Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,845 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:12 AM

5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time (26899 Views)

Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business / @mufclatestnews Removes Editor Who Said Nigerians Are A Waste Of Oxygen & Flesh / You Nigerians Are A Waste Of Oxygen And Flesh - @mufclatestnews Blasts Guy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by EMMYB0Y(m): 4:26pm On Jul 19, 2015
well it depends on the type of portal you are using. .. I have people that have been employed through portal like mobofree. .. jobberman and more. while other site only wants you to visit and click at least a link on their site. ... well just because of one bad egg doesn't mean we should not eat eggs again. ... apply for job online if u see any. . you never can tell where your own bread will be buttered. ..
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Caracta(f): 4:26pm On Jul 19, 2015
This is bullshit!

3 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by benedictjohn(m): 4:26pm On Jul 19, 2015
wow
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by EMMYB0Y(m): 4:26pm On Jul 19, 2015
ok
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by tiamiyukunle69(m): 4:27pm On Jul 19, 2015
Spot on
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 19, 2015
Copied !!
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by beyoncausme: 4:30pm On Jul 19, 2015
not really....

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Hope6289(f): 4:33pm On Jul 19, 2015
I wouldn't call it a waste of time. It has really helped some people I know. Just make sure u're subscribed to a genuine one. I recommend hotnigerianjobs and myjobmag.com. Hot nigerian jobs get most of their advertisements from newspapers and companies so they're authentic. I just pray God will help every job seeker out there the way He has helped some of us.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by tsdarkside(m): 4:34pm On Jul 19, 2015
no realy,,,and our leaders are away spending 2.2billion Naira for a vacation to that useless land called america...this money could be used to create some jobs........
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by judedwriter(m): 4:37pm On Jul 19, 2015
dhamstar:
True! Self-employment is the key!!

Youths need to start thinking outside the box!!!
yeah, true smiley but sadly many youths don't want to take risks!!! Self employment is far too risky, however entrepreneurs are the richest on earth today.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by ogaprime(m): 4:39pm On Jul 19, 2015
debris:
Me I have bought a dozen of brown envelope i put my CV and application letter I use leg distributing them everyday.

Alright, so what do you write on the envelope. Never knew it needs packaging...

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by anitank(f): 4:40pm On Jul 19, 2015
I wouldn't call it a waste of time. I got a job through one of those portals. The only thing I did when I was searching for a job was that I didn't apply through the portal. When I see a job ad, I'd go to the company website and then apply directly.

Depends on how you go about it. There are so many companies you wouldn't know are recruiting if not for those portals

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by tgmservice: 4:42pm On Jul 19, 2015
EUREKA!!!
EUREKA!!!
EUREKA!!!
I hav done it. FP at last after all this tym and about 200 post pls celebrate with me what a joyous moment. Pls like let's celebrate together

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by SuzieeDee(f): 4:42pm On Jul 19, 2015
PLS I NEED A FACTORY JOB OR WAITRESS OR SECETARY WATSAP 07069029610
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by seunlayi(m): 4:44pm On Jul 19, 2015
learn a trade when you have the opportunity, it may eventually be the key to unlock your fortune

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by hyelhira: 4:45pm On Jul 19, 2015
O ye of little faith!

tgmservice:
When I mean online search I don't mean applying directly thru the company websites I mean using online portals like naji, ng careers, 24careers, jobrapido and the rest. These are the mistake some of our youths make they solely depend on this portals for employment. Now am going to give u 5 good reasons why dat strategy is just a time waster.

1) The odds are against you
. When you apply for a job position no matter how specific it is, with d rate of unemployment in d country many other people apply also. For that position u fill is kind of hidden many other people not less than 1000 has also applied u can put ur chances of getting that job at 0.25% will u what to bet on that kind of odd. Even the job sites are fighting for odds against each other gone are d days where we had very few reliable sites lik jobberman, but nw they are everyway copying each other job posts. Relying on a portal for job is like relying on a blog for accurate news.

2)Some jobs posts are outdated
Most job sites don't pull down a job post immediately even when the job has been taken There is also a gud chance that job post u are aplying for might be outdated some portals fail to update their job post or intentionally leave them to drive more traffic to their sites even after the position might have been taken.

3) Most of the companies are fake
We hav all experienced this first hand ( d scam mails ) no need to talk more on this.

4) Some of the companies are not really recruiting
Some of the companies on job portals just fill job post just to follow NLC regulations of providing employment or advertising their business the truth is ( some ) are not really recruiting, these are unknown companies asking 4 ridiculous requirement. I will giv u an experience here I found a job post on a job portal of a company in ikeja looking for a network administrator I they put their address so I decided 2 go there mysef. On my investigation i discovered its just a small business that sells computers, when I asked them of the job they posted they said "which job" but later they admitted dey cud get me a job if I buy a computer from dem, they where just 2 small boys.

5) lastly it has never been about you
This is the most important reason, when u sign up to these portals u fill a lots of forms and along the line they encourage u why u should keep applying 4 jobs wit them with well crafted mails. But d truth is that In d job portal business there are 3 parties involved the job portal, the company posting job offer and u the applicant. In this chain u the applicant(middleman) gain the least if at all. The job portal gain from advertisement from the job posters or third party ads all they need u to do is just to keep cooming to their site if u get a job u are lucky if not they don't care.

Also the job advertisers gain in sense that they are advertising their business to lots of potential clients but u d applicant stand to gain the list consider urself lucky if u get a job.
Now

with this few reasons I hope I have convinced u why dropping ur cv to job portals an just hoping might just be a waste of time. I feel u stand a beta chance when u use ur networking power or a skilled u have acquired to do something or get a job 4 urself. Cheers.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 19, 2015
DEPENDS,
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by zinzane: 4:48pm On Jul 19, 2015
Well I don't totally agree because all the jobs I have gotten was through a Job site.... They list the advert and I apply through. Infact there will always be a medium and online is the surest.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by missKiffy(f): 4:49pm On Jul 19, 2015
OP don't dash our hopes abeg
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Emeskhalifa(m): 4:50pm On Jul 19, 2015
Hav tried alot but all na wash
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by handsomeyitayo(m): 4:52pm On Jul 19, 2015
Abdulmajee:
OP nice one.... you just nailed it..
Guy c dat jobberman nah fake job Site posta plenty.fake.medical marketin company use to disguise as real company..them be fools.i am a huge fan of jobberman.i receive almst 200interview sms of whch ar fake and they use d same address like onipanu.lanre shitu lagos..

3 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by 234GT(m): 4:53pm On Jul 19, 2015
Na lie o op. I got my Union Bank and First Bank jobs online and I did not know anyone in these banks.
I also got to final interviews at Globacom and GSK through online job search.
Different strokes for different floks!
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by lovelyadeola(m): 4:53pm On Jul 19, 2015
Bitter truth.. . . . Meanwhile checkout my signature.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by effrebor(m): 4:54pm On Jul 19, 2015
debris:
Me I have bought a dozen of brown envelope i put my CV and application letter I use leg distributing them everyday.

Confirm, your head dey dere

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by handsomeyitayo(m): 4:55pm On Jul 19, 2015
Caracta:
This is bullshit!
hw do u knw? it is a waste of time
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 19, 2015
ok...
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Youpele52: 4:57pm On Jul 19, 2015
Mama peace is not the first lady anymore but her womanhood still lives on

Ten unbelievable things you can do with toothpaste

https://www.nairaland.com/2462522/10-unbelievable-things-toothpaste
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Maxcollins042(m): 5:00pm On Jul 19, 2015
tgmservice:
When I mean online search I don't mean applying directly thru the company websites I mean using online portals like naji, ng careers, 24careers, jobrapido and the rest. These are the mistake some of our youths make they solely depend on this portals for employment. Now am going to give u 5 good reasons why dat strategy is just a time waster.

1) The odds are against you
. When you apply for a job position no matter how specific it is, with d rate of unemployment in d country many other people apply also. For that position u fill is kind of hidden many other people not less than 1000 has also applied u can put ur chances of getting that job at 0.25% will u what to bet on that kind of odd. Even the job sites are fighting for odds against each other gone are d days where we had very few reliable sites lik jobberman, but nw they are everyway copying each other job posts. Relying on a portal for job is like relying on a blog for accurate news.

2)Some jobs posts are outdated
Most job sites don't pull down a job post immediately even when the job has been taken There is also a gud chance that job post u are aplying for might be outdated some portals fail to update their job post or intentionally leave them to drive more traffic to their sites even after the position might have been taken.

3) Most of the companies are fake
We hav all experienced this first hand ( d scam mails ) no need to talk more on this.

4) Some of the companies are not really recruiting
Some of the companies on job portals just fill job post just to follow NLC regulations of providing employment or advertising their business the truth is ( some ) are not really recruiting, these are unknown companies asking 4 ridiculous requirement. I will giv u an experience here I found a job post on a job portal of a company in ikeja looking for a network administrator I they put their address so I decided 2 go there mysef. On my investigation i discovered its just a small business that sells computers, when I asked them of the job they posted they said "which job" but later they admitted dey cud get me a job if I buy a computer from dem, they where just 2 small boys.

5) lastly it has never been about you
This is the most important reason, when u sign up to these portals u fill a lots of forms and along the line they encourage u why u should keep applying 4 jobs wit them with well crafted mails. But d truth is that In d job portal business there are 3 parties involved the job portal, the company posting job offer and u the applicant. In this chain u the applicant(middleman) gain the least if at all. The job portal gain from advertisement from the job posters or third party ads all they need u to do is just to keep cooming to their site if u get a job u are lucky if not they don't care.

Also the job advertisers gain in sense that they are advertising their business to lots of potential clients but u d applicant stand to gain the list consider urself lucky if u get a job.
Now

with this few reasons I hope I have convinced u why dropping ur cv to job portals an just hoping might just be a waste of time. I feel u stand a beta chance when u use ur networking power or a skilled u have acquired to do something or get a job 4 urself. Cheers.
Nice information which you have passed across but op you made lots of grammatical errors at you write-up #Positve critic
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jul 19, 2015
These people....it's time you guys leave chasing jobs, the trend is beginning to get worrisome. Where are our entrepreneurs Where are our inventors, our business moguls...all seated behind a desk, waiting to retire and get a pension.

143 millions lines are connected today in Nigeria, more than half of that are making use of the internet service on their Smartphones, PC's and Tablets. Almost all of that number use more than 1 gigabyte worth of data monthly. That is, the normal Johnny on the street probably spends an average of #2000 surfing the web every month and #24,000 yearly. The amount goes higher when you move up a level higher to you and me. What are we doing with the data? Just scrolling through pages, viewing pictures and videos or actually doing something that could boost our financial status.

While some people may argue that people just want to buy data to do these, i have no problem with that. But i am aware there is no man on the planet who is comfortable with where he is. Human wants are insatiable, thus the hunger for improvement in every sphere of human nature. If you are one of such persons who has gotten to that point where you just don't feel right being on a Trillion Dollar per month platform which is the internet and not even able to make a single dollar off it, then this is for you..

Get the free fiverr training on this thread i have created here on Nairaland. Develop specialized in-demand skills sought by businesses online and offline and stop complaining about lack of jobs, wicked requirements or jobs already arranged for the connected.

The complete Free Fiverr Training Thread on Nairaland with Screenshots
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by dperon(m): 5:09pm On Jul 19, 2015
I have a feeling I knw dis dude. Am sure u'll remember me if it's trully u.

OmniSparrow:
There's a satisfying feeling when you book space on a thread and it later hits fp.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Daddi: 5:09pm On Jul 19, 2015
tgmservice , pls elaborate on the networking stuff you mentioned in #5
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by smartesboys(m): 5:09pm On Jul 19, 2015
Why do our youth want to have position in office, why don't you go back to farm or go to market to carry goods on shoulder

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Get A Bank Teller Job In Any Nigerian Bank / Should Primary School Education Be Added To A CV? / CBN Offers Automatic Employment To Ebonyi First-Class Graduates Of Economics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.