Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,944 members, 7,806,731 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:04 PM

Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities (51357 Views)

/ 20 Courses You Can Study Without Mathematics In Nigerian Universities / While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by idoibla: 11:06am On Jul 19, 2015
Noted! Awaiting minister 4 education.
Why you no add kidnaping and insurgency management with bomb detonement enginering
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nurudey(m): 11:08am On Jul 19, 2015
Op has a point and wat he is driving at....

But bringing this to reality...you need to understand that the courses u listed as useless and should be scrapped are actually what universities re there for in the first place.

The second list of courses u put there are very vital also, but they re actually what COLLEGES are established for. And by colleges, I don't mean secondary schools....

Now, what colleges do is that they train you on how best to do things and when, universities teach you the theory behind why things re done that way and how to improve it.

What we should push for is a system where everyone is made to do some years in colleges before moving to the uni if still interested.

Truth be told...colleges make you an entrepreneur, universities make u a consultant....so in Nigeria today...we have 99% consultants and 1% performers....so who will employ who? Food for thought.[/quote]

Good reasoning, God bless you bro.
Colleges (technical) should be revamped. I share the op 's argument cos of suffering in the land. Mean, Wat's d use of an MSc who still has to ride okada for survival?

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by AleAirHub(m): 11:09am On Jul 19, 2015
Who so even that push these to front page is olodo & why the author of the post will ever remain blind to the benefit of those courses he or she make childish statement about...
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by kingralph(m): 11:10am On Jul 19, 2015
I think the OP should be grateful that a course of study like Zoology exists otherwise there wouldn't have been a person like former president Goodluck Jonathan. The OP seems to be a staunch PDP sympathizer
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 11:12am On Jul 19, 2015
op u smoke weed so u wan scrap political science abi Nigerians needs serious education.. Imagine wat a literate is talking about. Did you know wat political analysis means

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by luthorcorp: 11:14am On Jul 19, 2015
one main truth there is that technology has really made a tremendous advancement these rescent years in making little efforts cover more grounds n vast revenues..what a political scientist can reap,can be done even better with a lawyer ...I wonder what a public/business admin will do DAT an account can't handle or an estate manager(sorry management) can handle that a surveyor or even an architect can't do....so bottom line is its not that they were entirely useless in fact we have them to thank for today's technological breakthrough but the fact is more grounds are now covered with little or no resources.....perhaps gone are he days where u meet a battalion tellers @ d bank,thanks to ATM machines and computers....
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by teebaxy(m): 11:17am On Jul 19, 2015
political science?mbanu... that course is to helpful than to scrap it...instead the fg can merge international relations, public admin industrial relation,history and d likes with political science. as a matter of fact none deserved to be scraped.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 11:18am On Jul 19, 2015
Lol m here to read comments.... But these courses re important too cus u did nt study any if it doesnt mean u should condemn it.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 19, 2015
amani337:
botany should be de first to be scrap scrapped out
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by herald9: 11:22am On Jul 19, 2015
• Philosophy

I love philosophy damn much. But this is the most craziest courses have ever done. They question everything without providing answers as every answers leads to more questions. In fact this course never provide solutions to any problem. They disagree between themselves and hold different perspectives. One funny thing is during exams, they'll expect us to be cramming the names of some early philosophers and their different, conflicting, sometimes almost similar philosophies like say we no get other things to read. I admire them tho. But unfortunately there's no ministry of wisdom in Nigeria.

• Zoology
Hmmmm

• Sociology
Haba OP. This course is legit na. They are our future detectives and vice versa.

• Social Work
Which one be this?

• Linguistics
Hahaha hmmm reminds me of my former female friend. sad

• Combined Social Sciences
Did you mean social science as a whole

• Public Administration (which public?)
• Political Science
In my school, they're all combined and holds the largest population in social sciences.

The study the government, criticizes it and fights for human rights. In this world of injustice we need them.

My favorite slogan: Man is a political animal. cool

• Estate Management (which Estate abeg?)
hmmmm

• Religion
Hahahaha. Extensive brainwashing. When religion mixes with education what do we have? But wait, my uncle is lecturing this course.lipsrsealed

• Insurance
• Marketing
Dunno o

• Botany
speechless.

• Library Science
Power house of books. Dunno how lucrative it is cause everything in Nigeria is all about income.

• Corporative Economics
Economics? If you mean economics it should be outta this list o cause I still admire Prof. Soludo.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by UncleJudax(m): 11:24am On Jul 19, 2015
Bilabong:
Ur opinion don't matter.
It is 'Does', not Don't. I bet you studied linguistics tongue grin
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 11:24am On Jul 19, 2015
Nnaeb:
• Philosophy
• Zoology
• Sociology
• Social Work
• Linguistics
• International Relations
• Archaeology
• Banking and Finance
• Political Science
• Religion
• Insurance
• Marketing
• Physics and astronomy ( There is nothing astronomical about this course in Nigeria)
• Botany
• Library Science
• Corporative Economics

If the federal government are not doing anything by now to scrap this courses from our universities, then it means our economic liberation as a nation is still far-fetched. This courses should be replaced with the courses below. Not as a vocational program now, but as a degree program. Nigerians don’t like to identify with anything vocational, they love to go for ‘NYSC’.
• Software Development
• Welding and Fabrication
• Fashion Designing
• Concrete Finishing (Plastering, Screading, Painting, Tiles)
• Interior designing and Decoration
• Security Systems Technology
• Wood Finishing
• Road Construction Tech
• Leather Extraction and Finishing
• Cinematography and Movie making
• Advanced Programming
• Furniture making
• Solar Engineering
• Automation Engineering
• Hospitality Management
• Waste Management and Recycling Tech
• Web Development and Management
• Graphics, Branding and Industrial Printing
• Plant technology and Herbal sciences
• Content development and Research

If we can embrace this, unemployment will be reduced drastically.
Brown Uzoukwu, (jobtrends.com.ng)

Do you know your brain is not working at all?

To introduce new courses, old ones should be scrapped because those courses are something you miniature brain cannot comprehend its use and importance.

E-diot!!!

Anyone who even considers the garbage you put up there is a disgrace to civilisation!
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by davidas101(m): 11:26am On Jul 19, 2015
Rexphobia:
I will alone give you my undivided attention if you show me your degree in all those courses.
Lolzzz, I laffin laff...

Ignorance is indeed bliss.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by BodePolScience: 11:27am On Jul 19, 2015
micronut:
MY TAKE

Op is a short sighted fellow, funny and worst courses are in advance countries.. Why do you think there is "African study" in Cambridge?? Why are they offering French and other language in US schools? Cos every small thing matters to them over there. The truth is that most of the courses we have in Nigeria have no relevancy to our Labour market, that is why a graduate that studied a course for four years, would be asking where he or she can work.

Many of those courses were introduced when Nigeria was still great, courses like Print Technology (Gone are the days of Academic press and many other paper mills like one in Erin ile, kwara state). These structures are now abode for rodents and games.

Polymer Engineering , Agronomy ( When Agriculture was still the hallmark of our national Economy), Industrial and Textile Engineering, Paint and Glass Technology (History had it that Kaduna alone has nothing less than 50 textile factories then couple with many others in places like Ado-Ekiti), this industry absorb the graduates of the aforementioned courses as their manpower, Metalugry and Material science (most of our steel rolling mills are now moribund and in comatose)..

Having said all that, This does not warrant this scrapping of this courses cos only a short sighted country would do that, because a visioneer plans for where he or she is going and not where he or she is, presently.

Many graduates of Agricultural courses like Animal Health and Husbandry, fishery among many others are even ashamed to explore the world of agriculture, you find them looking for jobs in banks, attending management trainee programmes in FMCG, in Auditing companies and the likes, thereby dumping what they went to study for five years!

Many that studied Computer science are not ready to think and be gainfully employed, Graduates of Arts are now getting competition from even products of Law and many allied courses for the lofty Entertainment Industry.

Now most graduates now focused on Entertainment, Joining forces like Army, NSCDC, Immigration, Police without the love of the job, Saturated Industries like Banking, oil and gas, Auditing coy like KPMG, PWC et al. Nothing like Hospitality and Tourism Industry, Even few are Looking at ICT, Agricultural sector has been totally Abandoned.

Until Every graduate, sit down and think that what we study in school does not matter but what we bring out of it and how we can find something meaningful out there to engage in, we may continue to grumble for a long time.
well said Sir,
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by drix128: 11:27am On Jul 19, 2015
Please, where can one enroll for a course in waste management and recycling tech in Nig?

Anyone, please?
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by okenna1(m): 11:29am On Jul 19, 2015
100% wrong
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by oseka101(m): 11:32am On Jul 19, 2015
Nnaeb:
• Philosophy
• Zoology
• Sociology
• Social Work
• Linguistics
• Archaeology
• Banking and Finance
• Political Science
• Religion
• Insurance
• Marketing
• Physics and astronomy ( There is nothing astronomical about this course in Nigeria)
• Botany
• Library Science
• Corporative Economics

If the federal government are not doing anything by now to scrap this courses from our universities, then it means our economic liberation as a nation is still far-fetched. This courses should be replaced with the courses below. Not as a vocational program now, but as a degree program. Nigerians don’t like to identify with anything vocational, they love to go for ‘NYSC’.
• Software Development
• Fashion Designing
• Wood Finishing
• Road Construction Tech
• Advanced Programming
• Furniture making
• Solar Engineering
• Automation Engineering
• Hospitality Management

. dude next time try and do a proper research before posting u don't even know the definition of an "Estate" which is just sad... anyways I don't blame ya U think like an average Nigeria .

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Mainman4: 11:32am On Jul 19, 2015
OP...I pity ur unborn children

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by delors(m): 11:33am On Jul 19, 2015
So in your view, scrap and replace us the best method? Why not just include the suggested courses while improving on the others u wanted scrapped? See view o
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by erisegun: 11:36am On Jul 19, 2015
Op, I see say u no get sense cheesy

Oya! Receive it in Jesus name
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by fratermathy(m): 11:37am On Jul 19, 2015
Freemanan:
Fratermathy have you seen this?

The Op failed to realised that human capital development in all aspects of life including the so-called "scrappable courses" is a prerequisite for development.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by MrDoGood(m): 11:37am On Jul 19, 2015
I can see that the op hate education.
Studying is a big problem for him
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by teepsee(f): 11:40am On Jul 19, 2015
I support. But ma problem is, those courses are mostly occupied by the ladies. Or u no want mk them go school again?
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Bilabong(m): 11:40am On Jul 19, 2015
UncleJudax:

It is 'Does', not Don't. I bet you studied linguistics tongue grin
That must be my auto correct ' s fault. You must be very jobless to have noticed such mistake and even mentioning me
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Werehkpe: 11:44am On Jul 19, 2015
I think the OP did not go to school. He must be an artisan
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Roseey0(f): 11:44am On Jul 19, 2015
We need a paradigm shift. From theory to practice. Not a scrap.

If edo state government will implement some of my recommendations from my final yr project, edo will develop without a dine from d fg. My recommendation is wasting away in a dusty shelf. Am not even sure my supervisor read it.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 19, 2015
donholy28:
In otherwords no more courses and no more universities... olodo op

Na you be the real olodo
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by maestroz: 11:45am On Jul 19, 2015
In my candid opinion, our courses aint worth it any longer and all should be scrapped. How do we explain scenarios where we come on social media to celebrate our leaders children having gone abroad to study thus making our universities worthless and having no bearing. Our universities have now been reduced to a grammar and commoner school where the knowledge gotten is aint worth it. Some companies even prefer degrees from cotonou to an ABU, OAU and the likes.

Change must start with laws compelling our leaders to patronize our local schools and mandate their wards to do same.

Charity must start at home or else it is not worth it.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 19, 2015
donholy28:
In otherwords no more courses and no more universities... olodo op

Na you be the real olodo

What's the need to study banking and finance when someone who study yoruba can get the job and be trained on the Job.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by stchinedu: 11:47am On Jul 19, 2015
Nnaeb:
• Philosophy
• Zoology
• Sociology
• Social Work
• Linguistics
• Archaeology
• Banking and Finance
• Political Science
• Religion
• Insurance
• Marketing
• Botany
• Library Science
• Corporative Economics

• Software Development
• Fashion Designing
• Wood Finishing
• Road Construction Tech
• Advanced Programming
• Furniture making
• Solar Engineering
• Automation Engineering
• Hospitality Management

You are good! !! Love this write up.
However, not all the courses you suggested for scrapping are bad...Infact, none is bad if those who study them make good use of them. Your suggested courses on the other hand are good!!!

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Mrkachi(m): 11:48am On Jul 19, 2015
U re a big fool!
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by herlew(m): 11:49am On Jul 19, 2015
I guess the op is high or so, if you are considering scrapping any course not even a applied science like PHYSICS!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

See Photos From A Classroom In Kano State. / Pine Crest School, Enugu ‘Wedding’ For Pupils (Photos) / Pay Your Third Term School Fees, FG Tells Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.