Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

Letter To Awaiting Corpers - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Letter To Awaiting Corpers (2108 Views)

Funny Meme To Pcms Awaiting Callup Letter / Important Information For Awaiting NYSC Candidates / What Are Prospects Awaiting Purephysics Graduates In Nysc Camp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter To Awaiting Corpers by segxes23(m): 6:18pm On Jul 18, 2015
LETTER TO AWAITING CORPERS
Dear Awaiting Corper,
How are you doing? And how is your holiday going? Mine has been fun though, trying out new things and reading books I dare not read during school. At this point, I owe you a congratulatory message for scaling the hurdles of four or five years[right][/right] of stress and midnight candles, it was never meant to be easy after all, but we did it and I am happy we scaled through. It might be with be with scars and scaly skins but you got out alive. Every school cannot be like mine but my four years was actually four years, it was without NASU, ASUP, or ASUU strikes, that’s why we are better drop.
My belief in the NYSC idea might not tally with that of its founding Father but left with no choice except if your dad is a money back or political hierarchy height and he already have our appointment letter waiting to be dated. If your dad is like mine, we are left with no other option but to swim with the tide and serve our Fathers land. Unlike Korea where national service is two years and Fully military, and ours is three weeks of a military but camp and eleven months of nothing [Pardon me, I already stated I don’t believe in it].
Like you I don’t know which of the 36 states I will be posted but I definitely do not want Lagos, FCT or Rivers state. What’s the essence of serving in a place where the cost of living will swallow up my allawee? Or a place where the taxi or transport fare will be killing my pocket, what I even dread most is finding myself in an establishment where I will be a messenger to some fat ass boss. Even though the process of posting have been bastardized, I will not be found trying to influence my posting to the so called good places. It is just one year and wherever island or valley I find myself, I’m left with no choice than to adapt and make it a home away from home.
Personally, I’ve got plans for the service year, some of it might sound crazy but I’m young, free and read to explore. May be you have yours too but mine will make you forget to close your mouth and inspire you. I want to travel to 30 states *Side eyes. Did I not tell you? So don’t be surprised. I’ve been praying for a PPA that will fit into my plans (I no want transport or logistics company o!). I also intend to be a blessing to any community I find myself. My padi, if you do not have any plans, please think of one that fits into your dreams.
On a more serious note, most of what I’ve heard from Corpers is their sexcapades both during camping and after camping, it is National Youth Service Corps and not National year of Sexual collision. Don’t go and impregnate students or naïve girls in your locality, and as ladies, don’t go sleeping around for favours. Your life does not depend on sex, keep yourself busy with certifications, self-development and have fun. You will never have a whole year of idleness to yourself again, make most out of it.
At this juncture, finance is what I want to talk about. 19800 is good money if spent well but very meagre if spent frivolously. Personally I have the intention of saving from my allawee, I see it as school fees for my M.Sc. programme. But it is important to note that your ability to save I learnt is based on some factors; availability of state allawee, the way you spend, your level of taste, the cost of living of wherever you find yourself, your level of industry in making extra income, etc. for my Christian brethren, your tithe is the most important and as a big brother or sister, you will send some coins back home to your siblings.
Another important decision for you to make is the CDS group you join, this is rather subjective as it is based on course of study and interest. I don’t know what a Sociology student will be doing in Medical and Health CDS. Based on hearsay and research, I will suggest some CDS group. Based on popularity and relevance, the FRSC CDS is a good one, it avails you free driving lessons, express driving license, and espirit de corps through the id card. If you love journalism and information dissemination like I do, the Publicity CDS is for you as it gives you a runaway ticket from parades while in Camp and being posted to the state capital as part of the editorial crew. Another lucrative CDS is the NYSC band that’s if you are musically blessed and creative, you will be posted very close to the Camp. Other CDS are Medical and Health, MDG, ICPC, EFCC, Tourism, Charity and Welfare, etc. The most important thing is to join the CDS of your choice before leaving camp, or else, you will end up in just any CDS.
My fellow Corpers in-waiting, your service year is not just for fun. Another thing that you should do is “write your CV” if you do not have one yet. If you do not know how, there are many CV writing sites (I recommend PushCV and JarusHub) that you can use for a small fee. Do not just write it, circulate it! Service year is also time to network and meet new people, utilize your access to people in opening Emotional Bank Account (EBA) in their heart so that you can withdraw from it whenever in dire need. Lastly, be ever present on the internet (that is if you are not posted to one off grid village), opportunities abound on the internet, make use of it judiciously.
Conclusively, service year is for you to reflect and plan your post-NYSC life, you might have done some planning in your final day in school, but this time, you are more knowledgeable and will view your life from the practical angle and not the fairy tale life you were shaping out while in school. School is tough, but outside school is tougher. Blank out the countdown to October 28 for now and plan for the service year. Adopt to my own 3P’s by planning, preparing and praying. Wishing you a beautiful and fruitful service year.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To Awaiting Corpers by Lawsimon(m): 11:05am On Jul 19, 2015
Hoping to join this batch. Praying day and night for speedy mobilization process in my school. My school dey dull...bureaucratic bottleneck go kill us o o
Re: Letter To Awaiting Corpers by Ademat7(m): 2:19pm On Jul 19, 2015
Nice write up; am a serving corps member so I can clear some air about your write up so let's go. You said u dnt want to influence ur posting in whichever state u r posted to therefore u will b posted to rural area(PPA) where cost of living is low though some get posted to secondary school in state capital where cost of living is high. U spoke about CDS grp but that's over hyped u will b shocked when u get there. Furthermore it is hard to make savings without state allowee because money will not come from home except if u r from a rich family. Mk I rest for now!
Re: Letter To Awaiting Corpers by segxes23(m): 6:24pm On Jul 19, 2015
Ademat7:
Nice write up; am a serving corps member so I can clear some air about your write up so let's go. You said u dnt want to influence ur posting in whichever state u r posted to therefore u will b posted to rural area(PPA) where cost of living is low though some get posted to secondary school in state capital where cost of living is high. U spoke about CDS grp but that's over hyped u will b shocked when u get there. Furthermore it is hard to make savings without state allowee because money will not come from home except if u r from a rich family. Mk I rest for now!
thanks for ur words. I won't influence it sir. Concerning CDs, I stated up there my reasons for the few ones I preferred,and lastly, state allawee is one of the factors I listed also. Anyways experience is what u have,and it is the best teacher.
Re: Letter To Awaiting Corpers by Sese2(f): 12:04pm On Jun 12, 2016
Ademat7, which group is good to join in camp,the one that will encourge and motivate you more.
Re: Letter To Awaiting Corpers by Ademat7(m): 2:25pm On Jun 12, 2016
Sese2:
Ademat7, which group is good to join in camp,the one that will encourge and motivate you more.
in camp social activities is what is available
* sport(volleyball, football)
* cultural ( dance,drama)
* quiz
* exco ( on all social activities)
*miss NYSC,macho man,big n beauty for fat ladies
POST CAMP
we have community development service group CDS GRP
*Environmental
*PET a.k.a HIV awareness pple
*Anti corruption
*Road safety
*sustainable development group father of MDGs
*Charity
*Education
*sport (those who distinguished themselves in sport on camp mostly posted to state capital)

(1) (Reply)

Companies In Need Of Corpers In Lagos / NYSC PPA In Oyo State / Register Your Business During NYSC To Assess FG Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.