Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

Help: Volkswagen T4 Auto Transmission Stuck In One Gear - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help: Volkswagen T4 Auto Transmission Stuck In One Gear (2055 Views)

Would You Buy This Rusty 1952 Volkswagen Beetle (ijapa) For N30million? / Amazing Transformation Of 1970 Volkswagen Beetle Car (photos) / These Habits Will Kill Your Auto Transmission Fast Please Avoid Them. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: Volkswagen T4 Auto Transmission Stuck In One Gear by Fixed: 10:49pm On Jul 18, 2015
Van Spec:
1993 Volkswagen T4 (Eurovan)
Mileage: 170k miles
Engine 2.5ltr, petrol
Transmission: Automatic
My location: Abuja

Background: The van was purchased just this week from Berger by a brother of mine whom I thought could do a detailed inspection, purchase, and deliver to me in Abuja. Apparently, he got a very clean van, too clean for its age which I like. However the van runs on only 1 gear and he said he didn't realize it until he had moved very far from Lagos and this was the following day after purchase. The bus came to Abuja without any issue on the way. The van looks good and I drove it today. Surprisingly I seem to want to keep it hoping the issue can be fixed. I have called the dealer and he said we will talk tomorrow as he sounded so surprised that a van could get to Abuja in good time and yet I am claiming the gear is faulty.

My observation: It appears the gear is permanently stuck in 3 though I may be wrong. There are no shift points. It idles at around 750rpm and takes off sluggishly from 2500rpm. It does not achieve 100-110km/hr until around 5000rpm which is just below the redline. Even though the top speed is 220km/hr, any attempt to go beyond 120km/hr will redline the engine.

I took the engine to a Volkswagen mechanic who observed that the connectors on a particular gear cable was dirty and he cleaned it with a carburetor cleaner and reconnected it. After a test drive, the transmission shifted for the first time but very roughly. Then it returned back to the 1 gear system from rest. The transmission oil sump showed its been opened not too long ago and the oil looks clean though I am not sure of what brand/type in there. I am not sure if starting from oil change will pay off. There are tons of information on T4 forum unfortunately hours of research has not paid off for me.

Also the power steering is not as light as I expected, is this normal please?

Any suggestions on what to do or any reputable VW mechanic (not Kazeem) in Abuja?
Re: Help: Volkswagen T4 Auto Transmission Stuck In One Gear by Fixed: 11:03pm On Jul 18, 2015
I plan to do a scan tomorrow when my I get back my scanner. Not sure of the location of the scan scan port and if it OBD II compliant.
Re: Help: Volkswagen T4 Auto Transmission Stuck In One Gear by calculation(m): 10:12pm On Jul 20, 2015
Fixed:
Van Spec:
Engine 2.5ltr, petrol

Background: The van was purchased just this week from Berger by a brother of mine whom I thought could do a detailed inspection, purchase, and deliver to me in Abuja. Apparently, he got a very clean van, too clean for its age which I like. However the van runs on only 1 gear and he said he didn't realize it until he had moved very far from Lagos and this was the following day after purchase. The bus came to Abuja without any issue on the way. The van looks good and I drove it today. Surprisingly I seem to want to keep it hoping the issue can be fixed. I have called the dealer and he said we will talk tomorrow as he sounded so surprised that a van could get to Abuja in good time and yet I am claiming the gear is faulty.

My observation: It appears the gear is permanently stuck in 3 though I may be wrong. There are no shift points. It idles at around 750rpm and takes off sluggishly from 2500rpm. It does not achieve 100-110km/hr until around 5000rpm which is just below the redline. Even though the top speed is 220km/hr, any attempt to go beyond 120km/hr will redline the engine.

I took the engine to a Volkswagen mechanic who observed that the connectors on a particular gear cable was dirty and he cleaned it with a carburetor cleaner and reconnected it. After a test drive, the transmission shifted for the first time but very roughly. Then it returned back to the 1 gear system from rest. The transmission oil sump showed its been opened not too long ago and the oil looks clean though I am not sure of what brand/type in there. I am not sure if starting from oil change will pay off. There are tons of information on T4 forum unfortunately hours of research has not paid off for me.

Any suggestions on what to do or any reputable VW mechanic (not Kazeem) in Abuja?

Am sorry that u didn't hear from me. The truth is am only aware that u sent me a msg, but unable to access the msg talk less knowing the content. if u are on bbm u can tell me so that we chat.
Re: Help: Volkswagen T4 Auto Transmission Stuck In One Gear by mayor2013: 11:48pm On Jul 20, 2015
Your van is obd1 complaint so running a diagnosis might be difficult but its achievable. But from your story up there. The truth is you are on your way to buying another gear box
Re: Help: Volkswagen T4 Auto Transmission Stuck In One Gear by calculation(m): 10:11pm On Sep 08, 2015
Fixed:
Van Spec:
Engine 2.5ltr, petrol

@Fixed, am interested in the update on how the issue of ur gear is resolve.
Re: Help: Volkswagen T4 Auto Transmission Stuck In One Gear by DECOtech(m): 11:22pm On Sep 09, 2015
Fixed:
Van Spec:
Engine 2.5ltr, petrol

when a vehicle speed sensor doesn't communicate well with the ecu/TCM, the transmission will hardly shift gears. since the van isn't obd2 compliant, a scan can be achieved only with a VW obd1 scanner or within high end scanners that are equipped for both obd 1 & 2 diagnosis.

(1) (Reply)

2004 Toyota Sequoia Vs 2006 Nissan Pathfinder Vs 2006 Hyundai Terracan / Choice Of Gear Oil. / Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.