-versa. Some of us might not even know our sentence becomes grammatical incorrect when we replace one of the words with another.

Note. None of us is perfect with The Use Of English (even many English natives can't boast of being perfect with it) We all learn every day. So, let us learn something today.

We use will :

to talk about the future – to say what we believe
will happen

to talk about what people want to do or are
willing to do

to make promises and offers.

Would is the past tense form of will . Because it
is a past tense it is used:

to talk about the past.

to talk about hypotheses – things that are
imagined rather than true.

for politeness

Examples

We'll be late.
We will have to take the train.

Would as the past tense of Will (to say what we believed would happen)

I thought I would be late …… so I would have to
take the train.

When you want to make an Offer or promise, use Will.

I’ll give you a lift home after the party.
We will come and see you next week.

Would, for polite offers and invitations:

Would you like to come round to morrow?
Would you like another drink?

Etc.

Hope you learn something. You can check for more resources online. Thanks

291 Likes 26 Shares

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Boy101(m): 9:24am On Jul 17, 2015
Quite enlightening.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by lordtim001(m): 9:37am On Jul 17, 2015
Keepshining:
I will comment later.
Hmmmph,saving space.Anyway,nice thread.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by thecreativeguy(m): 11:33am On Jul 17, 2015
Keepshining:
I will comment later.
Why not now?
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Sweetmarriage: 12:40pm On Jul 17, 2015
Let us learn now!!
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by donholy28(m): 12:44pm On Jul 17, 2015
Nigerians try to speak English pass d Englishmen sef...

11 Likes

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jul 17, 2015
efg
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Richie0974: 12:45pm On Jul 17, 2015
So people still make that mistake undecided
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 17, 2015
OK.

Op I WOULD have Slapped You but after reading the write up, I WILL not do so.

76 Likes 5 Shares

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by bobkezel(m): 12:46pm On Jul 17, 2015
No go learn ur mother tongue dey dia

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by loomer: 12:46pm On Jul 17, 2015
I no go lie, people must always make mistakes
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Neduzze5(m): 12:46pm On Jul 17, 2015
Will-iam, you get luck enh... If not for God, I would have killed you and the police will do nothing about it and upon that, I will remove your name from my Will undecided

We dem boyz!!

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by iceberylin(m): 12:46pm On Jul 17, 2015
I will make it. grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by ebubey(f): 12:47pm On Jul 17, 2015
ok nw

1 Like

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 17, 2015
Jamb class
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 17, 2015
Tootoni
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by jaybee3(m): 12:47pm On Jul 17, 2015
oh my fvcking days, geez

Who gives a flying monkey?

Are we in primary school or WTF?

1 Like

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Dindondin(m): 12:47pm On Jul 17, 2015
thecreativeguy:
Many of us do get this twisted. You know, when we ought to use 'will' in a sentence, we use 'would', and vice-versa. Some of us might not even know our sentence becomes grammatical incorrect when we replace one of the words with another.

Note. None of us is perfect with The Use Of English (even many English natives can't boast of being perfect with it) We all learn every day. So, let us learn something today.

We use will :

to talk about the future – to say what we believe
will happen

to talk about what people want to do or are
willing to do

to make promises and offers.

Would is the past tense form of will . Because it
is a past tense it is used:

to talk about the past.

to talk about hypotheses – things that are
imagined rather than true.

for politeness

Examples

We'll be late.
We will have to take the train.

Would as the past tense of Will (to say what we believed would happen)

I thought I would be late …… so I would have to
take the train.

When you want to make an Offer or promise, use Will.

I’ll give you a lift home after the party.
We will come and see you next week.

Would, for polite offers and invitations:

Would you like to come round to morrow?
Would you like another drink?

Etc.

Hope you learn something. You can check for more resources online. Thanks
Let me employ you for PEJ

3 Likes

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by segemint(f): 12:48pm On Jul 17, 2015
Thanks alot.. Have been battling with this two words.. If u can enlighten me on when to use" in the end and at the end" thank u. smiley

12 Likes

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by sunnysundayade(m): 12:48pm On Jul 17, 2015
Nice 1 but we use shall for we instead of
will
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by ultrazone2(m): 12:48pm On Jul 17, 2015
qppqpq
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Kingsasian(m): 12:48pm On Jul 17, 2015
Thanks a lot
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Maintech: 12:48pm On Jul 17, 2015
I would have loved to be the first to comment but MTN will have to make their network better. grin

7 Likes

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Profkomolafe(m): 12:49pm On Jul 17, 2015
abeg leave english for oyinbo.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by kilode100(f): 12:49pm On Jul 17, 2015
Who caresabout that??
Guy, make money and stop talking shit.

Will and would.mcheww.
Who e help?

5 Likes

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Elbubs(f): 12:49pm On Jul 17, 2015
Thanks OP. I'm guilty of misusing the words.

1 Like

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by kilode100(f): 12:49pm On Jul 17, 2015
Who caresabout that??
Guy, make money and stop talking shit.

Will and would.mcheww.
Who e help?

1 Like

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Berrypie(f): 12:49pm On Jul 17, 2015
I learnt something.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

22 Photos Proving How Strange The World Around Us Is / A Young Groundnut Seller Signs On A Graduand's Top With Hope For A Better Life / Cutest Top Three Vice Chancellors In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.