Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,192 members, 7,780,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:26 PM

Setting – The Man Trap - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Setting – The Man Trap (516 Views)

Short Story: The Man Is Coming / The Man: Bob Dylan, Newly Crowned Nobel Laureate / The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Setting – The Man Trap by Appswheel(m): 2:33am On Jul 19, 2015
Onuche a SS 3 boarding school student observed that the Uredo House SS 1 boys were making noise when they should be observing siesta. He thought in his mind, “I pray that Kola should be one of the noise makers………….”

He jumped out of his bed and made for the SS 1 dormitory, on entering Uredo house his eyes caught Kola at the left most corner of the room. He was not contributing to the noise but was sitting upright on his bed.

Onuches face was aglow with rage, this sent shivers down the spines of the SS 1 boys. A pin drop silence followed which was disrupted by Onuches baritones’ voice, “SS 1 Uredo House boys! Una don die this afternoon, una papa all…… When I am done with you, you will learn to observe siesta when you should”. He pulled out his leather belt, and landed 5 lashes on their backs.

At Kolas turn, the intensity of the lashing tripled, Onuche lashed out the belt with all his energy and increased Kolas tally to 7 strokes. After his departure, Kola enjoyed the empathy of his roommates. While acknowledging and appreciating his roommates concern and thoughtfulness he muttered, “na setting”

Hear his side of the story…………

On my way back from evening dinning about three weeks ago, Snr. Onuche waylaid me at the bend between the SS 2 and SS 1 block. “wetin una chop for dinning” he queried, I responded that we ate rice. “Make I jack two spoons” he said pointing a "soup spoon" at my food flask. “No please…………..” was my response. This explanation made them realize that Kola was the target of Onuches rage. They exclaimed almost in unison “See setting!”

Ojochide a SS 1C student once experienced the same. She went to the labour ground without a cutlass or broom. Usman, the Library prefect who punished those without any work tool showed her no mercy. On two occasion, she had rudely turned down the labour prefect request to be her lover. He related the story to his friends who took it upon themselves to deal with her on his behalf.

If you attended a boarding house school in the 1990s the scenarios painted in this piece may be familiar to you. At Federal Government College Ugwolawo we referred to it as “Setting”. Setting is a Predator, Prey syndrome. The senior students are potential predators while a junior student is potential prey - whenever he/she turns down a senior students request. The only way not to fall prey to the seniors trap is to obey all school rules and regulations – which is almost impossible.

Where a student happen to observe all the school rule, the scope of the trap is expanded to target the prey indirectly like the case of Kola.

Did you experience setting during your boarding house day? Did you “set” for anyone? or Did you fall prey to setting? Share your experience with me

(1) (Reply)

Suicide By Accident – OLUWAFEMI OGUNDE / Use Google On Whatsapp / Words Win Wars - #wowafrica

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.