Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust (5745 Views)

Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates / Help! Nissan Xterra Smoking From Exhaust / Nissan Xterra 2003 Water Draopping From Exhaust. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by Delafruita(m): 9:40am On Jul 19, 2015
hi to all the gurus.I use a ford escape 2001 and the recommended oil grade is 5w 20 which I have dilligently adhered to but then I noticed the engine oil gradually reduces.I had my mechanic check for leakages but there was none.after several inquiries,I was advised to go with a fully synthetic blend and that since the tribute of same year came out of same assembly plant with same engine and makes use of 5w 30,I could go with a fully synthetic 5w 30 which I did.when changing the oil,I noticed the previous 5w 20 was extremely light.no thickness at all.

immediately after putting in the hardex 5w30 fully synthetic blend,my car started to emit blue smoke.I gave it a few days to see if it will clear but it didnt.my mechanic thinks the oil isn't good for the car but I want to be sure it isn't something else.

I didn't do an engine flush before using the synthetic because I didn't want to run the risk of tampering with whatever sludge might have accumulated.

please advise as appropiate

thanks
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by chukel(m): 2:15pm On Jul 19, 2015
Tell us when u started using the Ford and when u started using 5w20. Did u buy the Ford toks or naija used. Of naija used, was the previous owner using 20w50. If yes, how long

1 Like

Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by Delafruita(m): 2:27pm On Jul 19, 2015
chukel:
Tell us when u started using the Ford and when u started using 5w20. Did u buy the Ford toks or naija used. Of naija used, was the previous owner using 20w50. If yes, how long
I bought it toks in November.and since then I have used only 5w20.
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by chukel(m): 4:48pm On Jul 19, 2015
Delafruita:
I bought it toks in November.and since then I have used only 5w20.
hmmmmm. which brand? milemaster?
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:52pm On Jul 19, 2015
Delafruita:
hi to all the gurus.I use a ford escape 2001 and the recommended oil grade is 5w 20 which I have dilligently adhered to but then I noticed the engine oil gradually reduces.I had my mechanic check for leakages but there was none.after several inquiries,I was advised to go with a fully synthetic blend and that since the tribute of same year came out of same assembly plant with same engine and makes use of 5w 30,I could go with a fully synthetic 5w 30 which I did.when changing the oil,I noticed the previous 5w 20 was extremely light.no thickness at all.

immediately after putting in the hardex 5w30 fully synthetic blend,my car started to emit blue smoke.I gave it a few days to see if it will clear but it didnt.my mechanic thinks the oil isn't good for the car but I want to be sure it isn't something else.

I didn't do an engine flush before using the synthetic because I didn't want to run the risk of tampering with whatever sludge might have accumulated.

please advise as appropiate

thanks

Boss piston rings are not in top shape.

Try mobil1 0W40 if it still shorts use total quarts 7000 15W50. If that does not help no solution than to ring engine or replace.
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by Delafruita(m): 6:35pm On Jul 19, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Boss piston rings are not in top shape.

Try mobil1 0W40 if it still shorts use total quarts 7000 15W50. If that does not help no solution than to ring engine or replace.
I also suspected the piston rings.however,i am still yet to understand why the engine never emitted smoke till the synthetic was used.my mechanic's logic is that the engine is used to the 5w20 and that draining the synthwtic and replacing with the 5w20 should stop the smoking.his logic might be warped,which is why I wanna understand why it is now smoking
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by Denn(m): 10:28pm On Jul 19, 2015
Possible your engine had gunk build up which was cleaned off by the detergents in the new oil. Oil now seeps past cracks initially blocked by old sludge.

So many issues can cause blue smoke.

Valve seals to rings to poor oil quality.

Is there a garage you can do a compression test? Can your mechanic check on the seals? Rings should be the last option IMHO.

If you are changing rings, don't go the made in China route. It is cheaper to just throw the cash and old engine in a nearby lagoon. Get OEM

1 Like

Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by Delafruita(m): 10:58pm On Jul 19, 2015
Denn:
Possible your engine had gunk build up which was cleaned off by the detergents in the new oil. Oil now seeps past cracks initially blocked by old sludge.

So many issues can cause blue smoke.

Valve seals to rings to poor oil quality.

Is there a garage you can do a compression test? Can your mechanic check on the seals? Rings should be the last option IMHO.

If you are changing rings, don't go the made in China route. It is cheaper to just throw the cash and old engine in a nearby lagoon. Get OEM
will draining the oil and replacing with what I have been using before stop the smoke?but then I will still have to contend with the shortage problem.or perhaps I should try another synthetic brand aside from the hardex oil I initially used.I wanna exhaust options that don't require dismantling the engine and if the problem still persists,then I checkout the rings.

1 Like

Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by Denn(m): 11:21pm On Jul 19, 2015
Delafruita:
will draining the oil and replacing with what I have been using before stop the smoke?but then I will still have to contend with the shortage problem.or perhaps I should try another synthetic brand aside from the hardex oil I initially used.I wanna exhaust options that don't require dismantling the engine and if the problem still persists,then I checkout the rings.

If it is removed gunk that started the leak, I doubt changing oil will stop it. The engine is possibly now 'clean'.

Start from the top....change to a thicker oil grade, then do a compression test, then check valve seals.

1 Like

Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by Delafruita(m): 7:35am On Jul 20, 2015
Denn:

If it is removed gunk that started the leak, I doubt changing oil will stop it. The engine is possibly now 'clean'.

Start from the top....change to a thicker oil grade, then do a compression test, then check valve seals.
thanks.I will try the thicker oil grade,possibly a Mobil 1.however,I don't know any garage where I can do a compression test in my neighbourhood in Ojo,Lagos.but I will check around.thanks again
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by mayor2013: 8:04am On Jul 20, 2015
Delafruita:
thanks.I will try the thicker oil grade,possibly a Mobil 1.however,I don't know any garage where I can do a compression test in my neighbourhood in Ojo,Lagos.but I will check around.thanks again

If you arr in ojo my garage is @ Akesan. 13 Alhaji yekini olarewaju Akesan igando. If you need to do a compression test check my signature for my contact

1 Like

Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by appleshop: 1:53pm On Jul 21, 2015
chukel:
hmmmmm. which brand? milemaster?

Why Milemaster ?
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by chukel(m): 6:45pm On Jul 21, 2015
appleshop:

Why Milemaster ?
i dont trust that brand. used it on my camry and nearly knocked the engine. but i had peace of mind with mobil 1 5w30
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by sultaan(m): 7:24pm On Jul 21, 2015
If Ford recommended 5w20 for that car stick to it.

You said it was shorting oil you never mentioned if you have any leak, and all cars do burn oil.

Did you overkill with the new oil. And your check engine light is on fix those minor issues first before you cause major problems.

How is your air filter, I have rarely seen a car smoking with no CEL.
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by Delafruita(m): 8:45pm On Jul 21, 2015
sultaan:
If Ford recommended 5w20 for that car stick to it.

You said it was shorting oil you never mentioned if you have any leak, and all cars do burn oil.

Did you overkill with the new oil. And your check engine light is on fix those minor issues first before you cause major problems.

How is your air filter, I have rarely seen a car smoking with no CEL.
check engine light isn't on.and the new oil hasn't even been in the engine up to a week.no leak was observed and it was checked severally
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by appleshop: 11:01pm On Jul 21, 2015
chukel:
i dont trust that brand. used it on my camry and nearly knocked the engine. but i had peace of mind with mobil 1 5w30

Did it stop flowing ? Did it turn into sludge ? Was the oil getting short ?

Exactly how did MileMaster engine oil nearly knock your engine ?

Please share so we can all be informed.
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by chukel(m): 11:44pm On Jul 21, 2015
appleshop:

i was very happy that i changed from 20w50 to the recommended 5w20 (milemaster) for my camry. 5days after oil change, i heard rattles wen revving from gear 1 to 2 or trying to accelerate hard. thought it was my transmission. after changing transmission oil, it continued. 6th day, i realized i needed upto 2L to top up my engine oil. did that with milemaster too. rattling continued, oil continued shorting. i ran back to 20w50. engine rattle disappeared over time. i then tried mobil 1 5w30 and had peace since then. no short, no rattle

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by chukel(m): 11:48pm On Jul 21, 2015
appleshop:

Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by appleshop: 1:06pm On Jul 22, 2015
chukel:
i was very happy that i changed from 20w50 to the recommended 5w20 (milemaster) for my camry. 5days after oil change, i heard rattles wen revving from gear 1 to 2 or trying to accelerate hard. thought it was my transmission. after changing transmission oil, it continued. 6th day, i realized i needed upto 2L to top up my engine oil. did that with milemaster too. rattling continued, oil continued shorting. i ran back to 20w50. engine rattle disappeared over time. i then tried mobil 1 5w30 and had peace since then. no short, no rattle

From the time you changed to 5w-20 and switched back to 20w-50 before finally settling for 5w-30 have you had any mechanical repair work done to your engine ? If you don't mind my asking what year and size is your camry engine?

I really appreciate the time you are making out to respond.
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by chukel(m): 1:41pm On Jul 22, 2015
appleshop:

From the time you changed to 5w-20 and switched back to 20w-50 before finally settling for 5w-30 have you had any mechanical repair work done to your engine ? If you don't mind my asking what year and size is your camry engine?

I really appreciate the time you are making out to respond.
no engine work at all. 2007 camry 2.4L engine.
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by y2kola(m): 5:47pm On Jul 22, 2015
chukel:

Pls where can I get the mobil 1 5w 30 engine oil in Lagos plus oil filter for 03 Corolla? tnx
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by Mojibola(m): 12:00am On Jul 23, 2015
chukel:
2litres short in 6days, with no visible leakage or blue smoke?
..and you're sure engine oil was right quantity when it was replaced?

That is AfricanMagic oo.
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by chukel(m): 7:31am On Jul 23, 2015
Mojibola:

2litres short in 6days, with no visible leakage or blue smoke?
..and you're sure engine oil was right quantity when it was replaced?

That is AfricanMagic oo.
no leakage. noticed no blue smoke. the gallon is 5L if i can remember. are u saying i would pour half the quanity inside for oil change? what i narrated there was my experience with milemaster 5w20 in 2013
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by chukel(m): 7:33am On Jul 23, 2015
y2kola:

Pls where can I get the mobil 1 5w 30 engine oil in Lagos plus oil filter for 03 Corolla? tnx
pm me
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by sultaan(m): 3:39pm On Jul 23, 2015
chukel:
no leakage. noticed no blue smoke. the gallon is 5L if i can remember. are u saying i would pour half the quanity inside for oil change? what i narrated there was my experience with milemaster 5w20 in 2013

A gallon is 3.785 litres some small car might use 4 litres others use 5 or6 litres you have to use you dipstick
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by Mojibola(m): 10:01pm On Jul 23, 2015
chukel:

I'm not disputing your experience my brother, what bothers me is that the capacity is about 4.3litres, so when you say it got short of a whole 2litres, that's almost 50% gone in just 6days (with absolutely no idea how it disappeared). Good you noticed on time though.
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by Experience4u(m): 9:54am On Jul 24, 2015
I think am in the same dilemma, bought a rav4 2004 2.4L and changed the oil it came with to Visco 2000 20w50 and after three months I switched to Hardex 5w30 which is the recommended oil grade. My engine was flushed with a pressure pump of a sort. But after 3 days my engine started smoking whitish blue flame especially during morning hours or when not driven for a long time. I don't know why my engine smokes but with the change of oil, my car idling noise is now hardly heard. Pls gurus what is the cause of the light smoking
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by Experience4u(m): 4:46pm On Jul 26, 2015
Any solution house?
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by appleshop: 1:05pm On Jul 29, 2015
I am presently using MileMaster 5w-20 in a 2010 Honda Accord and MileMaster 5w-30 in a 2007 Toyota Yaris. I have been servicing these cars using this oils for more than 2 yrs now. The Honda has always used 5w-20 while the Yaris used to use Mobil XHP 20w-50 before I switched to MileMaster. I have never noticed any shortages in any of the cars regardless of the oil brand or viscosity used.

I would advise people who notice shortages to investigate a little bit more before they lay blame on the oil viscosity or brand.
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by anneki(m): 2:45pm On Jul 29, 2015
Experience4u:
I think am in the same dilemma, bought a rav4 2004 2.4L and changed the oil it came with to Visco 2000 20w50 and after three months I switched to Hardex 5w30 which is the recommended oil grade. My engine was flushed with a pressure pump of a sort. But after 3 days my engine started smoking whitish blue flame especially during morning hours or when not driven for a long time. I don't know why my engine smokes but with the change of oil, my car idling noise is now hardly heard. Pls gurus what is the cause of the light smoking

See link below
https://www.nairaland.com/1438030/adverse-effects-adding-too-much

Perhaps you have too much oil in your crankcase.
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by sultaan(m): 1:39am On Jul 30, 2015
I asked if you used your dipstick to double check on oil level but you never responded.

Like I said earlier a gallon is 3.785l now they can sell you a 5 litre keg but a gallon is still 3.785 so if your mechanic emptied a 5l keg into the car and said he added a gallon he's wrong.

Look at the chart attached your car needs 4l not 5 so it could be too much oil

http://www.ilma.org/resources/docs/motorcraftoilapplicationscrankcasecapacitieschart.pdf
Re: Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust by Experience4u(m): 7:49am On Jul 30, 2015
Should I revert back to 20w50 since 5w30 is too light so that the oil will stop leaking?

anneki:

See link below
https://www.nairaland.com/1438030/adverse-effects-adding-too-much

Perhaps you have too much oil in your crankcase.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

I am Thinking Of Buying Volvo S40 For Uber, Am I On A Suicide Mission / Today, I Found Out For Sure That, Connecting Radiator Fan Directly Is Not Good ! / Mature Cockroach @ 120km/hr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.